g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC Impartiality

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Only just found out that a bunch of commentators have also pulled out. Surely they won’t screen highlights without any commentary?!
Football focus and final score have both been pulled so you can guarantee that match of the day isn’t going ahead

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Only just found out that a bunch of commentators have also pulled out. Surely they won’t screen highlights without any commentary?!
It was suggested, by one of the striking commentators, that there was the option of using the world feed commentary. I don't know if that's still a possibility at this stage or not...

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
This is great to see though, support in the right place.

I know it's more about the football than the poor people these scumbag laws are affecting, but at least people are coming together over something for once. And as much as I despise how the BBC are funded and run, it will be very sad if it ends up going down because of the political games.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Think I read something mentioned about using global commentary or something whatever that means. I may be wrong though as it was last night I think I read it.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I do wonder what the future of public broadcasting will look like in the next 15 years. Self-censorship and regulation in the name of impartiality is a slippery slope go down

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It's a good thing people like Lineker so much. Imagine if Neville or Carragher did this. "Ah well, life goes on"

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Someone should quote Pogue and tell him about the world feed thing.

FireballXL5

The Tories are persuing a scorched earth policy before they get turfed out at the next election. Nothing is safe with these cnuts in charge.

crossy1686

career ending
The Tories are persuing a scorched earth policy before they get turfed out at the next election. Nothing is safe with these cnuts in charge.
It’s all they know. Belittle people and tell them how things should be because they’re too poor to understand the real world.

If they’re still in power after the next election I have no faith in humanity

AlPistacho

Great point on sky sports about the BBC. I think at this point the BBC have to clearly identify as what they are. You can’t have people in executive positions also working for Sleptre magazine, donating to a political party etc and claim impartiality.

caid

Premier League provides commentary as part of the service. Quality will probably be MUTV quality

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
You’d hope the viewing figures would be stupidly low this evening in show of solidarity from everyone, I doubt it though sadly.
If anything it could increase viewership in the sense that people will be intrigued to see how it's actually produced rather than for a political motive.

ThehatchetMan

Supports
Crusaders FC
I'd expect there to be a drop-off in viewing figures alright. It'll be interesting to see by how much.
You'd hope so but I'm not completely confident. For a lot of people who can't afford the likes of sky TV, it's the only way for them to catch up on football, especially the older generation.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I just think they are that dumb. I've seen first hand how they operate over the years, nothing surprises me with them. We've always been told about how we are lucky to have them and how we should appreciate paying that tax to fund them, but I've never bought into it.
I've never bought into the idea any media can be completely impartial, although the BBC has certainly gone noticeably downhill since Boros became PM and possibly even bebefore, but then so has everything else this government so much as touches.

This for the BBC though is a new step entirely. It's gone from fairly obvious bias towards the right (well more specifically the tories), to literally publicly announcing they are not in support of free speech if it criticises the acting government, and are willing to try and actively censor government criticism even outside of the platforms they control...and somehow they didn't forsee that this might alarm people and a number of their own employees and celebrities might kick off about it and cause it to become sort of become a big deal.

They can't use the "remain politically unbiased" or "dont incite controversy" cards either when they've got Alan Sugar using his twitter to go around telling people who to vote for in elections, posting pictures of MPs mocked up in nazi uniforms and literally just being a racist.

What a bunch of weirdos. This is probably the end of the BBC being able to covertly support a tory government. Now they either have to pretty much officially become a state controlled broadcaster, or sack almost all their management and hope there's an election very soon.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I have come across quite a few people who insist that the BBC is a 'lefty' organisation. I ask them to clarify, in light of the fact that considerably more staff members move between the corporation and the Tory party than between it and the Labour party (it's proven by the numbers and not even close), the treatment dished out to Jeremy Corbyn, the fact that Nigel Farage has appeared on Question Time more times than any other guest in the 21st century and the red carpet has regularly been rolled out for those Tufton Street 'think tanks' aka lobbyists etc.

I'm still waiting for that clarification !

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Apparently theres a world feed so that can be used to provide commentary on matches.

Didny know there was such a thing.
Yep. Those of us who watch football in dubious ways will be well versed in Jim Beglin, Efan Ekoku, Ray Hudson and more. A lot of the networks who broadcast the match in other countries don't have their own commentators so that is what the world feed is for.

Imagine if Ray Hudson was one of the world feed commentators
Thankfully he's not.

Bournemouth v Liverpool: Jim Proudfoot and Matt Holland
Everton v Brentford: Ian Crocker and James McFadden
Leeds United v Brighton: Pien Meulensteen and Andy Walker
Leicester City v Chelsea: Andy Bishop and Matthew Upson
Tottenham Hotspur v Nottingham Forest: Paul Gilmour and Efan Ekoku
Crystal Palace v Manchester City: Seb Hutchinson and Jim Beglin

Fulham v Arsenal: Jim Proudfoot and Andy Townsend
Manchester United v Southampton: Seb Hutchinson and Michael Brown
West Ham United v Aston Villa: Tony Jones and Tony Gale
Newcastle United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: Conor McNamara and Jim Beglin

credit to ICDB

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I have come across quite a few people who insist that the BBC is a 'lefty' organisation. I ask them to clarify, in light of the fact that considerably more staff members move between the corporation and the Tory party than between it and the Labour party (it's proven by the numbers and not even close), the treatment dished out to Jeremy Corbyn, the fact that Nigel Farage has appeared on Question Time more times than any other guest in the 21st century and the red carpet has regularly been rolled out for those Tufton Street 'think tanks' aka lobbyists etc.

I'm still waiting for that clarification !
It's people conflating its light entertainment and news agendas. A gay storyline on Eastenders or a trans one on Dr Who is evidence its lefty wokerati. They don't see or acknowledge say the failure to challenge Dorries's lies, editing of boos aimed at Boris or brazen censorship of anyone criticising government policy now.