Blatter. England are bad losers

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
English dominance is bad for the game, but having 3 Barca players in the running for the WPOTY award is fine.

Twatini and Twatter, can't stand them.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Well this sounds corrupt to me. Snubbing a bid not for any technical criteria, but for a personal greivance.
Exactly right, and why not tell such nations as ours [and Australia, the US, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, South Korea, Japan] that there was no point participating or putting together a bid package in the first place, for an ideological stance had been taken? It wasted money, time and generally misled people.

And that man surely can't utter words like "fair ideals" whislt keeping a straight face.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Sure the FA would've said FIFA's executive cheated Russia if Spain-Portugal won, they way they said it cheated Spain-Portugal when Russia won.

Ultimately it's sour grapes but the point remains that FIFA's executive cheated everyone., it's not Russia's fault or Qatar's!
Sour grapes is just a convenient excuse for some to use that's all.

FIFA is the issue here, not the bids or the bidders. FIFA have been the issue for a long, long, time. It's nothing new. Just seems to be new to some followers of football, although I've no idea why.

The White Pele

We have a tendancy to be bad losers on occasions like this, but that is in our nature. It is our reaction when something we are so passionate about fails to materialise, especially when there is a feeling, as there is in this case, that we weren't treated fairly. 1 vote outside our own is not a true reflection on the quality of our bid.

It is easy for Blatter to just dismiss our criticism as us being bad losers, same old England yada yada, when what he should really be doing is asking himself, as FIFA president, why the delegates who were entrusted with such a massive decision failed to act professionally and judge each bid on its merits, rather than carrying out some kind of punishment on England because of our media. Should he really be throwing stones when his peers in his glass house have displayed such a lack of integrity?

It is telling that it is not only our country who feel a sense of injustice over the bidding process. But you're right Sepp it's just us being bad losers isn't it? Like I say, it's alot easier for him to just dismiss the inquest rather than accepting the need for change.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
Seems like he is just trying to rub salt in the wound with comments like this. He has all the power and he and knows it.

Untied

I can't stand Blatter and Fifa are clearly quite corrupt.

But lets be honest, Burden and Anson were probably doing as much ass-licking as they could stand and then come out blaming Fifa when it fails. Bad losers. If they couldn't stand the corruption, you know, don't have a go at the media for outing it before hand? Hypocrites.

Berlinknives

Exactly right, and why not tell such nations as ours [and Australia, the US, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, South Korea, Japan] that there was no point participating or putting together a bid package in the first place, for an ideological stance had been taken? It wasted money, time and generally misled people.

And that man surely can't utter words like "fair ideals" whislt keeping a straight face.

I very much doubt
Well six or seven World Cup hosting contests including Brazil's 2014 bid have been decided by default as there were no runners, it's the competing countries prerogative to pull out.

WireRed

English dominance is bad for the game, but having 3 Barca players in the running for the WPOTY award is fine.

Blatter is a gobshite, no arguments on that score...Platini though, is misunderstood IMO. He has the game's best interests at heart and isn't despite popular perception, anti-English IMO. The PL just happens to have all the bugbears he has about the game and which I share with him(debt ridden club's, leveraged buy-outs, poaching of foreign youths, paucity of local/national qualified player's etc, etc).

Platini has football's interests at heart unlike Blatter who has his own wallet's thickness at heart. That's the difference.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Blatter is a gobshite, no arguments on that score...Platini though, is misunderstood IMO. He has the game's best interests at heart and isn't despite popular perception, anti-English IMO. The PL just happens to have all the bugbears he has about the game and which I share with him(debt ridden club's, leveraged buy-outs, poaching of foreign youths, paucity of local/national qualified player's etc, etc).

Platini has football's interests at heart unlike Blatter who has his own wallet's thickness at heart. That's the difference.
If Platini really does have the interests of the game at heart, he has to put pressure on FIFA to clean up their act. And he can if he wanted to. Without UEFA, FIFA are nothing.

