Blatter. England are bad losers

phelans shorts

I'd agree with this but for his love of all things spanish.

Despite the fact that every club in La Liga is heavily in debt, the poaching of foreign youths is only made accectable by their immigration laws (imagine the uproar if we'd taken Messi away from Argentina at 13 years of age?) and their naturalisation is alot more relaxed than other countries.
We have done it more extreme with that Aussie kid, Rian Davies or whatever he was called, and Barcelona were begged to take Messi by the clubs, none of which wanted to see such a player lost because they couldn't afford his treatment.

At this moment in time all England can do is put forward a team that can win it. That would really get under their skin.
And we need to completely change our dressier to even be competitive, before FIFA is overhauled let's do the same to the FA, who really need it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I would bet my last ££ in my pocket that had England been awarded the 2018 tournament, no English man would be complaining like he is now about the Qater decision. Given all the general anti arab sentiment that exists in the west today, Qatar is just a convenient way for English fans to vent their anger at losing out to Russia. Its driven from phobia and prejudice and some of it is very unseemly.

Of course we will never know and Im sure every single English whiner on this board will claim otherwise but I know my own culture well enough. This outpouring is so non sensical, its beyond funny. Blatter is right, the English are proving themselves to be very very bad losers.

Sam.G

Qatar is just a convenient way for English fans to vent their anger at losing out to Russia. Its driven from phobia and prejudice and some of it is very unseemly.
Basically accusing those who are complaining of racism.

Nice.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No, not racism, but of preconceived phobias. 2 very different things.

Go through the thread and read forums on papers like the Daily Mail and Telegraph. Its very clear.

Sir A1ex

Given all the general anti arab sentiment that exists in the west today, Qatar is just a convenient way for English fans to vent their anger at losing out to Russia. Its driven from phobia and prejudice and some of it is very unseemly.
FFS - if any nation half the size of Wales, with a population of 1.4m, one and a half cities, a national team well outside the top 100 and no heritage whatsoever in the sport had won it, the reaction would be the same.

Whereas, if, say joint Qatar-Emirates bid, or a Saudi bid had won it, there would be a lot less outrage (still some, due to them fitting the last two criteria, but it wouldn't be as farcical as Qatar).

What is unseemly is people like you and Blatter playing the race card like that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
FFS - if any nation half the size of Wales, with a population of 1.4m people, one and a half cities, a national team well outside the top 100 and no heritage whatsoever in the sport had won it, the reaction would be the same.

What is unseemly is people like you and Blatter playing the race card like that.
As I said, had England beaten Russia, this thread would not exist and nor would all the bollox about bikinis and beer.

Sir A1ex

As I said, had England beaten Russia this thread would not even exist and nor would all the bollox about bikinis and beer.
Well, of course this thread would not exist as Blatter would look a bit odd (even by his own standards) calling us bad losers if we'd won.

But the other big thread would still be there. It may not be as popular, as granted a lot of people are also in that thread to point out that, totally irresepctive of 2022, there are plenty of questions to be asked about Russia winning, but there would certainly still be plenty of us ridiculing the decision to give 2022 to Qatar.

Sam.G

No, not racism, but of preconceived phobias. 2 very different things.

Go through the thread and read forums on papers like the Daily Mail and Telegraph. Its very clear.
Your first problem, sammsky, is reading the Daily Mail. That is not a reasonable newspaper and nor is it read by reasonable people. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did have preconceived phobias.

But you have argued this point on here not the Daily Mail, thereby accusing those on here of racism, albeit under your guise of 'preconceived phobias'

In one sweeping generalisation, you have accused people of making sweeping generalisations.

And you won't even get the irony.

For accusing me of racism and for your sheer lack of self awareness, I suggest you take a very long walk.

Off a very short plank.

Good day.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well, of course this thread would not exist as Blatter would look a bit odd (even by his own standards) calling us bad losers if we'd won.

But the other big thread would still be there. It may not be as popular, as granted a lot of people are also in that thread to point out that, totally irresepctive of 2022, there are plenty of questions to be asked about Russia winning, but there would certainly still be plenty of us ridiculing the decision to give 2022 to Qatar.
I dont agree but we will never know

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
"Engalnd"

:lol:
<|>
/\​

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Your first problem, sammsky, is reading the Daily Mail. That is not a reasonable newspaper and nor is it read by reasonable people. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did have preconceived phobias.

But you have argued this point on here not the Daily Mail, thereby accusing those on here of racism, albeit under your guise of 'preconceived phobias'

In one sweeping generalisation, you have accused people of making sweeping generalisations.

And you won't even get the irony.

For accusing me of racism and for your sheer lack of self awareness, I suggest you take a very long walk.

Off a very short plank.

Good day.
First, I dont read the Daily Mail but many many people do and whether you like it or not, its a very accurate representation of what a significant demographic in this country believes.

