Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

lao

It's the thought that counts. ;)
I was thinking about a girl though, but still. ;)

I'll repost my poem I wrote about United in english a while back instead to keep you happy. If it isn't obvious, it's about waking up after losing to West Ham at home, but still winning the league. :p

Monday Morning

As town welcomes dawn
As picturesque rooftops reach up above
As lonely sheets of paper wander the lawn
As carpets of green grasps the love

As if the places of array
Had left us a feeling of astray
As if Sir Matt Busby Way
Had suddenly turned from grey

A mere consternation
Could not dampen our anticipation
Could not expose our fray

A hint of alienation
Graced our minds of determination
Graced our beloved sunday

giggs-beckham

Clueless
By the way i had a job intertview yesterday morning but had to stay up to see the berb transfer.
I actually got the job ive been looking for for 1.5 years it will change my life , at last after depession and dissapointment ive got the good news yesterday.
And weve got berbatov, a good 24 hrs indeed.

BahamaRed

Legend
By the way i had a job intertview yesterday morning but had to stay up to see the berb transfer.
I actually got the job ive been looking for for 1.5 years it will change my life , at last after depession and dissapointment ive got the good news yesterday.
And weve got berbatov, a good 24 hrs indeed.
Congrats G-B

Bet your new boss didn't pick you up at the airport.

Christofaux

I was thinking about a girl though, but still. ;)

I'll repost my poem I wrote about United in english a while back instead to keep you happy. If it isn't obvious, it's about waking up after losing to West Ham at home, but still winning the league. :p

Monday Morning

As town welcomes dawn
As picturesque rooftops reaches up above
As lonely sheets of paper wanders the lawn
As carpets of green grasps the love

As if the places of array
Had left us a feeling of astray
As if Sir Matt Busby Way
Had suddenly turned from grey

A mere consternation
Could not dampen our anticipation
Could not expose our fray

A hint of alienation
Graced our minds of determination
Graced our beloved sunday
Loneley sheets of paper?

By the plural they aren't lonely at all. Is there supposed to be a plural on wander?

rhyming is gay, the great poems don't rhyme.

I'm not quite sure what it is with you poms and posting poems over the internet.

lao

Loneley sheets of paper?

By the plural they aren't lonely at all. Is there supposed to be a plural on wander?

I'm not quite sure what it is with you poms and posting poems over the internet.
Great poems can rhyme, great poems can also not rhyme. Sheets of paper doesn't have to be wandering the lawn together, fecker.

ThatOldRedMagic

I have no time for Glaston. Yes, he has some good points but he interweaves them with pure Wummery. Think he likes it here though. Some caftards actually listen to him which I think is absent in the rest of his life.
Maybe it's just me but whenever I see the posters here who are non-United fans I immediately find myself regarding them as guests. Yes I know they are proper memebers of the Caf, but they are guests in so far as they are outsiders amongst a tightly-knit band of brothers. I therefore cannot help myself from wishing to see them treated with respect, as would be any guest in one's own home.

Perhaps it's just something that's deeply bred into me, but it always feels uncomfortable to witness these posters being pelted with the old rotten fruit. And indeed it's both informative and also a privilege, in a way, to have such posters here; they give us their time and input (not always to our liking, but that is surely only natural) and helps us keep a sense of perspective. It gives us the countervailing point of view. And sometimes inside information also.

So go easy on the insults. Animated discussion, passionate debate, even heated argument. But trading insults and mindless invective? I hope not.

rotherham_red

Whoever thinks that Berbatov coming will lead to either Rooney or Tevez being on the bench, is a cretin.
We'll play a 4-2-3-1, with Ronaldo, Tevez, and Rooney playing in behind the space between Berbatov, the opposing Defence, and the midfield.
Each of the four will also interchange positions, so the positions on the teamsheet will be nominal..

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Similar to the formation barcelona played the year they won the Liga. I would love to see that, only i doubt fergie will play all four attacking players together.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I just was just going over some of the berbatov videos, his use of the outside of the boot is exceptional.

reddevilcanada

Is Glaston deluded or what? Even the Liverpool fans don't think they'll finish ahead of us, yet he predicts us to finish below the dippers. Tottenham finishing in the bottom 5 and fighting relegation is much more likely than United finishing behind the dippers. The dippers won't even finish ahead of Arsenal, but considering what's happened recently it's understandable that you are more bitter and deluded than usual.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Ah, Glaston has returned, how lovely, and he's as logical as ever.
So are you still confident that dos Santos will show to be a better player than Rosicky within 5 months, now that you've actually seen him play?
Yes, but I'm not going to re-enter that discussion right now. Sufficient unto the day ....

