Bayern v Man Utd | Post Match

stevoc

Mourinho wants Perisic who is winger, he cant physically go and buy the fecking players that is Woodwards job. Wtf is wrong with you?
Physically go and buy players? I imagine not mate they're not for sale in a shop.

It's irrelevant who is actually doing the negotiating, stop being pedantic mate. Woodward conducts transfer business under instructions from the manager.

We are not being seriously linked to any wingers, because we are not actually trying to buy any wingers.

And if we aren't trying to buy any wingers that is because Mourinho doesn't think we need any, despite it being the glaring weakness in the side. And the main reason we look so toothless down one side of the pitch in attack.

We currently have 6 centrebacks for 2 positions in the team. Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Tuanzebe yet we seem to be concentrating all our efforts on making that number 7. Alderweireld, Maguire and Mina are the only names we are being strongly linked with recently, all defenders.

Crashoutcassius

Look I'm not disagreeing in a sense that we should spend a bit more money or at least be more prudent and buy well but airing your dirty laundry is not going to rectify anything... especially when you're already deviding half the fan base. It's very simple actually...
I think Jose putting pressure on the board via media directly affects our spending. Vs poch who says nothing and nothing happens. Fair enough if nobody else sees that

Crashoutcassius

Look I'm not disagreeing in a sense that we should spend a bit more money or at least be more prudent and buy well but airing your dirty laundry is not going to rectify anything... especially when you're already deviding half the fan base. It's very simple actually...
I think Jose putting pressure on the board via media directly affects our spending. Vs poch who says nothing and nothing happens. Fair enough if nobody else sees that

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm not sure about Poch or anyone else but I don't think it's particularly smart to say stuff like that in public. Behind closed doors, by all means -- lose your shit! When you say it in public, you're just asking for tension and there is already a lot of tension there.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is just a preseason friendly but I don’t understand why we approach them so negatively. The score doesn’t matter, if we lost 5-1 it wouldn’t be the end of the world either but instead we went for damage limitation and kept the score at 1-0 while refusing to go out and attack. It just doesn’t make sense.

MrBest

Is anyone really surpised anymore? I fully expected football like this during pre season and for the season ahead. Hopefully we do enough to finish in the top 4 but this will be the most challenging season in a while I think. What really hurts though is that the progression Liverpool have made in 2.5 years with Klopp is brilliant, Pep turned City round in 2 years to be record breakers. Results have improved for us, 81 points was a good achievement but the football is dire as is the lack of goals and attacking threat. Even though we finished second last year, I'm not confident at all about challenging City. We are world's apart and I think this year Liverpool will finish ahead of us.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Physically go and buy players? I imagine not mate they're not for sale in a shop.

It's irrelevant who is actually doing the negotiating, stop being pedantic mate. Woodward conducts transfer business under instructions from the manager.

We are not being seriously linked to any wingers, because we are not actually trying to buy any wingers.

And if we aren't trying to buy any wingers that is because Mourinho doesn't think we need any, despite it being the glaring weakness in the side. And the main reason we look so toothless down one side of the pitch in attack.

We currently have 6 centrebacks for 2 positions in the team. Smalling, Jones, Bailly, Lindelof, Rojo and Tuanzebe yet we seem to be concentrating all our efforts on making that number 7. Alderweireld, Maguire and Mina are the only names we are being strongly linked with recently, all defenders.
Okay let me spell it out to you in short words since you cannot grasp the concept.

Jose made a list of targets
Apparently there are 3 to 5 targets for every position in need.
We know he wanted Perisic and also Willian (Wingers incase you are confused)
List was given to Woodward
Its up to Woodward to complete deals
There may be issues with money, or the short transfer window and the fact the WC was on.
Hardly anyone else is buying players because the market is choked with high prices.

This simple enough for you?

This post was brought to you today by the word pedantic!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This is just a preseason friendly but I don’t understand why we approach them so negatively. The score doesn’t matter, if we lost 5-1 it wouldn’t be the end of the world either but instead we went for damage limitation and kept the score at 1-0 while refusing to go out and attack. It just doesn’t make sense.
Pre-season results don't matter, but getting smashed 5-1 in your final game would be a major morale hit. Losing 1-0 against one of Europe's best sides away from home won't feel nearly as bad. I guess also managers will try and use these occasions as training grounds for the real thing, and setup the players in a fashion which will mirror the way they'll play in competitive matches. I get the frustration as playing defensively in a friendly never feels good, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

fallengt

People must be kidding themselves if they think it was just about past few weeks instead of the last two years

No idea what our players being coached behind the scene, probably" pass it to Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and hope they pull something out of their asses" .No signing gonna chance that.

