Beating Madrid

Brightonian

Play Rafa, Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra at the back. Carrick, Clev and Anderson in midfield. RVP upfront with Rooney & Kagawa interchanging and hit them on the break. Nullify the supply Ronnie gets from Özil and we will have a very good chance. Come the feck on United and do the fecking cnuts.
Yes!

---------------DDG-----------------
Rafael------Rio-----Vidic--------Evra
--------------Carrick----------------
------Cleverley------Anderson-------
--------------Kagawa---------------
--------Rooney-------RVP-----------

Let's feck them up :devil:
Yes!

Champions League Draw said:
Real Madrid v Manchester United
Yes!

Ok, so I wanted someone easier like Milan, but if you don't look forward to ties like this, what's the point of being in the damn competition? We could get embarrassingly mullered, or it could be a good feisty battle. Either way, it's going to be fecking awesome.

kietotheworld

If we start with the diamond we'll get buried, it won't provide anywhere near enough cover on the wings.

De Gea/Lindegaard

Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Young

van Persie​

Is what I'd put my money on assuming everyone's fit. We'll try and defend deep and hit them on the counter much like we did against City and Chelsea. If we concede first or start the second leg behind I could see us going with a diamond but I'd be amazed if we started with it.

Steven Seagull

I hope they play Khedira and not Modric. Maybe Mourinho will put out one of his mental line ups to prove a point and have Lass, Arbeloa and himself in CM. Then we'd match it with Powell and Giggs. Hopefully Nani is here for at least the 2nd leg.

Inspectah deck

I feel you underrate Madrid's capabilities and Mourinho's record in this competition.

Both teams will improve between now and February: us in defense, them in attack.
I don't rate them as much as others do, yes. Still, 50-50 against the best team in England and one of the best in the CL era with the greatest manager of all time at the helm isn't really underrating Madrid, is it? What would you say the chances were? Percentage wise?

Ash_G

If we start with the diamond we'll get buried, it won't provide anywhere near enough cover on the wings.

De Gea/Lindegaard

Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Young

van Persie​

Is what I'd put my money on assuming everyone's fit. We'll try and defend deep and hit them on the counter much like we did against City and Chelsea. If we concede first or start the second leg behind I could see us going with a diamond but I'd be amazed if we started with it.
Yeah I'd go with that with potentially Ando in for Clev, if he's playing well as we might need his power and potentially Kagawa in for Young/Valencia if he shows the quality he has.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think this is a game better suited to 4-4-2. Real Madrid exploited City's narrowness with their width and us going narrow and making it easier for Ronaldo to run into open space seems crazy. I think this a question of matching up and making sure our full backs get plenty of support, which means having a proper winger to team up with, instead of a central midfielder trying to get across to help. It also means Rooney dropping back to be the 5th man in midfield whenever we lose possession. However, if we execute our game plan and catch them when their full backs are getting forward we can win this.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We cannot play a narrow game against them surely. Ronaldo can't be left on his own against Rafael despite how well he's playing. Valencia and Rafael on the right I'd reckon if they're fit.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
----------Linders------------
Rafael--Rio--Vidic--Evra-
-----------Jones--------
------Scholes------Giggs-
Young--------------------
---------------------Rooney
-----------RVP-----------

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Crackers

greasy ginfers
On form,I think we stand a very good chance of beating them.
Counter attack vs Counter attack and we're great over 2 legs usually.
Hopefully our defense has Vidic back and finds decent from.
Confident it will.

Inspectah deck

I hope they play Khedira and not Modric. Maybe Mourinho will put out one of his mental line ups to prove a point and have Lass, Arbeloa and himself in CM. Then we'd match it with Powell and Giggs. Hopefully Nani is here for at least the 2nd leg.
That is almost guaranteed, Khedira is one of the first names on the teamsheet for Madrid. He won't play Modric with Alonso, he's too pragmatic a coach to do that, and if he does that against United he's frankly asking for trouble.

StuCol

Chimp
----------Linders------------
-----------Jones--------
------Scholes------Giggs-
Young--------------------

:drool::drool::drool::drool:
Ah yes, the tag line. Nice work!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Surely our defense can handle Ronaldo.....:(

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't rate them as much as others do, yes. Still, 50-50 against the best team in England and one of the best in the CL era with the greatest manager of all time at the helm isn't really underrating Madrid, is it? What would you say the chances were? Percentage wise?
50-50 is fair enough, with the team's current forms. I'm just hoping they don't wake up from their rut of bad form. We need our defense at top form. Basically, plenty of time between now and February.

Inspectah deck

I think this is a game better suited to 4-4-2. Real Madrid exploited City's narrowness with their width and us going narrow and making it easier for Ronaldo to run into open space seems crazy. I think this a question of matching up and making sure our full backs get plenty of support, which means having a proper winger to team up with, instead of a central midfielder trying to get across to help. It also means Rooney dropping back to be the 5th man in midfield whenever we lose possession. However, if we execute our game plan and catch them when their full backs are getting forward we can win this.
Dortmund seemed to handle them pretty well with their 4-2-3-1. The Ronaldo factor can be seen as a positive or negative. Negative because of his ability, but positive because you're almost guaranteed Madrid's left back will be left exposed most of the time, worse if it's Marcelo because he's always bombing forward.

