Bayern München v Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think it's any harm that expectations have been lowered. The only problem will be if things don't improve.

A bigger question is what exactly is gonna be available in the summer. There is little to suggest that any united manager will be given the 100m plus that being mentioned in papers.

Given the decade long over reliance on SAF and under investment in the team, I would be very worried that we will be selling to buy...
I think that Moyes will be given the money. He already spent 65m+ this year and there's nothing to suggest that he wont continue.

We won the league last season in a comfortable way. Ok the team is far from perfect but we shouldnt be satisfied with a draw against Bayern at home as much as we shouldnt accept a 7th place

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
I think that we played badly in the home game. Bayern dominated us, our 27m signing looked so out of depth and Bayern got a great result against us (1-1 at home is a killer in the CL). Today we did much better. I cant fault DM for the loss apart from maybe playing an injured player.

Controversial decisions are risky but Moyes cant keep playing safe all the time or else he end up predictable
Get your point totally but hell, if we were in Moyes' position wouldn't we be worried (given the shit he's had this season) if we start Rooney on the bench in our biggest game of the season?

The less said about Fellaini the better I think tonight mate - don't get me started :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Get your point totally but hell, if we were in Moyes' position wouldn't we be worried (given the shit he's had this season) if we start Rooney on the bench in our biggest game of the season?

The less said about Fellaini the better I think tonight mate - don't get me started :lol:
It was evident that he was injured. Getting him on the pitch would be madness.

If Moyes wanted to cover his arse he would have left Rooney out for the next game as well. That would have given the msg that Rooney's injury may be more serious than we think. This things do happen in football. What worries me is not Moyes playing Rooney but whether he's got the balls to keep him on the bench when the English is unfit/injured. Whose the boss? Rooney or Moyes? We never asked that with SAF.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
It is down to the players to concentrate and Evra is getting renown for not doing that. Tonight showed why that back four needs some new recruits. It is hard to know if Buttner would have been better, could he have been worse. We will never know.
Agreed Dom.

I've said it before that we need so many upgrades, that i'm actually boring myself to illness.. But hey - its Moyes' fault - they're champions after all..

Everyone that doesnt have rose-tinted glasses is wrong - our fans are worse than the scousers ffs!

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
It was evident that he was injured. Getting him on the pitch would be madness.

If Moyes wanted to cover his arse he would have left Rooney out for the next game as well. That would have given the msg that Rooney's injury may be more serious than we think. This things do happen in football. What worries me is not Moyes playing Rooney but whether he's got the balls to keep him on the bench when the English is unfit/injured. Whose the boss? Rooney or Moyes? We never asked that with SAF.
To be fair I think "covering his arse" could also be describes as "making excuses" - I think he thought even a half-fit Rooney could make a difference, a mistake our most successful manager ever has also made - just didn't work out sadly.

To be fair I don't think anyone ever asked "who's the manager" when Fergie dropped Rooney, but I know a hell of a lot who questioned his judgement, even after years of unmitigated success - rock and a hard place is the term I'm thinking for DM's prediciment :lol:

bugmat

Rooney is a big problem right now. Moyes doesnt have the balls to drop him when he should.
This - one thing to start him, but when he's obviously not fit enough and has to take injections...sub him. Taking off Fletch for Chich was a bad move. Rooney off was the move - he missed what are usually dead certain goals and the injury made a ess of him and our chances.

Moyes still isn't showing he has the balls necessary (yet) to make it long term here.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
overall agree with this post.
Wish i could have said something less negative, but its a disgrace a team of our stature havin no quality CM's. It truly is a feckin disgrace & that shit has been goin far too long. Its not all Moyes' fault after only 2 windows. No MF - no engine. Simple!

