Best front three in history

surf

Jimmy Greaves and Cliff Jones. Bobby Smith for the third.

In '62 Greaves was the best striker in the world, and Jones was considered the best left winger around. Smith was a bit of a workhorse but effective enough. For me, Greaves is still the best forward to ever play the game, what he did was outstanding. That spurs team won the double here and the cup winners cup.

Not as glamorous as most mentioned here obviously, but having two of the best forwards in world football in the three is something few others match.
Greaves signed for Spurs at the end of 1961, half a season after they won the double. Alas Smith and Jones were not top class in the way of most of the other names being mentioned in this thread. I used to watch Smith at Brighton and can't quite imagine him being part of the best front 3 in history.

Cait Sith

Crazy numbers. Especially considering that Suarez was banned up until almost November and needed until February to find some sort of form and rythm. There is still 6 (possibly 7) games to go. Watching the games, the 3 can be quite wasteful as well at times.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

Crazy numbers. Especially considering that Suarez was banned up until almost November and needed until February to find some sort of form and rythm. There is still 6 (possibly 7) games to go. Watching the games, the 3 can be quite wasteful as well at times.
I think Neymar is very wasteful at times, he needs to target improving passing and finishing.

thepolice123

Fecking insane numbers. :lol:

Don't know whether has this been posted here but Ronaldo, Benzema and Higuain scored 93 goals in the league during the 11/12 season. That would take some beating. Mourinho wrecked the league in terms of goalscoring that season.

mufcwarm92

Probably a premature question, but I do think, in time, these three will go down as the best front 3 ever.

All three have ludicrous telnet and movement but the creativity of Messi, pace of Neymar and work rate of Suarez just combine perfectly. A joy to watch.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
ESPN has Neymar at 51 goals this season. Plus two tonight makes 53 goals. Theatrics and flamboyant style aside, that's a truly and utterly ridiculous amount for a 23 year old.

He's scored more than Diego Costa and Hazard combined this season. If he remains interested in playing football and doesn't do a Ronaldinho or Adriano, surely he's more likely to win the Ballon d'Or than any other player out there except Ronaldo and Messi?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm sure there have been many fantastic front 3s before my time, but if it's any better than the Messi, Suarez and Neymar combination then fair fecking play.

You just know that this front 3 will dominate football for a good few years too.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
If they do this or similar again next season it will be hard to dispute it

In fact I fear they could be even more dangerous next season

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Gento, Di Stefano, Puskas deserves a mention

Treble

ESPN has Neymar at 51 goals this season. Plus two tonight makes 53 goals. Theatrics and flamboyant style aside, that's a truly and utterly ridiculous amount for a 23 year old.

He's scored more than Diego Costa and Hazard combined this season. If he remains interested in playing football and doesn't do a Ronaldinho or Adriano, surely he's more likely to win the Ballon d'Or than any other player out there except Ronaldo and Messi?
37 for Barca. Don't know how much for Brazil though. Anyway, 37 goals is very impressive, given that only 1 is from a pen.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
37 for Barca. Don't know how much for Brazil though. Anyway, 37 goals is very impressive, given that only 1 is from a pen.
Yes you do, at least if the 51/53 goals is correct ;)

ESPN has included the World Cup though, but even if we're just looking at club level for the 2014/2015 season, I think he still has scored approximately as much Diego Costa and Hazard combined. I knew Neymar was on fire, but had not realised things were really getting out of hand.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Too much is made of this msn, greatest front 3 in history, 116 goals, etc.

It's a front 1 with a top supporting cast. Messi with Kane and Benteke would still be the best front 3 in the world.
Thought it was worth bringing this across from the other thread. Does anyone else agree? I think it's very unfair on other two. Suárez's non-stop running both in attack and defence is essential in creating the time and space Messi takes advantage of and Neymar providing that secondary dribbling threat adds that bit extra on top. Suárez's man-marking job on Alonso was critical today and without him defending from the front the rest of the team crumbled.

Messi-Aguero-Higuaín definitely didn't look like the best front 3 in the world...

