Film Black Panther : Wakanda Forever

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Watched it yesterday on Disney+. Don't get the hate. Thought it was very powerful stuff in places and beautifully done. They kept the usual cohort of irritatingly hammed-up Marvel characters to a minimum and actually tried to develop a decent story.

I thought it was great and is hovering around my Marvel Top 5.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Boring. Cutboard characters. Typical stupid plot. Fight scenes are meh.

MBG was very good in what little screen time he has.

Cant take the antagonist seriously when he's wearing boxer shorts in the age of avengers.

Okoye fighting with spears is laughable in the grand scheme of things. Wakanda is supposed to be having the best technology yet they still use spear, that albeit strong is nothing but a pointy stick that dont break at best.

5/10

Marvel gonna be Marvel. But long gone are people waiting years for the next Marvel movie.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Yeah, had to watch this again because of my daughter. It’s even worse the second time. Just complete tripe. Marvel are really killing the fervour around their films by turning out an entire phase of complete shit. I have little to no interest in the new heroes. The new iron (wo)man was just embarrassingly bad, for example.

Next up we have Quantumania, which is going to introduce Kang, which should be a huge build up moment for a mega-villain that could span 2-3 phases. But I’m at the point with Marvel where I couldn’t care less anymore. Definitely won’t pay to see that in theatres, will be waiting for the Disney+ release.

Anyway, BP2, again, terrible. Just really boring. Way, way too long too.

Suppose it could be worse, could be DC. (Although I love their adult orientated tv shows)

Superden

Watched it last night... All a bit meh.. And the scale seems so small.. More skirmishes than battles... And as someone whose not a marvel nerd and i don't get how theres this potential for a struggle for world domination and there's no sign of any of the other avengers...

Eplel

I think this movie was destined to be disappointing. Nobody wants to watch a Black Panther movie without Black Panther.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
They never really explained how the original BP died did they. I must admit I was fast forwarding through large parts of the movie.

dinostar77

The movie as a whole would have been much better if they concentrated on the following:

1) death and funeral of black panther
2) wakanda in mourning
3) wakanda resources being stretched to breaking point trying to keep vibranium out of the hands of other nation states
4) the power vaccum in wakanda after the queen dies (maybe allude that a unnamed alphabet agency, assasinated her to distablise the country).

I think personally that would have been a better movie. Though Disney may want to steer clear of any plot that hints at white power coming to try to raid and plunder the resources of a african country. Only this time the country has real teeth to fight back.

No need for aquatic blue smurfs and crap battles. Also less of the power rangers suits as well.

MiceOnMeth

Guess nobody cares about beautiful cinematography or the powerful performance by Angela Bassett and only watched to say "Marvel bad"
On rewatch I don't think it's a great marvel movie, very middle of the road. I really enjoyed Namor I hope we get more of him. M'baku was great as usual too. Shuri as the black panther is whatever and judging by the credits scene won't be black panther long term anyway

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I haven't seen it yet. I guess that doesn't stop half the posters in the football forum though.
Yeah i loved the first one - watched this one yesterday and didn't really like it at all, sadly. Just not the same without Boseman, which is probably expected :(

Anyway, give it a go and let me know your thoughts.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I watched the friday night and was bored stupid. A big big mistake to not recast T’Challa.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They never really explained how the original BP died did they. I must admit I was fast forwarding through large parts of the movie.
Felt that was respectful to Chadwick Boseman. They did say it was a long term illness, and he didn't tell Shuri until it was too late for her to save him.

izzydiggler

Was all the bad things that Marvel films are minus the bits that make them fun and enjoyable.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Finally got around to watching this. Awful movie. Awful, predictable story with humdrum characters. Even the costume design was shite - felt like Catwoman fighting alongside a power ranger.

I don't know how this got such high ratings, I'd have this as one of the worst Marvel movies so far.

Norris

I watched this recently as well. Apart from those small moments/tributes to Chadwick, found the rest of the movie really dull.

Sylar

I actually liked it :nervous:
Dont think its as bad as you lot are making out imo.

But fair enough, it is opinions. Think it missed Chadwick a lot though.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I actually liked it :nervous:
Dont think its as bad as you lot are making out imo.

But fair enough, it is opinions. Think it missed Chadwick a lot though.
Tbf bud, i think i am yet to see you dislike anything :lol:

On your last point, i think it's spot on. Boseman was a huge loss - expectedly so. I also found the movie extremely average. Think i found myself distracted at various points.