Brightonian

We cannot play a narrow game against them surely. Ronaldo can't be left on his own against Rafael despite how well he's playing. Valencia and Rafael on the right I'd reckon if they're fit.
But Ronnie isn't their only major threat. Their whole team is stuffed full of players who can hurt you in an instant. We can't be leaving big gaps all over the team in order to pack the area around Ronaldo. Better to field a team which is strong in midfield, and limit time on the ball for the likes of Ozil and Modric, breaking the link between the midfield and Ronaldo and di Maria.

What I'm saying, basically, is that you can't just nullify one player, you have to try and disrupt their play.

That said, I wouldn't be against Valencia starting, provided he's back in form. I tend to think that you should choose the formation that suits the players who are playing well. And we don't know who those will be yet.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Dortmund seemed to handle them pretty well with their 4-2-3-1. The Ronaldo factor can be seen as a positive or negative. Negative because of his ability, but positive because you're almost guaranteed Madrid's left back will be left exposed most of the time, worse if it's Marcelo because he's always bombing forward.
Exactly, Real's going to pay if they leave their left flank too exposed, Ronaldo's not the best at tracking back is he? I think Valencia and Rafael will do a good job supported by a CM or Rooney.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Dortmund seemed to handle them pretty wellwith their 4-2-3-1. The Ronaldo factor can be seen as a positive or negative. Negative because of his ability, but positive because you're almost guaranteed Madrid's left back will be left exposed most of the time, worse if it's Marcelo because he's always bombing forward.
4-2-3-1 is basically 4-4-2 unless your '2' comprise of an old fashioned big centre forward and a pacey striker chasing the knockdowns ala Heskey and Owen.

The way we play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 or whatever you want to call it means the wingers aren't usually as high up as in a 4-2-3-1 though, which against Madrid will give us an advantage, cos of the defensive cover they can offer our full backs.

What I think would be suicidal though is to play some variant of 4-3-3 and just let Ronaldo, Marcelo, Di Maria and Arbeloa coming streaming down the flanks and double up on our fullbacks. Madrid are not Barcelona they will not play 90% of their attacks down the middle. Flooding the centre will not help us.

thegreatdane

Really nice draw - wanna be tested against the best! No excuses, we rise to the occassion! Lets beat 'em!

------------DDG
Rafael - Vidic - Evans - Evra
----Cleverly - Carrick ----
Valencia - Rooney - Young
---------RVP -----

Beat 'em down the wings like we did with Shitty. Marcello and Ramos are likely to leave lots of space behind them! Try not to be caught by their counter attacks... :-)

hp88

1st Leg at Bernabeu 13th February, the return leg will be played on 5th March.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Still so far away. So much can change with injuries. Our defence will be a lot more settled and stronger come February. At least I hope so.
Too much logic my friend, now for the reaction:

Ronny is going to feck our defence

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

StuCol

Chimp
----------DDG------------
-----------Carrick--------
------Ando------Cleverly-
Valencia--------------------

For the away leg
Somehow you all missed this, so here it is again. :D

Commadus

We played Valencia against Barca as it seemed logical he provided better cover but was actually poor as if he can't out run his fullback he is pretty limited.

The best way to stop Ron is to have a fullback who pushes past him and a wide man who cm beat his fullback. For me it should be Nani playing.

Inspectah deck

We played Valencia against Barca as it seemed logical he provided better cover but was actually poor as if he can't out run his fullback he is pretty limited.

The best way to stop Ron is to have a fullback who pushes past him and a wide man who cm beat his fullback. For me it should be Nani playing.
The problem was the ball wouldn't even get to him in the first place! That won't happen against Madrid.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Obviously we won't play Scholes or Giggs. We didn't start them against Chelsea or City. Get a grip people.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Real Madrid director Emilio Butragueno is eagerly anticipating the Champions League round of 16 tie against Manchester United, and feels the Premier League side are one of the most prestigious clubs in the world:

"I am thinking the fans will be very happy with this tie because it's very very attractive, a thrilling experience for everybody. Manchester United are not just a great team, but a great organisation and one of the most prestigious clubs in the world," Butragueno told Sky Sports.

"We know that it is going to be difficult, it is going to be a very even tie. They have a very strong team and great leadership. Alex Ferguson has been there for 25 years, he is a fantastic manager, he knows how to make the most out of his players, so we know that it is going to be very very difficult.

"They have top players but we are Real Madrid and we will try to do our best and I think that we will rise to the occasion and of course I am confident in our chances of qualifying."

The round of 16 tie means a return to Old Trafford for Cristiano Ronaldo, and Butragueno believes it will be a special meeting for the Portugal international.

"I am sure it is going to be special game for him, he's a great professional so I am sure he is going to do his best to help Real Madrid to qualify. But yes, going back there is going to be very special for him."

Lynott

I fancy our chances against anyone. We should embrace these sort of matches
Funnily enough I feel the opposite.
I feel United will be beated by the first decent team they face in Europe.
You cannot play in Europe without a midfield.

Ash_G

Funnily enough I feel the opposite.
I feel United will be beated by the first decent team they face in Europe.
You cannot play in Europe without a midfield.
Well Carrick and Clev are showing plenty of potential as a combo and they've got around 2 months to get a better understanding.