Berbatov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I want a toke of whatever Glaston Sur has been smoking.

On second thoughts ..............

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
Am i in a Dimitar Berbatov thread, or a United vs Arses fan debate thread :confused:

FFS, why are you blokes even entertaining those goons :wenger:
THANK YOU!!

i came in here to see if there was any news on berbatov, instead i see this shit. to be fair though, i did find it slightly amusing! but nevertheless, can we stick to berbatov related topics?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
THANK YOU!!

i came in here to see if there was any news on berbatov, instead i see this shit. to be fair though, i did find it slightly amusing! but nevertheless, can we stick to berbatov related topics?
ok, here's one:

Would Arsenal be able to win a European Cup with Berbatov in their squad?

Discuss....

bcubed

Endeavouring to persevere in observation of all th
20 Million on each player?

VDS/Foster = 4 Million
Neville/Brown = Free
Evra/O'shea/Silvestre = 10 Million
Rio = 28 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evans = Free
Giggs = Free
Scholes = Free
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Nani = 12 Million
Anderson = 12 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million
Rooney = 25 Million
Tevez = Loan
Fletcher = Free

The whole squad averages around 6.75 Million Pounds.

I also was under the impression we actually paid a lot less for Rio. Didn't we do a deal with Leeds to pay the whole lot off in the second installment cos they were fecked, at a big discount?

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09

Ceks

Prefers em hot, and spicy
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but
Out of interest which figures are you disputing? The oly inaccuracy I can see there is that Nani and Anderson CAN cost up to around £17m depending on achievement. That's hardly going to bring that average up much.
Working out averages are obviously going to be low if you include the entire squad. I can imagine how low Arsenal's would be, if we included all the players we have recruited for peanuts. The best way is to select the strongest 11, and then calculate averages from those selected players. Perhaps select two or three fringe players who get regular games.

Which will actually be higher than Sultan's 6.75m or whatever it was. I should know, I did all these calculations last year.

Comparing Arsenal & Utd budgets/expenditure is a fools game.

Don't get me wrong, If I was in your position, I would want Utd to spend. Players like Rio & Rooney have been worth every penny, which gives enough justification to continue in the same vein with players like Berbatov.

And If you hadn't noticed, I have been one of the very few on here for the past 6 months saying that spending the money of Berbatov makes very good sense for Utd!

REd FUn DevIl

It seems it's all frozen.

Wonder if they will try to keep him or what?

Have they played him in their friendlies?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Working out averages are obviously going to be low if you include the entire squad. I can imagine how low Arsenal's would be, if we included all the players we have recruited for peanuts. The best way is to select the strongest 11, and then calculate averages from those selected players. Perhaps select two or three fringe players who get regular games.

Which will actually be higher than Sultan's 6.75m or whatever it was. I should know, I did all these calculations last year.

Comparing Arsenal & Utd budgets/expenditure is a fools game.

Don't get me wrong, If I was in your position, I would want Utd to spend. Players like Rio & Rooney have been worth every penny, which gives enough justification to continue in the same vein with players like Berbatov.

And If you hadn't noticed, I have been one of the very few on here for the past 6 months saying that spending the money of Berbatov makes very good sense for Utd!

European Final Team

VDS = 2 Million
Brown
Rio = 28 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evra = 6 Million

Scholes
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million

Tevez
Rooney = 25 Million

Average 10 Million.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
European Final Team

VDS = 2 Million
Brown
Rio = 28 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evra = 6 Million

Scholes
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million

Tevez
Rooney = 25 Million

Average 10 Million.
To be fair counting Tevez as "free of charge" is not right.

Fergies Formula

Lets stick to berba, ceks has been well and truly dealt with.

I wonder if we will have him in the team by the time the charity shield comes about

Sultan

To be fair counting Tevez as "free of charge" is not right.
Even if we said 20 Million for Tevez, that would average out the first team at less than 12 Million - hardly 20 Million suggested by Ceks.

Mr. Wood

Circle Jerkin' Wannabe
European Final Team

VDS = 2 Million
Brown
Rio = 28 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evra = 6 Million

Scholes
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million

Tevez
Rooney = 25 Million

Average 10 Million.
Transfer fees aren't the only way that players cost us money. Considering how much we pay our players would also be worthwhile, especially seeing as Arsenal are losing players because they refuse to pay them as much as other clubs.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
European Final Team

VDS = 2 Million
Brown
Rio = 28 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evra = 6 Million

Scholes
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million

Tevez
Rooney = 25 Million

Average 10 Million.

