Bayern Munich 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mensch ist der United

Supports
FC Bayern München & Bursaspor
I cannot remember a time when the Bayern board has been as weak as in this moment. Rummenigge and Hoeneß lost so much credibility and reputation with that silly media complaint, where they just stand out as hypocrites who cannot take critism but firing out critism is no problem. They should find one or two succeeder very fast, instead they appointed a smiling puppet like Brazzo, who just does what they say... I can understand why Lahm did not want the job. If nothing changes in the near future I do not think we will continue to be peak in germany, not even talking about europe.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Apparently Bild are reporting that Bayern's senior players (Neuer, Boateng, Hummels, Müller, Robben, Ribery are named) aren't too happy with the presser, because it created unnecessary additional pressure and they would've rather spoken for themselves (with performances on the pitch).
Müller is quoted with "We spoke about it among ourselves. Everone has his own individual opinion, but it's not always getting us forward".

Looks like Bayern's legal threats didn't scare them :lol:

Last edited:

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
Uli Hoeness is mentally ill and has a disturbed perception of reality. He was sitting in one of his talk shows and bashed people who evaded taxes while doing exactly that at the same time.
He lost all his credibility a long time ago...

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
It's a shame Uli Hoeness is destroying his reputation ever since his tax frauds. You can tell he still fully loves Bayern and hence his fiery press conference, it showed how the criticisms of the Bayern players touched him at the heart. Nevertheless it seems he is out of touch with the modern world. Perhaps in the 80's or the 90's his kind of leadership still worked, but today it just doesn't. The same goes for his perspective on squad planning. Rummenigge wants to invest big, buy big names and establish Bayern further as a worldwide brand, but Hoeness doesn't. Honestly it is best for him if he goes, no matter how painful of a realization that will be for him.

Dunkelheit

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I almost feel sorry for Bayern.... and that says a lot. They will recover though, but if BVB is coming up strong this season, I doubt that they can buy BVBs key players in the next transfer window. Contracts are too fresh and the wages are no longer THAT much bigger.
But Bayern has A LOT of money.... most exceptional clubs in Europe have huge, huge debts, Bayern is like 500 Million in the plus. If they want to take a risk, they can buy everything and everyone they want to. Hoeness is keeping them from doing that though and I think he is right. When you buy big, you can always lose big. It is a risk, especially when you have no Sheikh backing you up.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think it's just remarkable they let a convicted felon walk right back into his former job. Can't remember a case like that in any Western industry.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Think it's just remarkable they let a convicted felon walk right back into his former job. Can't remember a case like that in any Western industry.
Well, in some other country even the president brags about his tax evasion skills. Not to defend Hoeneß, but there a surely a shitload of top managers who have been caught for tax evasion and similar financial shenanigans.
Siemens had this huge bribery scandal ten years back, and one among the countless guys involved is currently the CEO, appointed just a few years later (he never was convicted, of course).

Just looked at the Bundesliga table didn't realise BVB were doing so well - they're top of league.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well, in some other country even the president brags about his tax evasion skills. Not to defend Hoeneß, but there a surely a shitload of top managers who have been caught for tax evasion and similar financial shenanigans.
Siemens had this huge bribery scandal ten years back, and one among the countless guys involved is currently the CEO, appointed just a few years later (he never was convicted, of course).
Not to mention a lot of people were sentenced in Spain related to the tax evasion scandal. The only difference is they were found guilty but can remain in liberty. A lot of them. And one of them actually manages a certain club related with a certain forum.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
You guys on the other hand, where's it gone wrong? It's not a complete disaster though at least your still in the top 4.
It's hard to say if it's only a run of bad form over the last 3-5 games, with the match against Wolfsburg on the weekend already a turn for the better. Our start into the season hasn't been that bad, but there were signs of internal discontent after a few weeks, and performances of both the team and individual players got worse. We'll have to wait and see if things are already on the mend.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I almost feel sorry for Bayern.... and that says a lot. They will recover though, but if BVB is coming up strong this season, I doubt that they can buy BVBs key players in the next transfer window. Contracts are too fresh and the wages are no longer THAT much bigger.
But Bayern has A LOT of money.... most exceptional clubs in Europe have huge, huge debts, Bayern is like 500 Million in the plus. If they want to take a risk, they can buy everything and everyone they want to. Hoeness is keeping them from doing that though and I think he is right. When you buy big, you can always lose big. It is a risk, especially when you have no Sheikh backing you up.
Yeah I really can't see any BVB player going to Bayern next. Reus and Witsel are too old, Akanji and Diallo are too fresh and Sancho will get sold in the near future, but City has a first refusal on him and there is no way that Bayern can outbid City (or the rest of the top clubs who will all be after him).

