Martinez
    Reguilon

Amrabat
    Casemiro

Bruno

Pellistri
    Hojlund
    Garnacho

We need to sit back and defend deep then get the ball to Bruno so he can play it forward to the front 3 to use their pace on the counter.

Yorke to Cole

4-1 Bayern Munich. As people have said it will have to counter attack to get a result in this match.

saik

Onana

AWB
    Lindelof
    Martinez
    Reguilon

Amrabat
    Casemiro

Bruno

Pellistri
    Hojlund
    Garnacho

We need to sit back and defend deep then get the ball to Bruno so he can play it forward to the front 3 to use their pace on the counter.
    Hope is a wonderful thing isn't it? The chance to start Pellistri was against Brighton and ETH preferred to change the whole system around rather than start him. No chance he is going to start Pellistri against Bayern now.

m1tch

Basically expecting the reverse of how the legends game went, except we'll look less coherent and energetic.

What gives with champions league games starting when we're only a couple of games into preseason?

Jeffthered

May be an evening of limiting any damage I'm afraid.

A defeat is no disgrace, but how we look, the 'vibe' (if that makes sense..) of the team, are we organised, patiient, are the players trusting and committed to what they are being asked to do? That's what we will be judged on.

He should tell the players to just go out and enjoy the occasion.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    Think we’ll get dominated but Bayern do leave spaces at the back so they’ll be plenty of room for our runners to get into.

DJ_21

4-1 Bayern Munich. As people have said it will have to counter attack to get a result in this match.
    Erik is too stubborn to counter. He’ll play his usually way and we’ll get destroyed. He doesn’t know how to sit back that’s why we always lose games ugly.

Jeffthered

I watched their game against Leverskusen on Friday, and Bayern are still finding their form, shape etc under Tuchel. Leverskusen (who are a v v good side, watch Alonso as a manager..) should have won that game, comfortably. It was 2-2 in the end, but this is no great Bayern team. But they are good.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Park the fecking titanic if we have to. We won’t win this by playing football.

Lynty

We’ll have these, then lose two on the bounce v Galatasaray - as is our custom

FortunaUtd

Feels a bit like Liverpool at the start of last season, and we managed a win in that game.

Could equally end like the return match vs Liverpool, mind
    Yes. I do remember reading posts like the ones in this thread, how we will be hammered 5,6,7,8,9 nil, many times in recent seasons, before a big game and after a poor loss to a smaller team, when fan morale was low and desperate, and many times we have been exactly that team to somehow get a result in a match where everyone was predicting a hopless drubbing.
    As others have said, it will be a different game. Away at Bayern is of course a tall ask for anyone, but I can sense a suprise.
    Think we’ll get dominated but Bayern do leave spaces at the back so they’ll be plenty of room for our runners to get into.
    Yes. Bayern are vulnerable.
    We're going to be absolutely swarmed in regards to a press. Is there one midfielder or attacker we have that you're confident in at shielding the ball under pressure from their press? There isn't one for me unless Amrabat plays.

When it was revealed ten Hag was joining, I was certain he'd bring in players of this ilk. I'm so disappointed with him bringing in the same old lightweight sludge.
    Tuchel's Bayern tend to not nearly press as highly or as intensely and swarmingly as under Nagelsmann or Flick. I can see Tuchel even telling them to sit off a bit in order to be careful.

Chicharo

From what I've seen from Bayern this season, they definitely look vulnerable at the back, so we might as well nick a goal or even two. On the other hand, I really can't see how we can defend against them with the way we've played.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Probably the third hardest away fixture we could have in the tournament. We will do well to keep the score down.

lex talionis

Hope is a wonderful thing isn't it? The chance to start Pellistri was against Brighton and ETH preferred to change the whole system around rather than start him. No chance he is going to start Pellistri against Bayern now.
    Yep, a bonehead, almost petulant, decision of epic proportions to start McTominay over Pellistri v Brighton. What’s done is done, but I hope Erik doesn’t thrown Facundo to the wolves in Munich to “prove” he was right to shun him v Brighton.

avgp_1

We did well against Arsenal being very compact with the defence pushed high and making the space in midfield non existent, until of course our usual collapse late in the 2nd half.