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Thought it was worth bringing this across from the other thread. Does anyone else agree? I think it's very unfair on other two. Suárez's non-stop running both in attack and defence is essential in creating the time and space Messi takes advantage of and Neymar providing that secondary dribbling threat adds that bit extra on top. Suárez's man-marking job on Alonso was critical today and without him defending from the front the rest of the team crumbled.

Messi-Aguero-Higuaín definitely didn't look like the best front 3 in the world...
Messi-Pedro-Sanchez lost to Bayern 7-0.

Its just an extremely ignorant post.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Earlier in the thread I said it was ridiculous to label them the best front three in history as they hadn't finished a season together yet, but at this rate...

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

Don't disagree with you, but it's also worth noting that Messi now versus Messi in the World Cup is a completely different thing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Nah it's bollocks really. That's probably the three strongest players in the world in one-on-one situations. It's a ridiculous accumulation of talent even in today's era of superclubs stockpiling the very best.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I'm not usually one to get caught in the moment but I kind of feel that nostalgia of previous trios has done an injustice to these 3.

They are lethal. And what makes it so is that they all bring differemt skill sets to the table yet all can score. Suarez for work rate and creativity too. Messi for creating, scoring, linking, anything really. And Neymar to stretch the game with pace.

Can we sa they're the best ever? No because we've had only a season (and not even that yet). But assuming they will one day be recognised as the best ever is not in any way unreasonable. And now, as you see it progress and flourish, it's coming closer and closer to looking like an inevitability.

Regardless, ranking against previous ones is somewhat fruitless. It's like all those who's the ultimate GOAT debates. Does it really matter? Should just enjoy it and recognise that if its even being considered as one of the best ever, then that's good enough.

Crashoutcassius

messi henry eto'o was better. henry was a better player than suarez and it would take a lot to convince me that neymar is better than that eto'o.

that said, this messi is better than that messi...

saivet

messi henry eto'o was better. henry was a better player than suarez and it would take a lot to convince me that neymar is better than that eto'o.

Not sure on this, think I'd take Suarez of now over the Henry at Barca.

Deleted member 78215

Eto'o played Suarez's position, and Neymar played Henry's. Neymar, right now, is better than the Henry of Barca. Eto'o was better than Suarez, though.

stepic

Suarez is way better than Henry at Barca, and will only get better playing alongside these two. Such a dynamic front 3, better than Madrid and Munichs put together I'd say.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Eto'o played Suarez's position, and Neymar played Henry's. Neymar, right now, is better than the Henry of Barca. Eto'o was better than Suarez, though.
Exactly he has compared the wrong bloody players there. This front three is incredible.. chemistry is absolutely insane and it is a much more direct trio. Considering how average that midfield is compared to the old Barca midfield, it is insane how much they rely on their attacking trio and they come up with the goods every single time.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?

At Arsenal, not by the time he went to Barcelona though I don't think.

Next season these three will be immense. Messi started the season relatively slowly by his standards but is at his peak once again and will remain as the best player in the world by the end of next season I think. It's probably a good thing for Suarez he's not playing the Copa this summer and will get a break, he somehow got himself 'fit' for the World Cup but looked off the pace in his early Barcelona games and didn't get going until around January/February this season. Neymar you'd think will only get better too.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It`s a shame that Robben and Ribery have been missing as these 2 + Lewandowski are not too far behind MSN.

Hard to believe that less than a year ago Suarez played for Liverpool.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
At Arsenal, not by the time he went to Barcelona though I don't think.

Next season these three will be immense. Messi started the season relatively slowly by his standards but is at his peak once again and will remain as the best player in the world by the end of next season I think. It's probably a good thing for Suarez he's not playing the Copa this summer and will get a break, he somehow got himself 'fit' for the World Cup but looked off the pace in his early Barcelona games and didn't get going until around January/February this season. Neymar you'd think will only get better too.
Agree with that (aside from Messi's start to the season...he started bang in form).

ghagua

Messi, Neymar and Suarez. Not seen anything like the 3 of them in tandem. Have been watching football for a long time, so have witnessed other great players, but they don't come close to these trio.