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Oh we can do that alright. Looks like we're gonna have to.

Which, funnily enough, remind me of the conclusion of an almost identical discussion you got locked into around this time last season.
Talking of earlier discussions, I can also remember long threads concerning my saying (for example):

* (Last summer, when Henry went to Spain) That given the choice, most managers would prefer to sign Berbatov rather than Henry taking all factors into account including age and injury-frequency. This view was attacked on all sides, but I defended it. Who now will say I was wrong?

* (Last summer and again last January): That Berbatov would not be sold to MUFC (or anyone else) in those windows under any circumstances. Again this information was widely attacked, but I stuck to my guns and events proved it to be correct.

2x G.N. Sweepstake Winner, Apprentice Winner 2013
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place.
Talking of earlier discussions, I can also remember long threads concerning my saying (for example):

* (Last summer, when Henry went to Spain) That given the choice, most managers would prefer to sign Berbatov rather than Henry taking all factors into account including age and injury-frequency. This view was attacked on all sides, but I defended it. Who now will say I was wrong?

* (Last summer and again last January): That Berbatov would not be sold to MUFC (or anyone else) in those windows under any circumstances. Again this information was widely attacked, but I stuck to my guns and events proved it to be correct
I may be wrong here but Berbatov is now a Manchester United player?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I may be wrong here but Berbatov is now a Manchester United player?
I may be wrong here but I believe my post referred to the windows of last summer and last January.

At the start of this summer I agreed that Berbatov would most likely be sold.

rotherham_red

Similar to the formation barcelona played the year they won the Liga. I would love to see that, only i doubt fergie will play all four attacking players together.
Why wouldnt he? He did at times last season when all four of Ronaldo, Nani, Tevez, and Ronney played together.
Also, you have to remember, we have to justify our outlays on Tevez, Rooney, and Berbatov in particular, and we have to make Ronaldo feel wanted enough for him to stay (even though I personally wished he fecked off)...
All we need is two deep-lying midfielders for it to work, and we have an abundance of them in the form of Fletcher, Hargreaves, Scholes, and Carrick, with Possebon possibly also in the mix, though that may be influenced by injuries to the aforementioned four....

Rednails

Tottenham's 'brain trust' prove to be more horror than romantic comedy in the transfer market

Last updated at 11:47 AM on 03rd September 2008

Remember the last time you walked into Blockbuster to rent a DVD for the evening? Of course you can.

Your wife headed straight for the slushy movies, hoping for a slobber on the sofa later when The Guy Gets The Girl and you darted towards the section that had the word 'Armageddon' splashed across the jacket sleeves.

"What about this one, sweetheart?" 'Nah. "I've heard rave reviews about this one..."

"Seen it."

"How about this one?"

"Yeah, could do."

Half an hour later you're even asking the pimple-faced Indie kid behind the counter what the 'Manager's Specials' are this week.

Well, that was Tottenham's training ground in Chigwell on Monday evening.

The 'brains trust' - chairman Daniel Levy, sporting director Damien Comolli and manager 'Magic' Juande Ramos - were browsing the aisles, waiting for an import to scream out at them as the clocked ticked towards the transfer deadline.

What a way to do business.

They have had one year's notice to prepare for Dimitar Berbatov's departure.

One whole year. Heavens, they make the films in less time than that.

There are more target lists inside Damien Comolli's office at that club's training ground than you can shake a stick at and yet the club's director of football could not deliver under pressure.

They liked the look of Emile Heskey, so much so that they offered Wigan's manager Steve Bruce - who had accidentally stumbled across the England Under 21 team hotel in Hertfordshire to speak to Fraizer Campbell - £10m for the England striker.

Bruce's ear could not be bent. That was at 10pm.

Next off the shelf was Kevin Doyle, away with the Ireland squad but expecting a phone call from Reading's director of football Nicky Hammond to say that Aston Villa had lodged a £7m bid.

