Bernardo Silva | Bouhafsi - 70m Euros, 5 year contract. Going to City CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I know nothing about this lad, but I can't see United going for a #10 as long as we have Pogba. We need to go for goalscoring wingers and, regardless of his position, this Silva doesn't seem to produce great numbers according to Wikipedia.
He has mainly played wide for Monaco, I wouldn't call him a ten.

Ekeke

He isn't far from Silva at the same age in terms of ability, he had the same style.
If we're making this comparison, Silva was someone who kept the ball extremely well but didnt create a huge amount until he left Valencia. As an example Bernardo Silva made 3 key passes with 77.5% pass accuracy against Spurs tonight, thats more like a Nani performance - high impact and chance creation, but not particularly good at keeping the ball.

Dante

Average bang
He has mainly played wide for Monaco, I wouldn't call him a ten.
I which case he needs to score more goals than he currently does.

We already create a good number of half-chances. The problem is that our front three is either too wasteful or makes things harder for themselves in front of goal.

A Pedro- or even Walcott-type is what we should be looking at. Someone clinical and efficient.

JPRouve

Scout
If we're making this comparison, Silva was someone who kept the ball extremely well but didnt create a huge amount until he left Valencia. As an example Bernardo Silva made 3 key passes with 77.5% pass accuracy against Spurs tonight, thats more like a Nani performance - high impact and chance creation, but not particularly good at keeping the ball.
He is actually very good at keeping the ball but this year Monaco's players take a lot more risks and they create a lot which is quite surprising.

I which case he needs to score more goals than he currently does.

We already create a good number of half-chances. The problem is that our front three is either too wasteful or makes things harder for themselves in front of goal.

A Pedro- or even Walcott-type is what we should be looking at. Someone clinical and efficient.
He plays wide in a 442, in a role similar to Carrasco with Atletico, he isn't going to score a lot more than a dozen of goals per season.

WhoDaGOAT

He's great to watch. A little raw at times though.

Lemar is the next Monaco player I would like to see at United.

JPRouve

Scout
He's great to watch. A little raw at times though.

Lemar is the next Monaco player I would like to see at United.
They both almost joined Atletico, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are in pole position.

WhoDaGOAT

They both almost joined Atletico, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are in pole position.
They already have Carrasco, so they can feck off. :D

Assuming Memphis leave, which will probably happen, I think Lemar would be an ideal replacement. Gelson Martins is interesting too.

JPRouve

Scout
They already have Carrasco, so they can feck off. :D

Assuming Memphis leave, which will probably happen, I think Lemar would be an ideal replacement. Gelson Martins is interesting too.
If it was possible, I would sign both. We need this type of player, they are quick, technical and agile. And they are genuinely able to play wide or inside, it's not just to do a job. Also IIRC both players wanted to join Atletico but Monaco wasn't interested particularly since the offer was 20m+30m, if I'm not mistaken. I could see Monaco accept 80m for both.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Anybody judging him on his stats is daft. He's 22, from what i saw tonight I think he's going to be absolutely class if he gets the right coaching and before you know it he'll be racking up the stats. He played three brilliant through balls tonight that should have been assists.

izec

I am a big fan. He is brilliant to watch, i hoped Mourinho would buy him before the season started, he was the Portuguese player to get and the Portuguese connection gave me hope.

WhoDaGOAT

I wasn't too sure about him. He worked hard and scored a good goal but I didn't see that all round top quality like Bernardo showed.

Mendy had a good game at LWB. Possibly MOTM.
Although there's only about 16 months between them, Bernard is a lot more experienced.

Lemar was excellent at Wembley in the first match. I like his versatility and understanding of different positions.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He always surprises me. I don't watch Monaco often but he at least always shows up and he's really dangerous when he cuts in from the right like that. That Monaco team just looks excellent on the whole.

Ekeke

He is actually very good at keeping the ball but this year Monaco's players take a lot more risks and they create a lot which is quite surprising.

He plays wide in a 442, in a role similar to Carrasco with Atletico, he isn't going to score a lot more than a dozen of goals per season.
Well its not a knock on him and I've only seen him sparingly, but the example I used where he created 3 chances but had a little lower than 80% passing accuracy isn't a bad thing. Its just different to how Silva usually played, and that was relevant given people were comparing them.

I'd almost always choose the player who creates that many chances a game but loses the ball a little bit more taking risks as you said. At Valencia, Silva wasnt that player. At Manchester City he bloomed and vastly improved his chance creation whilst maintaining his extremely high passing percentages.

JPRouve

Scout
Well its not a knock on him and I've only seen him sparingly, but the example I used where he created 3 chances but had a little lower than 80% passing accuracy isn't a bad thing. Its just different to how Silva usually played, and that was relevant given people were comparing them.

