Bayern Munich 2019-2020

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
60-70m? I think not :p
While there are - compared to other elite clubs - not outrageous high fees paid, it's a bit more, yet very respectable considering the level this team is currently playing on:
Manuel Neuer joined for around 35 m €
Jerome Boateng for around 15 m €
Alaba came for 150 t €
Davies for 10 m €
Kimmich for around 10 m €
Goretzka on a free
Thiago for around 25 m €
Perisic's loan fee costs around 5 m € p. a.
Serge Gnabry for 8 m €
Thomas Müller free, since he's from their own youth
Lewandowski on a free

That's around 100 m € in total for fees. But bear in mind Bayern pay huge wages compared to their fees.

RooneyLegend

Why do people assume they are going to play with it against all teams? They obviously saw this as a way to hurt Barca and it very much paid off. I doubt they'll do the same against City.
Uhm, because they do so in pretty much every game?

Myrecks

actually, if he is talking pounds then it might be. i read their starting 11 cost them 90m euros. its insane to think their starting 11cost them that and barcelona had 410m euros on the bench between dembele greizmann and coutinho (bayern bench).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
They haven't played such a high line regularly in the BL, even against Chelsea it wasn't this high. Watching them today was a bit shocking for me to see how high up their defense was.

Don't think they'll try the same tactics against a better City team. I think they noted a slow Barca midfield with Busquets, Vidal and Roberto not good to resist pressure in midfield and decided to attack them with full force. You can't try the same against KdB and Silva.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Neuer 30 mil
Kimmich 8.5 mil
Boateng 13.5 mil
Alaba Youth
Davies 10 mil
Thiago 25 mil
Goretzka Free
Muller Youth
Gnabry 8 mil
Perisic Loan
Lewandowski Free

Total: 91 mil Euro

That's pretty cheap.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Neuer 30 mil
Kimmich 8.5 mil
Boateng 13.5 mil
Alaba Youth
Davies 10 mil
Thiago 25 mil
Goretzka Free
Muller Youth
Gnabry 8 mil
Perisic Loan
Lewandowski Free

That's pretty cheap.
I used pounds. Also Davies was around 16 million pounds (22m USD) including bonuses which was record deal apparently.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Neuer 30 mil
Kimmich 8.5 mil
Boateng 13.5 mil
Alaba Youth
Davies 10 mil
Thiago 25 mil
Goretzka Free
Muller Youth
Gnabry 8 mil
Perisic Loan
Lewandowski Free

That's pretty cheap.
Most importantly Bayern are a real team, all 11 are working really hard off the ball as well as on it. No big stars just walking around when they don't have the ball.

Shows us along with the €80m+ transfer thread that buying loads of really expensive players doesn't actually work very well. Should ignore fans demanding endless big money transfers. Galacticos in early 2000s was first example. This Barcelona have made the same mistake.

Need to get the correct players for the system you play, most importantly get quite at least a couple of youth players in the first team. Don't necessarily need spend loads of money, maybe just on one or two key positions.

Godfather

This was probably the hightest line they played all season. Was quite shocked at the start and thought it would be suicidal. But they knew Barca are a bunch of old fecks that can't run anymore. City is a different story.

RashyForPM

Sane to come into this team. Crazy.
Especially with Sane, I don’t think it’s an overreaction to say that this Bayern side has the makings of a GOAT team. Something like our 98-99 and 06-09 teams, Barca’s 08-12 team, Brazil 1970 and Madrid’s 1955-60 and 13-18 teams. They look absolutely sensational.

RashyForPM

But they knew Barca are a bunch of old fecks that can't run anymore.
An apt description. Griezmann and Messi stood in one place the whole game. Suarez tried, but he was just so slow that Alaba and Boateng simply passed around him like he was 5. The aforementioned pitifully lazy wingers didn’t help too.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Especially with Sane, I don’t think it’s an overreaction to say that this Bayern side has the makings of a GOAT team. Something like our 98-99 and 06-09 teams, Barca’s 08-12 team, Brazil 1970 and Madrid’s 1955-60 and 13-18 teams. They look absolutely sensational.
I think Bayern 2013 was not weaker to be honest, most balanced team I have seen. Best defence in modern football strategy wise, you never had the feeling the opposite team would make a goal, let alone have any shot on goal if you rewatch every game. It was similar to now, but way better defensively.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
You had to mention Bayerns team under Heynckes and Guardiola too. :( That we won only 1 CL during this period was really unlucky.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
You had to mention Bayerns team under Heynckes and Guardiola too. :( That we won only 1 CL during this period was really unlucky.
We didn't reach the highest echelon with Pep, we were found lacking on the biggest stage year after year. Other teams were simply better, and that's the best indication for them not being among the GOAT teams. Heynckes' team in 2013 was indomitable.