Instead, Spurs scrambled Hammond's number and eventually made contact with the head of football at the Madejski Stadium.
Kevin Doyle

"You must be joking?" he coughed. "It's 10.30pm."

Except Spurs were not. They had 90 minutes to find a striker and with time running out, it appears Comolli had scanned down the list of the top goalscorers in the Championship and settled for Doyle - the Irishman doesn't score a hat-trick every week, Damien!

Hammond was outraged, telling Tottenham they had three months to make a move and now they were 30 minutes from the deadline. Too late for Reading to even consider lining up a replacement. Hammond's phone was off the hook until well past midnight.

Good on him.

Then came the call that led to Campbell's arrival at White Hart Lane. The Manchester United striker had also been waiting on Aston Villa, there was a £7m bid from Hull City, where he scored 15 goals on loan last season, and Wigan's manager was still man-marking him in a Hertfordshire hotel.

You would like to think that any business prepared to commit itself to a £10m transfer fee and another £12m in wages over the course of a contract would have thought long and hard about the scattergun approach that eventually led to them leaving Blockbuster with a budget movie.

Sir Alex Ferguson was beside himself, pushing for the Berbatov deal to be done as the Spurs contingent watched incredulously as the Bulgarian made eyes with the United manager and chief executive David Gill in camera shot of a rolling sports news channel at Old Trafford.

Levy was livid, Comolli could not come up with a satisfactory replacement for the Bulgarian and Ramos was even offered the chance to recall him.

Fergie found the solution. Spurs could take Campbell, a player still very much in production, on loan for a year (with no option to purchase) and United will pay the £31m for Berbatov.

That was as good as the closing credits for United.

Expect Spurs to re-shoot in January.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1052009/ASH-WEDNESDAY

lao

Tottenham's 'brain trust' prove to be more horror than romantic comedy in the transfer market

Last updated at 11:47 AM on 03rd September 2008

Remember the last time you walked into Blockbuster to rent a DVD for the evening? Of course you can.

Your wife headed straight for the slushy movies, hoping for a slobber on the sofa later when The Guy Gets The Girl and you darted towards the section that had the word 'Armageddon' splashed across the jacket sleeves
Sorry, but no. Would never happen. Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime reporter.

ThatOldRedMagic

Loneley sheets of paper?

Oh really? And I suppose that

'Shall I compare thee to a summer's day
Thou art more lovely and more temperate
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May
And summer's lease hath all too short a let
Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines
And often is his fair complexion dimmed
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance of nature's changing course untrimm'd'

etc etc is not a great poem? Shakespeare not good enough eh?

Shelley more to your taste perhaps?

'I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!í
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away...'

Shall I go on?

Rednails

Spurs fume, but Dimitar Berbatov's Manchester United deal 'broke no rules'

Dimitar Berbatov happily rushed into Manchester United's willing embrace on Monday night, rather than Manchester City's as Tottenham had hoped, because Spurs had given him permission "to go to Manchester''.

By Henry Winter
Last Updated: 1:42PM BST 03 Sep 2008

That comment was taken by United as an invitation to meet Berbatov without feeling they were breaking any Premier League rules on courting other clubs' players.

The Premier League said yesterday no rules had been broken by United, because no complaint had been made. Spurs were angry that Berbatov was met by United at the airport, when they had agreed a fee with City.

The Londoners agreed to sell to United because of the player's desire to go to the champions, Juande Ramos' preference for getting a sulky player out of his dressing-room and because they needed a replacement striker. As the midnight deadline loomed, United's promising youngster, Fraizer Campbell, was the only option.

So Spurs yielded and agreed to drop their complaint over United's conduct in return for £30.7 million for Berbatov and the year-long loan services of Campbell. The figure was more than United initially wanted to pay, negotiations having begun with the champions offering £25 million, and Spurs may eventually view £30.7 million and a year of Campbell as good business with Berbatov so desperate to leave.

"My only goal was to put on the red shirt,'' Berbatov told MUTV yesterday. "It was a tough month. I lived between euphoria and despair. I play to enjoy, to entertain the fans, I don't play for the money. If I want to play for the money, I will accept Manchester City offer or Chelsea, but no, I want to play for the biggest club in the world.''