Someone said it. The phrase " Thank God, it's over" will be club's motto now.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So joses explanation for that football is that he didn’t want to lose 4/5-0. What the feck mate? We’re Manchester United. We defend by attacking. We’re never playing for damage limitation.

It’s that simple of a switch that he’s missing that won’t give us anything

Crashoutcassius

I'm not sure about Poch or anyone else but I don't think it's particularly smart to say stuff like that in public. Behind closed doors, by all means -- lose your shit! When you say it in public, you're just asking for tension and there is already a lot of tension there.
Where ? In the squad? Do we know that for sure ?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So joses explanation for that football is that he didn’t want to lose 4/5-0. What the feck mate? We’re Manchester United. We defend by attacking. We’re never playing for damage limitation.

Source please?
Can't believe a Man Utd manager thinks it's either he parks a double decker or he loses 5-0.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Source please?
Can't believe a Man Utd manager thinks it's either he parks a double decker or he loses 5-0.
On the official site lol. He’s wanting us to be “hard to beat” and not take a pasting. Cheers Jose!

RonaldoVII

It was a friendly and still largely about fitness. Wait till the season starts before getting all worked up about it.

izec

Jose has just taken the narrative from Moyes and uses it. Some of the stuff he says is criminal. The issue is it is not only what he says, but how we play, and what he says is the same how he lets them play. It really is either park the bus or get trashed in big games. I have lost all hope since the Sevilla loss at home. One of the most frustrating games i can remember post Fergie. I realised that day he wont change

Jersey Heel

On a positive note, our games will help me catch a nap. Here in the States, our games are generally on in the morning. There were a few games last season where I woke up, had breakfast, put the game on and promptly fell back asleep.

stevoc

Okay let me spell it out to you in short words since you cannot grasp the concept.

Jose made a list of targets
Apparently there are 3 to 5 targets for every position in need.
We know he wanted Perisic and also Willian (Wingers incase you are confused)
List was given to Woodward
Its up to Woodward to complete deals
There may be issues with money, or the short transfer window and the fact the WC was on.
Hardly anyone else is buying players because the market is choked with high prices.

This simple enough for you?

This post was brought to you today by the word pedantic!
Is there any need to act like a dick mate?

Seems you weren't actually being pedantic, you just don't seem to understand what is happening, how targets are identified and transfers work.

Woodward targets the players/positions the manager tells him to, whatever the reasons for our lack of transfer activity are. Be it lack of funds (i doubt that), short transfer window, world cup etc. Whatever we are still prioritising signing a centreback ahead of a winger when we don't really need the former but desperately need the latter. That comes from the manager, if we can only strengthen one position for whatever reason then it should be a winger. And by prioritising i mean putting all our efforts into singing yet another defender and no effort at all into buying a winger.

As for Mourinho wanting Perisic and Willian i don't know if i buy that, we've been linked to both but nothing concrete. Mouinho's been saying for months he doesn't want or need attacking signings.

“We have Alexis, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford,” the United manager explained. “Rashford can play on the left and the right, Alexis is exactly the same. All of them apart from Lukaku can play from behind as the second striker.

“That’s why I say that it’s bad for you because you like to have things to write and speculate, especially in the summer, but I don’t want attacking players so don’t speak about attacking players that are coming here because nobody is coming here.”

“We have Mata, Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Alexis, I don’t want attacking players,” he insisted. “Speculation in the summer you have to go to other areas, attacking players I am really happy.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...jose-mourinho-no-summer-signing-a8193761.html

At the time i hoped he was bullshitting but given how this window has played out thats how he actually feels it seems.

Last edited:

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I wanted Jose at the club, he was the guy I wanted from day 1 when Fergie retired.

How wrong could I be, Jose is only here to pick up a paycheque. I see nothing after 3 years except excuses. The majority of the signings he has made are duds and he then demands more money to replace the duds with better duds.

This season offers me no expectations other than Jose to be sacked before Christmas.

People say these games are only friendlies, they mean nothing, I disagree. I think they are an opportunity to see how the manager intends to lay out his cards for the season and the structure of how he will play the games. As per usual it looks like a season of parking the bus or heavily defending a 1 nil loss.