Second, Arab-o-phobia has existed in this country for a long time and Islamaphobia is also now a thriving industry. Again, its been written about extensively already that that is one of the key underlying reasons for the excessive outrage aimed at Qatar (and not Russia) from this country. If you read any of the press from Islamic countries like Turkey, Malaysia, or those in Northern Africa, people are frankly disgusted that the key concern of Englishmen is that they cant drink beer and so are now abusing another country's integrity because they did not get their own way.

Football is played in many countries where beer is not allowed. Its not a divine right that beer and football have to accompany each other. Respect another mans culture. its quite simple. Again, this is not just me writing this, far more eminent, influential and informed writers in the western and Eastern worlds have noticed.

Like him or not, he was 100% correct in his statement that "I really sense in some reactions a bit of arrogance of the western world of Christian background. Some simply can’t bear it if others get a chance for a change". Like it or not, the UK/USA has very recent history in trying to impose its supremacy onto middle east. This maybe just a small victory but the tide is turning. As almost every political and economic futurist has predicted, the 21st century will not belong to Western Europe nor the USA. Of course both will remain but there influence is fading fast. And this is but one small example.

Of course Iraq and Blair are heavily linked into all of this. That decision will haunt this nation for at least a generation as it radically changed the opinions of ordinary people everywhere. As a British expat living overseas for a long time, I have had to bear the brunt of that every time I open mu moth with my English accent., Its not pleasant for a nation who has such a misguided view of itself. As some have now publicly stated "Its hard to accept that we are so hated". Yes, Britain is no longer 'Great'.

Perhaps you yourself is not guilty of this, I don't know you apart from an internet personna that i also don't know that well. But it is not a generalisation at all that your average football fan the the UK will hold views on Qatar based on previous opinions than on there bid itself.

Like it or not, the Uk has a toxic phobia with the Middle East now, whether its burka's or prayer, mosque architecture or even the way animals are killed for consumption. This is the underlying tension that is being exposed and Qatars winning of the world cup is just a vehicle from which to vent such views. Again, perhaps its not you directly, but there are more than enough for me not to be making what you call a sweeping generlisation.

I liked this article in particular: FIFA's World (Cup) View Is Progressive, Realistic -- and Right -- FanHouse

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe
First, I dont read the Daily Mail but many many people do and whether you like it or not, its a very accurate representation of what a significant demographic in this country believes.

Second, Arab-o-phobia has existed in this country for a long time and Islamaphobia is also now a thriving industry. Again, its been written about extensively already that that is one of the key underlying reasons for the excessive outrage aimed at Qatar (and not Russia) from this country. If you read any of the press from Islamic countries like Turkey, Malaysia, or those in Northern Africa, people are frankly disgusted that the key concern of Englishmen is that they cant drink beer and so are now abusing another country's integrity because they did not get their own way.

Football is played in many countries where beer is not allowed. Its not a divine right that beer and football have to accompany each other. Respect another mans culture. its quite simple. Again, this is not just me writing this, far more eminent, influential and informed writers in the western and Eastern worlds have noticed.

Like him or not, he was 100% correct in his statement that "I really sense in some reactions a bit of arrogance of the western world of Christian background. Some simply can’t bear it if others get a chance for a change". Like it or not, the UK/USA has very recent history in trying to impose its supremacy onto middle east. This maybe just a small victory but the tide is turning. As almost every political and economic futurist has predicted, the 21st century will not belong to Western Europe nor the USA. Of course both will remain but there influence is fading fast. And this is but one small example.

Of course Iraq and Blair are heavily linked into all of this. That decision will haunt this nation for at least a generation as it radically changed the opinions of ordinary people everywhere. As a British expat living overseas for a long time, I have had to bear the brunt of that every time I open mu moth with my English accent., Its not pleasant for a nation who has such a misguided view of itself. As some have now publicly stated "Its hard to accept that we are so hated". Yes, Britain is no longer 'Great'.

Perhaps you yourself is not guilty of this, I don't know you apart from an internet personna that i also don't know that well. But it is not a generalisation at all that your average football fan the the UK will hold views on Qatar based on previous opinions than on there bid itself.

Like it or not, the Uk has a toxic phobia with the Middle East now, whether its burka's or prayer, mosque architecture or even the way animals are killed for consumption. This is the underlying tension that is being exposed and Qatars winning of the world cup is just a vehicle from which to vent such views. Again, perhaps its not you directly, but there are more than enough for me not to be making what you call a sweeping generlisation.

I liked this article in particular: FIFA's World (Cup) View Is Progressive, Realistic -- and Right -- FanHouse
feck me this might be the biggest load of bollocks I've ever read.

Mick1991

I was actually annoyed that England didn't get it because it would have been handy to travel over etc. But England played the game, they gave favours but unfortunately Russia's favours must have better.