United's chief executive, David Gill, admitted City's bid was a surprise. "Yes it was, but the takeover at City and the subsequent release of funds meant they were always going to be pretty active on the last day,'' Gill said. "Were we worried? No, not really.

"The very fact that the player had made it clear throughout the summer that he wanted to leave Tottenham to join Manchester United for playing ambitions was enough for us.

"He'd talked about his desire to play in the Champions League and to join a club that was challenging for major trophies. So we were quite relaxed about it.''

Spurs were less relaxed. "It's no secret that relations between the two clubs are not flourishing,'' Berbatov's agent, Emil Dantchev, said. "City's offer was better in financial terms but he [Berbatov] remained adamant and looked only in one direction.''

Transfer deadline day was a triumphant one for the double-winners. City kept Robinho from the clutches of Chelsea, United's main rivals, and word seeped out of Anfield that Fernando Torres' hamstring problem ruled him out of the Sept 13 collision with the champions. Louis Saha even passed his medical at Everton.

Most significantly, United got Berbatov. "He'll bring a bit of composure to the front line of attack,'' Sir Alex Ferguson said, also on MUTV. "He'll be good focus for us in terms of points of attack.

"He's a very clever player, great vision, balance, good finisher and he's got a presence about him, not just his height but he's got an overall presence about him which has got to be useful to us. He's a big-game player.''

Now 27, the Bulgarian indicated that he could see out his career at Old Trafford. "Can you go higher from Manchester United?'' Berbatov asked.

Rednails

Dimitar Berbatov must embrace Manchester United's team ethic
The new Cantona? Well, not quite, but there are some aspects of Dimitar Berbatov's game that will have Old Trafford drooling in the way that it did when King Eric was so memorably ruling the roost.

By Alan Smith
Last Updated: 8:30AM BST 03 Sep 2008

The audacious imagination, the talent for surprise, the lavish ball skills, all wrapped up in an arrogant bravado that screams unshakable self-belief. From that point of view, comparisons with the Frenchman are inevitable and Manchester United fans will simply adore their new No 9, as long as he embraces the prevailing team ethic.

If he doesn't, if Berbatov starts shrugging those shoulders, pulling a face when someone doesn't give him the ball, it won't just be his new manager who starts asking questions. Equally talented team-mates who, unlike the new signing, own several shiny medals to back up their argument, will join 70,000-plus punters in demanding more.

To be fair, though, I can't see that happening, at least to begin with. Yes, he's been bought for an astronomical sum, but when he looks around and sees those other famous faces – Ferdinand and Giggs, Rooney and Scholes, Van Der Sar and Tevez, not forgetting the superstar figure of Cristiano Ronaldo – the Bulgarian international must realise that he's not special any more.

That said, he will bring something different to United's line-up. Ironic, really, that over the course of the last two seasons – glitteringly successful ones, you may recall – the call has gone out for Sir Alex Ferguson to buy a proper centre-forward; someone to provide a steady focal point around which the movement of Rooney, Ronaldo et al would prosper even more.

Well, we're about to find out if that theory is true, even if Berbatov doesn't quite fit the description of an orthodox target man.

This hugely gifted 27-year-old can hold the ball up. I've rarely seen anyone, in fact, blessed with such wonderfully 'soft' feet. Pressurised from all angles, he can keep his body nice and relaxed so that the incoming ball doesn't bounce off.

Thanks to a natural sense of timing he's also deceptively strong in the air, an asset that will offer the champions, previously short of inches up front, another useful route forward.

Yet Berbatov also likes to drop off the last line of defence, come a little deeper to find space and turn. This shouldn't be a problem, though. Just look how beautifully he dovetailed at Tottenham with Robbie Keane.

The trick is making sure you don't do this together – something Ferguson will surely work on. He'll also have to decide who to leave out when Ronaldo gets fit. After all, I can't see Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez in the same starting XI too many times. Tevez, therefore, might not be feeling quite so excited as some about this latest capture.

Ferguson will, though, not least because it also allows him to select a more balanced-looking 4-3-3 system, the shape he still likes to occasionally deploy, especially in Europe. With Berbatov through the middle, flanked by Rooney and Ronaldo, the Champions League winners menacingly move forward with another string to their bow.