I'd almost always choose the player who creates that many chances a game but loses the ball a little bit more taking risks as you said. At Valencia, Silva wasnt that player. At Manchester City he bloomed and vastly improved his chance creation whilst maintaining his extremely high passing percentages.
Yeah, I understand. Jardim transformed both Bernardo Silva and Lemar, they were central players and that's why I can see the comparison with Silva because I have the other version still in my mind but this season he is different more direct, he plays more for his teammates and I'm under the impression that he shots less. But he still able to revert to his old style, he did it against Rennes this season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Monaco played on the counter, they weren't looking to maintain possession but instead Bernardo was the link looking to set the runners away. You've got to factor things like that in when looking at stats. Drop him in the Barca team and he'd probably keep the ball all day long.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was terrific last night. The type of player who takes a team up a level potentially, but I don't see him and Mata here together.

ti vu

Unlike David Silva and Mata, this guy does seem to get tuck in. He has a little Luis Suarez feel. An attacker who is contributing in defending phase or when he loses the ball.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Unlike David Silva and Mata, this guy does seem to get tuck in. He has a little Luis Suarez feel. An attacker who is contributing in defending phase or when he loses the ball.
He didn't used to and that is why Jardim benched him a lot last season. However he seems to have developped that aspect of the game (like Griezmann for Atletico) and is fully trusted by the coach. It just tells you that with smart coaching, any player can be motivated to work hard for the team.

ti vu

He didn't used to and that is why Jardim benched him a lot last season. However he seems to have developped that aspect of the game (like Griezmann for Atletico) and is fully trusted by the coach. It just tells you that with smart coaching, any player can be motivated to work hard for the team.
I meant this guy has it in him. Mata has been working his butt off, but seeing him play his defensive attributes are weak. B. Silva as you said, has improve his work rate and desire, but the defensive attributes are naturally better than Mata.

kouroux

I meant this guy has it in him. Mata has been working his butt off, but seeing him play his defensive attributes are weak. B. Silva as you said, has improve his work rate and desire, but the defensive attributes are naturally better than Mata.
And Thomas Lemar isn't bad either when it comes to the same exact thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mata is pretty good defensively, the only thing he lacks is acceleration. He rarely ever switches off and lets his fullback overlap, his team work is very good.

Silva is a great player and certainly quicker than Mata, he could happily play on the right with Mata as the 10.

Devil may care

He's class and will surely make a move to a bigger club in the summer, don't think we can it him in though.

United Pro

Damn, I think I will never get over the fact of him not having a chance at Benfica... What a waste

He was a class above all else at Benfica B. There are many jaw-dropping gifs, but I'll stick to this one

http://www.abload.de/img/bernardo1lzajk.gif
Benfica still managed to get around £12m for him, saying that. You guys always manage to get decent fees for your players.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If he was to be compared to anyone, I would say Micky. Skillful, energetic, decent pace, but of slight frame.

Aboutreika18

And Thomas Lemar isn't bad either when it comes to the same exact thing.
I don't think Lemar has the same level of technical ability as Silva but he makes up for it with his sheer energy and graft.

I do see a bit of Giggs in Lemar, actually, in terms of playing style. Great acceleration on the ball and has a cracking left foot as well.

Maybe it's time to go back to having a left footed winger on our left flank. :p

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
"Euromendes" as we call it here in Portugal. Mendes mediates great sellings, but in turn we buy super-overpriced players like Raul Jimenez for 22M €

Still, Bernardo was gifted. That's nothing compared to his quality and current value

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
"Euromendes" as we call it here in Portugal. Mendes mediates great sellings, but in turn we buy super-overpriced players like Raul Jimenez for 22M €

Still, Bernardo was gifted. That's nothing compared to his quality and current value
Isn't Jimenez a pretty decent player?

3KDré

Monaco seem to be producing a line of limitless young talented players now. Fabinho, Mbappe, Martial, Silva, Lemar, Carrasco all seem to have bright futures ahead of them and I've probably not even named some of their best talents. Seems to be a mixture of good scouting and good homegrown talents.

bucky

Monaco seem to be producing a line of limitless young talented players now. Fabinho, Mbappe, Martial, Silva, Lemar, Carrasco all seem to have bright futures ahead of them and I've probably not even named some of their best talents. Seems to be a mixture of good scouting and good homegrown talents.
Good scouting most of all, I think. Plus, Jardim seems to be a very good coach, who's able to develop the talented players.

JPRouve

Scout
Good scouting most of all, I think. Plus, Jardim seems to be a very good coach, who's able to develop the talented players.
They also have one of the best academy in France, so young players are more likely to sign for them because they know that even if they are not signed for the academy, they will benefit from the coaches advices and the club support.

dichinero

They also have one of the best academy in France, so young players are more likely to sign for them because they know that even if they are not signed for the academy, they will benefit from the coaches advices and the club support.
Has it always been that way? I wondering whether the oil money that came in beefed up the academy to which they are enjoying the benefits now. What do you think?

JPRouve

Scout
Has it always been that way? I wondering whether the oil money that came in beefed up the academy to which they are enjoying the benefits now. What do you think?
It has always been like that, Thuram, Petit, Henry, Trezeguet are all from that academy. And Monaco has always been a club for young players, the MO was very young players tutored by old "stars".

kouroux

It has always been like that, Thuram, Petit, Henry, Trezeguet are all from that academy. And Monaco has always been a club for young players, the MO was very young players tutored by old "stars".
Yes and their owner's divorce and the decrease of investments made them resort on young players more than ever before.

JPRouve

Scout
Yes and their owner's divorce and the decrease of investments made them resort on young players more than ever before.
That's true and I don't think he invested in the academy, it's the same setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.