Carrick was invisible & played like a frightened girl. Fletch fecked up time & time again, but got over it & kept goin - respect to him for that. Carrick didnt want the ball because he was afraid of what he'd do with it. Most pathetic performance i've seen from Mike in the shirt. Awesome player for us over the years, but he's lettin himself down, game after game this season. Its sad to see, but i'm also gonna be avoidin any of his interviews relatin to tonights game. He wont say he was shite, just the same old babble that deflects blame....

LR7

Souness is actually making some fair points about Bayern never allowing the crowd to "be nervous".

We switched off (for the first time over the 2 legs) and the best team in the world finished it.
He's a utterly joyless individual. He made the point about the team with less possession getting tired about 15 times. We get it Sourness.

redevil2

Some lads I was watching it with said the same, even myself said "get Hernandez on and stretch them!" but I bet seeing Rooney starting most were happy with Moyes - it was a mistake in hindsight maybe, but a mistake with the best intentions.
I wouldn't bother to look up my posts, but I said it before they got their second goal, that we should make subs. and try to get a goal before it was too late.

Starting Rooney was on basis that the injury wasn't getting in the way. By the time he's not effective any more, using Januzaj and Giggs even, would have made a difference. Instead he tool Welbeck off. What had he done wrong to be sub, whereas Rooney should have been taken off? Anyway, no European football is going to be hard next season. We fans have to adjust our mentality like we were Everton fans. Sigh

Loublaze

ATLien
This - one thing to start him, but when he's obviously not fit enough and has to take injections...sub him. Taking off Fletch for Chich was a bad move. Rooney off was the move - he missed what are usually dead certain goals and the injury made a ess of him and our chances.

Moyes still isn't showing he has the balls necessary (yet) to make it long term here.
To make things worse ive come across people saying Welbeck was at fault for passing to an injured player. I cant :lol:

redevil2

That, plus he hasn't had the tactical mind. I had said earlier that if Giggs had a say, Rooney would have been off and let Janazaj have a go for more minutes. Giggsy himself has the experience to make a difference as well.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Wish i could have said something less negative, but its a disgrace a team of our stature havin no quality CM's. It truly is a feckin disgrace & that shit has been goin far too long. Its not all Moyes' fault after only 2 windows. No MF - no engine. Simple!

Carrick was invisible & played like a frightened girl. Fletch fecked up time & time again, but got over it & kept goin - respect to him for that. Carrick didnt want the ball because he was afraid of what he'd do with it. Most pathetic performance i've seen from Mike in the shirt. Awesome player for us over the years, but he's lettin himself down, game after game this season. Its sad to see, but i'm also gonna be avoidin any of his interviews relatin to tonights game. He wont say he was shite, just the same old babble that deflects blame....
Fletcher could not play another game after Saturday...if he had been fresh?? who knows.....Carrick does not have the legs anymore. And Rooney...well he should not have played today...but that shows where we are these days. I'm not mad at Moyes. the team needs a lot of rebuilding unfortunately. Bayern were not all that better imo. I know that seems a contradiction...but we could have won this... but we did not have the quality. I'm sure we will rebuild in the summer and we will be back. we are not too far from being Champions again...and really be as good as the 4 best in Europe.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wouldn't bother to look up my posts, but I said it before they got their second goal, that we should make subs. and try to get a goal before it was too late.

Starting Rooney was on basis that the injury wasn't getting in the way. By the time he's not effective any more, using Januzaj and Giggs even, would have made a difference. Instead he tool Welbeck off. What had he done wrong to be sub, whereas Rooney should have been taken off? Anyway, no European football is going to be hard next season. We fans have to adjust our mentality like we were Everton fans. Sigh
Welbeck was fecked.......he'd run his bollox off and was looking tired.

Distracted Steward

Proud of the effort and spirit in defense. Over the two legs there were chances to leave us wondering what might have been.

It's hard to watch the boys have to knowingly play second fiddle. It was always trying to stop Bayern and never having a go. Without a better midfield the team just can't compete at the top level.

There's pride and spirit left but not much of playing identity. Moyes has a lot of questions to answer this summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.