Blaming the manager

RedDevil@84

I think team selection was not so good. But the players take 90% of the blame. They ran around like headless chickens and could not even match Chelsea's pace.
Defense looked like they were all high on weed (except Valencia)

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
I agree we have come problems in the players, the main one being they simply don't care (welcome to modern football). But Jose dropped a giant, smelly bollock yesterday, we fully deserved to get thrashed because his inevitable negative tactics were foresaw and outdone before we even got on the pitch.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I agree we have come problems in the players, the main one being they simply don't care (welcome to modern football). But Jose dropped a giant, smelly bollock yesterday, we fully deserved to get thrashed because his inevitable negative tactics were foresaw and outdone before we even got on the pitch.
You do notice that we were 1-0 down after less then a minute because the English Baresi made a mistake? And you do notice that the English Maldini kept committing brainfarts until we were 2,3,4-0 down? You also notice that our first preference was Pep but he opted for Shitty probably because it was a much easier job?

Sure Mou shouldn't have played Fellaini and I also doubt the wisdom of playing Ibra in every game but you can't really blame the result on Mou.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I do wonder why Jose has not done better and I miss this strong, united we against the world attitude from the team. We fall apast so easily!

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
You do notice that we were 1-0 down after less then a minute because the English Baresi made a mistake? And you do notice that the English Maldini kept committing brainfarts until we were 2,3,4-0 down? You also notice that our first preference was Pep but he opted for Shitty probably because it was a much easier job?

Sure Mou shouldn't have played Fellaini and I also doubt the wisdom of playing Ibra in every game but you can't really blame the result on Mou.
Never said the players were faultless, but we were so deep in our own half most of the time we were literally asking them to attack us. And has Jose not fecked about with shaw he probably would have started, then blind might well have been in the middle and not at lb and we could have seen a few less ridiculous goals.

My preference wouldn't have been pep either tbh, but doesn't really matter who we did/didn't want first. One way or another we chose Jose.

I can't comprehend how them 2 are on the pitch at all right now. Ibra has been useless in front of goal recently, but he was so far back in the first half, when we were trying to get back in the game he was level with herrera on several occasions leaving fellini up front somehow. I can only assume Jose has told them to do this because I didn't see him losing his shit over it. I think we were wanting to do a van gaal and boot the ball to fellaini, but we couldn't even manage that.

rocks13

Absolutely. Why would a manager take any responsibility for a team's performance?

podurban2

Rashford as defensive right wing, no number 10 in a system that relies on one, Zlatan alone up top, Fellaini as #8. No incentive at all. There's plenty to blame the manager for.

rocks13

Oh comeon. You're blaming him because Smalling was an idiot?
Of course not. As I said no one should ever blame a manager for a team's performance. It's like how David Moyes shouldn't be held responsible for Sunderland not winning a match this season. Not his fault at all.

devilish

Never said the players were faultless, but we were so deep in our own half most of the time we were literally asking them to attack us. And has Jose not fecked about with shaw he probably would have started, then blind might well have been in the middle and not at lb and we could have seen a few less ridiculous goals.

My preference wouldn't have been pep either tbh, but doesn't really matter who we did/didn't want first. One way or another we chose Jose.

I can't comprehend how them 2 are on the pitch at all right now. Ibra has been useless in front of goal recently, but he was so far back in the first half, when we were trying to get back in the game he was level with herrera on several occasions leaving fellini up front somehow. I can only assume Jose has told them to do this because I didn't see him losing his shit over it. I think we were wanting to do a van gaal and boot the ball to fellaini, but we couldn't even manage that.
They were far from faultless, they were the ones to blame. Sure Mou could have done better. However not even SAF could win if his CB keeps committing silly mistakes like that. He literally gifted them the game and made sure that we wont be able to get a result. It was simply embarrassing.

