"Blackface" Discussion

Smores

You're telling me it's not like that? You have to know what it's like in his country before you can judge.
Taking the cultural element aside which i don't believe anyone here's argument that they've never come across blacking up before. Even worse if this wasnt a player they liked i doubt they'd be defending him.

Even the simple act of painting your face black you'd think he'd question himself over? How dumb do you have to be to not think it may be inappropriate

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And the interpretation is the same? The only reason people from the US think it's racist is because they are, in fact, racist. It's like with Suarez: the word 'black' in his country doesn't have any racial connotations to it in his country but because the English are racist themselves and use that word racially they think he was being racist. What's happening here is people are applying their cultural standards to Antoine and calling him ignorant. The fecking irony.
You're saying Suarez' use of "black" wasn't racist because racism doesn't exist in Uruguay?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, I just don't think that the way they mock blacks is the same. Do you think he's mocking blacks? Is that the joke? Is he saying: look, black people are stupid! lol!
We literally have the same history when it comes to shows and use of blackface. So stop talking shit.

MrPooni

And it happens every single time we have a discussion like this on here.
Indeed and yet I can't help but be surprised at the lengths some people go to flaunt their ignorance, like being a socially stunted dullard in a time of massive cultural change is a huge achievement or something. Well done guys, you're going to be someone's annoying bigoted uncle or aunt some day – I hope all those awkward silences and eye-rolls you're going to suffer at the dinner table bring you some semblance of peace in your otherwise pitiful lives.
Anyway, bored now. I think i've shown that my position is incontrovertibly correct. Bye, guys. Have fun.
Username checks out.

OverratedOpinion

The majority of notcool's point seemed to make little sense but he definitely knows how to make an exit.

MoneyMay

I'm sure notcool will sleep it off and talk more sense tomorrow.
I mean, all we're asking for is some logic. This is arguably the worst post in the whole thread (and there have been many)...

It's the historical context that rightly offends people. It's not the mere act of dressing up as a black person, it's what the act of doing so has meant in the past.
The historical context of the USA, not France? Gotcha.

OverratedOpinion

Indeed and yet I can't help but be surprised at the lengths some people go to flaunt their ignorance, like being a socially stunted dullard in a time of massive cultural change is a huge achievement or something. Well done guys, you're going to be someone's annoying bigoted uncle or aunt some day – I hope all those awkward silences and eye-rolls you're going to suffer at the dinner table bring you some semblance of peace in your otherwise pitiful lives.
Uncle or Aunt? That is incredibly insensitive.

Halftrack

Could you at least answer my final question to you before you go?
I was in the process of posting a response to someone else making that equivalence, so I'll just tag you in.
Can you tell me what the difference is between what Griezmann has done and what Robert Downey JR did in Tropic Thunder? And why one is racist and the other isn't?
As others pointed out, it's not like Downey Jr. came up with that, the scriptwriter(s) did. Besides, his character is parodying method actors who go to extreme lengths to get in character. He's stuck up his own arse, and you're supposed to find him ridiculous and laughable for turning himself into a black man for a role. Both because it's pretty extreme, and also because it's pretty offensive. Throughout the film, Chino (the actually black guy) keeps calling him out and telling him things he says or does are offensive.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Well he's apologised for it and realised he's made a big mistake, that should be the end of it.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Would people say there is a difference between putting brown paint on your face, to dress up as your (black) hero and just wearing a latex mask of them?

This isn't ment to be a snide comment by the way, I'm just interested in people's opinions on the matter.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I was in the process of posting a response to someone else making that equivalence, so I'll just tag you in.

As others pointed out, it's not like Downey Jr. came up with that, the scriptwriter(s) did. Besides, his character is parodying method actors who go to extreme lengths to get in character. He's stuck up his own arse, and you're supposed to find him ridiculous and laughable for turning himself into a black man for a role. Both because it's pretty extreme, and also because it's pretty offensive. Throughout the film, Chino (the actually black guy) keeps calling him out and telling him things he says or does are offensive.
So this role that Jr (I know Jr didn't come up with it and it would be the writer of course) plays is ok, but a person dressing in a fancy dress costume and not stereotyping (Robert Downey Jr role stereotypes an awful lot) is not ok?

Also what about Dan Aykroyd in trading places? Is that considered racist?

OverratedOpinion

So this role that Jr (I know Jr didn't come up with it and it would be the writer of course) plays is ok, but a person dressing as in a fancy dress costume and not stereotyping (Robert Downey Jr role stereotypes an awful lot) is not ok?
I think context is really important, Downey Jr had over an hour of screen time to establish that the gag was at his expense for how he was behaving.

OverratedOpinion

And how was Griezemann behaving?
I've no idea, from the picture I saw he seemed to be having a good laugh. I don't get invited to many Christmas parties full of multi millionaire professional footballers, I know I think it is a travesty too.

dbs235

The amount of people calling Europeans thick and stupid for not knowing about 19th century American minstrel shows is ridiculous.

Robertd0803

This may not have been his best decision in hindsight. I winced with disbelief when I saw it guessing the inevitable shitstorm it would cause.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The amount of people calling Europeans thick and stupid for not knowing about 19th century American minstrel shows is ridiculous.
These shows weren't limited to America.

Number1

One of my favorite films from the 80’s, Trading Places:-

^^

Was that racist? Doing a quick Google search, barely anything gets mentioned on it.

Unless someone is being blatantly racist, in this case something Griezmann wasn’t (clearly he was just having some fun), I do think people need to relax a little more.

