Bayern v Man Utd | Post Match

Kidders

Apologies if any of what I say has been repeated but I need it off my chest, just what the hell was that last night ?
First of all I don't think Jose could play a much stronger team with the players available, but why switch to a back four when we had 5 CB's available ? Bailly & Linderlof had a decent first half together but got pulled out of position covering Darmian in particular, Shaw, and to some degree Pereira, as usual we offered no threat from wide positions, Rahford run his socks off but apart from being given the no 10 shirt must have wondered why he bothered cutting his break short, Fred was full of enthusiasm but with his team mates on a different wavelength he produced nothing, Sanchez actually looked fed up by the end but were'nt we all.
What did we (the fans) learn ? DDG is going to have another busy season, Bailly is an accident waiting to happen, Linderlof is improving but gives no ariel protection (nor does Bailly) we can't rely on Darmian and Shaw as our FB's, Neither Herrera or Fred like playing on the left of a midfield 3, Herrera has to grow some and start moving forward with the ball, Sanchez needs to play a lot closer to the main target man, Rashford was hard to judge, 100% for effort I guess, Periera had an off day but I would'nt write him off on just this performance.
The bench ? I know I am in the minority but McTominay, TFM, Tuanzebe and Mitchell are not good enough for United, not even the squad, I would never question their commitment or effort but it's just not there.
I have purposely left Mata till last, why ? well if it's not obvious now when it never will be, he can maybe play a part during the season as a sub when(if) we are dominating games or whatever, but he looked liked he'd never played for us before last night, simply awful.
Jose has to take responsibility as manager, he picks the side and the formation, he has to motivate the players and react to the opposition threat, did we see evidence of that last night ? Not for me, if dragging down moral is his way of getting some new players in then he is playing a dangerous game, finally I take my hat off to the fans that travelled to Munich and supported the team throughout, at least Jose has'nt affected that just yet.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Hrrmmm. Even Biggleswade Town would've managed few shots, accidentally at least. 1 (0), has United ever ever ever done something like that? Or not *done*...
I used to play for Biggleswade Town!!! We'd have definitely had a few more attempts that's for sure!!!

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Jose wants people to think that way so no one knows our new way and tricks for the new season.

I think people need to see a bigger picture here. He is a world class manager and THE master at playing mind games.
:lol:

We played liked this against Sevilla on our biggest games of the season..

Was that part of the master plan too?

And there's only one master of mind games. He's retired .

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Didn't watch the match, but I think this was the first time I've watched an extended highlights package of a United match and not seen a single attack from us. Considering this was our last game before preseason, and we didn't even get a shot on target, I'm not very confident going into the season. It doesn't look like we have been able to recruit well enough to fix problems and push the team forward, and the disruption with the world cup has resulted in the team weaker going into the season than last year.
just don't get this recruit problem we have spent so much money last 5 windows but are unable to still lione up with any decent players or make them play decent, maybe we should fix our manager who can improve any player not only to play with world class players in every position. Surely we will beat leicester and get enough points but over the course of the season, we will struggle again, with more and more teams adding quality and premier league becoming a super league with a lot of good managers, Jose has no chance with his pragmatic approach to win anything for us while bore us to death

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Jose wants people to think that way so no one knows our new way and tricks for the new season.

I think people need to see a bigger picture here. He is a world class manager and THE master at playing mind games.
:lol: fecking hell

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Reading all the comments... Gosh not watching more than 15minutes of preseason football seems to have been a blessing. I've been on a football high from the WC, I didn't want United to ruin it for me so soon after. Well maybe it'll start on Friday now...

JohnnyKills

Silly childish post.
Seems a bit rich given all the nonsense Mourinho's critics get bombarded with on here.

The apologists' arguments invariably boil down to one of three key lines:

• You're spoilt and deluded
  • True fans stand behind the manager
  • If you don't like it you can find another team to support
The top Red line may be childish but then so's the crap being thrown in the other direction.

Maybe both sides can stop the insults and start debating properly?

m_almomen

I'm reserving my judgment, until I see the team play their first few games. So many things can change the during these few days of transfer, and with players coming back we might look totally different.

Last season we started really well and dropped of when pogba got injured. i'm hoping for him to have a bigger impact when he comes back.

Reactions: Sultan

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Bayern raid the best players in their league and bully the others. After winning the league by as early as November, they give their starting XI enough rest to compete in Europe.

Bayern wouldn’t have such luxury in the PL. They would be spending £400m every summer to be in the same level as they currently are. Stop comparing the dynamics in Bundesliga to the PL. They are worlds apart.
Yes, just the type of response I expected. But not exactly refuting the point I was making now, is it?

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
congratulations to the Adidas Marketing department for selling 75,000 to that sh1t.

