Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea (hopefully)

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
The same team runs the dodgers and they are quite well managed. Tuchel was going to always be on the way out as he was hired prior to the new ownership.

macheda14

This is just business as usual for Chelsea isn’t it?
Yes but long term they had far more money to play with. I don’t think they’ll be continuing spending 300 mill each summer. It was in the sale they had to commit a certain amount of investment into the squad and the stadium, once that’s done I don’t see the spending staying as high.

RedDevilRoshi

I think Boehly is going to destroy Chelsea FC. From a scattergun transfer window of weird signings and no real planning, just getting what other teams are after.

To now sacking Tuchel after a few bad results.

Seems very volatile and not a good sign for the future.

Discuss
If Roman was still in charge then this would be nothing new and probably something you would have expected.

mu4c_20le

I was going to say "well just like us?"... but thats a hell of a kneejerk sacking

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Had they fired Tuchel only a week earlier than United would probably have had a buyer for Ronaldo.

ChaddyP

Disagree with opening post. Apparently the signings made were decided by the club not tuchel so they knew he was a goner.

Chelsea have a vision for a more collaborative approach and developing players. Neither of which tuchel was doing according to bbc.

If the owner does carry on with the abramovich approach to managers they will carry on being successful. Works for them. They have won alot more in the past decade than we have.
So Sack him in the summer and get in the coach u want to implement your vision with a preseason under his belt.

They will be having a game every three to four days... That in itself is unfair to the new csoch coming in who can't even get a few good tactical sessions in before the next game

ShoePolish

He just spent 250mil backing Tuchel, new manager will surely need couple of players for his system next summer. I expected Boehly to have the tap running this summer to win over supporters, and I fully expect that tap to start closing down, because end of the day, he'll be looking for profits.
They'll try for Zidane and Potter, but will settle for Poch. Zidane is waiting for WC to pass to take over France, Potter has had too good of a start to the season to jump ship, he'll want to ride the wave out before moving on.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Chelsea are a pretty mediocre club who have been financially doped to achieve some great success, although never domination. Would not be surprising if the departure of the sugar daddy behind said doping means they go back to where they belong.

largelyworried

We'll wait and see how this managerial hunt pans out, but its hard to see any sort of through line between Graham Potter, Pochettino and Zidane. You could hardly find a bunch of managers more different from each other. All they have in common is they're probably available.

Also worth remembering that their senior management team is also largely gone. Last I saw they have no DOF and no head scout, as well as now having no first team coach. So they're trying to build an entirely new footballing culture, and they've given themselves a few days to do it, mid-season, with a CEO with no experience whatsoever. That is risky as hell.

OverratedOpinion

Bit premature, it seems they at least tried to appoint Michael Edwards so they are looking for a sporting director and they seem to be trying for Potter who is an excellent coach. Maybe he should have let the previous framework stay and help with recruitment this summer but it was a bit of a weird time to let Roman's people stay in place. Tuchel's ability was also vastly overblown.

mu4c_20le

Bit premature, it seems they at least tried to appoint Michael Edwards so they are looking for a sporting director and they seem to be trying for Potter who is an excellent coach. Maybe he should have let the previous framework stay and help with recruitment this summer but it was a bit of a weird time to let Roman's people stay in place. Tuchel's ability was also vastly overblown.
They're just playing FM, hoping to get lucky.

Remember the geese

The sacking has come far too soon and it is pretty ridiculous but if he can get Potter in then it's the right decision in my opinion.

SouthernRedDev

Im not sure why any manager would want the Chelsea job, it'll only last 6-8 months. I suppose one upside is that if they agree a long contract Chelsea will pay up the remainder to get rid of them early. Although potter would be a good appointment, im not sure he has a large enough profile for the players.

mu4c_20le

Nothing I see tells me that. They already tried for Michael Edwards, seems they want to put people in the right positions to me.
Edwards seems to specialize in finding gems, yet Boely wants to make big statement signings. It doesn't make sense.

OverratedOpinion

Edwards seems to specialize in finding gems, yet Boely wants to make big statement signings. It doesn't make sense.
I mean Edwards signed Thiago, Allison and Van Dijk. 2 were the most expensive ever signing in their position at the time.

