Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's a tidy skillful player but honestly I'm glad we didn't sign him. Where would we fit him in with Martial/Sanchez/Lingard?

He's pretty much a Sanchez-lite.

RooneyLegend

He's got some way to go hence I was okay with us not signing him, his game is a still a bit erratic. The best for him would've been to stay at Monaco but that sort of patience doesn't exist in today's football.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I think he's a brilliant player. Just a shame for him that his direct rivals at City have been playing so well.

cyberman

He'll be gone in the summer.
It's not as if he can wait out the 2 young wingers that are only going to get better that's keeping him out.

tomaldinho1

He was always purchased as the long term successor for David Silva and I'm sure he was fully invested in this. His namesake took an equally long time to adapt and look comfortable in the league, despite being older and more experienced.

It's incredibly short sighted to say, after 6 months, that he's wasting his career. He's only 23 and is clearly still adapting his game to a new system and league.

He's got a great chance to cement himself in the starting line up with all the injury issues City currently have and with 4 competitions still to play for, he'll play a massive part in the second half of the season. He's already been involved in 34 games this season (the most of any player) - perhaps not getting the minutes he wants, but Pep is managing him well given the depth City have in their squad.
On the flip side to this, football is becoming such a fast moving game financially that players need to be at the forefront of sponsors minds to maximize earnings during their short careers. Not to make this a question on the stupid amount of money in football but let's assume players need to play in order to position themselves as well as possible for higher earnings, sponsorship, national team selection etc. There's a new wonderkid every other week and if you think through the household names in his position, they all became star players through getting game time + lots of it.

In honesty it's actually probably a good move long term to stay but I get the impression most footballers, or more accurately their agents, are quite short sighted. D Silva is so good and at 32 probably still has a couple of years left as his game is more based on guile & technique than physical attributes which are more prone to rapid decline. If a top club who could probably offer a starting spot (RM, Juve, even Barca potentially) came in for him, he'd be a brave man to stay and trust that a) he gets enough game time and b) City don't buy more world class players in his position (which is v likely given the links we are seeing).

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
His cross for Sterling was outstanding and he's improving all the time.

He's only started 6 league games this season but 4 have been in the last 8 so he's just being introduced slowly, started most cup games and 3 of the 6 CL games, can see him starting plenty of league games over the next 6 weeks now he's getting upto pace with the league.
Don't approach Bernardo's time at City so rationally. Everyone knows that if you're a new summer signing and not starting every game by Christmas, then your career is effectively over.

He's contributed to 9 goals in his last 13 games in all competitions and now Sané's injured it's likely he'll be getting a run in the side over the next month. The kid (which, at 23, he is) has a chance to make a name for himself, and he will.

ti vu

@Sly @SCP what is his status in the Portugal national team? Is he close to be starter like when he was with Monaco? With Guedes form, would he even make WC squad at this rate? There are someone like Gelson Martins who knocking on the door and a squad can't bring too many players in similar position, right?

Donut

Would be a brilliant option for Real in their attack revamp.

MadMike

He'll be gone in the summer.
It's not as if he can wait out the 2 young wingers that are only going to get better that's keeping him out.
He's not an actual winger though (or a wide forward even) in the Sane / Sterling mould. He played as a wide playmaker for Monaco, same as Lemar on the other side, since their two CMs were more like two DMs.