Manchester United were woeful.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Our inability to pass to another United player is infuriating, and it's not a new problem.
and yet when I voiced my concerns elsewhere (very much like this and others) I was shouted down and told we are going to be challenging for the title...

MadMike

I didn't watch the match but were any positives?

How was Pereira?

Skysports rated Fred a '7', and gave him Man Of The Match..

They also rated Luke Shaw worst of all, with a '4.'
He wasn't bad, he was fairly composed with his passing and tracked well. I'd say he was OK overall, but didn't manage to get into the game much.

I only counted one time where he misplaced a pass, but it was more of a long punt towards Rashford so the ball was lost far from our goal. He miss-controlled the ball once as well. Otherwise tidy but not as incisive with his passing as in the past.

The problem was that Bayern pressed high and the whole team dropped really really deep. CBs and FBs were hoofing the ball the second it was recovered and we didn't really have enough time on the ball or options to pass to.

Sanchez was the only one of our forwards capable of controlling a ball and bringing others into play, but he was getting double and triple marked and too isolated. Mata was his usual completely invisible self when quality opposition presses. He'd either avoid receiving the ball or lose it to the press as soon as he did. Rashford was mostly putting his head down and running with the ball, good sprints but no link up.

We had 28% possession I believe. So yeah he didn't really have the opportunity to show much.

Davs

Maybe I am being very naive when I say this, but I'm not predicting any of our upcoming campaign on what we've seen in pre-season.

This is all in hope Jose can prove me wrong.

I think we'll have a semi slow start to the year but pick up the pace come September/October.

Resch

Ohhhhhh what a flight..... Paperplanes were the highlights of this game. Our team never tried to attack, Jose accapted to loose, Bayern still has not atmosphere and the Alianz Arena just looks nice but is shit.

If you want to win, you need mentality of a winner, you have to fight for a win! This team, this coach has nothing to do with winning, the team looked like loosers the moment they stepped on the pitch. Jose accepted to lose and this is hurting.......

Fully Fledged

28% possession, 290 to 728 passes. I don't care if this is pre season. This is embarrassing and more than worrying for the season ahead.
It's alright they are 3 weeks of from the start of their season and was the first game back for some of their top players. Given 2 weeks more of training they will probably look as bad as we do.

Renegade

Why the hell was Sanchez captain? What has he proven since being here? Decision making at this club are strange lately.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I actually think that's the most positive I've seen Jose all pre-season. Seemed pretty relaxed and was full of praise for the players.
Yes I was pleasantly surprised. Jose, and I would imagine the players, are obviously made up to have got through a pretty shite preseason, so hopefully they can all look forward to working hard this week to prepare for Leicester.

Recruitment (or lack thereof) will be a running sore up to Thursday but I'm happy to put preseason talk to bed and wait for the Leicester game to see what we can produce when it counts.

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
That's actually a nice interview by Mourinho.
It really is. He seems relaxed and genuinely relieved that pre-season is done. He is praising Rashford and giving him the 10 shirt is quite a thing it would seem.

No sarcasm, no frowns and no complaining.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
No Lukaku, Pogba and Matic. The three most important players in the team bar De Gea and Sanchez (arguably). I'm not really worried.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@GaryLifo @MadMike I think people take what he says in press conferences too seriously. We know he has an agenda, which is to push the club into buying players. So he says and does things that will increase pressure on the board to go out and spend. The players say Jose's very different with them and I'm inclined to agree. I think most of what he says to the media is just an act, although he seems to hate them and that probably increases his negativity when he has to speak to them.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
@GaryLifo @MadMike I think people take what he says in press conferences too seriously. We know he has an agenda, which is to push the club into buying players. So he says and does things that will increase pressure on the board to go out and spend. The players say Jose's very different with them and I'm inclined to agree. I think most of what he says to the media is just an act, although he seems to hate them and that probably increases his negativity when he has to speak to them.
Agreed. Good post.

kouroux

Well looks it isn't working out. The board isn't clueless to fall for such an obvious thing.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Surely the Match Day thread should be up and running now? Our next game is in the PL, this week!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Reading all the comments... Gosh not watching more than 15minutes of preseason football seems to have been a blessing. I've been on a football high from the WC, I didn't want United to ruin it for me so soon after. Well maybe it'll start on Friday now...
I haven't watched any of our pre-season games either. José's football is appalling when we actually try to win so I'm not wasting my time watching Joséball when he himself isn't bothered.

Not looking forward to this season with him at all. Already missing the World Cup!

kouroux

I haven't watched any of our pre-season games either. José's football is appalling when we actually try to win so I'm not wasting my time watching Joséball when he himself isn't bothered.

Not looking forward to this season with him at all. Already missing the World Cup!
Looks like we haven't missed out on much

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I didn't watch anything until the Bayern game, precisely because I didn't want to ruin my WC football high.

Should've stayed away. :(