RashyForPM

I think Bayern 2013 was not weaker to be honest, most balanced team I have seen. Best defence in modern football strategy wise, you never had the feeling the opposite team would make a goal, let alone have any shot on goal if you rewatch every game. It was similar to now, but way better defensively.
We didn't reach the highest echelon with Pep, we were found lacking on the biggest stage year after year. Other teams were simply better, and that's the best indication for them not being among the GOAT teams. Heynckes' team in 2013 was indomitable.
Ah yes, knew there was a Bayern team I forgot. That team was brilliant and strangely got worse (obviously, not by much) when Guardiola came in. However, I do think this current one is already better. 100 goals in the league alongside dishing out battering after battering in the CL despite having a chunk of the season sabotaged by Kovac is phenomenal. Having Lewandowski helps too. The defence can be a bit dodgy, but the attack is just so pleasing on the eye and sways me towards the current one.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
However, I do think this current one is already better.
I think it's really hard to say, and I think our defense isn't as rock solid against pacey teams as it was 7 years ago. This season is also really unique and weird. Maybe the lengthy break Bayern had wasn't the sharpness-disadvantage that everyone thought it would be but turned out highly beneficial. Leipzig's win might be in indicator here.
The Corona-Situation definitely puts a small asterisk next to pretty much anything in this CL Tournament.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I think it's really hard to say, and I think our defense isn't as rock solid against pacey teams as it was 7 years ago. This season is also really unique and weird. Maybe the lengthy break Bayern had wasn't the sharpness-disadvantage that everyone thought it would be but turned out highly beneficial. Leipzig's win might be in indicator here.
The Corona-Situation definitely puts a small asterisk next to pretty much anything in this CL Tournament.
I never bought into the whole sharpness disadvantage thing. That sounds like some people played too much football manager. It doesn't work like that in the real world. Especially not with a trainer like Flick, who has experience setting teams up so they peak around semis/finals in big tournaments.

Having said that, all the hype about Bayern is a bit embarassing. Everyone's talking as if they're the best team on the planet right now. There were issues in the game that Barca didn't exploit, but City is a different beast. Next game is going to be much tougher than this one. I almost wish we would get Lyon, I really do not want to play Pep.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I think it's really hard to say, and I think our defense isn't as rock solid against pacey teams as it was 7 years ago.
7 years ago we couldn't master BATE in the group stages, and were on the brink of an R16 exit against fecking Arsenal.
This fecking team here has been on a non-stop rampage. 9 games, 9 wins, 39 goals so far. It's absolutely ridiculous. They still have to win the next 2 games to make their claim, but if they do, they will have surpassed the 2013 team.
Hansi Flick, what an incredible bastard, to come out of nowhere and propel us from obscurity to the very top within a blink of an eye. A true football fairy tale.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Its almost comical to see transfer fees discussed here, or in the other thread I read how Davies would fix the pro lens of team x.
You're missing the point here. Completely. This team plays in that way because they formed a team where those not willing to follow the game plan, not willing to do the extra mile for the team and for the guy next to him, got weeded out, and the senior players like Müller, Lewa, Alaba or Neuer lead by example so no slacking occurs.
This is a process that takes years and is difficult to keep to, given the laws of this business. This is Bayern's achievement.

If theoretically Messi would join this team, he would improve its skill level because he's the greatest currently active player, but to *improve* the team, he would have to adapt to that sort of team spirit.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its almost comical to see transfer fees discussed here, or in the other thread I read how Davies would fix the pro lens of team x.
You're missing the point here. Completely. This team plays in that way because they formed a team where those not willing to follow the game plan, not willing to do the extra mile for the team and for the guy next to him, got weeded out, and the senior players like Müller, Lewa, Alaba or Neuer lead by example so no slacking occurs.
This is a process that takes years and is difficult to keep to, given the laws of this business. This is Bayern's achievement.

