Beating Madrid

Commadus

As long as we have fit players to pick and no Scholes or Giggs we should be fine.

SirAF

Ageist
Going to be great to see Cristiano back where he belongs, hopefully he'll come to regret his move! I really hope that Ando will be fit and back in shape for this, he could be crucial. Think I would like to see something like this in midfield: (although where would that leave the likes of Valencia and Kagawa? Oh such options!)

Carrick
Cleverley Ando

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
They haven't been in the greatest of form. No doubt they'll start as favorites but they're not as fearsome as last season plus we've arguably the best strike force in the world. feck, can't wait.

Siorac

For once you agree? I've made about 6,000 posts and you only agree with one thing?

Let's go for number #2 right away, hit a slam dunk.

I think that Alex Ferguson is a good football manager.
OK, I probably agreed with more things you said in the past, it's just that in general your specs are way too much tinted with red, sometimes to the point of blinding you. In my opinion.

But no reason to take this to a personal level so just forget I said anything.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Two best counter-attacking teams in the world face each other. It's going to be fun.

Chabon

I would fancy us in this tie, but for the fact they're out of the title race. We always get fecked when we go up against teams who can rest everyone for their league matches.

Godfather

I hope fergie has learnt from his past mistakes against the likes of Barcelona. not only a two men midfield and please no Scholes or giggs

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Keep Ronaldo off his antidepressants or buy him back in January.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
OK, I probably agreed with more things you said in the past, it's just that in general your specs are way too much tinted with red, sometimes to the point of blinding you. In my opinion.

But no reason to take this to a personal level so just forget I said anything.
I'm only messing mate, don't worry.

Jeffchin

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
This is going to be a blockbuster, can't fecking wait for it!

MUFCgal

---------------DDG-----------------
Rafael------Rio-----Vidic--------Evra
--------------Carrick----------------
------Cleverley------Anderson-------
--------------Kagawa---------------
--------Rooney-------RVP-----------

Let's feck them up :devil:

Please God let's hope everybody is fit.

JmRssll555

So many interesting issues arise from this game beyond team selection and tactics;

Mourinho versus Fergie.
How will Ronaldo deal with playing against United?
Can RVP and Rooney outscore Ronaldo?
Can either defence win the game for their team?
The form of both teams when the tie comes around.
Will United have a fully fit squad to choose from - big boost if we did!

Can't wait for these games to come around! Also couldn't agree more that the prospect of the matches will give our lads a big boost over the Christmas period. I'm sure they'll all be playing for a starting spot when we line-up in Madrid in February.

Bring it on!

SirAF

Ageist
Rafael------Rio-----Vidic--------Evra
--------------Carrick----------------
------Cleverley------Anderson-------
--------------Kagawa---------------
--------Rooney-------RVP-----------

Let's feck them up :devil:

Please God let's hope everybody is fit.
That right there. That is the team. :drool:

Jacob

We gonna need everybody to play at their best over both legs. Real Madrid is the better team, tactics need to be spot on. I hope all our knowledge about Ronaldo will help us to stop him, they have lots of other quality players mind.

Rudie

Mentary
Tons of good draws and games coming up, can't wait for this, could go either way but at least it'll be entertaining.

StuCol

Chimp
Hope Valencia is firing again. He'll be needed for his defensive help, as well as his attacking qualities. One of the few games where I'd advocate Rooney being able to drift out left to provide width, as well as supporting RVP. Have three CMs in Carrick, Cleverly and Anderson or Jones.

Inspectah deck

When they say a game will be won or lost in Midfield, these couple of games are the poster boys for that phrase. United have the edge in defense, probably about even in attack or them shading it with Ronaldo. Fortunately for United, and contrary to popular opinion, Madrid's Midfield is arguably the weakest part of their starting 11, they have the same issue with decent teams finding it easy to walk right through their middle two and compared to the very best midfields left in the competition,​

Khedira-Alonso
----Ozil------

is not as good as that of Bayern or Juve IMO, and certainly some way off Barca's midfield. Khedira isn't a world beater, and Alonso's game has dropped a level or two and he's probably even more immobile than Carrick these days, relying on niggly fouls to stay with the pace of the game. It certainly won't be a mismatch in midfield as most people will bang on about on here over the next few weeks, but only IF the gaffer picks the right midfield trio, and IMO that should be...​