I also wonder who was your first preference.

devilish

Of course not. As I said no one should ever blame a manager for a team's performance. It's like how David Moyes shouldn't be held responsible for Sunderland not winning a match this season. Not his fault at all.
Do you think that SAF could win the game if Smalling kept gifting goals to Chelsea?

devilish

Of course not. SAF never won a match that Smalling played in.
SAF did lost games because of brainfarts made by defenders. I can list a number of games including a CL defeat were Rafael costed us the game or Andy Cole's misses who costed us a CL final. Prior to that we had the likes of OShea, Phil Nev (who can forget his Isisesque tackles inside the box, what a player) and Silvestre who were quite renowned for their mistakes.

Also he also got tactics wrong a couple of times too. Our last 2 encounters against Barcelona in the CL final we were only present on the pitch for the combined time of 20 minutes. The rest it was humiliating.

If you want to discuss Mou tactical mistakes during the game, Im all for it. However you need to acknowledge that this squad is simply not good enough and that Smalling costed us the game and no one else.

rocks13

SAF did lost games because of brainfarts made by defenders. I can list a number of games including a CL defeat were Rafael costed us the game or Andy Cole's misses who costed us a CL final. Prior to that we had the likes of OShea, Phil Nev (who can forget his Isisesque tackles inside the box, what a player) and Silvestre who were quite renowned for their mistakes.

Also he also got tactics wrong a couple of times too. Our last 2 encounters against Barcelona in the CL final we were only present on the pitch for the combined time of 20 minutes. The rest it was humiliating.

If you want to discuss Mou tactical mistakes during the game, Im all for it. However you need to acknowledge that this squad is simply not good enough and that Smalling costed us the game and no one else.
It seems like we're arguing when I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you. I don't think we should expect Mourinho to win another game this season given what he has to work with. I for one wouldn't blame him in any way if we don't.

Lurpak99

Buttered up

When will it be good enough though? How much more do we need to spend to get there? Is an extra £500m enough?

Drz

To all exclusively blaming the manager (who I'm not a big fan of), are you all absolutely crazy? We have had three managers of different schools of thought and styles of play and the players have risen to the challenge of none of them. You are letting the players away with murder, even BBC pointing out the team casually strolling around after and swapping shirts.

I remember losing 3-0 or 4-3 away at Newcastle about 2000 or so and it felt like the entire world was falling in. Keane was going absolutely mental, got sent off and the entire country was rejoicing in the "turmoil". Why do you allow the wool to be pulled over your eyes, of course these guys are incredibly talented, of course they're "good enough" on some level. But the majority do not have what it takes to face the situation the club is in right now.

The squad is failing the manager and the fans and receiving no consequence other than us throwing yet another manager under the bus despite all evidence pointing to the players.
I'm sorry. But I disagree. Sure the club is responsible for hiring a manager who failed miserably just a few months back and agreeing to said manager's requests to sign players for their reputation over their value or capacity to help the club.

- The manager is insisting on playing a 30+ year old to lead the line, when we know said striker has : a) been rather poor vs good opposition b) poor versus english opposition c) been poor when it matters d) is clearly the definition of a flat-track bully.

- The manager is totally ignoring two young attacking talents that proved they can do the business in this premier league : Martial (a sub after what he did for us last season is just a shame) and Rashford, who is a nightmare for any centre-back to mark.

- I understand the manager claims to have given the players more freedom, to be able to act on instinct. But it is starting to look like we work on nothing at training. There is no setup when we get in the final third, and generally no game-plan to open-up a sitting defence.

- Sure the players are not perfect, but we don't have a manager that will get them to raise their game. In fact barring Herrera (who is reveling in this chaos theory of a plan), which of our players look better this season than last? Are they learning anything? Are they going to improve under this management?

As we can't fire twenty-some players on the fly, it is up to the manager to come-up with an attacking plan so they atleast don't look clueless the way they did this sunday or are we now doomed to repeat the Liverpool performance everytime we play decent opposition : sit-back and wait for their mistakes.

devilish

It seems like we're arguing when I'm wholeheartedly agreeing with you. I don't think we should expect Mourinho to win another game this season given what he has to work with. I for one wouldn't blame him in any way if we don't.
Look this sarcasm is weary me down. So here is what I think. Smalling costed us the game fullstop. You cant blame the manager if the plan goes tits up after 30 seconds and Smalling keeps committing mistakes again and again. No manager can anticipate that either. Smalling is not Rio but he's better then this.