I would rather sack Jose. As its too late to get in a big manager I would bring in someone like Giggs on a temp basis for 12 months. Give him a chance to show what he can do and set targets, exciting attacking football, top 4, maybe a cup. If he reaches those targets he gets a top 4 position if he fails we say thanks and goodbye. We then appoint a manager like Pochettino who will play fast attacking football.

I can't predict the future but I see another dreadful boring season under Jose where he finally gets the sack form United and we will have been put through another 12 months of dire rubbish.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The only way I can explain it is that Jose fears for the morale of the team right before the new season if we were to get smashed today.
But I don't understand how hoofing the ball back to Bayern instead of trying to at least keep possession safely helps us to not get thrashed.

There's absolutely no benefit to it as a tactic when you already know you're going to lose every aerial ball.

It is just deliberately kicking the ball back to the other team

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I didn't watch the game but did we have 0 shot on target again?
This was the only pre-season game we had no shots on target.
Shot stats (shots on target):

Man Utd 10(3) - 15(4) Club America
Man Utd 7(1) - 12(7) San Jose Earthquakes
Milan 17(4) - 13(10) Man Utd
Man Utd 3(2) - 16(9) Liverpool
Man Utd 6(3) - 15(3) Real Madrid
Bayern 13(4) - 1(0) Man Utd

Jojo <3 Mou

But I don't understand how hoofing the ball back to Bayern instead of trying to at least keep possession safely helps us to not get thrashed.

There's absolutely no benefit to it as a tactic when you already know you're going to lose every aerial ball.

It is just deliberately kicking the ball back to the other team
I think the plan was to be consevative. Solid defensively and counter. I don't think the midfield was expected to be so ineffective.

Bayern pressed really well so I'd expect that we wouldn't want to turn over the ball and offer a 1 on 1 situation with De Gea.

It's not good enough going forward. It wasn't nice to see today. Still, today really means nothing. We were without 5/6 of our starters. Let's give the managers and the players a little benefit of the doubt.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Also 0 shots on target vs Real in the 2nd half, meaning we went 135min without a shot on target :eek::houllier::nervous:

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Jose wants people to think that way so no one knows our new way and tricks for the new season.

I think people need to see a bigger picture here. He is a world class manager and THE master at playing mind games.
Fecking hell. Talk about delusion... :lol:

Hopefully you're joking. :)

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It's been 7 years since United played any sort of decent attacking football (last two years under SAF was painful too).

It really is becoming a chore to watch us these days (years), I love United to death, but I have no affinity to any of these players, I don't actively plan to put a game on now, I'd rather spend the little free time I have doing something entertaining or cleaning the house.

trafford1980

I didn't watch the match but were any positives?

How was Pereira?

Skysports rated Fred a '7', and gave him Man Of The Match..

They also rated Luke Shaw worst of all, with a '4.'

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This was the only pre-season game we had no shots on target.
Shot stats (shots on target):

Man Utd 10(3) - 15(4) Club America
Man Utd 7(1) - 12(7) San Jose Earthquakes
Reading that makes it look like you’ve been outplayed in all of your pre season games apart from the Milan game?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Reading that makes it look like you’ve been outplayed in all of your pre season games apart from the Milan game?
In the first half against Real Madrid we were the better side but second half they won it and like @GifLord said we didn't have a shot on target then. I didn't get to watch the Milan game but the first two games we put the performances down to the opposition being fitter due to being midseason.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Uh where have you been...he's been overrated since he came into the scene. He's young and will develop but he isn't that good yet.
There's a difference in intent between saying he's not good enough yet and saying he's overrated and not good enough.

Surely it took far more than one game.
It took his first game back after a summer break for some people to get on his back again, is what I meant. Anyway I was venting.

Fosu-Mens

Our attacking plan/method of scoring goals is to capitalize on teams making mistakes and counterattack. And Mourinho trophies over the years has shown that this "pragmatic" approach to games yielded results and trophies. But as with most other areas in the world; develelopement happens. Footballplayers today (most) are more technical and can pass more accurately than before, "total football" elements is common for most top teams. And owning the ball is viewed and practised as an important successfactor for winning.
So when we play against teams that are comfortable with the ball and wanting possession, the mistakes they make that our attacking play is so dependent on, occur less and less. We get fewer shots on goal, and most likely fewer goals. And it is not likely that the PL and CL will become less technical as time goes on.