Berbatov | Fulham player

Number7

Ret's Slave
He's fecking lazy.

I can't believe the amount of people that argue he isn't.

Could be a great player...but his attitude stinks.

Kaka83

Berbatov is no where near playing like a world class striker. In fact I doubt he's world class at all. What has he done/achieved that anybody would label him world class?

2 good seasons at Tottenham doesn't make you World Class
Hiding in big games doesn't make you world class.
Lazy and World Class don't go together.

Saha wasn't/isn't World Class, but he sure looked like it when playing for us. Saha, despite being an inferior player, had more impact for us when he played than Berbatov ever could.

Berbatov will never really suit us unless we change the way we play, because the lazy gimp isn't going to change his style to suit the Champions. And what's strange, so many fans are alright with that. Like the Champions are the ones lucky to have Berbatov, not the other way around. Sad.

Number7

Ret's Slave
Berbatov is no where near playing like a world class striker. In fact I doubt he's world class at all. What has he done/achieved that anybody would label him world class?

Saha wasn't/isn't World Class, but he sure looked like it when playing for us. Saha, despite being an inferior player, had more impact for us when he played than Berbatov ever could.

Berbatov will never really suit us unless we change the way we play, because the lazy gimp isn't going to change his style to suit the Champions. And what's strange, so many fans are alright with that. Like the Champions are the ones lucky to have Berbatov, not the other way around. Sad.
100% Agreed.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I've been trying to give the benefit of a doubt up until now but I'm starting to agree with you TBH

OneUnited24

he's a cock, to be fair.
:nono: Now thats not being fair!

But back on topic, Im not going to argue that hes world class but for a player in his first season wouldnt you all agree hes doing alright? Or is it just me...

Ekeke

:nono: Now thats not being fair!

But back on topic, Im not going to argue that hes world class but for a player in his first season wouldnt you all agree hes doing alright? Or is it just me...
Just you. You're doing alright.

IMO Berbatov has done the bare minimum to not be considered a flop so far. He's had too many invisible matches and when he's played well he's not looked a £25 million or more player. Next season he should do a lot better though... And if he doesnt... He'll be out of excuses.

Still plenty of big games left for him to prove his worth this season and next and he clearly has talent.

But I stand by what I've said from around this point last season. Very good player who isnt "Rooney's perfect partner" as some claimed. And not the signing that "completes the squad" as they also claimed.

OneUnited24

But thats not the point at all, the whole reason we brought Berbatov was because he brings something different to the team. While some will say "is that 'difference' better?" Thats debatable, to me we have been unfortunate with our front men not being in form - Start of the season people were calling Rooney to be dropped, Tevez was firing and Ronaldo was out with injury. Mid-season Rooney was in form then got injuried, Tevez started looking good, Ronaldo about average and Berba was in form (his stats back this up and we won a lot of games during this time). During this time people were warming to Berba and began to realise that he does bring something special to the team, that his passing and vision is brilliant even in the tightest of spots.

Since mid-Jan Berbas not been in form and we have all turned on him but are we quick to forget that in his first season he has something like 16 goals already this season and 11 assists?

Ekeke

But thats not the point at all, the whole reason we brought Berbatov was because he brings something different to the team. While some will say "is that 'difference' better?" Thats debatable, to me we have been unfortunate with our front men not being in form - Start of the season people were calling Rooney to be dropped, Tevez was firing and Ronaldo was out with injury. Mid-season Rooney was in form then got injuried, Tevez started looking good, Ronaldo about average and Berba was in form (his stats back this up and we won a lot of games during this time). During this time people were warming to Berba and began to realise that he does bring something special to the team, that his passing and vision is brilliant even in the tightest of spots.

Since mid-Jan Berbas not been in form and we have all turned on him but are we quick to forget that in his first season he has something like 16 goals already this season and 11 assists?
13 goals and 9 assists in all competitions. So no we havent forgotten, its just not actually happened.

Incidently thats 6 goals less and the same amount of assists as the "average" Ronaldo. Ronaldo has played 1 more match though.

OneUnited24

13 goals and 9 assists in all competitions. So no we havent forgotten, its just not actually happened.