VDS = 2 Million
Brown
Rio = 29 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evra = 6 Million

Scholes
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million

Tevez = 5 million (season loan fee)
Rooney = 27 Million

Average ? Million.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
From the saf ladyman interview

HOW are you getting on with the pursuit of your 'mystery' centre-forward?

We have given up on that (laughs).

Oh noes.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Pointless debate, the fact that we managed to spend more on players means that we are a bigger and more profitable club than Arsenal which in no way can be considered as a flaw of a football club.

Marcus

I'm with Marcus, Rooney or Tevez playing beside Berbatov would make them shine even more.
Looks like Sir Alex agrees with us, the Rooney being misused quotes. Where's that tit who disagreed that Rooney can play upfront? :smirk:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You're not more profitable than us.
We surely have been more profitable than you over the last several years, otherwise we wouldn't be free to spend that much more money than you. Advantages of being a big club are that you earn a lot more money and are able to spend it on players who'd suit the size of the club.

Ceks

Prefers em hot, and spicy
“We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but
Yup..maybe you are right but perhaps thats why you still have ZERO European Cups to your name?
Like the saying goes..most of the time..if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
Not the case with Wenger though is it? He has had many a player bought on the cheap. Players that have won him 3 Titles, and 4 FA Cups. A massive achievement considering the amount of money Chelsea had to spend in order to experience some form of success, however plastic it may be.

This may be true, but since the reinvention of Chelsea, it appears this approach would give you best chance of actually WINNING it. Merely challenging isn't acceptable for a club of Man United's magnitude anyway, but I suppose that shows the difference between us and Arsenal: You're content just to have your team compete...
:lol:

This demonstrates how forgetful you United bunch can be. Or perhaps we just have a youngun or glory hunter in CapeTownRed...

You made that 3rd place your own in 03-04 & 04-05. Lets not forget you also finished 3rd in 01-02.

Tevez, Nani, Anderson, Evra, Vidic, Ronaldo etc.....

They are all absolutely first class talents.
Like I said earlier; all from smaller clubs, with a lot less pulling power.

I have never said Arsenal have more pulling power than Utd. However I did say that all of those listed above would have been happy to join Arsenal, had we been in for them.

I agree all are first class talents, but enjoy them whilst there here, because there is always a bigger fish in the sea, as the saying goes.

We bought Hargreaves from Bayern. A big club. Much bigger than Arsenal, that's for sure.
Notice: Hargreaves plays for England. I don't doubt Utd's ability to attract top English players. You are the biggest club in England, after all.

100% true, there is nothing he can come back and say now can he?

when have arsenal ever had any remote pulling power for current best players in the world?
I have never said we have the pulling power to attract the best players in the world. It would be stupid for me to argue other wise. If you track this back to where this all started, you'll see I was simply putting a Utd supporter straight, as he seemed to think Utd's pulling power was increasing, and that it was 'worrying for the rest of you' meaning us among other teams in the PL.

Here you go:

or more to the point, increasing power to United is worrying for the rest of you
We don't actually tend to go after the same players as Utd.

The last time both clubs were after the same player...well we all know what happened there.

Ramsey is at Arsenal, and he will never play for you.

Increasing power to United..?:rolleyes:

Yeah right.
The bigger clubs don't usually like dealing with each other. Hargreaves (canadian :D) from munich was one

Big clubs usually retain their best players, that's why buying from smaller clubs happens...
Not always, and there are no fixed rules. Plenty of players have gone from one big club to another. It is simply easier, and more cost effective to buy from smaller inferior clubs. Everything comes down to money at the end of the day, and whoever has got, or offers the most amount of money usually get their man. See: Real Madrid.

I see. Chelsea must have huge pulling power though. Biggest club in London?. They bought Shev from Milan, Ballack from Bayern and Ashley Cole from Arsenal.
Money talks. Something Chelsea have in abundance. That's about all they've got though.

Porto are a small club? They've won 23 league titles and two European Cups in their history. European Cups and Arsenal... oh wait.
We've signed quality from 'small clubs'... so what? No one said that Arsenal wouldn't have a chance signing those players, but why didn't you? Those players you mentioned (Vidic and Evra were bargains, Tevez' fee is split over three transfer windows) helped us winning two league titles and an European Cup. What do you expect United to do, sign Ronaldinho, Eto'o, Sneijder, Raul and so on? We don't need any of these players, we are European Champions nevertheless. We could probably get Eto'o now, but there must be a reason why none of the 'big' clubs are in for him.
Veron had bags of ability, but he did have problems with the style of play in the Premier League. So you have a point, but we sold him for a good amount of money and Fergie has improved dramatically in the transfer market since then. You can always find bad examples if you look close enough. Shall I mention how much Wenger spent on Reyes?

