Beating Madrid

TheReligion

Abusive
I will be honest, I have stayed away from all of the threads on tonight as I genuinely don't fancy our chances this evening. The Bernabeu is one of the toughest places to go to on a CL night and we would really have to be at our best to get a positive result this evening.

I can see something like the 3-1 happening and us taking the one away goal back to Old Trafford. Obviously that is not the end of the world, but it gives us alot to do. Then again, we have comeback from similar before and I wouldn't put it past us if we keep everyone fit between now and the return game.

Hope I eat my words come 10pm this evening, although I think Ronaldo will be blistering and Mourinho's tactics to be at there frustrating best.

Cina

I'd take a 2-1 loss, it'd set up a great tie at Old Trafford then. I can't see us winning, but hey, you never know.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If mourinho can do his usual stuff in getting the best out of his team, it makes for a tough contest. Their season pins on this game, whereas we are challenging domestically too...so while it'd be disappointing to fall out at this stage, it doesn't necessarily lead to a failure of a season. If they were to lose tonight it'd be a disaster. If he transmits that message to his team, I expect a tough nut to crack home and away.

Despite that, this is of course Manchester United. Over two legs, we have a chance against anyone. OT European nights in the knockouts are generally the best games to be at as a fan, so a positive result tonight would set up a wonderful match back in England. I'm with Cina on taking a 2-1 loss...don't want to see us lose, but using my head I can see us losing the first 90 mins of this tie and if that is to be the case, I'd hope for an away goal or two. They may not count as double, but they can count!

I can't wait now, absolutely no anxiety as one sometimes feels before a big game. This is a proper footballing occasion. Quite possibly the two biggest clubs in world football going head to head, I keep saying it but it's such a shame it's the last 16.

Adebesi

Watching that programme on Mourinho last night I appreciated even more than before the magnitude of this game for them - and him. It must be one of the biggest games of his life, wanting to ensure he leaves Madrid this summer having delivered the trophy they want most. I don't feel hugely confident, but it will be a cracking game.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I think Fergie will select one of these two:

1. Defensive:

de Gea
Rafael Evans Rio Evra
Carrick
Jones Cleverley
Valencia --- RvP -- Rooney

2. Our classic formation:

de Gea
Rafael Evans Rio Evra
Carrick Cleverley
Valencia Rooney Nani
RvP

I would like to see that first with Nani instead of Valencia.

btw I'm quite sure our CB partnership for this game will be Evans and Rio.

iAm20Legend

Strangely I'm not that tense about this.. I feel pretty confident we'll get an away goal somehow. I just don't know how well we will defend / how many we can keep out.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
We have scored so many from corners this season. Should we go for the usual routine or keep some players at the back in case madrid go for the counter?

Just something which is troubling my mind...
I think we'll get one from a corner today. Van Persie's delivery is terrific, he fashions 2/3 chances every game from the set pieces alone.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Except Barcelona weren't the best in Spain that year, they finished 4th or something...
Yeah, Real finished far ahead of them and Villarreal were 2nd and quite a few points ahead too. They lost around 8 league games that season and were beaten 4-1 at Bernabeu around the time of our tie.

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
I'd like Ferguson to go with the same game-plan as he did vs City.

That worked really well and had it not been for the wrongly dissallowed Young goal we would've been up 3-0 away from home with around half an hour to go.
And while they might not be at their best City is still a very strong team, they played at home where they went unbeaten for a record number of times, and they gave Real a run for their money (atleast in the 1st game if nothing else)

Shark

@NotShark
I'd like Ferguson to go with the same game-plan as he did vs City.

That worked really well and had it not been for the wrongly dissallowed Young goal we would've been up 3-0 away from home with around half an hour to go.
And while they might not be at their best City is still a very strong team, they played at home where they went unbeaten for a record number of times, and they gave Real a run for their money (atleast in the 1st game if nothing else)
I agree. It seems to be a winning formula, so why overcomplicate things?

The only changes would be Nani on the left instead of Young and possibly Vidic in for Evans.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
We all know what Madrid are capable of but I think they aren't dissimilar to us in the sense that there are plenty of times where it doesn't quite click. They are at home so the pressure is on them, if we play to our potential we can get a result.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Can't wait for this! Hope we see this:

DDG
Rafael-Vidic-Ferdinand-Evra
Jones-Carrick
Cleverley
Valencia/Nani--------Rooney
RVP​

I think Jones will start due to how well he did versus Bale and Fellaini. Rooney can play on the left as Arbeloa isn't a very attacking right-back, so Evra won't need Rooney to stick to the wing to help out.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
To be fair if Liverpool and Arsenal can go there in the past 8 years and win I don't see why you guys cant, especially given their problems this season.

I don't think their backyard is as formidable as Barcas.

However Im going for a score draw. 2-2.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
To be fair if Liverpool and Arsenal can go there in the past 8 years and win I don't see why you guys cant, especially given their problems this season.

I don't think their backyard is as formidable as Barcas.