Pulisic is a bench player at the moment and it is clear that he wants to go to the PL at some point, but that won't happen soon with how he is developing lately. BVB will want 50m+ for him, but no chance that Bayern pays that for a bench player.

The biggest piece in the puzzle is Favre anyways and as long as Bayern won't poach him, I think BVB will remain competitive.

In my opinion, Bayern will poach some young German talents next, I could see them going for several Leverkusen players and one out of Eggestein or Arne Meier. Regardless if that makes sense or not, that is how Hoeneß does things - he always wants to have the (future) core of the German NT at Bayern.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
They're old basically.
Actually, they aren't, except for Ribery(he's still very good) and Robben(he kinda lost it).
They have been together for too long, though. The hunger isn't there, and hence they lack that crucial bit of grit to be successful. This team needs a major blood infusion, but for these reasons and not because of age.
Other than that, Kovac looks out of his depth. He can set up a counter-attacking underdog just fine, but he lacks the vision and creativity to develop a successful and enjoyable possession based football. And because of that he'll be gone next summer(at the latest).
Oh, and of course our plot-losing board doesn't exactly help either...

Member 93275

These guys have been running things there for decades, and switching positions too. If I had been doing that with a couple of pals, and one of them did something naughty with his taxes, and pays the price, I think I would be wrong to dump my friend. That is a moment of truth. It's not like he killed or raped. He was punished, he completed his punishment, and I think they're looking good instead of bad to allow him to walk right back into his job. Not sure if that's normal for an "industry", but on a human level I have no problems with it and find it somewhat admirable they let him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
To be perfectly honest, after serving jail time you have paid your debt to society. So in an ideal world, it would be wrong to not let someone have a job because they served time.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah I really can't see any BVB player going to Bayern next. Reus and Witsel are too old, Akanji and Diallo are too fresh and Sancho will get sold in the near future, but City has a first refusal on him and there is no way that Bayern can outbid City (or the rest of the top clubs who will all be after him).

Pulisic is a bench player at the moment and it is clear that he wants to go to the PL at some point, but that won't happen soon with how he is developing lately. BVB will want 50m+ for him, but no chance that Bayern pays that for a bench player.

The biggest piece in the puzzle is Favre anyways and as long as Bayern won't poach him, I think BVB will remain competitive.

In my opinion, Bayern will poach some young German talents next, I could see them going for several Leverkusen players and one out of Eggestein or Arne Meier. Regardless if that makes sense or not, that is how Hoeneß does things - he always wants to have the (future) core of the German NT at Bayern.
If by "at the moment" you mean literally the last official game, then sure, yeah. However, the truth is that Pulisic started every game he was availabe except the two right after coming back from his injuries, when he was eased back in from the bench. Without his injury troubles he would be one of our players with the highest game time, certainly the most amongst the offensive youngsters. This also makes sense as he is our strongest wide midfielder if we exclude Reus, who spends most of his games in a central position now.

Pulisic is a case who went from slightly overrated to quite a bit underrated even amongst Dortmund supporter, especially since Sancho had his break out. The increasing possiblity that he might leave next Summer does not help his case either.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
If by "at the moment" you mean literally the last official game, then sure, yeah. However, the truth is that Pulisic started every game he was availabe except the two right after coming back from his injuries, when he was eased back in from the bench. Without his injury troubles he would be one of our players with the highest game time, certainly the most amongst the offensive youngsters. This also makes sense as he is our strongest wide midfielder if we exclude Reus, who spends most of his games in a central position now.

Pulisic is a case who went from slightly overrated to quite a bit underrated even amongst Dortmund supporter, especially since Sancho had his break out. The increasing possiblity that he might leave next Summer does not help his case either.
No one is denying that Pulisic is a very good talent. It is just a fact that Sancho has been better at RW this season than him and his 17/18 season has been a bit disappointing as well. Of course it was a shit year for Dortmund in general, but 16/17 was also difficult for a variety of reasons and Dembele shined spectacularly that season.

The expectation was that Pulisic would take over the mantle from Dembele, but so far he couldn't come close to that and Sancho has emerged, who will turn out even better than Dembele in my opinion.

A bit like the Marcus Rashford syndrome, where he was impressive as an 18 years-old and showed his class, but didn't develop in the same tempo you would expect. Both can still turn out to be great players, they are just nowhere near ready for starting every week at clubs like Bayern.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We'll see how things turn out. As much as I would love Bayern to miss out completely on Dortmund's new generation of talents, nobody expected the Götze signing either. However, thanks to Hoeneß being president again I think Bayern will primarily target German players again. It's just his habit. Fortunately most promising German wingers either arenÄt high profile enough yet (Brandt) or already out of their reach (Sane). Could imagine a Werner signing, though.

I also think that Bayern could be heading towards a rather underwhelming future. People underestimate the amount of luck they had on top of their undeniably excellent management.

Both Robben and Ribery were just the tier below Messi and Cristiano for a whole decade. Under normal circumstances Bayern would have never been able to get their hands on these kind of players considering their reputation and financial prowess at that point. Nobody else wanted these two players for different reasons back then while Munich seized the opportunity, made a huge bet on them and won. But I doubt this is reproduceable. Most likely they won't be able to sign this tier of players in the future and this will always hold them back.
Add to that a generation in which almost every big prospect developed brillantly (Kroos, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Müller) and you'll get a team that struggles to replace the aging squad adequately.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We'll see how things turn out. As much as I would love Bayern to miss out completely on Dortmund's new generation of talents, nobody expected the Götze signing either. However, thanks to Hoeneß being president again I think Bayern will primarily target German players again. It's just his habit. Fortunately most promising German wingers either arenÄt high profile enough yet (Brandt) or already out of their reach (Sane). Could imagine a Werner signing, though.

I also think that Bayern could be heading towards a rather underwhelming future. People underestimate the amount of luck they had on top of their undeniably excellent management.

Both Robben and Ribery were just the tier below Messi and Cristiano for a whole decade. Under normal circumstances Bayern would have never been able to get their hands on these kind of players considering their reputation and financial prowess at that point. Nobody else wanted these two players for different reasons back then while Munich seized the opportunity, made a huge bet on them and won. But I doubt this is reproduceable. Most likely they won't be able to sign this tier of players in the future and this will always hold them back.
Add to that a generation in which almost every big prospect developed brillantly (Kroos, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Müller) and you'll get a team that struggles to replace the aging squad adequately.
Haven't they been investing heavily on their Academy now?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They did.

I have yet to see an Academy which will spit out 18-year olds who walk into the starting eleven of a CL contender side on a regular basis.
I didn't said it will. But certainly they want to see more players coming. Playing for the first team is another matter.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
They did.

I have yet to see an Academy which will spit out 18-year olds who walk into the starting eleven of a CL contender side on a regular basis.
I know you are trying to be smart by saying "CL contender" instead of big club:D, but PSG has a really good academy and is bringing up new talents regularly. Funny that it's the Sheikh club doing it and not one of the old big clubs like Bayern or Barca:wenger:

There are also a number of other sides who do that kind of thing and who are really good (Atletico, Dortmund, Spurs).

Man Utd is not a CL contender, but they did bring up new talents from the Academy when they were at the top of the game and are still doing so during the recent barren years, so clearly supporting youth is not impossible to combine with being successfull. In fact without Marcus Rashford, Man Utd would have never won the Europa League in 2017 and that title is the only international title in the last 5 years not won by Spanish clubs.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They did.

18 maybe not, but 19-20 year olds happen regularly. Trent Alexander Arnold was 19 last season, Rabiot has been playing for PSG consistently, Koke and Saul have also been part of the first team from a very young age. Bayern are simply way behind the rest of the big European teams when it comes to developing their own talents. You had the fantastic generation of Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Muller, Alaba, Kroos and Badstuber to call to at the start of this decade but right now there doesn't seem to be any new blood coming through.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
18 maybe not, but 19-20 year olds happen regularly. Trent Alexander Arnold was 19 last season, Rabiot has been playing for PSG consistently, Koke and Saul have also been part of the first team from a very young age. Bayern are simply way behind the rest of the big European teams when it comes to developing their own talents. You had the fantastic generation of Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Muller, Alaba, Kroos and Badstuber to call to at the start of this decade but right now there doesn't seem to be any new blood coming through.
Koke and Alba are of same age btw. But your point still stands.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Koke and Alba are of same age btw. But your point still stands.
Alaba, I presume you mean. My point was that big European teams have youngsters consistently playing for them at a young age. Koke was part of their starting lineup from 19-20 iirc, now they have Saul and Lucas Hernandez. Bayern also had the same with the likes of Alaba, Kroos etc earlier but they haven't found a new generation to take over.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Alaba, I presume you mean. My point was that big European teams have youngsters consistently playing for them at a young age. Koke was part of their starting lineup from 19-20 iirc, now they have Saul and Lucas Hernandez. Bayern also had the same with the likes of Alaba, Kroos etc earlier but they haven't found a new generation to take over.
Yeah, i meant Alaba. Just wanted to point out, that Alaba and Koke are the same age. And Saul and Hernandez compare to Kimmich and Süle agewise.

MUFC OK

Think they could be about to enter a 'transition' period where they don't compete in Europe for a good few years. Best players are aging, young players coming through aren't necessarily all that. I'd take Thiago in a heartbeat though.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Yeah, i meant Alaba. Just wanted to point out, that Alaba and Koke are the same age. And Saul and Hernandez compare to Kimmich and Süle agewise.
Kimmich cost 10m and is a youth product of Stuttgart. Sule is from Hoffenheim, cost 20m plus and was a national team player before he signed for Bayern. They have nothing to do with Bayern‘s record of academy products.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
I didn't said it will. But certainly they want to see more players coming. Playing for the first team is another matter.
To be fair there were some which were regarded highly and it just didn't work out for reason not entirely related to BMs youth system: Höjbjerg, Sinan Kurt, Friesenbichler. Patrick Weiser had a good development at Hertha. That doesn't mean there isn'T room for improvement at Bayern and the new academy is second to none, but still it doesn't mean Academy output for the BM first team is in any way plannable, becuase it never is.

Kimmich cost 10m and is a youth product of Stuttgart. Sule is from Hoffenheim, cost 20m plus and was a national team player before he signed for Bayern. They have nothing to do with Bayern‘s record of academy products.
Not gonna happen. Bayens business model isn't "if we can't compete we'll do a transition period and develop a team", it is "if we can't compete, we spend money big time".