I sense something similar, getting Rashford isolated 1v1 on the left (dont rate Laimer in there) and of course there is Upamecano as well to help us out.

I see us nicking a goal but yeah I dread the second half when we are shot physically and seeing Sane and Musiala run riot against our geriatric midfield

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
    Stevenage
    Drop players that underperform, it is such a simple thing and Ive been asking for it for years, Meritocracy, it may hurt in the short term but the first XI arent doing much better and it will encourage everybody, fringe players feel they have a chance and the first XI will want their spot back, Id genuinely go with:

Onana
    AWB Lindelof Martinez Reguilon
    Mejbri Amrabat Bruno
    Pellistri Hojlund Garnacho

Sounds mad but given how our typical fiest XI are performing, the likes of Casemiro, Rashford, will we really be much worse?

DJ_21

Could be a turning point just like Liverpool game last season…. Highly doubt it though

Irwin99

On a historical note, they've payed us back many many times over the years for '99 and had their revenge enough already. I don't want to hear that bollocks again if/when they win on Wednesday.

doomy20

Probably the third hardest away fixture we could have in the tournament. We will do well to keep the score down.
    Nah Bayern isn’t that good at the moment. They are decent and will win it, there are easily a few harder away games in Europe rn though

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    I really hate losing against the ‘elite’ clubs - Bayern, Madrid, Barca. I feel like we didn’t beat them enough even when we were good.

jesperjaap

Personally I am glad this is the first game of our champions league campaign. Though I dont think Bayern are the same side of 3seasons or so ago, they are still one of the best sides in Europe. I would put them behind the likes of City and Madrid in the next rung.

Even if we were firing on all cylinders this would be the game I wouldnt expect to get aything from. Getting this on eout the way when we are in trurmoil with key players missing is actually a positive for me.

Hopefully by the time we are playing the other sides we have more players back and are starting to improve as they are the ones we should be looking to win to qualify

Wilt

Personally I am glad this is the first game of our champions league campaign. Though I dont think Bayern are the same side of 3seasons or so ago, they are still one of the best sides in Europe. I would put them behind the likes of City and Madrid in the next rung.

Even if we were firing on all cylinders this would be the game I wouldnt expect to get aything from. Getting this on eout the way when we are in trurmoil with key players missing is actually a positive for me.

Hopefully by the time we are playing the other sides we have more players back and are starting to improve as they are the ones we should be looking to win to qualify
    Agreed, current form Utd would struggle against most teams. Playing Bayern now would not be the worst thing, with more winnable games to come when in better form.

Eddy_JukeZ

This Bayern side isn't that great. Some of you guys are massively overrating them.

We can nick a result if we play well. Hopefully McTominay doesn't start and Casemiro plays well for once.

the_cliff

Bayern are not the Bayern they used to be. This will be a close game with them maybe nicking it.

Chief123

Onana

AWB
    Lindelof
    Martinez
    Reguilon

Amrabat
    Casemiro

Bruno

Pellistri
    Hojlund
    Garnacho

Oh sweet child thinking ETH will start Pellestri. We’ve now got Mctominay playing the right of a diamond in that zone before Pellestri gets a start.

Pellestri will come on as a sub with 10 mins to go when we are 4-0 down and down to 10 men with casemiro sent off for a lazy tackle.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    We’ll have these, then lose two on the bounce v Galatasaray - as is our custom
    Hasn’t been like that for a while. Under ETH we’ve been very predictable. Lose against any good team, get battered v top teams and win games you’d expect us to.

Chief123

Bayern are not the Bayern they used to be. This will be a close game with them maybe nicking it.
    Now imagine the same thing being said by Bayern fans about United but amplified 10 times.

We’ve struggled against every team we’ve played this season. This current Bayern will spank us.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
    Now imagine the same thing being said by Bayern fans about United but amplified 10 times.

We’ve struggled against every team we’ve played this season. This current Bayern will spank us.
    Only if we're the current us. We might not be. Know what I mean?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bayern Munich win
  • Draw