I think what get's at some people is the fact that if you had won the F.A wouldn't have said a damn thing knowing full well what is going in FIFA. It didn't just dawn on them last week that FIFA are corrupt they have known for years before I was born I'd reckon.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I do wonder though, are you all honestly convinced that the only reason England did not gain the WC was due to corruption? Are you sure that Russia's bid was not superior? Are you not convinced that Russia will be able to organise the event and put on an excellent show?

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

Let's keep politics and racism (sorry phobias) out of this thread Sammsky. It's about Blatter fighting back from the corner he's been backed into. We should keep it that way.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Well six or seven World Cup hosting contests including Brazil's 2014 bid have been decided by default as there were no runners, it's the competing countries prerogative to pull out.
And we well might have done had it been known to s that an established footballing nation [or prior World Cup host] was unlikely to be awarded he tournament, no matter the qualities technically or the actions of the media.

Why not simply state from the outset that this cycle was for a certain type of bid?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I don't think he has the power to really. It'd kind of be like the school prefect questioning the wisdom(or lack of)of the headmaster. He and UEFA are under the thumb of Blatter and his little crew.

What Platini and UEFA can control, he's tried to promote a fairer, well-run game with the FFP regs and criticism of debt/foreign investment, he's also trying to stop this ridiculous exploitation of national legislation regarding movement of young, non-professional footballer's(too young to sign pro forms in some European countries).
UEFA has enormous power. Without them it would just be CONEMBOL and the lesser federations.

Heck even if the 5 or 6 main countries withdrew from FIFA, FIFA are fecked.

Its about having the courage to rock the boat.

If you want to do what is right, you have to fight for it and take risks.

Platini is a politician and not the right person for the fight imo.

Mick1991

I think it is more to do with the way they play everybody off each other Randall. They take favours from both sides, promising to vote from them etc and then basing their vote on who has helped them financially the most and who will further enhance their personal wealth in the future.

Which is sad because even if you are the best vote you will have to participate in these antics.

WireRed

I do wonder though, are you all honestly convinced that the only reason England did not gain the WC was due to corruption? Are you sure that Russia's bid was not superior? Are you not convinced that Russia will be able to organise the event and put on an excellent show?
It's not necessarily the fact Russia got it that raises suspicion, it's the fact that in FIFA's own words "the best technical and commercial" bid received a grand total of one vote outside our own. That's where the stink of corruption and hidden agendas comes from, not to mention the evidence of FIFA executives receiving/willing to take inducements.

Adebesi

I dont think the reaction to Qatar is Islamaphobic or racist. If it had been given to Egypt or Turkey, for example, I dont think there would have been the same kind of negative reaction.

The problem is that giving it to Qatar is absurd. Just as giving it to The Cayman Islands or Bermuda would have been absurd.

We will see whether the tournament is a success in due course.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
No, not at all.

We keep saying over and over again that the issue that's been brought to the fore here is the possible corruption within FIFA. That's what we are annoyed about and it's nothing new. We've been annoyed about it for ages. This time though their behaviour in the bidding has increased our suspicions to the extent that we want them investigated thoroughly.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Blatter, 74, said the reaction of the losing bidders showed some did not understand his drive to expand football's frontiers.
YAH! Your ego and bank account has got sod all to do with matters eh Sepp?

"I really sense in some reactions a bit of the arrogance of the Western world of Christian background. Some simply can't bear it if others get a chance for a change," he said.
Not just Sammy firing off the slurs with a racist or anti-Islamic undertone. Just a touch ludicrous on his part when you consider the track record of a place like Russia and racism in the footballing environment.

How does he go about explaining the negative reaction in South Korea and Japan do you think?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
'Expand football's frontiers'

There's a way to go about doing it. World cups are become more and more rubbish as is international football. The game really could have done with a world cup in a country like England IMO. I do think there is a general image of the English as an arrogant and snobbish bunch, but those things shouldn't matter.

Donkey's Ears

You think the negative reaction to Qutar is to do with a toxic phobia of the Middle East?

You think the reaction would have been better had it been Bermuda or a similarly tiny country with a ludicrously inhospitable climate and no footballing culture?

What kind of phobia links the Russia to the Middle East?

And you may well be right that the future belongs to a world outside of the US and the UK, but right now, FIFA couldn't survive as it stands without the support of Europe (and particularly the UK), the majority of the money it makes and Qutar wants to make will come from those markets. There has to be a balance and this time there simply was not. That's not racism, or jingoism but the truth.

The ludicrous headlines in the papers shouldn't blind you to this fact.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
But it is also a fact that England are bad losers, just look at all the previous world cups and the reaction to their exits.
I just wanted to mention the same thing. Before every tournament, the English hype themselves up and think they will win anything, only to be disappointed and go mental and accuse the world for their failings

Sam.G

He's right.I thought the french people were the biggest drama queens ever but the Englishmen are catching up
I haven't read your stance on Fifa, kouroux so apologies if I have missed it somewhere.

What are your thoughts on them as an organisation? What do you make of Qatar winning the right to hold the 2022 WC?