Bayern v Man Utd | Post Match

Pscholes18

Utd should start looking for a replacement now. This season is not boding well. I think he is absolutely done.

The United

Fecking hell. Talk about delusion... :lol:

Hopefully you're joking. :)
No, sir.

I truly believe it was his plan all around. You will most likely see we pretend to play shit football then get a jammy goal to win/draw against 'big teams' in the league. Then, proceed to draw loads of games against bottom table teams just to throw big teams off more. He will keep doing it till we get all 21 players he wants then we will play his signature all bus parking and hoof football effectively to win a FA cup.

You all can moan all you want. But, we have been underdog for a long time and that's the only way to get back on top, sort of.

LeftyBlaster

Yea it’s pre season.

Yea we don’t have a full squad.

BUT. There are principles that should be translated into the entire team regardless of squad status. It’s the same uncreative shit that we saw last season and that I am now convinced we will see this season.

Jose has no idea how to coach creative play.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Didn't watch the match, but I think this was the first time I've watched an extended highlights package of a United match and not seen a single attack from us. Considering this was our last game before preseason, and we didn't even get a shot on target, I'm not very confident going into the season. It doesn't look like we have been able to recruit well enough to fix problems and push the team forward, and the disruption with the world cup has resulted in the team weaker going into the season than last year.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Didn't watch the match, but I think this was the first time I've watched an extended highlights package of a United match and not seen a single attack from us. Considering this was our last game before preseason, and we didn't even get a shot on target, I'm not very confident going into the season. It doesn't look like we have been able to recruit well enough to fix problems and push the team forward, and the disruption with the world cup has resulted in the team weaker going into the season than last year.
This.

The scary thing is that I see no progression in the five pre-season matches.

prateik

Leicester. then 10 days.
We will have Matic, Pog, Lukaku back. Hopefully that helps with the attack. And maybe a signing to help the attack..

Its not a lost cause yet.. We need to get ready.

We have had plenty of slow starts under fergie.. I cant pretend to be too worried.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Leicester. then 10 days.
We will have Matic, Pog, Lukaku back. Hopefully that helps with the attack. And maybe a signing to help the attack..

We have had plenty of slow starts under fergie.. I cant pretend to be too worried.
10 days after Leicester? Booo

haram

Leicester. then 10 days.

Victory at Leicester is important. I just think this team lacks so much without Pogba and Lukaku.

ErranMorad

I was cautiously optimistic until this game, but last evening was utterly depressing. We didn't even try to play football. It was approach to the game that we see from teams like Stoke, West Brom, etc. when they came to Old Trafford. Defend for dear lives and keep playing long out ball to our attackers who aren't able to do much with it & lose possession. At least when those lower table teams apply those tactics, they do it with tall, strong attackers who are able to hold on the ball for more than 2 seconds. Seeing us do it with two diminutive attackers is utterly baffling. We cannot string two passes together or beat the press.

I know it's the pre-season blah blah blah. Though, I don't know how we will reverse this approach on it's head in the next 4 days. Will our passing magically become better in the next four days? Will Alexis or Mata's gain 6 inches? Will Rashford's hold up play improve against Leicester because then it won't be "only the pre-season"? How will the addition of a couple of players make a significant enough impact?

On top of all this, all Jose has done is act like a cantankerous, moody idiot the entire pre-season. The only thing he has been good at is dampening expectations and making us aware that he isn't good enough. Excuses, excuses, and more excuses has been his mantra. The club made a huge mistake by buying into the stupid rumors that PSG are interested in him and giving him a contract extension.

There is a feeling of dread going into the new season. Hopefully, it's all exaggerated and we come out all guns blazing this Friday.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was cautiously optimistic until this game, but last evening was utterly depressing. We didn't even try to play football. It was approach to the game that we see from teams like Stoke, West Brom, etc. when they came to Old Trafford. Defend for dear lives and keep playing long out ball to our attackers who aren't able to do much with it & lose possession. At least when those lower table teams apply those tactics, they do it with tall, strong attackers who are able to hold on the ball for more than 2 seconds. Seeing us do it with two diminutive attackers is utterly baffling. We cannot string two passes together or beat the press.

I know it's the pre-season blah blah blah. Though, I don't know how we will reverse this approach on it's head in the next 4 days. Will our passing magically become better in the next four days? Will Alexis or Mata's gain 6 inches? Will Rashford's hold up play improve against Leicester because then it won't be "only the pre-season"? How will the addition of a couple of players make a significant enough impact?

On top of all this, all Jose has done is act like a cantankerous, moody idiot the entire pre-season. The only thing he has been good at is dampening expectations and making us aware that he isn't good enough. Excuses, excuses, and more excuses has been his mantra. The club made a huge mistake by buying into the stupid rumors that PSG are interested in him and giving him a contract extension.

