Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

gibers

Intelligent player who wil struggle in his first season against really strong internal opposition he has imo, I didn't expected Sterling development this season imo, not to mention Sané who is a beast, doesn't mention he is bad, you need to look at context and where City is now.
Lack of pre season with the team hurt him. Still a bit off pace with some of his decisions with respect to his team. Will be moved to Silva's role eventually.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Lack of pre season with the team hurt him. Still a bit off pace with some of his decisions with respect to his team. Will be moved to Silva's role eventually.
I hear a lot City fans saying he will go to David role, truth of the matter he doesn't play as a central midfielder or number 10 if you want since Benfica youth teams.

He played as a false winger at Monaco, like a number 10 converted to a interior winger, not someone to be playing wide open and expected to be explosive imo, but Guardiola will know how to take the best of him, if Jardim did it no reason to think differently.

Suspect a lot of City fans were expecting some sort of explosive classical winger, he is nothing like that, and don't know if City will play with classical number 10's tbh...

padr81

Supports
Man City
I hear a lot City fans saying he will go to David role, truth of the matter he doesn't play as a central midfielder or number 10 if you want since Benfica youth teams.

He played as a false winger at Monaco, like a number 10 converted to a interior winger, not someone to be playing wide open and expected to be explosive imo, but Guardiola will know how to take the best of him, if Jardim did it no reason to think differently.

Suspect a lot of City fans were expecting some sort of explosive classical winger, he is nothing like that, and don't know if City will play with classical number 10's tbh...
All true, but Pep did push him into midfield tonight when he brought on Diaz and pretty much had him play as David Silva light.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

They should have known what they were getting after he played them off the park last season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
All true, but Pep did push him into midfield tonight when he brought on Diaz and pretty much had him play as David Silva light.
I mean if Guardiola can turn Delph into fullback or Zinchenko why not Bernardo to David role, I am not saying will not happen, I just have sometimes the feeling some City fans thought he was a winger then he had to be explosive like Sane or Sterling, totally different player, lets see if he is intelligent enough to learn the other Silva role ;)
They should have known what they were getting after he played them off the park last season.
Different context, different season and different competition too.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I mean if Guardiola can turn Delph into fullback or Zinchenko why not Bernardo to David role, I am not saying will not happen, I just have sometimes the feeling some City fans thought he was a winger then he had to be explosive like Sane or Sterling, totally different player, lets see if he is intelligent enough to learn the other Silva role ;)

Different context, different season and different competition too.
I quite like him out wide tbh. I think he'll play a lot from the right for the next couple of seasons at least with Walker overlapping. The issue is if Walker is out, Sterling has to play (same reason as Sane having to play every game while Mendy is out) as Danilo like Delph doesn't have the engine to overlap and defend counters. I can also see him play a few games at false 9 (at least off the bench) which Pep has tried already late in a couple of games. He really is a weird one, as he's a gifted and talented player but looks a bit of a square peg in a round role with regards our system. That said he's done better the last couple of times he's on so maybe just needed to get used of the physicality.

Charles Miller

Reading his thread in the Bluemoon i think the majority of their fans see him as Silva replacement, when he had a bad game as winger they tend to say that he is playing out of position.

gibers

A reputable journalist has said that Pe does see him as Silvas replacement. He has similar press resistance but he doesn't have the vision. They also said that because he missed pre season he is a step behind and thatthe city coaching staff were shocked with how he was struggling to adapt to Peps instructions.

I reckon he will eventually move centrally but he will need to improve massively.

Agree on his position at Monaco. He was never really a #10 and tbh, D. Silva started off as a wide #10 as well.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That said he's done better the last couple of times he's on so maybe just needed to get used of the physicality.
Maybe the weakest point he has, regardless of that it is still common to read some City fans saying he cannot play wide because he is not explosive, well, probably he wasn't signed based on those specific qualities.
Reading his thread in the Bluemoon i think the majority of their fans see him as Silva replacement, when he had a bad game as winger they tend to say that he is playing out of position.
I know, simply don't agree with their opinion.
They also said that because he missed pre season he is a step behind and thatthe city coaching staff were shocked with how he was struggling to adapt to Peps instructions.
Lack of pre season might have been a real problem, not sure if Sane or Gundogan were in the Confederations Cup, but next Summer I suspect that problem will be more common to other City players.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Started the last 6 with 1 goal and 3 assists, in last 10 appearances has scored 3 with 4 assists, could be a big player for us in the later stages of CL and the 3 cup comps.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How is B.Silva, D.Silva's successor when he doesn't even get games there when D.Silva doesnt play? It makes no sense.

Gundogan is the one that replaces Silva, not B.Silva.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How is B.Silva, D.Silva's successor when he doesn't even get games there when D.Silva doesnt play? It makes no sense.

Gundogan is the one that replaces Silva, not B.Silva.
At the moment no but in the future who knows ? Bernardo showed many times he could play centrally (mainly for Monaco granted). Players can evolve in their positions and roles

breakout67

Supports
Man City
At the moment no but in the future who knows ? Bernardo showed many times he could play centrally (mainly for Monaco granted). Players can evolve in their positions and roles
That's great, now how is B.Silva going to evolve if he doesn't even get to play in the D.Silva role.

Gundogan is 27, he isn't going anywhere. Sure he is injury prone; but Yaya Toure was getting into City's midfield this season yet Silva gets barely any time there.

Silva can become a midfielder; he has the qualities for it, but needs game time in midfield to get to a good enough level for City...which he isn't getting.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's great, now how is B.Silva going to evolve if he doesn't even get to play in the D.Silva role.

Gundogan is 27, he isn't going anywhere. Sure he is injury prone; but Yaya Toure was getting into City's midfield this season yet Silva gets barely any time there.

Silva can become a midfielder; he has the qualities for it, but needs game time in midfield to get to a good enough level for City...which he isn't getting.
Like I said before, who knows what the future holds. Just keep an open mind.

Blind

Even if he's not being groomed to take over from Silva he's still a high quality attacking option and will get plenty of games regardless. Him and Gundogan have seamlessly moved into the first team in recent weeks without a dip in performance levels.

Don _ Conte

Supports
Chelsea
That's the worrying thing isn't it, even if they don't find where he fits he's still just yet another good attacking player that offers something different. Seems to be contributing recently too.

Varun

Staff
Why is it taken for a fact that he's the successor to the other Silva? Its just a lazy assumption to make.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Why is it taken for a fact that he's the successor to the other Silva? Its just a lazy assumption to make.
It's not lazy at all, it's based on the attributes Bernardo Silva has and the reports that Guardiola/City see him ideally as a central playmaker.

charlie9882

Because it's been reported by multiple reliable sources that he was bought as the long term successor. Sam Lee said the below in an article about Bernardo:

"Although he has played in the front line, City still see Silva as a central playmaker, and coaches want him to be more like David Silva".

It's not some unfounded opinion that all City fans hold and it isn't difficult to see that's where he will be playing in the long term.

Last edited:

gibers

Maybe because he has too much competition in the centre and City literally have no wingers apart from Sterling and Sane.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Don't approach Bernardo's time at City so rationally. Everyone knows that if you're a new summer signing and not starting every game by Christmas, then your career is effectively over.

He's contributed to 9 goals in his last 13 games in all competitions and now Sané's injured it's likely he'll be getting a run in the side over the next month. The kid (which, at 23, he is) has a chance to make a name for himself, and he will.
Since I made this post he's made 8 apps, scoring 3 goals and assisting 1. His total record for the season is now 43 apps (22 starts), 7 goals, 10 assists. With at least 12 games of the season remaining, he's on to make double figures in goals and reach 50 apps.

Not bad for a £43m flop who never gets a game.

James Peril

Since I made this post he's made 8 apps, scoring 3 goals and assisting 1. His total record for the season is now 43 apps (22 starts), 7 goals, 10 assists. With at least 12 games of the season remaining, he's on to make double figures in goals and reach 50 apps.

Not bad for a £43m flop who never gets a game.
Bernardo is a great little player, sublime touch and passing without a doubt. Perhaps not the new David Silva in the way he dictates the pace, but a very good player to make the other players better. He was never a flop at all, he perhaps has that look on his face that makes him easy to pick on - but body language counts for very little when you decide games like yesterday. He is a level or two above Mata for sure.

Hoof the ball

Funnily enough the one thing that's rarely brought up here about him is the one thing he's supremely good at, namely, his dribbling.

He has sublime technique and touch, but also, his ability to beat a man with the right touch at the right time, despite not having the utilisation of exceptional acceleration and pace (that's not to say he isn't generally quick, however, since he is) is impressive.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sterling's injury has helped his recent form, he's (Sterling) got a hell of a job to get in over Silva now

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I actually enjoyed his interview after the match. Comes across as a very intelligent and humble individual, plus his English was surprisingly very good.

red4ever 79

wonderful player. Took a while for him to get a sustained opportunity. Reaping the benefits now. He is what Miki should have been.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Funnily enough the one thing that's rarely brought up here about him is the one thing he's supremely good at, namely, his dribbling.

He has sublime technique and touch, but also, his ability to beat a man with the right touch at the right time, despite not having the utilisation of exceptional acceleration and pace (that's not to say he isn't generally quick, however, since he is) is impressive.
Yeah, and his first touch or awareness how to control the ball in any given circumstance, is a huge bonus too. Also, he's relentlessly chasing the defenders and for a forward, he runs quite a lot. With these attributes, it's really not the end of the world that he probably won't beat any fullbacks due to sheer pace.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Was in a debate with a City fan earlier this season that didn't even consider this guy, a 50m player, a decent squad-option.

Can't get myself to look for it, but I've been reminded of it a fair few times recently.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Was in a debate with a City fan earlier this season that didn't even consider this guy, a 50m player, a decent squad-option.

Can't get myself to look for it, but I've been reminded of it a fair few times recently.
He's always been a decent squad option but until Sané's injury vs. Cardiff that's all he appeared to be. Couldn't beat a man, lacked confidence, wasn't scoring goals or getting much time on the pitch (Pep was easing him in, he was always going to get there eventually). Since then, though, he's really come into his own and become a big player for us. You could trust him in the starting XI now and, though I'd usually defend him with my life, Sterling has a job on his hands at getting his place back.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He is growing the part, clearly suited to Guardiola’s kind of football and adding his mark.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Did he do anything?
Was literally their only link between their attack and defence but was decent and thats about it. Strange match for the post praising him. I'd say he was the best attacking player in a really poor Portugal attack tonight.

Zoo

Easy on the eye but needs to be more effective.