Incidently thats 6 goals less and the same amount of assists as the "average" Ronaldo. Ronaldo has played 1 more match though.
Sorry i should have said average compared to last season (which was amazing but i knew he wouldnt produce the 42 goals again in another season), also its not really fair comparing the worlds best player to Berbatov now is it?

OneUnited24

But I stand by what I've said from around this point last season. Very good player who isnt "Rooney's perfect partner" as some claimed. And not the signing that "completes the squad" as they also claimed.
Really because when Rooney actually hit form this season i put a lot of it down to Berba holding the line... Must just be me again

Ekeke

Really because when Rooney actually hit form this season i put a lot of it down to Berba holding the line... Must just be me again
He's been in form before though, before we signed Berbatov.

In fact last season he did the exact same thing. Hit form, was scoring goals and looking a brilliant player and then he had his problems with injury. He did the exact same thing this season (while Berbatov was here and playing) perhaps with an extra 5% - but its up to you whether you put that down to Berbatov or the fact Rooney is a year older, more experienced and improving as a player. He then lost his shooting boots against Arsenal and soon after got injured again.

OneUnited24

He's been in form before though, before we signed Berbatov.

In fact last season he did the exact same thing. Hit form, was scoring goals and looking a brilliant player and then he had his problems with injury. He did the exact same thing this season (while Berbatov was here and playing) perhaps with an extra 5% - but its up to you whether you put that down to Berbatov or the fact Rooney is a year older, more experienced and improving as a player. He then lost his shooting boots against Arsenal and soon after got injured again.
Im not too sure about that, this season i will admit was the first time in about 1.5 seasons that i've seen Rooney play and thought "theres that lad we picked up when he was 18!" He was that good, in previous seasons hes hit good form and was brilliant but i felt that this time round he had that little extra bit about him which was a joy to watch - then he did what Rooney does and got injuried! Seeing how he reached this by playing with Berba for United and Heskey for England i just thought hes playing in a role he likes - behind a striker and we were all seeing the benefits of it.

IMO Berba can bring the best out of Rooney and Tevez brings the best out of Berba, its been proven that Tevez and Rooney is exciting to watch but in the games they've played they dont seem to have the same impact - but this could be because they havent played many games this season.

Ekeke

Deary me.

Bizarre.
Certainly is considering he was a match winner for Spurs against us last season wasnt he? Easy goal, but they all count.

I think there are definate questions over his mentality and how often he will be a match winner in the biggest games, but he's going to do it now and again as he has too much ability not to. The question is really how hard he'll try and work himself into those situations.

CptMarvel

An expensive flop? Makes our desperation to sign him in the summer laughable. He has ability in bundles, but hasn't shown anywhere near enough to hold down a place in the team.

This is his third season in the Prem, so that can't be held as an excuse, and he's had several opportunities to integrate himself in to the team.

Our football is far less fluid with him in the team. We in effect have three strikers that all want to play in the same position, and no one who can effectively lead the line. Surely Fergie must have known this before he decided to shell out £30 mill.
He spent most of the season leading in assists made throughout the premiership, back then people were calling for him to play higher up the pitch, now he's playing higher up the pitch and no ones giving him the service, sounds to me like we need two Berbatovs.

You could say our footballs far less fluid and blame it on a striker, you could also blame it on TBPITW's inability to play effectively on the wing anymore but then again its only cool to pick on the new kid.

djemba's arse

Saha was a very good player when fit, Berbatov on form is world class. Ridiculous comparison really.
Far from it. Man for man Berbatov might be the better player, but Saha possibly added more to the team. We don't have anyone who poses a real threat behind the back four at the moment (well, possibly Ronaldo), and Saha added pace to our game.

Edit: it is his first season here, though.

reddev07

Far from it. Man for man Berbatov might be the better player, but Saha possibly added more to the team. We don't have anyone who poses a real threat behind the back four at the moment (well, possibly Ronaldo), and Saha added pace to our game.
Agreed

and it was his pace that allowed his excellent early 06/07 form which helped us begin a serious title challenge

OneUnited24

Agreed

and it was his pace that allowed his excellent early 06/07 form which helped us begin a serious title challenge
If we wanted a pacy CF we should have gone for Eto'o in the summer, he was offered to everyone. We wanted something different and we went for Berba, it was SAF's call and i think it will pay off

Justin

Would it be asking too much for a 30m striker to simply play brilliantly right from the start without this first season adaptation?