Sylar

Tbf bud, i think i am yet to see you dislike anything :lol:

On your last point, i think it's spot on. Boseman was a huge loss - expectedly so. I also found the movie extremely average. Think i found myself distracted at various points.
Haha, thats fair :lol: I think watching these in cinema means im more focused on the movie (less distracted by other things, ability to pause etc)
Though I think i disliked WW84 and Black Widow in terms of comic book movies (strangely enough both watched on streaming during pandemic ...)

And DCU overall has been horrible :nervous:

Narrative wise, I understand why they did what they did with Shuri. I do think shes better as a secondary position though and the movie lacked charisma at times.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Haha, thats fair :lol: I think watching these in cinema means im more focused on the movie (less distracted by other things, ability to pause etc)
Though I think i disliked WW84 and Black Widow in terms of comic book movies (strangely enough both watched on streaming during pandemic ...)

And DCU overall has been horrible :nervous:

Narrative wise, I understand why they did what they did with Shuri. I do think shes better as a secondary position though and the movie lacked charisma at times.
Yeah, agreed re Shuri, in fact both of the other leading ladies (minus Angela Bassett) has more screen presence than Shuri, IMO.

And i think you have a point. Watching in the cinema makes a huge difference - and it's something i have not done anywhere near enough of, since the pandemic started and it definitely lends itself to distractions (phone going off whereas in the cinema you'd switch it off/put it away etc.) but still, there's been a lot of movies i've enjoyed streaming and BP2 wasn't one of them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I just finished watching this (it took me a couple of weeks to get through it).

Good points -
1) Really touching tribute to Boseman at the end when Shuri was on the beach - sad to think he's no longer with us and chose to suffer in relative silence. RIP
2) Namor was great - different type of villain, and different type of ending

Bad points -
1) Too long
2) Pretty boring
3) What was the point of Martin Freeman
4) Shuri just seems too skinny to be a believable ass kicking superhero
5) I wasn't a fan of the Riri Williams character - but understand they needed a route to get a new superhero / franchise in and this was easy enough

I'd give it a 5.5/10

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Finally got around to watching this, and found it to be rather average and a bit disappointing. Plot wise, it wasn't great and felt like all the battles could have just been avoided if the pair just talked. Plus it was rather jarring to go straight from lets kill each other, to ok everyone work together. Yet after all the deaths, not a single bit of bad blood between the groups. It was also laughable watching M'Baku? basically fight with a wooden armour and a club , and others with spears, meanwhile they have space ships and people flying around in mech suits. If they have the fancy tech, why would they be sending warriors out in that.

I also felt like they tried to jam to many female wakanda leads into it, and probable should have cut/combined a few as many of them are interchangeable. Shuri I also struggled with as the black panther. Costume just looked way to skinny and the character/actor just lacked the presences to make me want to watch her. Its actually odd, as there are plenty of other female characters that have a much stronger on screen presence in it, and appear much more believable as warriors.

Its really a shame, but with everything they have put out in this phase, nothing feels like a must watch, and I'm now happy to wait ages before eventually sitting down to watch them.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I just finished watching this (it took me a couple of weeks to get through it).

Good points -
1) Really touching tribute to Boseman at the end when Shuri was on the beach - sad to think he's no longer with us and chose to suffer in relative silence. RIP
2) Namor was great - different type of villain, and different type of ending

Bad points -
1) Too long
2) Pretty boring
3) What was the point of Martin Freeman
4) Shuri just seems too skinny to be a believable ass kicking superhero
5) I wasn't a fan of the Riri Williams character - but understand they needed a route to get a new superhero / franchise in and this was easy enough

I'd give it a 5.5/10
:lol:

AaronRedDevil

Shuri to Black Panther is Q to Bond. It just doesn't work. Should have been Kilmonger or even that Michonne woman.

Jev

I really liked it. Thought it was better than the first one. A bit perplexed by the negative vibe in this thread.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I really liked it. Thought it was better than the first one. A bit perplexed by the negative vibe in this thread.
It's all opinions really. For example I thought it was utter wank.

AaronRedDevil

Yeh they really missed a trick with Killmonger. Michael B Jordan is that superstar MCU is missing right now.
They could have easily done it. BP didn't even let Zemo off himself in Civil War. He wouldn't let kilmonger die like that. Especially since he was the one that was rightfully wronged.

Sylar

With the multiverse, I think they could have easily turned another "good" Killmonger into the BP
Not a bad shout. I do wonder what the plan would have been had Boseman not passed. Looked like they wanted him as one of they key guys leading this new set of phases

Parma Dewol

Well that was disappointing. Thought the first one was good, at least by Marvel movie standards, and was hoping for more from the sequel, but man it just dragged. Hardly any redeeming elements at all.