Benoît Badiashile

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Was a article somewhere other day that Gvardiol would be aimed for the summer and perhaps someone else in Jan. Seems it's this guy

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Great news for Colwill and Chalobah! The next Tomori and Guehi
Chalobah will stay, signed a long term deal. Think Colwill will inevitably go, Silva too is on his last legs. Was never sure he was quite ready for our first team when everyone clamoured for him to play, given he also cant make Brighton's Cb position

TheReligion

Abusive
Chalobah will stay, signed a long term deal. Think Colwill will inevitably go, Silva too is on his last legs. Was never sure he was quite ready for our first team when everyone clamoured for him to play, given he also cant make Brighton's Cb position
It’s a shame as I know he’s been highly rated. You’ve made a few errors in moving on young players. Do you think he should not get a look in before spending more?

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a shame as I know he’s been highly rated. You’ve made a few errors in moving on young players. Do you think he should not get a look in before spending more?
After the Tomori and Guehi situations yes, but honestly was it ever really likely? His loan to Brighton hasnt really done much for him either.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
After the Tomori and Guehi situations yes, but honestly was it ever really likely? His loan to Brighton hasnt really done much for him either.
Wasn’t he basically just a pawn in the deal for Cucurella? Considering there’s no buy option for Brighton, I doubt they’re taking his development too seriously.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn’t he basically just a pawn in the deal for Cucurella? Considering there’s no buy option for Brighton, I doubt they’re taking his development too seriously.
Well they asked for him apparently and he cant break into the side, so i wonder if he needs another loan in the champ. I mean we sold tomori and guehi, we will absolutely sell Colwill with the right money

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For who? I can get people being bewildered and struggling to stomach someone like Bellingham going to Liverpool or City. But this bloke going to Chelsea? Really? Crippling?
I can see it all over your crossface, you're jealous.

Gazza

It is very impressive how quickly Chelsea are moving in the market to fix the mess of their squad they created by acting so quickly in the market last time around.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
It is very impressive how quickly Chelsea are moving in the market to fix the mess of their squad they created by acting so quickly in the market last time around.
Well, we have an actual scouting and player development team in place now.

Before we empowered a coach who said he was up to it, and went off very vague notes of who the previous regime wanted (because their data … was nonexistent), and conversational tips from agents and others.

Without the pros in place you are just as likely to succeed by playing FM …

But that took time, and now we have it. I’m sure we still love Gvardiol, Marina was trying to buy him last January, but you have to imagine they are thinking their best chance of securing him definitely was January, before major bidding and influence from teams like Madrid come in. And that looks less and less likely, unless you go in for ludicrous sums.

And now there are people in the building to tell the Clearlake group when to stomp in with a massive check and when not to. In baseball it is almost always good. You chase away minnows and crush your opponents will to go on through sheer spending.

But as United fans know, in football if you get a reputation for always paying over odds it can eat at you for a long time. Plus people are dragging you into every transfer conversation on the planet as leverage. The minnows eat you.

I think Vivell in particular likes Benoit. AND you can maybe make that deal in January, freeing up time and effort on what are going to be some warlike Summer transfers.

They have a few other options for that spot as well, aside from when Colwill returns. Which is how it should work: You get a good framework for development in place and you have 4 or 5 options you really like at each spot, and hopefully you get one of them in a deal that works well for all parties

It took time to get that management structure in place. Vivell just officially started. As much as I appreciate all Roman did, the reports that the structure was simply Roman -> Marina ——-> occasionally consults Cech, were about right. We have players that suit 4 or 5 different managers, and former academy players that are now in the first team that were not molded to suit any of them, because the academy, while very good on its own, was not designed to feed the first team.

There WAS a lot to fix.And it is nice to have a semblance of what our structure will look like starting to take shape.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Great news for Colwill and Chalobah! The next Tomori and Guehi
You always say this but do you not think Silva needs a replacement? Not everything is this doom and gloom situation for academy players.

TheReligion

Abusive
You always say this but do you not think Silva needs a replacement? Not everything is this doom and gloom situation for academy players.
I do think despite the top academy you have a big issue in plotting development beyond initial breakthrough.

You’ve lost so much top talent lately and chose to spend big money on players who have failed instead. Youth players have seen this and I feel this is why you’ve not been able to repeatedly loan them any more and instead have had to sell with options. Good players won’t stick around anymore.

Its telling that since Roman your on real success has been James and Mount and that was in pat down to lampard knowing them both and the transfer ban. It’s not great.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I do think despite the top academy you have a big issue in plotting development beyond initial breakthrough.

You’ve lost so much top talent lately and chose to spend big money on players who have failed instead. Youth players have seen this and I feel this is why you’ve not been able to repeatedly loan them any more and instead have had to sell with options. Good players won’t stick around anymore.