Also, as BVB's example shows, it is easier to step down on ambition (like, from a CL contender to a feeder club) than going back.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Think they could be about to enter a 'transition' period where they don't compete in Europe for a good few years. Best players are aging, young players coming through aren't necessarily all that.
Yep. After 2001 Bayern struggled in Europe until the surprising final in 2010 (where they were outplayed).

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Think they could be about to enter a 'transition' period where they don't compete in Europe for a good few years. Best players are aging, young players coming through aren't necessarily all that. I'd take Thiago in a heartbeat though.
I guess we will see in the summer how serious Bayern are about staying as one of the very top teams in europe, they simply have to flex some financial muscle and put big money into transfers.

Their hightest fee so far is the 38 million they spent on Tolisso, followed by the 36 million or so for Javi Martinez. Surely those won't remain their top transfers going into next season. Realistically they have to be looking at some serious attacking talent ready for the first team, with Robben and Ribery coming to the end of their Bayern careers, Müller doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as he was, Lewa isn't going to be great forever. Gnabry is a nice player as is Coman, but are these guys good enough right now, and ready to be regulars in a team who needs to be at the very top of the pile?

They likely need a new central defender too, also a full-back - at least a back-ups in their positions.

How much money do they need to spend, and will they spend in the summer?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I guess we will see in the summer how serious Bayern are about staying as one of the very top teams in europe, they simply have to flex some financial muscle and put big money into transfers.

Their hightest fee so far is the 38 million they spent on Tolisso, followed by the 36 million or so for Javi Martinez. Surely those won't remain their top transfers going into next season. Realistically they have to be looking at some serious attacking talent ready for the first team, with Robben and Ribery coming to the end of their Bayern careers, Müller doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as he was, Lewa isn't going to be great forever. Gnabry is a nice player as is Coman, but are these guys good enough right now, and ready to be regulars in a team who needs to be at the very top of the pile?

They likely need a new central defender too, also a full-back - at least a back-ups in their positions.

How much money do they need to spend, and will they spend in the summer?
Who are they supposed to get? Betting on talents is still their best option. I'd say someone like Douglas Costa is the best kind of finished player they can directly buy and he already proved to be not good enough for their ambitions. They'd need someone like Dybala, Coutinho, Salah, Bernardo Silva, Mane, Mahrez, Sane, Mbappe, Neymar, Hazard, Isco etc. but why would these guys go to Munich?

Their biggest problem is the coaching though. With a manager like Klopp, Guardiola, Sarri, Tuchel etc. they'd be able to become a unit that's greater than the sum of it's parts. But they let the opportunity slip and almost all promising coachs are now in long-term deals in England or Germany.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Who are they supposed to get? Betting on talents is still their best option. I'd say someone like Douglas Costa is the best kind of finished player they can directly buy and he already proved to be not good enough for their ambitions. They'd need someone like Dybala, Coutinho, Salah, Bernardo Silva, Mane, Mahrez, Sane, Mbappe, Neymar, Hazard, Isco etc. but why would these guys go to Munich?

Their biggest problem is the coaching though. With a manager like Klopp, Guardiola, Sarri, Tuchel etc. they'd be able to become a unit that's greater than the sum of it's parts. But they let the opportunity slip and almost all promising coachs are now in long-term deals in England or Germany.
you honestly don't think there is a level of player that they can go for that would strengthen them next season when (I pressume), Robben and Ribbery leave, and when they may well be looking at a new striker to at least offer competition to what they have. You are very selective in your list there! There's more than a few in Germany, a couple play for your club and a couple for my club that would add considerably to their team, let's not pretend they won't gladly sniff around them.

And they can target plenty of players in other leagues too like Gomez, Thauvin, Silva, Pepe, Icardi, Richarlison, Zaha, Suso, Martial, to name a very few.

Anyway, my point was - they will need to spend if they want to keep pace. But I do agree with you regards coaching, and that can have an impact on attracting players, which is something else to consider.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I wonder if they tried to sign Malcom from Bordeaux. Would have been an ideal Robben replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.