Best front three in history

Crashoutcassius

At Arsenal, not by the time he went to Barcelona though I don't think.

Next season these three will be immense. Messi started the season relatively slowly by his standards but is at his peak once again and will remain as the best player in the world by the end of next season I think. It's probably a good thing for Suarez he's not playing the Copa this summer and will get a break, he somehow got himself 'fit' for the World Cup but looked off the pace in his early Barcelona games and didn't get going until around January/February this season. Neymar you'd think will only get better too.
hmmm yeah fair enough, so I guess not the greatest front three on paper, but maybe the great 'in form' front 3 ever

bleezy

Put Messi in any front 3 and they're immediately 'one of the best ever'.
Would you call Messi, Pedro and Villa one of the best ever? They did well but I don't think anybody will be speaking about them as one of the greatest trios in 30 years time. They will speak of Messi, Suarez and Neymar though. I think the big difference between the Pep front threes and the current side is that people will remember Pep's side as also having that brilliant Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets midfield that helped the attack dominate games. People will remember this side, however, almost entirely for the attacking three.

Jev

Individually speaking, I think it's the best ever assembled. Unlike the other great front trios, all these three are in their prime. If you were to put together a list of the 10 best players in the world right now, you'd probably include all three. To have three of the ten best players in the world not just in the same team, but in the same line, I don't think that's ever happened before. And the way things are going it looks like they could also very well become the best ever in terms of performance.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
Individually speaking, I think it's the best ever assembled. Unlike the other great front trios, all these three are in their prime. If you were to put together a list of the 10 best players in the world right now, you'd probably include all three. To have three of the ten best players in the world not just in the same team, but in the same line, I don't think that's ever happened before. And the way things are going it looks like they could also very well become the best ever in terms of performance.
Fact is, they have really brought the idea of a "best front three ever" into discussion. As far as I know it's never been a "thing" up to now. The simple fact that they are kindling this debate must put them in the "Top 3" of "Top 3's" already.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Their previous incarnation had the same going with their midfield. They are rather good at it aren't they? It's easy to say they have splashed the cash, etc. but many splash the cash on great individual talents but don't get them to work better than the sum of parts.

Barca have given football some of the best examples of BPITW candidates working together beautifully.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The front 3 we had a few years back was fecking brilliant. When we won the league and the Champions League. Would probably be up there you know.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
If messI, ronaldinho, Henry all played in their prime together. That be a sight

Moby

Dick
I love this front three as much as anyone else, can't really put a finger on which one is THE best though.

People seem to have forgotten the Messi-Henry-Eto'o one though, it was simply devastating. It was right before Pep went all in with tiki taka and reduced the directness of the team. Yaya guarding the midfield with Xavi and Iniesta pulling strings and that front three running riot. :drool:

Going further back, Ronaldinho-Eto'o-Giuly was also phenomenal. Barca really have a knack for these devastating tridents. Figo-Rivaldo-Kluivert if you go further back, and then of course the golden Romario-Laudrup-Stoichkov.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
As a trio I'd say Xavi, Iniesta and Messi was still better, but as a front three I've not seen a better one in terms of actual quality. Messi, Villa and Pedro, for example, were devastating for awhile but that's actually because the first mentioned trio was so ridiculously good. Funnily enough, Messi features in both the midfield trio and front trio, in a way.

Jev

Their previous incarnation had the same going with their midfield. They are rather good at it aren't they? It's easy to say they have splashed the cash, etc. but many splash the cash on great individual talents but don't get them to work better than the sum of parts.

Barca have given football some of the best examples of BPITW candidates working together beautifully.
Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta? Don't think I'd put Busquets as one of the ten best players in the world, but yeah, he's not far off.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Was Messi ever in midfield? Thought he started on the right of the front three before moving to the false 9.
When he played as a false 9 he was basically part of the midfield and attack. Though I reckon he meant Busquets anyway.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Hoe often has Man United scored as many goals as 'MSN' got this season? It's ridiculous, and especially with Suarez being suspended for some months. By far the most productive front three ever. If they mamage to win Barcelona prizes too, also no doubt the best.

Moby

Dick
When he played as a false 9 he was basically part of the midfield and attack. Though I reckon he meant Busquets anyway.
Busquets was amazing at his peak and a better compliment to Xaxi and Andres than any other DM but it would be really generous to cite him as top 10 in the world over the course of any particular season, including the one in which he was voted Catalan player of the year.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What makes this front three amazing is the chemistry rather than the names.. there's been better players than Neymar and Suarez at Barca, but the three of them just blend brilliantly.

Ronaldinho Eto'o and Messi were the front three in that legendary el clasico game, now Messi is better than he was then but that was a top quality trio and you can guarantee the first two of that trio would destroy the best defences. We haven't really seen this electric trio against a Chelsea/Inter Milan backs to the wall defence. They have played some very defensively lapse sides to be honest but I still think they'd give anyone problems.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What makes this front three amazing is the chemistry rather than the names.. there's been better players than Neymar and Suarez at Barca, but the three of them just blend brilliantly.

Ronaldinho Eto'o and Messi were the front three in that legendary el clasico game, now Messi is better than he was then but that was a top quality trio and you can guarantee the first two of that trio would destroy the best defences. We haven't really seen this electric trio against a Chelsea/Inter Milan backs to the wall defence. They have played some very defensively lapse sides to be honest but I still think they'd give anyone problems.
Where this current front three excel is that they do it largely on their own. Compared to previous Barcelona sides, they don't have anywhere near the same level of service. Much of the creativity as well as finishing comes from them.

Skorenzy

Hoe often has Man United scored as many goals as 'MSN' got this season? It's ridiculous, and especially with Suarez being suspended for some months. By far the most productive front three ever. If they mamage to win Barcelona prizes too, also no doubt the best.
As a front three indeed, having scored 114 in all comps so far this season, but RM's three main forwards (Cristiano, Benzema, Higuaín) scored 118 goals amongst them in 2011/12, though they weren't really a front three, as Benzema-Higuaín would mostly interchange starts/subs.

That season saw Higuaín in his deadliest scoring form, a goal every 79 minutes in La Liga (Cristiano every 73, Benzema every 108), making them responsible for 89 league goals together. The current Barça trio are at 78 league goals so safe to say they won't match or surpass it with only 2 league games left. To compare: Messi this season a goal every 80 minutes in La Liga, Neymar every 108 and Suárez every 136. Though what sets the Barça trio apart is their number of assists between each other (well, Messi and Suárez anyway).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Where this current front three excel is that they do it largely on their own. Compared to previous Barcelona sides, they don't have anywhere near the same level of service. Much of the creativity as well as finishing comes from them.
Totally agree with this, this is an average midfield by Barca standards and they rely heavily on this trio to create and finish chances.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
As a front three indeed, having scored 114 in all comps so far this season, but RM's three main forwards (Cristiano, Benzema, Higuaín) scored 118 goals amongst them in 2011/12, though they weren't really a front three, as Benzema-Higuaín would mostly interchange starts/subs.

That season saw Higuaín in his deadliest scoring form, a goal every 79 minutes in La Liga (Cristiano every 73, Benzema every 108), making them responsible for 89 league goals together. The current Barça trio are at 78 league goals so safe to say they won't match or surpass it with only 2 league games left. To compare: Messi this season a goal every 80 minutes in La Liga, Neymar every 108 and Suárez every 136. Though what sets the Barça trio apart is their number of assists between each other (well, Messi and Suárez anyway).
I genuinely didnt know that, that's insane btw. 118 goals between 3 players.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Busquets was amazing at his peak and a better compliment to Xaxi and Andres than any other DM but it would be really generous to cite him as top 10 in the world over the course of any particular season, including the one in which he was voted Catalan player of the year.
I agree with that. Think it's fair to say that the Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta trio was one of the best midfield trios of all time though, even if individually Busquets was never top 10 in the world.

surf

All 3 of the current Barca S 'N M trio score so many goals that it is hard to look past them. Ron-Ron-Rivaldo all won the Ballon D'Or and might be contenders if they had played more games together for Brazil.

antohan

...Puskas...Koscis...
......Hidegkuti.......

Does anyone have their goals tally?
That was a front 5 though. Been discussed already, but it seems people are missing the significance.

None of those three had to stretch the defence and provide width, they relied on a further two players doing it and exploited the gaps to score.

This trio are doing both jobs at the same time.

Moby

Dick
None of those three had to stretch the defence and provide width, they relied on a further two players doing it and exploited the gaps to score.
Tbh, the modern day winger-turned-into-fullbacks are not far from that role, specially in formations like 4-3-3. Alves pretty much played like an outside right under Pep when Barca had the ball.

Not to take anything away from this trio, in any case. They're sensational.

antohan

Tbh, the modern day winger-turned-into-fullbacks are not far from that role, specially in formations like 4-3-3. Alves pretty much played like an outside right under Pep when Barca had the ball.

Not to take anything away from this trio, in any case. They're sensational.
Dani Alves under Pep isn't Dani Alves today, let alone a Zoltan Czibor.

What is missing there as well is that such a record also relied upon a very adventurous setup whereby they scored but also conceded for fun while Barca have been uncharacteristically solid at the back compared to other direct Barca sides.