Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

prtk0811

So you've got an attack featuring Aguero, De Bruyne and David Silva, but a defence made up of Mangala, Bravo and John Stones, and decide to go out and buy another forward?

Fair play to them for signing a top, top player but he wasn't exactly the missing piece of their title jigsaw. If they don't sign a new back 5 then I'm not worried about them next season at all.
Nah, Pep thinks differently. He wants to defend with the ball posession at all times, Another creative player just gave him the ability to break down defensive deep defenses quicker and get early goals so to force the opposition to come out where he would find more space. He wants to force down his so called Dominant philosophy on EPL teams . He little cares about defending, High proactive press and winthe ball back again is his methods.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Lots of posts saying it's not a necessary signing, especially with our midfield and defence. This man is David Silva's most natural heir and is only 22 years old.

Also we've managed to clear some dead wood, and sign this guy up officially and we're still in May. There is plenty of time to sort out other positions.

devips

This thread was started after he signed for City. Silva thread in transfer section has more than 50 pages.
This thread was started after he signed for City. Silva thread in transfer section has more than 50 pages.
Mbappe seems to be the safer option. This lad is going nowhere soon, if at all. So his thread and our fantasies can last till the deadline date.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Good signing imo. City obviously don't have a 'budget' this year - so he was available and why not.

People saying City need defensive players more are missing the point - they don't have to choose, just buy both!

ROFLUTION

It was two games, one of which didn't really matter.

What do you base this on?
From what I've seen of B. Silva he seems even slicker on the ball in tight areas, and also has great vision. Seems a more gifted dribbler, and is still just 22, so there's a good chance he could step up even further when he gets more experience and nurturing from Pep, who I think is a great fit for him. But let's hope not.

AXVnee7

Lots of posts saying it's not a necessary signing, especially with our midfield and defence. This man is David Silva's most natural heir and is only 22 years old.

Also we've managed to clear some dead wood, and sign this guy up officially and we're still in May. There is plenty of time to sort out other positions.
That's a very silly thing to say until all of Man City's transfer business has concluded. I guess people who are bitter over it are just trying to make themselves feel better, or convince themselves City's transfer approach is wrong. Just because you guys have signed Silva doesn't mean you're not going to strengthen other key areas, it could just be that he happened to be first in line or you wanted his deal sealed first as it could be the most competitive one.

If at the end of it you haven't brought in reinforcements to your defence, CM, and possibly GK positions then you guys should get ripped to shreds. But until then, let's actually see who else City purchase. I mean, the bloody window isn't even open yet!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
From what I've seen of B. Silva he seems even slicker on the ball in tight areas, and also has great vision. Seems a more gifted dribbler, and is still just 22, so there's a good chance he could step up even further when he gets more experience and nurturing from Pep, who I think is a great fit for him. But let's hope not.
You really can't be any slicker in tight areas than D. Silva. D. Silva's football brain is way ahead anything I've seen from B. Silva. In the CL he's looked like a winger like Nani rather than a playmaker. Doesn't look anything like D. Silva to me. Played 48 games out on the wing so he'll be playing in the same position as Sterling. That's who he's brought in to compete with.

Last edited:

ROFLUTION

You really can't be any slicker in tight areas than Silva. Silva's football brain is way ahead anything I've seen from Silva. In the CL he's looked like a winger like Nani rather than a playmaker. Doesn't look anything like Silva to me. Played 48 games out on the wing so he'll be playing in the same position as Sterling. That's who he's brought in to compete with.
You need to put some B's and D's in those sentences mate, so I know which Silva. First read it as Bernardo and totally agreed - then I realized you probably meant David Silva :lol: But yeah I just have a small sample of games watched with Bernardo. He's just insanely slick in tight areas. I guess only time can tell.

cheeky_backheel

You really can't be any slicker in tight areas than Silva. Silva's football brain is way ahead anything I've seen from Silva. In the CL he's looked like a winger like Nani rather than a playmaker. Doesn't look anything like Silva to me. Played 48 games out on the wing so he'll be playing in the same position as Sterling. That's who he's brought in to compete with.
:confused::houllier:

Snow

Sounds like jealousy to me. A bit like in the Perisic where some are saying "City get Sila and we get this guy" like there's some kind of direct comparison between signings.

