"Blackface" Discussion

MoneyMay

This thread is mostly filled with morally outraged white people right? Just making sure what exactly people are getting offended over.

Mac did a pretty good Murtaugh in black face and everyone was fine with it.
:lol: @ this post

Yeah, I wonder what's so offensive about it. Nothing to do with the portrayal of black people in minstrel shows, nope. Sit down and think about it.

space

How are people comparing this to the films White Chicks and Tropic Thunder. How brain dead or small minded are you

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Whether he's mocking them or not is irrelevant (I really doubt any sane person really thinks he's doing it on purpose), it's the connotation.
OK fair enough I get that p.o.v. Just find it rediculous people branding him racist.

arnoldS

It’s not racist. It’s not political correct that’ a huge difference. I find the costume hilarious that said it was 100% clear that a shitstorm will go down on him. Just not the smartest move if you think a second about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

notcool

Supports
a
Depends on what you weren't aware of. If you're unfamiliar with the term itself, fair enough. If you had no idea that, in the past, white actors were used to portray black individuals as black people were seen as too inferior to be used as actors, I'd be honestly surprised.
That's clearly what's happening here. I now realise that I am ignorant for not knowing that is exactly what Antoine was doing.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
How are people comparing this to the films White Chicks and Tropic Thunder. How brain dead or small minded are you
So is Robert Downey Jr dressing as a black man in tropic thunder and stereotyping not considered the same?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It's unfortunate that Griezmann wasn't more careful with his photo-editing, and his make-up - virtually all one can see of his face is his big white grin. I guess he considers this to be 'funny'.

Manny

Grammar Police
You tell us what you think he though when doing it then? Do you think he thought is was weird and went through with it anyway?
I'd have hoped the thought of painting his face wouldn't have even crossed his mind in the first place. I also find it weird that he got through painting his black without having second thoughts.

And I'm English so the European excuse doesn't wash with me.

SuperiorXI

Can you tell me what the difference is between what Griezmann has done and what Robert Downey JR did in Tropic Thunder? And why one is racist and the other isn't?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I'd have hoped the thought of painting his face wouldn't have even crossed his mind in the first place. I also find it weird that he got through painting his black without having second thoughts.

And I'm English so the European excuse doesn't wash with me.
Wut?

King Eric 7

I love how people wade into the thread a couple of hundred or so posts in and ask why it's offensive. Read the whole thread and if you aren't already set in your way of thinking you may learn something.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I've seen people dressed like that at Carnival, Halloween or at random parties here in Portugal. I had no idea it was such a big deal in other parts of the world until now either :nervous:

Noone would have any problem with it here so I imagine it's the same with Griezmann. He should delete it and apologize now but it's obviously just a matter of different cultures rather than him having any kind of malicious intent.

notcool

Supports
a
It's the historical context that rightly offends people. It's not the mere act of dressing up as a black person, it's what the act of doing so has meant in the past.
The historical context of the USA, not France? Gotcha.

The Hacker

It's moronic.

Dressing up, nay, changing the colour of his skin for a laugh is just plain stupid. If he's a fan of the Harlem globe trotters, dress up with with the Afro wig. Absolutely no need to black up.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I've seen people dressed like that at Carnival, Halloween or at random parties here in Portugal. I had no idea it was such a big deal in other parts of the world until now either :nervous:

Noone would have any problem with it here so I imagine it's the same with Griezmann. He should delete it and apologize now but it's obviously just a matter of different cultures rather than him having any kind of malicious intent.
It still happens a lot in the USA during Halloween and has to be explained why it is wrong all over again every year.

OverratedOpinion

So is Robert Downey Jr dressing as a black man in tropic thunder and stereotyping not considered the same?
Well the person who would cop the outrage there would more likely be whoever wrote the script but if you watch the film you will understand that it goes very far to frame him as the idiot for his actions. There is no such context with Griezmann, still doesn't mean he is a racist and will be forgotten soon enough.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The historical context of the USA, not France? Gotcha.
It's not really something that you do here either, it's not as big of a taboo as it is in the US but don't do it.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I wouldn't say so. The character is meant to be ignorant, portraying tired stereotypes and yet somehow getting praise for it. Jackson's character is the reasonable one, the voice of the audience, who regularly points out the stupidity of it all.

Smores

There really can't be this many people on here who don't understand why blackfacing is offensive. Incredible

NinjaFletch

Why is it? The other option is he looks down on/hates the type of person he aspires to be.
Because you can't claim that he is especially immersed in the culture and simultaneously that he would have no idea that this could be considered offensive. That's logically impossible, it's like claiming to be good at maths but not knowing basic arithmetic.

If ignorance is a defence (it isn't) then, surely, you can't simultaneously claim intimate knowledge?

I think more likely Griezmann was aware of it, but arrogant and ignorant enough to think that somehow he could do it and it would not be an issue. A mistake, maybe, but a bigger one than some would allow.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax

While I agree that in many countries a big part of the population actually won't know about blackface or it being offensive I find it very weird that someone like Griezmann wouldn't know about it.
He should know about it, especially if he's as much into american culture as it has been said in this thread. Him uploading it on Twitter not expecting a backlash apparently just doesn't make sense.

Needham

Sign him up. If he's got the cojones to go man to man with the world media like this hes the kind of guy I want at Utd.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
First and foremost I'm a black male.

Is this offensive? Yes. Am I offended? No.

Is griezmann racist, most probably not just ignorant. However what he did has strong racial connotations, that clearly a lot in this thread are ignorant to.

Something can be offensive without a person being offended.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A whole lot of fake outrage in here.

RuudTom83

Different cultures and exposure are to blame here, he obviously never meant to offend anyone but sadly for Antoine he has made a mistake here.

But let’s not destroy the kid, he always seems a decent fun guy to be around and if he knew the offence it would cause I’m 100% sure he wouldn’t do it.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
First and foremost I'm a black male.

Is this offensive? Yes. Am I offended? No.

Is griezmann racist, most probably not just ignorant. However what he did has strong racial connotations, that clearly a lot in this thread are ignorant to.

Something can be offensive without a person being offended.
If you can agree that it is offensive I do not think it really matters if you were personally offended.

Silas

That's clearly what's happening here. I now realise that I am ignorant for not knowing that is exactly what Antoine was doing.
Did you quote the wrong post? If not, the feck are you talking about? The poster I was replying to said he was unaware of blackface. I aimed to clarify whether he was unaware of just the term itself or its history. How is your sarcastic response in any way relevant? Did I, even once, say that was what Griezmann was doing? Why not think before posting next time?