I reckon Pep has him pencilled as David Silva's successor and Silva's 32. So he won't have to wait that long before he starts getting game time ahead of him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How the mighty have fallen. This guy was touted as a must get player last summer.
He is but that's why players should think carefully when they choose a club.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Sly @SCP what is his status in the Portugal national team? Is he close to be starter like when he was with Monaco? With Guedes form, would he even make WC squad at this rate? There are someone like Gelson Martins who knocking on the door and a squad can't bring too many players in similar position, right?
His status is fine. Fernando Santos is loyal to a certain group of players and Bernardo is part of it. Like i said in previous posts, Portugal also doesn't have as many options in attack like Belgium and Spain, so he will definitely get the call up even if he's playing very little at City. Guedes, Bernardo Silva and Gelson will all go to the WC. Bernardo Silva is probably our most important player in our NT in the future post Ronaldo, so his status is pretty secure in our NT. Fernando Santos has called up players in the past, which weren't playing much in their respective clubs. It's all about influence, status and potencial in our NT.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I remember this time last year one of our resident top reds (The Religion I think) basically saying Sane was a gigantic waste of money. Fun times.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's often been underwhelming for Portugal but he was great in the decisive match vs Switzerland so he's definitely a starter now. Gelson hasn't been great recently and Quaresma is better off the bench.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I think he's dead sure to be on the team and probably even to start ahead of Gelson. Guedes is more of a forward, although he's playing on the leftwing in Valencia. For Bernardo's position, there's also João Mário.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Sane's injury should give him a chance to play regularly. He's definitely started to improve his performances recently so I'm excited to see him get some chances.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sane's injury should give him a chance to play regularly. He's definitely started to improve his performances recently so I'm excited to see him get some chances.
£47m player and it takes an injury for him to get a chance at midpoint in the season. I find that incredible.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
£47m player and it takes an injury for him to get a chance at midpoint in the season. I find that incredible.
Such is City's depth in attack. To be fair the players that have started the season just haven't faltered. I think everybody (media etc) will be talking about Bernardo soon enough though, he's too good not to get the recognition.

Lawman

Such is City's depth in attack. To be fair the players that have started the season just haven't faltered. I think everybody (media etc) will be talking about Bernardo soon enough though, he's too good not to get the recognition.
That’s not the point I’m making though Pocco.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He has had chances, he's started games, but clearly he's struggled to adapt to the Premier League and the form of Sane and Sterling was better than anticipated.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
If you count his minutes this seasons it makes up for something about ~16 full games so it's not like he hasn't got his chance. He played more than Mkhitaryan this season and I don't think you'd find too many posters on here who'd claim that he hasn't got his chance this season.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I really would've loved to have seen him at Barcelona, he's brilliant. Very curious to see just how good he can become

Lawman

If you count his minutes this seasons it makes up for something about ~16 full games so it's not like he hasn't got his chance. He played more than Mkhitaryan this season and I don't think you'd find too many posters on here who'd claim that he hasn't got his chance this season.
Yeah and we shipped out Mykytarin.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Yeah and we shipped out Mykytarin.
Bit of a different scenario... My whole point was that some of the late posts including yours made it sound like he has been playing for the reserves this season, or something.

FOR5

Surely he is seen as D.Silva's successor, the lad has it all and he just needs a run of games to start showing his class.
Not gonna lie I would have loved D.Silva at OT, sometimes you have to just respect how good a player is, no matter how much we dislike the opposition

Lawman

Bit of a different scenario... My whole point was that some of the late posts including yours made it sound like he has been playing for the reserves this season, or something.
For a player costing just shy of £50m and being one of the best performers in Europe last season to sign for a club and have 6 premier league starts at this point incredible. That’s what I’m saying he’s a young player massive ceiling can’t get a start yet the media (JR) are reporting Rashford should leave for game time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Surely he is seen as D.Silva's successor, the lad has it all and he just needs a run of games to start showing his class.
Not gonna lie I would have loved D.Silva at OT, sometimes you have to just respect how good a player is, no matter how much we dislike the opposition
Silva and Aguero are probably the only players that I was gutted City signed as they were nailed on to be world class and would have improved our team if we had signed them.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Probably a good point to remind everyone that by this stage of last season, Leroy Sané had started five league games (Everton H, Southampton H, Chelsea H, Arsenal H, Spurs H), scoring only one goal (Arsenal H). Look at him now.

(For balance, Bernardo Silva has started six league games, he has no goals in games he's started but has two assists - Burnley H, Spurs H).