Coca Cola

One balled wonder
It´s amazing how quick people are to change their opinion on Berbatov.

When he was playing well and scoring goals around Christmas the posts on him were mostly positive, saying how he was gonna be a class player for us, 3 bad games and he´s Veron.

Berbatov is class and will be a great player for United. He´ll prove the doubters wrong, I have no doubts about that.

OneUnited24

Is that even true or some media usual bullshit ?
No really, when Barcas new coach came in he told Ronaldinho and Eto'o they were free to leave and his agent even came out and said he was offered to United/Chelsea/Milan's but none wanted to take the risk as many believed he and Ronaldinho were the main trouble makers in the Barca dressing room, BTW his agent only came out with this because the overall statement he made was something like "Barca offered him to all these clubs but he wants to stay at Barca and prove himself once again" or something like that

reddev07

If we wanted a pacy CF we should have gone for Eto'o in the summer, he was offered to everyone. We wanted something different and we went for Berba, it was SAF's call and i think it will pay off
I heard his wage demands were ridiculously high and thats why he never really came close to signing for anybody last summer. Agreed about SAF's call paying off though

Justin

I heard his wage demands were ridiculously high and thats why he never really came close to signing for anybody last summer. Agreed about SAF's call paying off though
£100K a week plus bonuses if reports are right about Spurs' bid

reddev07

£100K a week plus bonuses if reports are right about Spurs' bid
Oh yeah I forgot Spurs put in a bid :lol:

He said he didn't want to lower himself or something, That was his reason for turning them down

Justin

Oh yeah I forgot Spurs put in a bid :lol:

He said he didn't want to lower himself or something, That was his reason for turning them down
I believe his words were "mid-table and I need more".

Ekeke

He spent most of the season leading in assists made throughout the premiership, back then people were calling for him to play higher up the pitch, now he's playing higher up the pitch and no ones giving him the service, sounds to me like we need two Berbatovs.

You could say our footballs far less fluid and blame it on a striker, you could also blame it on TBPITW's inability to play effectively on the wing anymore but then again its only cool to pick on the new kid.
He's played further up the pitch without Rooney on it. When Rooney plays he has almost always played behind him. And if Berbatov leading the line doesnt work, perhaps we shouldnt have bought him since thats the type of player he was replacing (Saha).

Its a bit like replacing Scholes with Senna. Quality though he is, he's not exactly got the perfect qualities to replace him.

And Ronaldo has been the most productive winger in the league. He hasnt been best player of the world standard thats for sure but aside from Vidic, who has? Ronaldo has created and scored more goals than any of our other players. Thats a pretty effective winger right there.

AllhailManUtd

Manchester United need a minor miracle now, they'r
Saha was a very good player when fit, Berbatov on form is world class. Ridiculous comparison really.
There is no arguing that, Berbatov, purely from a technical standpoint, is superior to saha. But saha brought much more to the team than berba has imvho. Despite his assists, hes still brought the quality of our attacking play down. If you compare our goals this season vs the last two seasons:

07/08 - 80 goals in 38 games
06/07 - 83 goals in 38 games

This season we have scored 49 goals in 29 games, and I think its safe to say given the way things are going we arent going to score another 30 odd goals in 9 games.

Despite his obvious skill, he hasnt added to our game in a good way. Saha offered something different as well and he did it damn well.

Berbatov, unfortunately (IMO) has not

Let the firing begin :(

CptMarvel

He's played further up the pitch without Rooney on it. When Rooney plays he has almost always played behind him. And if Berbatov leading the line doesnt work, perhaps we shouldnt have bought him since thats the type of player he was replacing (Saha).

Its a bit like replacing Scholes with Senna. Quality though he is, he's not exactly got the perfect qualities to replace him.

And Ronaldo has been the most productive winger in the league. He hasnt been best player of the world standard thats for sure but aside from Vidic, who has? Ronaldo has created and scored more goals than any of our other players. Thats a pretty effective winger right there.
I think Ronaldo is the man to lead our line, I stand by him not being a winger anymore, he may have created and scored more goals than any other of our players, but he looks poor out wide and great in the middle.

I think Ferguson saw this last season and it's partly the reason why Rooney was played on the wing so much.