However Im going for a score draw. 2-2.
Although I agree to some extent, Liverpool got them with their worst side in years. Throw in the Mourinho factor and the fact that they literally have to win this tie to have any chance of salvaging their season, it makes for a tougher tie.

I think Liverpool played against Heinze Gago Diarra and a past-it Raul & Cannavaro. Just Ronaldo alone equates to a bigger threat than those combined. Throw in an Ozil, the odd worldie performance from Di Maria, Alonso and Benzema and you've got a tougher contest.

Either way, we definitely have the resources to stop them and come out on top.

MG

I don't think we'll be able to stop Ronaldo scoring but we're more than capable of scoring ourselves with our attack in great form. Obviously we should go for the win but I'd take a score draw - 1-1.

Take that away goal back to OT. I'm glad we've got it so our home game is the 2nd game. I much prefer that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
My main concern is the fact that I feel that Madrid have more goal threats than us in their attack. At least at this level. I think many of our attackers don't really have the bottle to score big goals in games like this. Other than our front two of Van Persie and Rooney, I don't see goals coming from the likes of Valencia or our midfielders I expect to start tonight. With Madrid, I believe Benzema, Higuain, Ronaldo and Di Maria will all score goals if given an opportunity.

If Nani plays, it will balance things up a bit in the sense that I'd trust him to get a goal, and I suppose Shinji has also gotten a few in Germany and seems to have the mentality to take a chance in a game like this.

Ainu

My main concern is the fact that I feel that Madrid have more goal threats than us in their attack. At least at this level. I think many of our attackers don't really have the bottle to score big goals in games like this. Other than our front two of Van Persie and Rooney, I don't see goals coming from the likes of Valencia or our midfielders I expect to start tonight. With Madrid, I believe Benzema, Higuain, Ronaldo and Di Maria will all score goals if given an opportunity.

If Nani plays, it will balance things up a bit in the sense that I'd trust him to get a goal, and I suppose Shinji has also gotten a few in Germany and seems to have the mentality to take a chance in a game like this.
I'd say RVP, Rooney, Nani and Hernandez all have plenty of bottle to score goals in games of this magnitude. Kagawa is an unknown at this stage of the competition, but I can see him being unfazed as well. I don't see a major difference here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd say RVP, Rooney, Nani and Hernandez all have plenty of bottle to score goals in games of this magnitude. Kagawa is an unknown at this stage of the competition, but I can see him being unfazed as well. I don't see a major difference here.
The reason I didn't include Hernandez as he is unlikely to start. I don't think the difference is that huge, I'd say no more than one extra player in Real's advantage, but even that is something. Both teams have defenders who are capable of scoring goals too.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Dont think i've looked forward to a non Chelsea game so much in a long time. Lets hope you guys can keep the English flag going in this years competition!

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Cheers Rob. I thought a lot of Chelsea fans would be shouting (understandably) for your man Mourinho though.
Not really, country comes first to me. Although I could see it from the point of view that knocking out Madrid means more chance he will get the sack and come back to us, but as it stands I am more concerned about us having interests in the quarters and beyond.

Thats not to say Im not aware how many of you guys wanted us to get battered by Barca and Bayern last season ;)

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Don't forget that Ronaldo is outstanding on corner kicks. Defending corners and crosses in general has been one of our most -- if our THE most -- glaring weakness of United this season. It's scary enough to deal with Real in open play, but we have to ensure maximum concentration any time there's a free kick in our last third. Hell, maximum concentration all the time!

Alek M

Da manic one
However, we have also become much more dangerous during corner kicks. Almost every game there is a good oportunity to score or or actually score a goal from a corner.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Just discovered that the game is on fecking Sky fecking Sports :mad:

Had been really looking forward to this all day.

Why do they have to whore every bloody big match.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Sorry to stick a tongue out at those again that didn't want Persie - but just imagine going in to this tie without him. Doesn't even bear thinking about.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don't think we'll be able to stop Ronaldo scoring but we're more than capable of scoring ourselves with our attack in great form. Obviously we should go for the win but I'd take a score draw - 1-1.

Take that away goal back to OT. I'm glad we've got it so our home game is the 2nd game. I much prefer that.
Well done MG

TheReligion

Abusive
I will be honest, I have stayed away from all of the threads on tonight as I genuinely don't fancy our chances this evening. The Bernabeu is one of the toughest places to go to on a CL night and we would really have to be at our best to get a positive result this evening.

I can see something like the 3-1 happening and us taking the one away goal back to Old Trafford. Obviously that is not the end of the world, but it gives us alot to do. Then again, we have comeback from similar before and I wouldn't put it past us if we keep everyone fit between now and the return game.

Hope I eat my words come 10pm this evening, although I think Ronaldo will be blistering and Mourinho's tactics to be at there frustrating best.
I am eating my words!

The 2nd half performance was immense. Very positive result and one which can see us through if we get our tactics right again at OT.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Still not sure about the way we set up. It was all very negative. Yes we created good chances but really only through van Persie and welbeck doing something brilliant. There was very little good quality link up play. Not sure a team of our quality needs to play that way. Can't argue with the result I guess