There is a feeling of dread going into the new season. Hopefully, it's all exaggerated and we come out all guns blazing this Friday.
The good news is we haven't played as we have in pre-season during the regular season - different players, different dynamics.

Rouge McDuck

Supports
Liverpool
I think Pogba and Lukaku will make a big difference. Of course they will, you're missing a £90m midfielder and a £75m attacker. It's going to impact the way you play. Add Martial into the mix, and things start to get dicey.

You weren't playing bums last night either. Very good, well established team, whilst missing players. It's going to be difficult.

That said, I think it's clear that United don't seem to have the strength I'm depth they have been used to down the years. To add to that, the players the manager wants to add seem to be defensive players, like Harry Maguire for huge amounts. Maguire is a quality defender, but is hardly a signing that shouts 'creativity and guile'.

I mean, look, I'm well into my 30s at the point (no idea how this travesty has happened), and I've watched United rip teams apart for years and years and years. It's weird watching Mourinho turn you into a back foot team. It felt the same when Houllier did it to Liverpool, and then Rafa to a lesser extent. It's just not United.

I think it's vital that you get a manager who plays the way you want to play football. I think it needs to be soon, too. Part of the issue has been replacing a footballing legend with a series of managers who either weren't good enough, were too old fashioned, or just weren't the right person for the job. If it were me, and it has been, I'd sooner bring a younger manager who is on the rise and start a rebuild.

Reactions: Raoul

amolbhatia50k

I think we should be fine at home against Leicester but I worry about the general direction and chances of success of the team. We shouldn't be completely dominated by Bayern who make us look like a tiny little club, preseason or not.

I just don't think Jose's methods mesh well with the football club.

Scholes the maestro

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not a bad game. Rashford had a good runout. Sanchez, Mata and Herrera didn’t do much but considering they almost played all the pre-season games and game with Leicester being only in 4 days, I think they just played to keep up the fitness level which is understandabe.

Perreira again our standout player. Can’t wait for him to play alongside Pogba, Lingard and Lukaku. Fred was also good and supported Perreira well but might take some time to gel with the squad.

Bailly was a beast but seems to make rash challenges which saw him getting knocked few times. Kind of reminding me of early Phil Jones. Lindelof also had a good session and was trying to play the ball from the back. Looked little rusty considering this was his first game.

Concerned with Shaw though, his decision making was really bad. But let’s see how he does after the season starts. Will get plenty of chances if we don’t sign anybody. Darmian was Darmian, neither bad nor exceptional.
Youngsters also got a little bit of playtime which was good to see.

We defended really deep. I would like our defenders to play a bit higher. We have pacy defenders so it should not be much of that issue. But we were not pressing high up the pitch which might have resulted the team to fall back. Now with all the players coming back we will certainly be better side. Bring on Leicester!!

amolbhatia50k

The upside is that we actually do have a really good squad no matter what Jose says.

99withaflake

The upside is that we actually do have a really good squad no matter what Jose says.
Agreed. There are 2 or 3 big holes (LB, RW, CBish) but it’s still a squad that could be playing some great stuff. Other managers would get more out of the talent at OT.

Really hope I’m wrong and that we put Leicester away 5-0!

Rouge McDuck

Supports
Liverpool
I hadn't thought that far ahead when I posted it. If it were me, I'd hate to take that sort of risk. In my case, it would be like giving the reigns to Gerrard or Carra. That's absolutely not something I'd want to do.

There are some managers out there that fit the profile, though.

soccerMad

Agreed. Jose need to motivate them and play as a team with togetherness. What he say in the media is not important as long as they understand each other privately.

I do believe we have the players to compete for top 4 easily, whether we can challenge for the title or not will need some conditions to fit into place.

It will be Jose job to do this.

Bring on the very first game for the 2018-19 curtain raiser.

:devil:

amolbhatia50k

Agreed. There are 2 or 3 big holes (LB, RW, CBish) but it’s still a squad that could be playing some great stuff. Other managers would get more out of the talent at OT.

Really hope I’m wrong and that we put Leicester away 5-0!
I think we'll be fine once the season starts. It all depends on Jose for me. If he gets on with it and infuses believe in the squad there will be no actual disaster. The question isn't that for me. It's whether we genuinely land a top prize/challenge for them.

ErranMorad

The good news is we haven't played as we have in pre-season during the regular season - different players, different dynamics.
I beg to differ. We have played like regularly in the last two seasons. That is why it is so worrying. I was hoping that Fred's and Pereira's comfort on the ball will make a difference, but we saw the same pattern that we have seen plenty of times before. All our big games are set-up like that; even some not so big games. The Sevilla games were similar. And going a little back, Chelsea set-up in a similar way against a 10 man PSG and were knocked out of the champions league.