I remember during the Mayweather vs McGregor press tour, McGregor called Mayweather ‘boy’ (a term used in the UK/Ireland often in a banter manner) social media is flooded with ‘racist’.

It’s like you dare not do or say anything in case in offends someone and you’re branded with something you aren’t.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
:lol: @ this post

Yeah, I wonder what's so offensive about it. Nothing to do with the portrayal of black people in minstrel shows, nope. Sit down and think about it.
Think about what? Do I need to personally be outraged? I don't get offended by what other people do. I know why this is a controversy but that doesn't mean most people on this thread should be offended by it.

MrPooni

Errm...
Madrid ends blacking up of characters in post-Christmas tradition
Spain promises to find black person to play Balthazar in three kings cavalcade and the Netherlands drops ‘Black Pete’ from Christmas parties

The Dutch version of Santa Claus and his sidekicks known as Black Pete in Hoorn, north-western Netherlands in 2013.
Anti-racism campaigners in Spain and the Netherlands were celebrating on Thursday after two long-criticised traditions involving white faces being painted black were abolished.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/madrid-ends-blacking-up-post-christmas-tradition

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Didn't Smalling dress up as a "suicide bomber" a few years back? Or was it someone else?

Either way, footballers are stupid, very stupid people.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Would people say there is a difference between putting brown paint on your face, to dress up as your (black) hero and just wearing a latex mask of them?

This isn't ment to be a snide comment by the way, I'm just interested in people's opinions on the matter.
People are not interested in discussing what black face is. They are too preoccupied in being outraged with a white guy painting his face.

Greizmann was stupid. I don't think it's the most sensible thing to get dressed up as a 'generic' black basketball player to be a Harlem Globetrotter (apologies if he dressed up a specific player, haven't seen the back of the jersey). It's borderline indefensible. Had he dressed up as Jordan and actually attempted to match Jordan's skin tone, earring etc, rather than apply what looks like fricking boot polish... maybe I'd throw him a bone. As it is, he's a bit of a twat.

Once a year we have a dress up party and every now and then the theme is 'Come as your mate' night. Everyone's name goes in, everyone draws, you get dressed up as a cartoon version of a friend. We routinely have white/Chinese people applying brown face paint. We have light skinned black guys putting darker face paint on. Black guys have gone white. Many have cross dressed. Nothing is ever malicious or bad intentioned or offensive.

However, these are house parties with every guest participating or +1's understanding the circumstances. We would never expect to be able to go out in public to a bar and have everyone cool with it. Especially in this ridiculous age.

TLDR - Changing your skin tone to dress up as someone of a different ethnicity is in no way, shape or form, racist (though obviously it could be). But it is monumentally stupid to think that it cannot be taken the wrong way.

Antonedwin

80% of french squad are black people , I don't think he has any problem playing with them

Halftrack

So this role that Jr (I know Jr didn't come up with it and it would be the writer of course) plays is ok, but a person dressing in a fancy dress costume and not stereotyping (Robert Downey Jr role stereotypes an awful lot) is not ok?
Yes. Chino constantly calls him out for his offensive stereotypes. Kirk Lazarus, in his pursuit to become the most methodest of actors, has crossed a line and is just being ignorant and offensive. You're not supposed to look at him and go "hah, perfect portrayal of a black person", you're supposed to go "holy shit what a monumental moron". The whole point is that what he's doing is not OK, and he's the only one who doesn't get it.
Also what about Dan Aykroyd in trading places? Is that considered racist?
It's pretty jarring, and I think they could have done without it. I don't think Aykroyd is racist, but that's not exactly one of his highlights. It was also 30 years ago, and a lot has happened since then.
They shouldn't because there isn't a history of white people being discriminated against, by black people using white face. Would they give a shit? In this era of petty whataboutery, most likely.
The whataboutism is what gets to me. You'd think (what I assume are) grown ups would be able to come up with better arguments than "but they did it!", sometimes referring to things that are not even remotely comparable (like, in this case, Tropic Thunder and White Chicks).

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Griezmann tweeted a photo of himself dressed as a black basketball player.

He later deleted the post, along with a second message that read: "Calm down everyone. I'm a fan of the Harlem Globetrotters and this is a tribute."

A third message contained his apology.

It read: "I recognise that it was insensitive on my part. If I have offended some people I apologise."

peridigm

Was a movie back in the 80's where a white guy (C. Thomas Howell) blackfaced to get in an all black college or was it a regular college for a minority scholarship? Ironically enough the name of the move was Soul Man. I don't recall everyone getting all bent out over that. I guess it's okay if it's a movie.

Just IMDB'd it.
To achieve his dream of attending Harvard, a pampered teen poses as a young black man to receive a full scholarship.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It's just so hard to know the rules, these days. One decade it's 'don't black up - it's weird and offensive' the next it's 'seriously, don't black up - it's really weird and offensive'.

How are we meant to know how to behave?

Halftrack

Was a movie back in the 80's where a white guy (C. Thomas Howell) blackfaced to get in an all black college or was it a regular college for a minority scholarship? Ironically enough the name of the move was Soul Man. I don't recall everyone getting all bent out over that. I guess it's okay if it's a movie.

Just IMDB'd it.
To achieve his dream of attending Harvard, a pampered teen poses as a young black man to receive a full scholarship.
Movies from the 80's shouldn't serve as a barometer for what's acceptable (goes for movies in general, really). Or is rape, sexism, racism and rampant homophobia still something we think is hilarious?