Its still early days. This thing has yet to unravel.

WireRed

If Platini really does have the interests of the game at heart, he has to put pressure on FIFA to clean up their act. And he can if he wanted to. Without UEFA, FIFA are nothing.

Its still early days. This thing has yet to unravel.
I don't think he has the power to really. It'd kind of be like the school prefect questioning the wisdom(or lack of)of the headmaster. He and UEFA are under the thumb of Blatter and his little crew.

What Platini and UEFA can control, he's tried to promote a fairer, well-run game with the FFP regs and criticism of debt/foreign investment, he's also trying to stop this ridiculous exploitation of national legislation regarding movement of young, non-professional footballer's(too young to sign pro forms in some European countries).

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If the US are complaining then yes they are. They had it in 94 ffs, they had a cheek to even bid for it
The US will probably get the World Cup in 2026. That is unless FIFA decide to bend the rules for China as in theory neither UEFA or AFC can host the World Cup in 2026.

If FIFA stick by the rules then the US would be favourites.

Don't Kill Bill

The US will probably get the World Cup in 2026. That is unless FIFA decide to bend the rules for China as in theory neither UEFA or AFC can host the World Cup in 2026.

If FIFA stick by the rules then the US would be favourites.
The only rule that counts is how much you will bribe them to stage it in the US.

It's sad that football enthusiasts will defend this wanton personal corruption because a, (pick which ever nation) country they don't like gets sidelined.

AlwaysRedwood

Blatter is correct about the English being bad losers.

But in this case FIFA is corrupt, so Blatter should keep his fecking mouth shut. Now he's just trolling.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The PL just happens to have all the bugbears he has about the game and which I share with him(debt ridden club's, leveraged buy-outs, poaching of foreign youths, paucity of local/national qualified player's etc, etc)
I'd agree with this but for his love of all things spanish.

Despite the fact that every club in La Liga is heavily in debt, the poaching of foreign youths is only made accectable by their immigration laws (imagine the uproar if we'd taken Messi away from Argentina at 13 years of age?) and their naturalisation is alot more relaxed than other countries.

They're also in a great period right now, much like France were in the late nineties, early naughties.

Fifa is corrupt, Im just immune to it now. I'd love to think that there could be some sort of revolution where countries could split from FIFA and a fair system could be introduced but I'm realistic, not idealistic. I'll just look forward to saying "I told you so" when Russia are blasted for their poor transportation and accomodation and Quatar have just about every problem possible.

At that time Blatter will be either dribbling in his expensive retirement home or, hopefully, dead and the disaster World Cups will be investigated or at worse questioned "why were they allowed to happen" and the truth will come out.

At this moment in time all England can do is put forward a team that can win it. That would really get under their skin.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not a fan of Blatter myself, but he's dead right on the bad loser part.

Besides, if England want it so bad... than play it Blatter way, get bigger envelope going.... Make him an offer he can't refuse

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
I'll just look forward to saying "I told you so" when Russia are blasted for their poor transportation and accomodation and Quatar have just about every problem possible.
I thought South Africa would throw up a whole heap of problems, not least because my mate's wife was murdered there, but that seemed to pass by smoothly enough.

fatboy

"You can't come afterwards and say so-and-so promised to vote for England. The results are known. The outcome came out clearly."
Translated, it means "Just because we promised we'd vote for England (obviously in return for some favours) doesn't mean that we'd really do that"

FIFA has always been corrupt, nothing new there.

davisjw

Agree - we lost and look a right absurd bunch for the way we're tossing our toys around. "Let's take away their free hotel rooms for the Olympics!" "But they said they'd vote for us!"

At least we're smart enough to shoot ourselves in the foot and ensure we've pissed off everyone in world football so there's no point in bidding for another WC for at least 50 years...

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Is it abit like us just coming out with it and telling the UN they are just a charade too as we going to invade whichever country we like, kill millions and plunder their nations, whatever they say and however illegal it may be?