People say it's counter attacking football, but counter-attacking is defined by fast transitions and precise passing. The hoofing of ball to the attackers for some relief from boundless opposition attacks are small team tactics. You commit men into attack while counter-attacking and try to play fast through the midfield. What we do is try to bypass the midfield and get the ball to already covered one or two attackers, leaving them to do all the work.

I think we should be fine at home against Leicester but I worry about the general direction and chances of success of the team. We shouldn't be completely dominated by Bayern who make us look like a tiny little club, preseason or not.

I just don't think Jose's methods mesh well with the football club.
What works for Jose is acting as a perennial underdog. Can't see it working at United - a club which still considers itself the biggest in the country, and arguably the world.

Quizierda

Mou is just a shame for every United supporter! Demolishes everything this great club stands for - hope he will be gone by October latest!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think the plan was to be consevative. Solid defensively and counter. I don't think the midfield was expected to be so ineffective.

Bayern pressed really well so I'd expect that we wouldn't want to turn over the ball and offer a 1 on 1 situation with De Gea.

It's not good enough going forward. It wasn't nice to see today. Still, today really means nothing. We were without 5/6 of our starters. Let's give the managers and the players a little benefit of the doubt.
I don't think players missing or it being a friendly game is an excuse for being deliberately incapapable of offering a basic attempt to play football. Not only would you see teams llike City, Liverpool, Spurs etc. come up with better than this regardless of the team they put out, but you would see better from teams like West Brom and Bournemouth to...or basically any team that has any level of self respect.

If you have a team of technical players who aren't that physically big or powerful, you don't spend the game deliberately hoofing the ball literally every single time you are under no pressure. It is common sense. No other team with anything aboout them at all would do this.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think players missing or it being a friendly game is an excuse for being deliberately incapapable of offering a basic attempt to play football. Not only would you see teams llike City, Liverpool, Spurs etc. come up with better than this regardless of the team they put out, but you would see better from teams like West Brom and Bournemouth to...or basically any team that has any level of self respect.

If you have a team of technical players who aren't that physically big or powerful, you don't spend the game deliberately hoofing the ball literally every single time you are under no pressure. It is common sense. No other team with anything aboout them at all would do this.
Only very very few times we didn't hoof the ball, counter attacked by keeping the ball on the ground and we nearly created a very good chance only for Shaw to mess up by interfering with the pass first and then misplacing the pass. That was probably the only time we counter attacked by keeping the ball on ground and it nearly worked. After that, didn't even tried it once.

Awful and cowardly game.

anant

Anyone having stat for number of touches in opposition box? I can't remember us even getting a touch in oppo box except the 2 touches Shaw had in early 2nd half (the one in which he intercepted a pass meant for Mata and then went on to give a stray pass to Fred)

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Does anybody remember when Jose was at Chelsea and he wanted a striker, which Abramovic didn't seem to want to buy? Jose decided to play random players up front, knowing they would do shit and force Romans hand.

This ultra defensive approach in pre season, coupled with talk of having a difficult season and needing signings, could all be part of his ploy to get people writing us off and force Woodward's hand. It was as though he was making a point of being ultra protective of his defence, which I felt was the issue last season too. He doesn't trust our defence imo.

He even said after the game that he wanted to keep the score down.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Anyone having stat for number of touches in opposition box? I can't remember us even getting a touch in oppo box except the 2 touches Shaw had in early 2nd half (the one in which he intercepted a pass meant for Mata and then went on to give a stray pass to Fred)
I think that was all. Can't be much more anyway.

anant

The shot (singular) passed the line just outside the six yard box. So yes.
That was an outswinging shot from around 35 yards! Think it passed the line somewhere between the 6 and 18 yard box and by the time it hit the advertising boards, it was closer to the corner flag than the goal

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
That was an outswinging shot from around 35 yards! Think it passed the line somewhere between the 6 and 18 yard box and by the time it hit the advertising boards, it was closer to the corner flag than the goal
I only saw it from one camera angle, may have been misleading. But I think our descriptions do not differ all that much, actually.

Scott Lewington

'Only pre season' but even taking the kids into consideration that wasn't great, our players still look like they are trying to get the cobwebs off. At least we can't play as badly against Leicester, expect a much improved performance all round

Name Changed

weso26
We can complain about it being preseason and not having the players etc but what exactly would make us think we'd do anything differently? We played shite football last season parking the bus against most half decent teams. Nothing is going to change. It's the Mourinho way.

I'm expecting to be even more bored and annoyed than last season. More tumescent football on the way.

Name Changed

weso26

Exactly.

It's a friendly anyway. Why be conservative ? Let your players play and see what they are made of. Hoofing the balls forward at every opportunity to players who cannot play in that system is a waste of time.

lococol

I thought the first half was quite good. We will be fine once the season starts and we have all our players. One thing that I did notice was that nearly everytime DDG kicked the ball long it went to an opposition player which begs the question, what's the point of this if it gives away possession? Just play out from the back.