If this signing ends up ousting Sterling and putting him on the bench then that means that you've got a better player than Sterling. That's a luxury problem for the manager to deal with but it's a "problem" that every manager would like to have.

But to counter your first comment exactly, this isn't an unneccessary signing. It's about competition and Pep wants players that can play across the midfield. When you've got many players competiting for few positions then that should keep them on their toes and work hard or they're out of the team. I would have found it odd if Pep hadn't signed a winger.

Snow

You need to put some B's and D's in those sentences mate, so I know which Silva. First read it as Bernardo and totally agreed - then I realized you probably meant David Silva :lol: But yeah I just have a small sample of games watched with Bernardo. He's just insanely slick in tight areas. I guess only time can tell.
Heh yea, it's all over the place. I'll edit.

I also only have a small sample of B. Silva.

ROFLUTION

I think Pep might utilize Bernardo Silva and Kevin De Bruyne both as playmakers - not so sure he will pin Bernardo on the wing to touch the line as he asked of Henry.

Aguero/Jesus
Sane-Bruyne-Bernardo-Sterling
Fernandinho
crap-defence-crap-defence
- shaky gk -

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Sounds like jealousy to me. A bit like in the Perisic where some are saying "City get Sila and we get this guy" like there's some kind of direct comparison between signings.

If this signing ends up ousting Sterling and putting him on the bench then that means that you've got a better player than Sterling. That's a luxury problem for the manager to deal with but it's a "problem" that every manager would like to have.

But to counter your first comment exactly, this isn't an unneccessary signing. It's about competition and Pep wants players that can play across the midfield. When you've got many players competiting for few positions then that should keep them on their toes and work hard or they're out of the team. I would have found it odd if Pep hadn't signed a winger.
Maybe a bit of jealousy in there but also just rivalry. Anything to put us down you know?

Sane only really came good in the new year so he's not entirely proven yet. Having different, top notch options is great.

Form dips, players get injured or suspended, plus just normal rotation. They'll all play a lot of games in my opinion.

Snow

Maybe a bit of jealousy in there but also just rivalry. Anything to put us down you know?

Sane only really came good in the new year so he's not entirely proven yet. Having different, top notch options is great.

Form dips, players get injured or suspended, plus just normal rotation. They'll all play a lot of games in my opinion.
Yea. Navas played in 36 games, Kelechi in 29 and Nolito in 30. One of them is gone and the other 2 got pegged down in the order. Plenty of games. Also nice to not have to play a new signing every game in the league. The cliché about adapting to the league is a cliché for a reason.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I think Pep might utilize Bernardo Silva and Kevin De Bruyne both as playmakers - not so sure he will pin Bernardo on the wing to touch the line as he asked of Henry.

Aguero/Jesus
Sane-Bruyne-Bernardo-Sterling
Fernandinho
crap-defence-crap-defence
- shaky gk -
You'd drop David Silva? :houllier:

Bwuk

You'd drop David Silva? :houllier:
That's where I'm unsure where he fits. Surely Sterling would be the logical one to bench, but you'd miss his sheer pace imo.

Great player don't get me wrong, but not sure if he's what you needed. Although I expect Pep will spend well over £200m and when you've got a big budget why not get one or two extras too!

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
That's where I'm unsure where he fits. Surely Sterling would be the logical one to bench, but you'd miss his sheer pace imo.

Great player don't get me wrong, but not sure if he's what you needed. Although I expect Pep will spend well over £200m and when you've got a big budget why not get one or two extras too!
He was a complete curve ball for me too if I'm honest, but I just don't see Pep dropping Silva, he epitomises everything Pep stands for in a footballer. I get the pace comment, but if we are looking at fullbacks like Walker and a Mendy, then you've still got that pace, and Sane is rapid.

There is just no other player in that front 5 that I see missing out other than Sterling, which makes even more sense when you consider that he's been dropping him for Jesus already for the last 5 games or so. Jesus or Aguero is a different question, again.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Why do so many foreign signings mention weather? Nolito said the same when he moved from City, I mean, are they that thick that they don't know that it rains in Manchester and generally the UK has terrible weather?

ti vu

Why do so many foreign signings mention weather? Nolito said the same when he moved from City, I mean, are they that thick that they don't know that it rains in Manchester and generally the UK has terrible weather?
Read my above post & you can see the answer. Quite many footballers are quite thick & don't do their homework. This can be yetnanother case. Nani & Ronaldo could play in game vs City with stadium full of fans, but that's derby for you. It's common joke mentioning fullly filled stadium with Man City & this Bernardo guy took Ronaldo & Nani suggestion off the mark without doing his homework.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
The end of that article highlights why it's a struggle for us and other English clubs to get the top tier talent. This perception that it's a horrible place to live is so archaic.
It's still pretty accurate. I've lived in England and compared to Portugal or the south coast of France it's pretty grim.