Puts some of the UK/USA/Australia's own treachery into perspective, no?

Neutral

BTV
Is it abit like us just coming out with it and telling the UN they are just a charade too as we going to invade whichever country we like, kill millions and plunder their nations, whatever they say and however illegal it may be?

Puts some the the UK/USA/Australia's own treachery into perspective, no?
Tbf, we just wanted to be noticed. Johnny Howard thought we needed to be known for something other than Crocodile Dundee, it wasn't really treachery, it was more about him rimming GWB.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If the FA had its way, the 200+ members ... we'd only see a Eurovision-esque farce anyway ...

Name 100 nations who'd vote for England even transfer their vote to them ... you have some of the Commonwealth, the USA and perhaps the Republic of Ireland, ... 60 votes max ... enough to top the first poll, but you'd need 100 nations in the runoffs to win.

You could obviously see that the CIS and Eastern Europe and perhaps the Oriental countries who would fall behind Russia's bid, the Hispanphone and Portuguese speaking countries would back Spain-Portugal, the Francophone countries and the Dutch speaking countries would back the Netherlands-Belgian bid as would many of the Mediterranean regions. Most of what remains of Central and Northern Europe would be very split between these three, and would simply mirror the "Anyone but England" the FIFA executive had.

Which leaves around 40 nations from the Middle East, North Africa or South East Asia picking the winner ... any Anglophiles here?
Hong Kong will definitely vote for England.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

English club tend to buy success unlike the Spanish clubs like Real :wenger:

Transfer United Till I Die

I am totally in the know, honest
I agree 100% with Sepp for just about the 1st time ever. The reaction on here was hilarious. Just because youse didnt get the finals most of you assumed something corrupt has taken place.....spastics
I've not really noticed you before but in the last couple of days you've exposed yourself as a pollock extraordinaire.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
England overreacted and they clearly have no devine right to win and host whenever they apply. Especially when there were other good hosts.

However, I can understand that not getting much points at all and losing out to Russia, who was the worst of all the possible host, thats hard to take.

I personally dont have a problem with giving upcoming countries such as South Africa or Qatar a chance. But no doubt is the FIFA a fecked up institution and I hate that they are linked with Zurich that puts the city in a bad light

Untied

Our bid team have been pretty embarrassing, coming out after we have lost, saying how awful and corrupt Fifa are, only once their own attempts at bribes, corruption and rimming have failed.

They were happy to partake in and spread the corruption if it lead to a World Cup in England.

If he is having a go at the English public, that is out of order. But our bid team and the FA deserve it.

Red Defence

Our bid team have been pretty embarrassing, coming out after we have lost, saying how awful and corrupt Fifa are, only once their own attempts at bribes, corruption and rimming have failed.

They were happy to partake in and spread the corruption if it lead to a World Cup in England.

If he is having a go at the English public, that is out of order. But our bid team and the FA deserve it.
No-one has accused the FA of corruption except you.

The hard fact is that Blatter has been afraid of Panorama's investigative reporter Andrew Jennings for a long time and is more than acutely aware of his persistent campaigning. Jack Warner too.

World Cup 2018 and 2022 voting farce shows why Fifa must become more democratic and transparent - Goal.com
As for coming out with it after we had lost......well that's just you misinformed a bit.

This problem with FIFA has been going on for years now....how come you've not seen it. :confused:

The English press have been monitoring Blatter and Co for a long while but up until now no-one has been able to do anything about them.

Biscuit1871

To be fair the FA, FIFA and pretty much everyone at the top of football are corrupt arseholes. The ex-players appear to be massively thick and only interested in making money and the ones who have never played haven't a clue what footballz is let alone have any interest in running it properly.

Red Defence

To be fair the FA, FIFA and pretty much everyone at the top of football are corrupt arseholes. The ex-players appear to be massively thick and only interested in making money and the ones who have never played haven't a clue what footballz is let alone have any interest in running it properly.
Hardly classed as "fair" really is it. :nono: