Best front three in history

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Technically, yes. Two wingers, two strikers but somehow I always viewed them as a 3 with Tostao as a slightly in behind forward. I'm probably wrong but its just that he had such fantastic vision and passing and got a lot of assists, to me, its like he was more of a '10' and Pele as the '9'.
Wasn't really the case, the beauty of it was they alternated effortlessly. In many games you would find Tostão was the more 9-like of the two.

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Not saying this was the best in history, but Henry-Bergkamp-Ljungberg-Pires front four was formidable back in the day. Those were the days of the 4-4-2, so not really a front three but worth mentioning.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Rivaldo-Ronaldo-Ronaldinho is probably nostalgia more than anything. Ronaldo just returned from a serious injury in 2002 and despite his 8 (was it?) WC goals he was not the same player. This sort of acceleration was not there anymore:

(Robson's reaction at the end :D)

Rivaldo was at the end of his career and Ronaldinho was only starting to make a name for himself as a youngster. Actually that 2002 Brazil side wasn't even rated at the time if I remember correctly. Didn't Pelé famously predict that they wouldn't even make it through the group stages?

If we're imagining all 3 at their peaks then it's hard to beat but that never happened unfortunately.
I know where you are coming from and said as much earlier: it wasn't the most exciting team or frontline you would have seen.

However, they scored 15 goals over 7 games in that World Cup. Any front trio that manages that will have a hard time not winning a World Cup, it's exceptional form. And no, it wasn't pummelling China, that's when others added their goals here and there. Second round: Rivaldo and Ronaldo. Quarters: Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. Semi: Ronaldo (they struggled with Goofy out suspended). Final: Ronaldo x2.

None of them were at their peak, but that may have actually helped. Peak Goofy wouldn't have been as effective a support act, and Ronaldo and Rivaldo had a habit of taking turns to produce their best form while at their peaks, but never quite set the world alight symultaneously. It was a bit like getting Cristiano and Messi into the same team, sounds great but it wouldn't work very well at all. In 2002 they both (particularly Rivaldo) were at a point in their careers where the team's success mattered more than individual glory.

Last edited:

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Rivaldo-Ronaldo-Ronaldinho is probably nostalgia more than anything. Ronaldo just returned from a serious injury in 2002 and despite his 8 (was it?) WC goals he was not the same player. This sort of acceleration was not there anymore:

(Robson's reaction at the end :D)

Rivaldo was at the end of his career and Ronaldinho was only starting to make a name for himself as a youngster. Actually that 2002 Brazil side wasn't even rated at the time if I remember correctly. Didn't Pelé famously predict that they wouldn't even make it through the group stages?

If we're imagining all 3 at their peaks then it's hard to beat but that never happened unfortunately.
I have to disagree. Rivaldo was at the end of his prime, not his career. He dominated that world cup if you can recall. No player at the end of his career has a performance like that. (Btw, he retired last year :lol:)

Ronaldo wasn't the same as his Barça days, but don't act like in 2002, 2003 and even 2004 he wasn't considered one of the best players in the world, together with Zidane. Ronaldinho was up and coming, and already at a really high level.

That team was complete shambles collectively, they went into the world cup without any formation, trust or practice together. That title was basically just a bunch of really good individual performances, not really any tactical coordination or such, thats why that attacking trio is one of the best in history.

Besides, the trio has 5 Ballon D'Ors

Last edited:

Treble

Messi, Neymar and Suarez are likely to score 110 goals between them till the end of the season. Are there other examples of such productivity at club level? If Suarez played from the start of the season, even 120 goals would have been a realistic target :eek:

On paper, Romario, Stoichkov and Laudrup were probably as good as these three but they did not have the chance to play much together because of the foreigners rule back then.

Annahnomoss

Technically, yes. Two wingers, two strikers but somehow I always viewed them as a 3 with Tostao as a slightly in behind forward. I'm probably wrong but its just that he had such fantastic vision and passing and got a lot of assists, to me, its like he was more of a '10' and Pele as the '9'.
Not really. Pele was the one who dropped deep more often even if they took turns doing so more or less evenly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have to disagree. Rivaldo was at the end of his prime, not his career. He dominated that world cup if you can recall. No player at the end of his career has a performance like that. (Btw, he retired last year :lol:)

Ronaldo wasn't the same as his Barça days, but don't act like in 2002, 2003 and even 2004 he wasn't considered one of the best players in the world, together with Zidane. Ronaldinho was up and coming, and already at a really high level.

That team was complete shambles collectively, they went into the world cup without any formation, trust or practice together. That title was basically just a bunch of really good individual performances, not really any tactical coordination or such, thats why that attacking trio is one of the best in history.

Besides, the trio has 5 Ballon D'Ors
No offence, but that has almost no relevance to the trio itself. It's hardly as if they accumulated those as a trio.

I agree with @Cait Sith it was nowhere near as good a trio as the individual abilities would suggest.

Personally, Id be more inclined in picking a club trio that did it over a decent period of time.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I know where you are coming from and said as much earlier: it wasn't the most exciting team or frontline you would have seen.

However, they scored 15 goals over 7 games in that World Cup. Any front trio that manages that will have a hard time not winning a World Cup, it's exceptional form. And no, it wasn't pummelling China, that's when others added their goals here and there. Second round: Rivaldo and Ronaldo. Quarters: Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. Semi: Ronaldo (they struggled with Goofy out suspended). Final: Ronaldo x2.

None of them were at their peak, but that may have actually helped. Peak Goofy wouldn't have been as effective a support act, and Ronaldo and Rivaldo had a habit of taking turns to produce their best form while at their peaks, but never quite set the world alight symultaneously. It was a bit like getting Cristiano and Messi into the same team, sounds great but it wouldn't work very well at all. In 2002 they both (particularly Rivaldo) were at a point in their careers where the team's success mattered more than individual glory.
That's an important point. It's clear that none of the three were at their absolute peak in 2002 in the context of the course of their careers (Ronaldo 96-98, Rivaldo 97-01, Ronaldinho 03-06). However, they performed exceptionally well both individually and as a collective. They really gelled as a trio. Ronaldo and Rivaldo were both at their peaks at the 1998 World Cup, but the tactics weren't as conducive (or really the inability of the back four to defend crosses) to getting the absolute best out of their two top boys.

finneh

Messi 45
Neymar 28
Suarez 18
= 91

With at least 9 more games to go and Suarez missing the beginning of the season and taking another few months to adapt and get going. Which already makes it more impressive in my opinion, especially without prime Xavi and Iniesta creating in midfield. Problem with Henry-Eto'o-Messi is that Messi was nowhere near as decisive in 2008 as he is now. Eto'o was still Barca's top scorer for example.
To be fair Ronaldo, Benzema & Bale have 88 goals between them so bizarrely enough the 91 isn't stupidly impressive.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
To be fair Ronaldo, Benzema & Bale have 88 goals between them so bizarrely enough the 91 isn't stupidly impressive.
They're both stupidly impressive cases.

Bloody modern football and it's oligopolistic nature.

Trizy

Surely no matter how skilled the players are its all down to goal numbers between them.

How many did Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema score last year and how many has Saurez, Messi and Neymar scored this year?

Also saw a comment above about Henry, Eto'o and Messi scoring 100 goals, is that the record?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
How many did Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema score last year
Ronaldo = 51
Benzema = 24
Bale = 22
Total = 97

How many has Saurez, Messi and Neymar scored this year?
Messi = 45
Neymar = 28
Suarez = 18
Total = 91

Also saw a comment above about Henry, Eto'o and Messi scoring 100 goals, is that the record?
I think so.

08/09
Messi = 38
Eto'o = 36
Henry = 26
Total = 100

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
08/09
Messi = 38
Eto'o = 36
Henry = 26
Total = 100
That was the beauty of 2008/09. The triple goal threat. Before it became a singular one and, only now this season, has branched out into three again.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Suarez, Messi, and Neymar has to be one of the best ever. Especially if they have an entire summer to train together.

Raul Madrid

Surely no matter how skilled the players are its all down to goal numbers between them.
I think so.

08/09
Messi = 38
Eto'o = 36
Henry = 26
Total = 100
In 11/12, Higuain (26), Benzema (32) and Ronaldo (60) scored 118 goals between them in all competitions. I wouldn't say they were the best front 3 ever though.

shabz

Zidane Raul Ronaldo could be in this class.

Van Nistelrooy Beckham Giggs

Henry Bergkamp Pires

Probably not the greatest to do it but were formidable.

Clas Sified

Suarez, Neymar and Messi are all still either in their prime or about to hit it. They can only get better from here and that's scary.

Oneunited26

Messi Henry and eto'o were terrifying in 08/09, I still rank this has messi's best ever season, Because it benefited Henry and eto'o, and messi's form that season was unstoppable. The amount of goals those 3 scored was not just insane, but the understanding between the 3 ripped nearly everyone apart, only Chelsea were able to tactically keep them quiet.

I can't say which was the best ever front 3, but Henry messi and eto'o did everything possible, won the league champions league and countless other trophys, messi would go onto be the best player in the world, while Henry and eto'o had their best seasons in a long time. Everything came together from them, the current frontline of barca, while deadly, is not scratch on the frontline of barca 2008/09. I know it helped having Xavi iniesta and toure in the ranks, but still a frontline that worked has a unit, played has a Unit, and won everything has a unit, combining individual brilliance but working has a fantastic team

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The balance and the way Henry-Eto'o-Messi complemented each other was great. Absolutely ruthless finishing ability too.