Its telling that since Roman your on real success has been James and Mount and that was in pat down to lampard knowing them both and the transfer ban. It’s not great.
The jump from kids to first team players not easy. Rlc was our first academy player who looked great in that sarri season before injury. Then came Lampard season. Tuchel gave chances to chalobah and he started for us more than fifty games now. Gallagher got his chances now and broja too. Hall started to get some matches. Overall we did great in recent seasons for our academy kids compared to our previous attempts.

Lots of positives compared to negatives in recent seasons for academy. Things will improve lot further if we able to bring manager stability. We will see.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I would say AC was a real success too, plus Chalobah who’s knocking on the England door and recently signed a new 6 year deal. That’s 4 players in the last 5 years with hopefully more to come. A couple more on fringes hoping make the step up this season.

Of course a couple have been lost but there’s been context around most of them. Lambasting the club for not having integrated 14 academy players in 5 years just seems wild to me.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Going the City route of throwing enough shite at the wall on CBs that a few are bound to stick.

TheReligion

Abusive
I would say AC was a real success too, plus Chalobah who’s knocking on the England door and recently signed a new 6 year deal. That’s 4 players in the last 5 years with hopefully more to come. A couple more on fringes hoping make the step up this season.

Of course a couple have been lost but there’s been context around most of them. Lambasting the club for not having integrated 14 academy players in 5 years just seems wild to me.
How come you’re measuring it over 5 years?

I think it’s making decisions like spending 100s of millions on players, who weren’t that good, when you had your own ready made but for whatever reason weren’t willing to commit to them.

Can’t say I’d understand spending 80m on Fofana, 40m on Koulibaly, 40m on Badiashile, 100m on Gvardiol etc when there’s the likes of Colwill not getting a look in sat on the bench at Brighton. It’s basically the end for him.

Same happened with Gilmour, Tammy, Tomori, Guehi and then to a lesser extent Liveramento and Lamptey.

I don’t hold much hope that Chalobah will nail down a first team spot either nor Broja and Gallagher. I very much doubt all will be happy being sat on the bench.

OmarUnited4ever

I think it’s making decisions like spending 100s of millions on players, who weren’t that good, when you had your own ready made but for whatever reason weren’t willing to commit to them.

Can’t say I’d understand spending 80m on Fofana, 40m on Koulibaly, 40m on Badiashile, 100m on Gvardiol etc when there’s the likes of Colwill not getting a look in sat on the bench at Brighton. It’s basically the end for him.

Same happened with Gilmour, Tammy, Tomori, Guehi and then to a lesser extent Liveramento and Lamptey.

I don’t hold much hope that Chalobah will nail down a first team spot either nor Broja and Gallagher. I very much doubt all will be happy being sat on the bench.
I agree with your general premise, but on Chalobah & Gallagher, this season they have a chance to nail down a starting spot or at least be part of the main rotation within the squad, Chalobah is competing with a 38 yo Silva, 31 yo Koulibally, and a 22 yo Fofana, if he wants to become a top defender playing for a top team, he must prove he is better than his competition, same goes for Gallagher, Potter will definitely give them enough chances and game time.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree with your general premise, but on Chalobah & Gallagher, this season they have a chance to nail down a starting spot or at least be part of the main rotation within the squad, Chalobah is competing with a 38 yo Silva, 31 yo Koulibally, and a 22 yo Fofana, if he wants to become a top defender playing for a top team, he must prove he is better than his competition, same goes for Gallagher, Potter will definitely give them enough chances and game time.
Sure and I think that’s fine. It’s purely because they are linked with 100m Gvardiol and this guy at 40m. Both pretty young and would certainly block Chalobah and Colwill, along with Fofana.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Sure and I think that’s fine. It’s purely because they are linked with 100m Gvardiol and this guy at 40m. Both pretty young and would certainly block Chalobah and Colwill, along with Fofana.
I don't think we will sign gvardiol especially after his grand world cup journey. Real Barca city or Bayern will sign him. Last season was our chance but he didn't want to move at that time.

Many top players won't want to move to chelsea as of now. They want to see how we develop first then only will decide. So why we switched to other targets. Of course we are still in the queue to sign him but chances are very slim.

NoPace

Well they asked for him apparently and he cant break into the side, so i wonder if he needs another loan in the champ. I mean we sold tomori and guehi, we will absolutely sell Colwill with the right money
I haven't seen the kid play enough to have a take, but it's tough not to see Colwill going to like Leverkusen for 25M to replace Hincapie and then coming to the Prem to a non-Chelsea team for like 60M, if he really is the best English CB prospect, which I thought was the case as of say a year ago?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If Blastoise has a next evolution, his name is a good contender. Badiashile.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Because I wanted to? Anything before that seems like ancient history and not really relevant to what Chelsea are doing today.

But anyway you’re still doing that thing where you’re lumping all of these players into one pool as if the context around each of them isn’t different. Like, what would you (I mean you personally) have done to convince Livramento and Lamptey to stay knowing you have Reece James?

TheReligion

Abusive
Because I wanted to? Anything before that seems like ancient history and not really relevant to what Chelsea are doing today.

But anyway you’re still doing that thing where you’re lumping all of these players into one pool as if the context around each of them isn’t different. Like, what would you (I mean you personally) have done to convince Livramento and Lamptey to stay knowing you have Reece James?
Because it sounds better :lol:

Anyway I don’t think my opinion is that left field. I know plenty of Chelsea fans are disappointed and have the same concerns.

Colwill not getting the opportunity and another £100+m being dumped on other CBs would be no surprise as its what you’ve been doing for years now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Because it sounds better :lol:

Anyway I don’t think my opinion is that left field. I know plenty of Chelsea fans are disappointed and have the same concerns.

Colwill not getting the opportunity and another £100+m being dumped on other CBs would be no surprise as its what you’ve been doing for years now.
No because decisions made in 2007 doesn’t really have any relevance to a discussion you and I are having in 2022? But by all means, include as many years as you want.

There are for sure criticisms to be levelled at Chelsea for the things you’re talking about but I guess I’m just pushing back on the specific players you mentioned. So what would you have told Livramento and Lamptey to stay since you’re always bringing them up as some kind of huge mistake Chelsea made to let them go?

Anyway, I don’t want to turn this transfer thread about this French kid into pages and pages of Chelsea youth chat that no one but you and I are interested in having.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I’m interested. I said they wanted Gvardiol/Colwill on the left and Fofana/Chalobah on the right. I also said they had other options if Gvardiol didn’t work out. I believe all that is still on track.

I think Chalobah is better than Tomori and Guehi. The idea that the academy failed them though … ridiculous. It’s the kind of thinking Eghbali was talking about when he said Europe was just … behind; that thinking “if they don’t make it to the first team they failed”. One starts for a side safely in the PL, and the Other starts for the current Scudetto holders, both making millions playing football. A high percentage of people (relative to other teams) heading to Cobham end up with lucrative footballing careers. That’s what the prospects see and care about.

We had several recent RB prospects: one made Chelsea’s team, and the ones that didn’t, again, made PL squads.

We had 6 former Academy players start this season, 7 if you count cups. And that was with an Academy nowhere near optimized to where the new group wants it.

If some people aren’t moving on from your academy and starting for other teams… you are doing it wrong.

jesperjaap

Ive only seen him a handful of times, big, strong, athletic, quick.....and awful at reading the game and intelligence and decision making. He has the tools to be a good centre back but I think there are way better centre backs than him. loads of young French ones even. Many are now already at big clubs but Lukeba for example looks a far better centre back than him.

Seem to get tentaive links with us for a couple of seasons, personally glad they have remained that

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m interested. I said they wanted Gvardiol/Colwill on the left and Fofana/Chalobah on the right. I also said they had other options if Gvardiol didn’t work out. I believe all that is still on track.

I think Chalobah is better than Tomori and Guehi. The idea that the academy failed them though … ridiculous. It’s the kind of thinking Eghbali was talking about when he said Europe was just … behind; that thinking “if they don’t make it to the first team they failed”. One starts for a side safely in the PL, and the Other starts for the current Scudetto holders, both making millions playing football. A high percentage of people (relative to other teams) heading to Cobham end up with lucrative footballing careers. That’s what the prospects see and care about.

We had several recent RB prospects: one made Chelsea’s team, and the ones that didn’t, again, made PL squads.

We had 6 former Academy players start this season, 7 if you count cups. And that was with an Academy nowhere near optimized to where the new group wants it.

If some people aren’t moving on from your academy and starting for other teams… you are doing it wrong.
I agree with your point and that’s why up until this session United have officially been the most productive academy in England.

Not all the players will, or should, break in to the first team and remain within it.

That said those of the desired quality should have pathways and opportunities to do so and this is what Chelsea haven’t done particularly well in my opinion.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with your point and that’s why up until this session United have officially been the most productive academy in England.

Not all the players will, or should, break in to the first team and remain within it.

That said those of the desired quality should have pathways and opportunities to do so and this is what Chelsea haven’t done particularly well in my opinion.
That is fair. Roman saw the academy as a place to grow loan fees and sales revenue. The fact that some good players came from there was, in a way, almost incidental.

I genuinely think the idea is to have two quality guys competing regularly for minutes at each spot. And I still think they consider Colwill one of those options going forward from next Summer.

Those that think we will buy Badioshile and Gvardiol… not going to happen.

croadyman

Im surprised they keep spending on center backs, they lack goals. They need quality upfront yet they're still spending on their back line over and over again.
Least they are actually spending unlike us

SAFMUTD

Least they are actually spending unlike us
Do you really expect us to spend anything substantial this window? The Glazers are selling the club.

You don't spend on a car or house you're selling.