AshRK

Or maybe his first choice was united but jose never wanted him or put an effort to sign him so he chose the blue side.:smirk:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I can see Silva wanting to leave within a season or two. Just my gut feeling on him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's still pretty accurate. I've lived in England and compared to Portugal or the south coast of France it's pretty grim.
Compared to London it is pretty grim weather wise let alone Spain etc

Robbie Boy

I'm a huge fan of his, I have to say. He was brilliant yesterday and his disallowed goal was petty ridiculous, in all honesty. He's struggling for starts at City and he's the kind of player I could have seen flourish here.

el3mel

I think he's wasting his career to be honest. He'll win the league but he barely starts and has been turned from a talent everyone wants to a bench player at City. He could start for any other top club in England IMO.

charlie9882

I'm a huge fan of his, I have to say. He was brilliant yesterday and his disallowed goal was petty ridiculous, in all honesty. He's struggling for starts at City and he's the kind of player I could have seen flourish here.
I saw a stat earlier saying that he has played 34 games for City this season which is actually the highest of any player. Obviously a lot of these are off the bench, but he's being eased in gradually and he'll have a fair few consistent starts coming up with the injuries to Sane and Jesus. I think this could be a big month for him in terms of showing his quality in England. He's getting better and better in City's system and starting to shine in a similar way as to Sane last year.

tomaldinho1

I think he's wasting his career to be honest. He'll win the league but he barely starts and has been turned from a talent everyone wants to a bench player at City. He could start for any other top club in England IMO.
Yh I think he's good enough for most top clubs (not just in the PL). It will say a lot about his character if he's happy to remain as a bit part player - especially with the WC around the corner.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Presumably the plan is for him to replace his namesake. David Silva is 32 now, so Bernard must feel confident their roles will reverse soon enough.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Presumably the plan is for him to replace his namesake. David Silva is 32 now, so Bernard must feel confident their roles will reverse soon enough.
It can be a long project though as so far he was more like himself when he was being played wherever in the front three, not in midfield. Which is probably understandable given his role at Monaco. Gundogan is more of a 'like for like' replacement for Silva, he's just not *that* good so far, not that it's easy.

charlie9882

Yh I think he's good enough for most top clubs (not just in the PL). It will say a lot about his character if he's happy to remain as a bit part player - especially with the WC around the corner.
He was always purchased as the long term successor for David Silva and I'm sure he was fully invested in this. His namesake took an equally long time to adapt and look comfortable in the league, despite being older and more experienced.

It's incredibly short sighted to say, after 6 months, that he's wasting his career. He's only 23 and is clearly still adapting his game to a new system and league.

He's got a great chance to cement himself in the starting line up with all the injury issues City currently have and with 4 competitions still to play for, he'll play a massive part in the second half of the season. He's already been involved in 34 games this season (the most of any player) - perhaps not getting the minutes he wants, but Pep is managing him well given the depth City have in their squad.

Last edited:

izec

He is a brilliant player. Gutted we didnt sign him last summer, would be great here instead of Mata. Good workrates hand in hand with a great technical ability and he is just so smooth and agile, glides over the pitch.

I think Pep expects more from him and gives him more time to fully adapt to the team and league. He also has that luxury, since the other players are doing so well. I dont think he is wasting his time at all, i expect him to be a starter soon and will be a starter in their team. But David Silva, Sterling and Sane doing extremely well has pushed that a bit back

Thunderhead

Supports
City
His cross for Sterling was outstanding and he's improving all the time.

He's only started 6 league games this season but 4 have been in the last 8 so he's just being introduced slowly, started most cup games and 3 of the 6 CL games, can see him starting plenty of league games over the next 6 weeks now he's getting upto pace with the league.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
If Sane is out for a month with injury, he'll get more game time. Only real concern for him (and Sane for that matter, given the players linked have played primarily on the left) will probably be City's repeated links to attacking players - first Alexis and now Hazard.