Benjamin Pavard

Mr Smith

Is Pavard actually a good CB? I know it's his preferred position but I've barely seen him play there. Any Bayern fans/Bundesliga watchers able to provide insight?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm neutral on this one. Haven't closely watched any of our CB targets to form an opinion. At least this guy would be experienced and, I'm assuming, could be trusted enough to partner Martinez if/when Varane picks up an injury.
Just a casual French word cup winner on the bench for when our other French World Cup winner gets injured.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Is Pavard actually a good CB? I know it's his preferred position but I've barely seen him play there. Any Bayern fans/Bundesliga watchers able to provide insight?
Yes he is. I think he’d do well under ETH.

saivet

I don't know but having watched him at RB, he looks like he has the attributes to be a good CB. Very much a solid fullback that looks like he's a CB type of vibe.

Alaba, Shaw and even Azpi are full backs that have proven themselves to be capable options at CB and I'd say Pavard is even more likely to be able to play the CB role.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surely we shift Lindelof to RCB cover and look for a LCB? Unless ETH is happy to use Shaw as that back-up. But it leaves us short at LB if Martinez gets injured.

Woodzy

He can cover RB too, correct? I’m fully basing this on the number of times I’ve signed him in FM as opposed to actually seeing him play

al tuna

I don't want to pretend like I know a thing about either because I clearly don't but, would he be a better choice over Todibo? Todibo is younger and taller, and looks a bit quicker. But, I'm genuinely clueless on both players to be fair.

Chairman Steve

He can play RB as well as CB. I’m somewhat sceptical about Bayern selling though. They have that Ferguson-like instinct of knowing when a player is on the decline before anyone notices.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Were they at Bayern at the same time?
Don’t know. But they wouldn’t have had much to do with each other anyway. But from the football ETH plays, he’d be a great fit. He has great passing and build up qualities. And he’s versatile, all while being an extremely good defender.
I hope he stays with us. But if you get him, you have reasons to be happy.

Skills

Snitch
Surely we shift Lindelof to RCB cover and look for a LCB? Unless ETH is happy to use Shaw as that back-up. But it leaves us short at LB if Martinez gets injured.
We have Malacia

ETH was comfortable using Lindelof as the LCB. Long term, it's Varane's fitness and eventual replacement that's going to be the concern. So it's smart to get someone in for that position.

The LCB will be playing second fiddle for Martinez.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We have Malacia

ETH was comfortable using Lindelof as the LCB. Long term, it's Varane's fitness and eventual replacement that's going to be the concern. So it's smart to get someone in for that position.

The LCB will be playing second fiddle for Martinez.
Yeah but we're noticeably weaker with a Shaw-Malacia left side pairing.

Agree we still need to replace Varane long-term.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I'd love to get him. Well-rounded player without major weaknesses, great experience, in his prime, and available on a discount due to his contract. It's a very sensible transfer.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I prefer John chair tebelo.

Never seen him play btw.

STYLOISRED

He can play RB as well as CB. I’m somewhat sceptical about Bayern selling though. They have that Ferguson-like instinct of knowing when a player is on the decline before anyone notices.
His situation is kind of similar to how they lost Kroos though. They wanted to keep him he wants a new environment and want's CB to be his main role.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Haven’t seen enough of him but he at least would come with a lot of pedigree.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Odd for a player to turn down a new contract at Bayern isn't it? Has he fallen out with someone or does he wants a bigger contract?
He's been playing in Germany his whole career basically. Wants to try something new. That's according to my Bayern-supporting mate, at least. He's not happy about it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Odd for a player to turn down a new contract at Bayern isn't it? Has he fallen out with someone or does he wants a bigger contract?
After seven years in Southern Germany (first Stuttgart, then Munich) he wants to go somewhere else.

Also he seems to look for a team where he can more often at CB than RB.

So it doesn't sound like there is a big fallout, but a desire for change.

ArjenIsM3

We've got Shaw and Malacia for LB so that's double stacked and I think Dalot has shifted to that side a few times too.

Adamsk7

If we could take the Maguire money and spend it on him without any extra that would be great business. Multifunctional and solves a lot of problems

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes a pretty good RB...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Even as a CB his progression is ridiculous. I’d sign him as a Maguire replacement too.
He’s very good on the ball. Passing is constantly forward and accurate. Exact kind of CB/RB you’d want in build up.
See above. He’s honestly probably one of the best ball playing CBs in world football and the fact he can progress so well at both RB and CB makes him in my view as near perfect a signing as you could make.

He’s a winner, he’s composed and he’s positional flexibility means he can do so much for us during a game in terms of rotations.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Versatility is the key to his appeal, I think. We need back-up to Varane but if we can strengthen our RB options at the same time....

Though I note a few people earlier in the thread suggesting he doesn't want to play at RB. How vehement has he been on that?