If theoretically Messi would join this team, he would improve its skill level because he's the greatest currently active player, but to *improve* the team, he would have to adapt to that sort of team spirit.
That's true and the story of Goretzka is also a good motivation for the players that aren't in the team right now, it doesn't matter how you were perceived 3 or 4 months ago, if you do what the team needs you will be given a chance every week.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ah yes, knew there was a Bayern team I forgot. That team was brilliant and strangely got worse (obviously, not by much) when Guardiola came in. However, I do think this current one is already better. 100 goals in the league alongside dishing out battering after battering in the CL despite having a chunk of the season sabotaged by Kovac is phenomenal. Having Lewandowski helps too. The defence can be a bit dodgy, but the attack is just so pleasing on the eye and sways me towards the current one.
Yes it actually got worse defensively since Guardiola always preferred to play with such a high defence line. Everything was great under Guardiola , except this one weakness, he was too stubborn to change it for once . No matter how good we played, the opposite team always could score at any time with one longball.

But yeah it is debatable which team is/was better. You had prime Schweinsteiger, prime Boateng Robben, Müller, Ribery and Lahm in that squad back then and a perfect defence and more balance overall.

But fair enough, I also see why people believe this team is better.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
That's true and the story of Goretzka is also a good motivation for the players that aren't in the team right now, it doesn't matter how you were perceived 3 or 4 months ago, if you do what the team needs you will be given a chance every week.
Absolutely! And Bayern always play as if they have a chip on their shoulder. Look at them hunting down poor Barca up 6-2 with 10 minutes to play. The 12 to 17 players are pushing the starting XI and it is absolutely wonderful.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Hansi Flick is a genius, to transform that team like this.
Also says something about the mentality and attitude of the players.

Not going who the feck is this guy, we know better than you... Given he hadn't managed a team for 15 years.

They actually listened to him and it's worked really well.

Got to wonder if some players had better mentality, maybe teams they play for would improve.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I don't think it was necessary to go for such a huge scoreline. Remember back in 2009 Barca stopped playing after 4:0 up, not a very classy thing to do hitting a man who's already down, IMO. Same old, same old.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Not going who the feck is this guy, we know better than you... Given he hadn't managed a team for 15 years.
They've been knowing him for years. He was Jogis assistant from 2008-2016 after all.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I don't think it was necessary to go for such a huge scoreline. Remember back in 2009 Barca stopped playing after 4:0 up, not a very classy thing to do hitting a man who's already down, IMO. Same old, same old.
Right, because if professional competitors want one thing, it'a pity.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not like Bayern were trying at the end to be fair, Barcelona completely gave up and a lesser side probably would have scored 2 or 3.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
So when they were taking the piss out of teams, it was classy?
Two giants of world sport; one just gave the other a pasting. Deal with it and move on Barca

RashyForPM

Yes it actually got worse defensively since Guardiola always preferred to play with such a high defence line. Everything was great under Guardiola , except this one weakness, he was too stubborn to change it for once . No matter how good we played, the opposite team always could score at any time with one longball.

But yeah it is debatable which team is/was better. You had prime Schweinsteiger, prime Boateng Robben, Müller, Ribery and Lahm in that squad back then and a perfect defence and more balance overall.

But fair enough, I also see why people believe this team is better.
I remember playing your lot under Moyes and not coming away thinking ‘wow, what a team!’. Of course, I knew they were good, but this current side would have got double figures against our Moyes team.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
This team would be perfect if our 80 million Euro supposed star CB signing could actually play instead of the declining Jerome Boateng...

Very depressing to think about.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
They've been knowing him for years. He was Jogis assistant from 2008-2016 after all.
Didn't know that. Would still only apply to the German national team players though. Can't imagine the Italian assistant manager or Spanish assistant manager being put as Manager of Juventus or Barcelona respectively and being able to have this kind of impact.

Telling to me that Juventus have gone for a big name in Pirlo rather than an unknown (who might actually have some fresh ideas and coaching acumen as Flick has shown). Fairly certain Barcelona will do the same thing, will get in a big name in mainly because certain players just won't listen to anyone they don't respect for having also been a big star player at some point in the past.

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Kimmich was asked if he was sorry for Messi: "no".

This in an European QF for Xsake. Showing "mercy" would have been the ultimate disrespect.

Nikelesh Reddy

Hopefully they”ll destroy City in the semifinal..,After watching Liverpool win the league,it would be unbearable to wat his City loft the CL...,

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Hopefully they”ll destroy City in the semifinal..,After watching Liverpool win the league,it would be unbearable to wat his City loft the CL...,
They won't. City won't be this lethargic across the pitch.

Bayern are still slight favorites though, but imagine giving De Bruyne and Sterling that much space behind your back line :lol:

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
They won't. City won't be this lethargic across the pitch.

Bayern are still slight favorites though, but imagine giving De Bruyne and Sterling that much space behind your back line :lol:
There is no way the line will be this high against City.