Also this team can't compete to the title. If you compare it to SAF's great sides (double double, treble winning team or 3 CL), only DDG would have a shot of making it in the first team. Pogba would probably give an ageing Scholes some serious competition. However he would need the experience of Carrick in his prime to do so. We don't have that now.

Sure Mou can do better. He need to acknowledge that Ibra cant play week in week out and he should be able to untangle between the player's true worth and the hype surrounding them (Fellaini, Smalling, Martial, even Ibra etc). However blaming him for yesterday's game is crazy.

itso 7

Strictly speaking very few squads are ever perfect and that's why you have managers to help eliminate those weaknesses. Liverpool have a glaring hole at LB, CB and their midfield is a collection of average Joes but they are blazing through the league because of their manager's input and how they have bought into it as a squad. Same way with City and Chelsea, they have their issues too but their manager's impact is visible. Our manager's game plan was thrown out of the window through a brainfart but that's no excuse for what ensued after or the absence of a plan B. We conceded four goals but how many clear cut chances did we create? Very few because we were set up for a 0-0 hoping for a moment of brilliance or set piece. The lack of a clear attacking plan is clear.

devilish

When will it be good enough though? How much more do we need to spend to get there? Is an extra £500m enough?
I honestly can't answer to that. Shit had now hit fan. The team needs major rebuilding and god knows if players can gel with one another and do well. Its one thing being a good player whose settling in, a stable system, with good quality players who'll help you settle down. Its another being part of chaotic system were most players are shite and you have to stand up and be counted upon from day 1. Ince had Robson to help him settle down, Keane had Ince, Scholes had Keane and Carrick had Scholes. Pogba has erm Fellaini and a 35 year old Carrick whose legs are long gone.

Rebuilding should have been done years ago. We should have assessed possible weaknesses, we should have brought in the players we needed and we should have allowed them time to settle down. Instead we left sentimentality rule over, by keeping players WAAAAAAAYYY past their expiry date and letting top quality players go because we simply didn't had the courage to tell players that their time was up. We just spent 80m+ on a midfielder whom we gave away for free. However we couldn't break Scholes, Giggs and Fletcher heart could we? + it was only a matter of time before it was Ando/Cleverley's year

devilish

Strictly speaking very few squads are ever perfect and that's why you have managers to help eliminate those weaknesses. Liverpool have a glaring hole at LB, CB and their midfield is a collection of average Joes but they are blazing through the league because of their manager's input and how they have bought into it as a squad. Same way with City and Chelsea, they have their issues too but their manager's impact is visible. Our manager's game plan was thrown out of the window through a brainfart but that's no excuse for what ensued after or the absence of a plan B. We conceded four goals but how many clear cut chances did we create? Very few because we were set up for a 0-0 hoping for a moment of brilliance or set piece. The lack of a clear attacking plan is clear.
Its one thing having weaknesses and its another having entire departments which are simply not good enough. The defense is lead by Smalling FFS. We've got a failed winger and a failed CM as full backs, a no 10 as DM and we have to play strikers on the flanks because our wingers can't dribble. We're playing those players not because the manager is crazy but because we have no choice. Schneiderlin, Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Depay, Lingard, Young, Rooney...are simply not good enough. Mkhitaryan is still struggling to find his form

Don't take me wrong. Its crazy that Mou insists on Ibra when its evident that we need pace upfront. Id say give Ibra some rest and play Martial or Rashford there. However blaming the manager because of yesterday's game is stupid. If Rio decided to play for the opposition by constantly gifting them goals then I doubt that SAF would have been able to sort that one out

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I honestly can't answer to that. Shit had now hit fan. The team needs major rebuilding and god knows if players can gel with one another and do well. Its one thing being a good player whose settling in, a stable system, with good quality players who'll help you settle down. Its another being part of chaotic system were most players are shite and you have to stand up and be counted upon from day 1. Ince had Robson to help him settle down, Keane had Ince, Scholes had Keane and Carrick had Scholes. Pogba has erm Fellaini and a 35 year old Carrick whose legs are long gone.