Carrick-Anderson
----Rooney-----

With that trio, and a front three of RVP, Kagawa and Valencia (who should look to exploit the space the Ronaldo-Marcelo tandem leave at the back), It's a 50-50 for me.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
"A congenital heart defect has apparently felled Tatum moments before he could step into the ring"

StuCol

Chimp
----------DDG------------
Rafael--Rio--Vidic--Evra-
-----------Carrick--------
------Ando------Cleverly-
Valencia--------------------
---------------------Rooney
-----------RVP-----------

For the away leg

wonnie

When they say a game will be won or lost in Midfield, these couple of games are the poster boys for that phrase. United have the edge in defense, probably about even in attack or them shading it with Ronaldo. Fortunately for United, and contrary to popular opinion, Madrid's Midfield is arguably the weakest part of their starting 11, they have the same issue with decent teams finding it easy to walk right through their middle two and compared to the very best midfields left in the competition,​

Khedira-Alonso
----Ozil------

is not as good as that of Bayern or Juve IMO, and certainly some way off Barca's midfield. Khedira isn't a world beater, and Alonso's game has dropped a level or two and he's probably even more immobile than Carrick these days, relying on niggly fouls to stay with the pace of the game. It certainly won't be a mismatch in midfield as most people will bang on about on here over the next few weeks, but only IF the gaffer picks the right midfield trio, and IMO that should be...​

Carrick-Anderson
----Rooney-----

With that trio, and a front three of RVP, Kagawa and Valencia (who should look to exploit the space the Ronaldo-Marcelo tandem leave at the back), It's a 50-50 for me.
Erm wtf? Have you just conveniently forgotten about Modric? They most definitely have the edge in midfield. Anderson who knows if he will be fit.

Man-United

Hopefully Alonso or Ramos picks up a yellow card at Bernabeu, both are on two yellow.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Biggest match since the last CL final we were in.

Cracking draw.

We will win with a goal in the last minutes.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
We'd have to press all over the pitch, constantly...basically run our socks off the entire game. Imagine that. Anderson dead twenty minutes into the game.

Are we capable of playing the pressing game? Because if we just sit back and hope for the best, it'll be game over in the first leg.

We basically have to do what Dortmund did.

Inspectah deck

Erm wtf? Have you just conveniently forgotten about Modric? They most definitely have the edge in midfield. Anderson who knows if he will be fit.
Mourinho never plays a midfield two of Alonso and Modric together in big games, It's one or the other, and rightly so. He plays instead of Ozil and the latter is the better player, Modric has been average for them, people need to stop looking past names and how it appears on paper.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Ok my mistake, the way I read the draw was that we were home 1st,.

home second leg gives me more confidence.
We need a good performance over there.

Im glad we got a difficult tie, win and we can believe we can lift the trophy, lose and we can concentrate on the PL.

VoetbalWizard

mourinho-fergie h2h cl: 1W-2D-1L

well balanced, perhaps fergie can get Pep on the blower to get some tips.

we've faced madrid 4 times in the european cup, all in 2 legged affairs, and have gone through once.

Member 39557

I'm looking forward to this already. If the world ends tomorrow, I'll be well pissed off.

Ash_G

Wouldn't go with the diamond personally, Real have Ronaldo and Di Maria who is also a very good winger not to mention their fullbacks, you need to get to these players quickly. In the diamond if say clev/ando are in the wider berths it takes them longer to get wider. Think you'd want Young/Valencia's pace to help double up on these guys. Plus Real play 5 in the middle so you've got to match them, no way could you have 2 strikers and an a/m imo.

I reckon what we used against City is the best way forward, maybe working Kagawa in in a wider area if we can.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Mourinho never plays a midfield two of Alonso and Modric together in big games, It's one or the other, and rightly so. He plays instead of Ozil and the latter is the better player, Modric has been average for them, people need to stop looking past names and how it appears on paper.
I feel you underrate Madrid's capabilities and Mourinho's record in this competition.

Both teams will improve between now and February: us in defense, them in attack.