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sorry long time without coming here. Yes since last Confederations Cup he is a starter for our NT, doesn't look to me he is going to loose his place in the first 11 just because he isn't an absolute starter at City.

Regarding Gelson they do play in the same position in the NT but they are completely different, Bernardo was always a so called number 10 in Benfica youth teams who happened to be turned into a false winger by Jardim at Monaco.

While Gelson is more like a old school classical winger who likes to go very much in 1vs1, but imo his manager is pushing him too much in the physical side, I think he should be rested more, and sometimes he runs too much and should pause more.

Beside those 2 we also have now Guedes, our main problem is always the same, strikers and now centerbacks.

But yes, I like Bernardo and would like to see him starting for us next WC, even if I am not that optimistic with our prospects there, but that is another subject. :lol:

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Probably a good point to remind everyone that by this stage of last season, Leroy Sané had started five league games (Everton H, Southampton H, Chelsea H, Arsenal H, Spurs H), scoring only one goal (Arsenal H). Look at him now.

(For balance, Bernardo Silva has started six league games, he has no goals in games he's started but has two assists - Burnley H, Spurs H).
Didn't Sané have two periods of injury, missing about 6 games in the process? His competition for a place in the team was Navas and Nolito. Bernardo's been fit and his route in the team is a bit tougher, with Mahrez seemingly preferred.

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Didn't Sané have two periods of injury, missing about 6 games in the process? His competition for a place in the team was Navas and Nolito. Bernardo's been fit and his route in the team is a bit tougher, with Mahrez seemingly preferred.
Sané was injured when we signed him, I seem to recall. He missed three league games at the start of the season and then a further three league games in January. When fit before January 31st, 2017, he started five of sixteen possible league games. Rounding up, that's one start every three games. Applying that average to the six league games he missed, he would have started two of them. That would put him on seven league starts before January 31st, 2017, one more start than Bernardo Silva currently has at the same stage of this season.

SLBenfica1904

Supports
SLBenfica
Sorry long time without coming here. Yes since last Confederations Cup he is a starter for our NT, doesn't look to me he is going to loose his place in the first 11 just because he isn't an absolute starter at City.

Regarding Gelson they do play in the same position in the NT but they are completely different, Bernardo was always a so called number 10 in Benfica youth teams who happened to be turned into a false winger by Jardim at Monaco.

While Gelson is more like a old school classical winger who likes to go very much in 1vs1, but imo his manager is pushing him too much in the physical side, I think he should be rested more, and sometimes he runs too much and should pause more.

Beside those 2 we also have now Guedes, our main problem is always the same, strikers and now centerbacks.

But yes, I like Bernardo and would like to see him starting for us next WC, even if I am not that optimistic with our prospects there, but that is another subject. :lol:
Do you think Fernando Santos will call Joao Mario? And what is your opinion about it?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Do you think Fernando Santos will call Joao Mario? And what is your opinion about it?
Yes I believe if untill the end of the season he plays regularly for WH he probably will be called, still don't know if he will play as a central midfielder, or more like a false winger, but still curious to see how will we play vs Egypt, I think we will get a closer impression to what type of players he will call, and if we play 4/4/2 or 4/3/3.

If it was based in the last 6 months I wouldn't call him, but as we are speaking about NT, where you don't have so much time to integrate other new players and seeing other options fro central midfielders we have what?

Adrien who will struggle to make the first 11 at Leicester? Moutinho, who I don't even know how he is performing for Monaco? The other options are Bruno Fernandes or Pizzi, but Pizzi of this season imo is playing worse than Bruno Fernandes.

We just have untill now a scheduled friendly vs Egypt, so we will see what happens, keeping in mind this is about Bernardo Silva, and he will be called 99%, the rest regarding how we will perform is another subject for other thread.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Played some lovely football tonight and was unlucky not to score
Intelligent player who will struggle in his first season against really strong internal opposition he has imo, I didn't expected Sterling development this season imo, not to mention Sané who is a beast, doesn't mean he is bad, you need to look at context and where City is now.

Last edited: