Benzema - Best striker in the world?

Varun

Staff
I thought Ribery was truly horrible last night, absolutely chronic and the worst player on the pitch. I think he put one decent cross in and then everything else he did was poor. All France's attacking opportunities seemed to run through him and that is why France turned up limp IMO.
Well Blanc trying to prove some kind of disciplinary point by dropping Nasri(who I think had a good tournament) really hampered them.

I've always been iffy about Ribery - United fans bitch about nani being wasteful...how many times does Ribery lose possession trying stupid flicks to no one :lol::lol:

But truth be told, he was double/triple teamed at times last night...I'm not making excuses, he had a poor game, but the team set up didn't lend itself to success, did it?
Ribery couldnt have done better though i feel. There was hardly any attacking intent from the French and he was almost always doubled tripled up. Benzema dropping very deep leaving them with no presence in the box didnt help them either.

Bizarre tactics from Blanc rather than failure of individuals.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
A bit of both I'd say Varun but more than anything else, Blanc was found out from a tactical point of view.There is losing with a bit of pride and there is losing without giving yourself any chances of winning.
I'd have much preferred to lose like Greece against Germany

Varun

Staff
A bit of both I'd say Varun but more than anything else, Blanc was found out from a tactical point of view.There is losing with a bit of pride and there is losing without giving yourself any chances of winning.
I'd have much preferred to lose like Greece against Germany
Yep, it was almost as if he was content losing by a goal as long as it didnt turn out to be a cricket score. It was just ridiculous to watch. Also i'l never understand why Benzema was asked to come so deep and move out wide as frequently as he did all tournament. Was very often just ending up next to Nasri/Ribery with no one in the box.

Regarding players failing individually, i dont see how blame can be put on the likes of ribery and benzema when they had 3 defenders around them whenever they touched the ball with no one but the other anywhere close to them.

Much like what happened with us when we had Rooney isolated with just Park for support anywhere close. Cannot blame the striker in such instances.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's the center forward and he was feeding off scraps the service to him was woeful. He looked a threat and I think he would be great at Manchester United.

kouroux

Yep, it was almost as if he was content losing by a goal as long as it didnt turn out to be a cricket score. It was just ridiculous to watch. Also i'l never understand why Benzema was asked to come so deep and move out wide as frequently as he did all tournament. Was very often just ending up next to Nasri/Ribery with no one in the box.

Regarding players failing individually, i dont see how blame can be put on the likes of ribery and benzema when they had 3 defenders around them whenever they touched the ball with no one but the other anywhere close to them.

Much like what happened with us when we had Rooney isolated with just Park for support anywhere close. Cannot blame the striker in such instances.
The individual failure was much more evident in the Sweden match which after all was the main reason we ended up getting an euthanasia by Spain.
The performance and the result in that match were horrible, the first place was so important to get specially when you're playing a day after Spain.
Mexes was bad, Rami was bad, Clichy was bad and so on so forth, tactical and individual failure in general

Varun

Staff
I didnt watch the Sweden match though, cant say much about that. But yeah, losing 2-0 knowing fully well that a second place finish could result in a match vs Spain was poor.

Varun

Staff
France's tactics all tournament has been a surprise. They had quality players in the final third and really should have put on a much better offensive display. Even vs England, it took a special goal from Nasri to get a point. Benzema was just wasted the way he was played i believe.

Cold_Boy

Benzema is good player but I don't rate him as much as others do.

Maybe because I don't like him.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Would be a great focal point for our attack would get 30+ for us but think that ship has sailed.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's the center forward and he was feeding off scraps the service to him was woeful. He looked a threat and I think he would be great at Manchester United.
He would be brilliant here. A partnership of him and Rooney, with him as the main striker and Rooney in behind would arguably be the best strike partnership in the world. We can only dream though.

Sewelly The Geordie

I thought Ribery was truly horrible last night, absolutely chronic and the worst player on the pitch. I think he put one decent cross in and then everything else he did was poor. All France's attacking opportunities seemed to run through him and that is why France turned up limp IMO.
They played with 2 RBs on one side and 3 defensively instructed midfield players. Only Ribery and Benzema seemed to be anywhere near the opposition goal.

Ribery was visibly poor but atleast he was involved in the game and trying to force the issue despite being on his own a lot of the time. It was asking a lot of him to take on players and find his only teammate in support, he was consistently crowded out.

Neither of the two were great but neither were helped by Blanc's rank cowardice. He set up his team exactly how you'd expect a former CB to.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I remember him being scary for Lyon against Us in the CL.

Similar goal tonight that he got against us. Got the ball, quick turn, neat finish.

kouroux

It's amazing how Mourinho is getting the best from both Higuain and Benzema while having to keep them happy in terms of playing time.Karim has just got more to his game

OGkush

Hey man, got any papers?
Terrific player, however I wouldn't take him over Rooney, RvP, Falcao or Cavani, and probably also Aguero. He's not far behind, but those are the ones I'd go with prior than Benzema.
I didn't forget Ibrahimovič, I just think that if the team's playing system isn't built around him he isn't nearly as effective.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
He still isn't the best striker in the world but there is no way Higuain should start ahead of him.
Marcos will not be pleased but I agree, Higuain has been too wasteful with opportunities for a while now. His confidence looks shot, something Benzema seems to have plenty of right now.

KanieKaned

Changed the game when he came on I thought. He's an absolute fecking tank of a lad. Lovely finish for his goal reminded of a similar strike a while ago :nervous:

Cracking game overall

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Benzema is the French version of Rooney. He doesn't throw tantrums, he's moody. He shags underage birds instead of old women. He aims the ball low, Rooney aims high.

He's a great player. That goal was a trademark of his. So good at taking the first touch and turning away from his man and releasing a shot quickly.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Higuain scores a lot of goals, in fact there's one particular goal (where he runs onto the ball on the edge of the box, takes one touch to steady it and shoots) that he scores a lot of, other goals - not so much. He's not bad in other situations, he doesn't take lots of random shots, he works hard, he can do some nice crosses but he's just ordinary, so ordinary that the forward play of the team looks ordinary.

So, Higuain scores goals, he works hard and the fans love him, it's not so hard to see why he gets in the team.

Benzema can help make the whole Madrid attack work. Ronaldo plays better when he's on the pitch - a big thing given that basically if Ronaldo scores, Madrid don't lose. But Benz isn't that reliable in front of goal, he can look dozy and dropping Higuain to accommodate him when he's not on scoring form is difficult. I reckon he did enough to earn his place back last night, he might even start against Rayo now :D

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
No idea why the City defender (Nastasic was it?) decided to give him so much room on the 18 yard line for his second goal... but Benzema capitilised on it superbly. Was a fantastic goal from him, and indeed, a very good performance when he came on.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
My roommate's friend just made a song to honour him, I guess.

Pocho

3 Liga goals, wowww, best striker ever, 3 less than Adriano.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Best striker in the world :lol: When did he ever deserve this tag? In his brief spell of being fantastic last season (or whenever it was), he was great to watch. Strong as an ox and a good finisher.

I would have rated Van Persie over him over the past few years.