Rebuilding should have been done years ago. We should have assessed possible weaknesses, we should have brought in the players we needed and we should have allowed them time to settle down. Instead we left sentimentality rule over, by keeping players WAAAAAAAYYY past their expiry date and letting top quality players go because we simply didn't had the courage to tell players that their time was up. We just spent 80m+ on a midfielder whom we gave away for free. However we couldn't break Scholes, Giggs and Fletcher heart could we? + it was only a matter of time before it was Ando/Cleverley's year
We won the league with Cleverley in midfield and Evans in defense, both playing more league games in Fergie's last season than Scholes and Vidic. The problem seems to be that, apart from Klopp, there's no managers now who're better than the players they have to their disposal, so unless you have world class players on most positions, you can't do much apparently.

itso 7

Its one thing having weaknesses and its another having entire departments which are simply not good enough. The defense is lead by Smalling FFS. We've got a failed winger and a failed CM as full backs, a no 10 as DM and we have to play strikers on the flanks because our wingers can't dribble. We're playing those players not because the manager is crazy but because we have no choice. Schneiderlin, Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Depay, Lingard, Young, Rooney...they are simply not good enough.

Don't take me wrong. Its crazy that Mou insists on Ibra when its evident that we need pace upfront. Id say give Ibra some rest and play Martial or Rashford there. However blaming the manager because of this is stupid
But we have Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Mkhitaryan who have been frozen out and our best player from last season dropped whilst Mourinho chose to play Blind over Shaw on his own. Valencia is one of the best right backs in the PL atm so its a null point to call him a failed winger and Herrera has played holding mid before in his career. Let me reiterate, its the manager that chose to play Ibrahimovic over Rashford/Martial, its him that chose to play Fellaini over Carrick, him again that chose Lingard over Martial - selections which reduce the team's overall creativity and it's no wonder we have scored one goal in our last three league games.

Treble

Who is to blame for the fact that United are the laziest team in the league?

devilish

We won the league with Cleverley in midfield and Evans in defense, both playing more league games in Fergie's last season than Scholes and Vidic. The problem seems to be that, apart from Klopp, there's no managers now who're better than the players they have to their disposal, so unless you have world class players on most positions, you can't do much apparently.
Yeah at a time when we could also rely on the likes of Carrick, Scholes, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Rooney (who was still useful) and RVP. SAF tactics were simple. He squeezed the last drop of talent out of his oldies by keeping average players around to do the leg work. Guess what happened once the oldies retired/weren't good enough anymore?

devilish

But we have Carrick, Schweinsteiger and Mkhitaryan who have been frozen out and our best player from last season dropped whilst Mourinho chose to play Blind over Shaw on his own. Valencia is one of the best right backs in the PL atm so its a null point to call him a failed winger and Herrera has played holding mid before in his career. Let me reiterate, its the manager that chose to play Ibrahimovic over Rashford/Martial, its him that chose to play Fellaini over Carrick, him again that chose Lingard over Martial - selections which reduce the team's overall creativity and it's no wonder we have scored one goal in our last three league games.
Carrick is not frozen out. He's 35 ffs. He needs to be carefully managed because his legs are gone. Mkhitaryan is still struggling to gain form. I also have ?? about Shaw talent. I guess he had become a great player the Da Silva/Jones way ie by sitting pretty in the treatment room. I fully agree on the Ibra case

I think that Mou could handle Chelsea better. There again I cant blame him for what happened. It always hard to get back in a game when you've got some idiot who keeps gifting goals to the opposition. He also doesn't have plenty of space to manoeuvre either. The squad's quality is dire.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Yeah at a time when we could also rely on the likes of Carrick, Scholes, Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Rooney (who was still useful) and RVP. SAF tactics were simple. He squeezed the last drop of talent out of his oldies by keeping average players around to do the leg work. Guess what happened once the oldies retired/weren't good enough anymore?
Then we've spend £300m on new players to become worse, and that includes Mourinho's signings apart from Bailly. It's incredible isn't it? Talk about lack of value.