And he'll help us to win even more trophies (in case the transfer goes through). It's common knowledge we have to pay over the odds as soon as we are interested in a player. But most of the recent fees were justified - see Carrick and wait and watch Nani & Anderson develop.
Reyes actually cost us no more than £11m. Over half of which was re-couped from his transfer to Atletico Madrid. He may not be right for England, but it was hardly the blunder that it is made out to be.

This is the problem of jumping on the bandwagon with out knowing the facts. I am in agreement of spending big, if the club can support the costs. Rio/Carrick/Rooney etc are all justifiable in my opinion. If you knew anything about my opinions; you would know I spent days arguing with devilish over the possible Berbatov transfer, and the fee that ti may incur.

I was the one saying that it would be money well spent! It has taken half of you on here over 6 months to come round to the idea.

Ceks is much more fun than Glaston, can I keep him as a pet?
:rolleyes:

I suppose you think that's funny..

European Final Team

VDS = 2 Million
Brown
Rio = 28 Million
Vidic = 6 Million
Evra = 6 Million

Scholes
Carrick = 18 Million
Hargreaves = 18 Million
Ronaldo = 12 Million

Tevez
Rooney = 25 Million

Average 10 Million.
When I said £20m+ I was being rather general, and I didn't expect to be taken so literal that it was interpreted that I believe Utd spent £20m+ on each position. Your calculations are still wrong, I made a thread in the newbies a year ago, called 'big 4 team costs'. Perhaps you could dig it up for me, as I can't seem to find it.

My point was, you spend £20+ without batting an eyelid. Our most expensive player ever, was Wiltord (£13m).

Pointless debate, the fact that we managed to spend more on players means that we are a bigger and more profitable club than Arsenal which in no way can be considered as a flaw of a football club.
I never said it was a flaw..If you're in a position to do so, then why not? I just hate when Utd supported rubbish Arsenal's achievements.

Sultan

Big 4 Team Costs

Ceks said:
Edwin Van Der Saar - 2m
Patrice Evra - 5.6m
Nem Vidic - £7m
Rio Ferdinand - £30m
Gary Neville - Youth Player
Paul Scholes - Youth player
Michael Carrick £18.6m
Owen Hargreaves - £17m
Cristiano Ronaldo - 12.24m
Wayne Rooney - £30m
Carlos Tevez - £25m +

Manuel Almunia - £500.000
Gael Clichy - £150.000
Kolo Toure - £250.000
William Gallas - £ Ashley cole + 6m
Backary Sagna - £ 6.1m
Eboue - £ 1.5
Francesc Fabregas - Youth player
Mathieu Flamini - £2m
Tomas Rosicky - £8.6m
Robin Van Persie - £3.2m
Emanuel Adebayor - £3.5m

Petr Cech £6m
Juliano Belletti - £5.5
Ricardo Carvalho - £19.65m
John Terry - Youth Player
Ashley Cole - 6m + William Gallas
Shaun Wright Phillips - £21m
Frank Lampard - £11m
Michael Essien £24.4m
Jo Cole - £6m
Didier Drogba - 24m
Andriy Shevchenko - £30m

Jose Manuel Reina - £6m
John Arne Riise - £4m
Jamie Carragher - Youth Player
Daniel Agger - £5.5m
Steve Finnan £3m
Ryan Babel £12.5m
Steven Gerrard - Youth Player
Xabi Alonso £12.5m
Yossi Benayoun - £4.5m
Fernando Torres - £23m
Dirt Kuyt - £9m

Big Four Starting 11 tranfer costs

Arsenal = £18.6m
Manchester Utd = £147.3m
Liverpool = £79.3m
Chelsea = £248.75m

Pretty incredible what Wenger has done, his start 11 probably costs less than Sunderland
That is pretty incredible shopping from Wenger. Respect to the man.

I'd still rather be successful on the pitch, than shareholders benefiting over the odds.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Cant believe carrick costs the same as the whole arsenal first team.
Adebayor and van persie cost a combined 6.5m, crazy.

I fear weve veered off topic slightly.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Didn't we do this last year and when you assign it to pounds/league points or pounds/trophy utd comes out best value, and it is indeed value not cost which is the true measure of thrift...

but back to Berbatov, did we sign him yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.