If that's a scary thought for Europe's elite, the Premier League has just received a timely reminder. In Berbatov, United have acquired yet another match-winner.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Berbatov swagger has echoes of Cantona: Fergie's £30m man is art-loving loner

The modern Manchester United surged to power in the mid-1990s thanks to a moody, enigmatic forward who bemused and charmed his manager and team-mates in equal measure.

Now the Barclays Premier League champions may have signed another such player. Dimitar Berbatov has declared himself a loner, a perfectionist and an art lover, with a dislike of alcohol but a weakness for the odd cigarette. If that sounds a bit like Eric Cantona then take this description of Berbatov's behaviour from former Tottenham

'You look at him and his mannerisms suggest he is a bit sullen,' said Pleat.

'He looks as though he can maybe be disrespectful towards lesser players, someone who can be very quick to chastise others whom he feels may not be performing totally up to his own very high level.

'But he is a talent, a player of deft touches and intelligence. It will be utterly fascinating to see how Alex Ferguson utilises him.'

Pleat's words could have been spoken 15 years ago about Cantona. Ask a player like Ryan Giggs to talk about the constructive part the Frenchman played in his development. Conversely, ask Andy Cole how many stares burned deep in the back of his head each time King Eric felt his strike partner had not come up to scratch. Watching Berbatov assimilate into Ferguson's squad of superstars will certainly be interesting.

Away from the field, Berbatov is an individual. If Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville manage to drag him to this year's Christmas Party they will have done well.

Berbatov said recently: 'I have not been to a bar or disco in London. I went to an engagement party of a team-mate, I paid my respects and then left. I hope that doesn't sound sad. Sacrifices must be made.

'I live in an apartment block surrounded by security fences. It's quiet and pleasant and people can't bother me. I feed squirrels from the balcony. I paint or draw. I'll open a magazine and if I see something I like I'll try to copy it. A few days ago I drew an angel with a pen. Maybe God has given me a kind of talent!'

The 27-year-old Bulgaria striker undoubtedly has rare talent as a footballer. He will bring Ferguson's team a presence in the air and an attacking focal point they have lacked since the sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy two summers ago.

For all their potency going forward, United can lose shape as Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Cristiano Ronaldo seem unsure about who should play at the top of their team's formation. Rooney and Tevez are not suited to it and Ferguson will hope the former will find a little of his true self now he has a No 9 to play off.

'Berbatov will definitely need an effective partner - or partners - to play with, as that is what he had at Tottenham with Robbie Keane,' added Pleat. 'Keane's influence on Berbatov's success was huge.

'Berbatov will need to work at understandings with more than one player and appreciate the values of squad rotation. But he is a wonderful talent.'

A Christian with a fondness for card games, Berbatov comes across as a contradiction but claims to have a humility ingrained in him during the days in Sofia when he had to join a two-mile queue to buy bread for his family.

'In the team at Tottenham there are guys with different religions, some Muslims who are not allowed to show their private parts so they shower with their underpants on,' he revealed. 'Well, one does shower naked so maybe he is less religious than the others! My surname means 'scatty' or 'disorderly'. I'm trying not to be like that.'

Such was Ferguson's desire to sign Berbatov that United broke virtually every rule in the Premier League transfer handbook as they whisked him to Manchester for talks and a medical before even agreeing a deal with Tottenham.

It was a poor show from a club that made such a fuss over Real Madrid's approaches to Ronaldo. How disappointing, too, that Spurs have chosen not to pursue the matter with the Premier League.

Nevertheless, United and their supporters will not care if Berbatov helps deliver another Premier League title under pressure from rejuvenated Chelsea.

:devil:

ThatOldRedMagic

Reading the above article in which he mentions his flat (from which he famously feeds the squirrels) do we know whether he has found somewhere to live near OT yet?

What normally happens to incoming players who have to relocate; where do they stay until they have got somewhere sorted?

lao

Reading the above article in which he mentions his flat (from which he famously feeds the squirrels) do we know whether he has found somewhere to live near OT yet?

What normally happens to incoming players who have to relocate; where do they stay until they have got somewhere sorted?
At Emil Dantchev's place.

Skholesy

He can sleep on saha's bed. I'm sure the treatment room at OT has plenty of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.