devilish

Then we've spend £300m on new players to become worse, and that includes Mourinho's signings apart from Bailly. It's incredible isn't it? Talk about lack of value.
We didn't become worse. Bailly is rock solid, Pogba has more talent then all our CM put together and we've yet to see Mkhitaryan in action. Its just that we've got a loss of dross and it will need time to sort years of mistakes.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
We didn't become worse. Bailly is rock solid, Pogba has more talent then all our CM put together and we've yet to see Mkhitaryan in action. Its just that we've got a loss of dross and it will need time to sort years of mistakes.
We certainly isn't better either and for all the talent Pogba has, he's shown very little so far.

devilish

We certainly isn't better either and for all the talent Pogba has, he's shown very little so far.
Its going to get worse before it gets better. It happened already when SAF started with us

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
All of Mourinho's signings get a pass because they're still settling in. What's really screwing us is that we have players who have been here years and still look half-cooked as well as obvious deficiencies in our squad from top class players that left and were never adequately replaced.

if, at the end of this season, Pogba, Ibra and Mikhi have continued to be peripheral as they've been in the opening dozen matches then - and only then - can we add Mourinho to the list of United managers who've pissed hundreds of millions up against the wall since Fergie retired.

devilish

This is just not the 80's, a manager needs to work things out quicker now.
Its still football though. You can surely win with kids but you cant win with a team of donkeys

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Im not exclusively blaming the manager, their was a lot of bad performances yesterday, but when you have a manager who is making terrible tactical decisions week in week out, then you have to lay a lot of the blame on the managers door!

acrebo

I've always taken the view that the buck stops with the manager. If the players on the pitch have bottled it then that's down to off-field preparation, whether it be tactical, physical or psychological.

However, it's way too early to panic and start throwing around blame. Mourinho's pride will have taken a hell of a beating yesterday so it'll be interesting to see if that is what's needed to spark a bit of passion in him and give the players a kick.

Quite an intriguing dilemma with this week's fixtures. Does he go full-ish strength for the EFL Cup in order to get confidence back, or accept it's not the priority and risk another defeat with a weaker side in exchange for a big performance on the weekend?

Jerch

My opinion is that we have a really good squad but something is seriously wrong with their attitude when they get a transfer to United. In the last three seasons we had in my opinion the best transfer windows of all the clubs across the Europe but when players get that transfer they act like they made it instead of wanting to prove that they are worth the money we payed for them and money the are getting.

In last three seasons we bought or take on loan Di Maria, Falcao, Shaw, Herrera, Rojo, Bllind, Schweinsteiger, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Martial, Depay, Romero, Pogba, Micki, Ibrahimovic and Bailly. Problem is most of them were regarded as a much better players before the transfer and they are worse and worse after it. Players like Rojo, Depay, Schneiderlin and Darmian were regarded as a great players which played for their countries almost every match. Now all of them are bench warmers for their country at best or they did fall out of their national teams like Schneiderlin did. Even players like Martial and Shaw which were young talents who should be better with every season are infact not progressing like they should. You could say for example that Martial was better player when he got here then he is now after a year with us. How is that possible.

And this is a big problem, under SAF most players we bought got better and better after the transfer to United. Players like Evra, Vidic, Carrick and Valencia went on to another level after they got their transfers. Then you have talents like Rooney and C.Ronaldo which went from a young talent to the level when they were regarded as one of the best players in the world.

And in my opinion this is a probllem where our managers are at fault. With better training facilities, better coaches and all that players should become better and not worse. We really need to find a solution to this problem, why this is happening. Pundits often say that PL is another beast and that it looks like they are not as good as the look in worse leagues but I don't agree. For example Schneiderlin played in PL before the transfer and he was one of the best box to box midfielders, our fans were shitting in their pants when there were rumors that he will move to Arsenal. On the other hand players like Depay delivered against much better teams like in the game he played for Holland against Spain. And don't forget he was a star player in the team which beat us in the group stages of CL in a same season when he got his transfer to us.

And because of this thing I think buying new stars every season is not the solution. We should focus on working with players we have because they proved in the past they are good enough. And if manager fails to deliver to achive what we want with players we have then it is his fault and not players fault.

Manny

Grammar Police
If we keep buying players with the personalities of Schneiderlin, Fellaini, Darmian and Memphis, another £800m won't be enough.