I wouldn't say he is opposed to spending money. Either way that would surely be a good thing if Boehly was willing to admit he needs expertise?

Judas

Open to offers
Chelsea are a pretty mediocre club who have been financially doped to achieve some great success, although never domination. Would not be surprising if the departure of the sugar daddy behind said doping means they go back to where they belong.
They've still got a sugar daddy though, just one who is seemingly a bit clueless right now.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
He surely must have a replacement ready?

The Purley King

Im not sure why any manager would want the Chelsea job, it'll only last 6-8 months. I suppose one upside is that if they agree a long contract Chelsea will pay up the remainder to get rid of them early. Although potter would be a good appointment, im not sure he has a large enough profile for the players.
Do they have any difficult characters in the dressing room though?
I think Potter is an upgrade on all but 3 or 4 managers in the league, so if Chelsea do get him they'll have done well out of this.

In Rainbows

The same team runs the dodgers and they are quite well managed. Tuchel was going to always be on the way out as he was hired prior to the new ownership.
That's giving way too much credit to Boehly. The Dodgers have a collaborative approach set up by their president of baseball operations (who was a former GM ie a DOF), Andrew Friedman. The guy is so good at his job and setting up that culture that Boehly comes across as arrogant for thinking he can replicate Friedman's success.

He comes across as impatient, which was the opposite of the Dodgers. It took them a while to replace their manager after the ownership group took over.

RedRover

I think Boehly is going to destroy Chelsea FC. From a scattergun transfer window of weird signings and no real planning, just getting what other teams are after.

To now sacking Tuchel after a few bad results.

Seems very volatile and not a good sign for the future.

Discuss
Same as Roman did.

Won a shed load of trophies.

Top clubs mostly all operate like this now.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I think his transfer policy so far has been a load of shite and will eventually have serious long term consequences, but I’ve no problem with him sacking Tuchel. For the money invested you want to be challenging for the league and I don’t think that’s possible with a team that relies so heavily on defenders scoring.

bringbackbebe

Disagree with opening post. Apparently the signings made were decided by the club not tuchel so they knew he was a goner.

Chelsea have a vision for a more collaborative approach and developing players. Neither of which tuchel was doing according to bbc.

If the owner does carry on with the abramovich approach to managers they will carry on being successful. Works for them. They have won alot more in the past decade than we have.
Makes sense why Tuchel kept complaining about poor attitude and lack of hunger. Indirect way of saying "you're dumping players on me who aren't going to help...here, see the result unfolding right in front of your eyes"

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Yes but this is only what 4 maybe 6 bad results?
Will have to hear how the summer and the beginning of the season went with the owner and Tuchel. He is known for blowing up if things don't go his way. If it is going to happen, do it while we can still have a good season. This business of waiting until top 4 is lost is silly.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That's giving way too much credit to Boehly. The Dodgers have a collaborative approach set up by their president of baseball operations (who was a former GM ie a DOF), Andrew Friedman. The guy is so good at his job and setting up that culture that Boehly comes across as arrogant for thinking he can replicate Friedman's success.

He comes across as impatient, which was the opposite of the Dodgers. It took them a while to replace their manager after the ownership group took over.
Dodgers spent heavily too and they made a lot of noise as soon as the takeover was done in terms of carrying a monstrous payroll. The expertise not having been hired might be the thing though, as he seems to want Michael Edwards, who’s keen on taking a sabbatical.

Abraxas

Is it really Todd Boehly picking players? I don't think so, I'd imagine there's a team for that. He seems to be raising his head above the parapet in terms of negotiations (and overall I think Chelsea made some questionable deals) but I'm not sure you can entirely blame him for that if he's working to what the club want and you certainly can't blame him for Tuchel's poor form as manager.

I reckon he's just an easy target as he's seen as this clueless American bloke so he's immediately not going to get much credit. But let's see, he'll have to own the managerial decision and as always in football your manager covers over a lot or makes things worse.

city-puma

Is it really Todd Boehly picking players? I don't think so, I'd imagine there's a team for that. He seems to be raising his head above the parapet in terms of negotiations (and overall I think Chelsea made some questionable deals) but I'm not sure you can entirely blame him for that if he's working to what the club want and you certainly can't blame him for Tuchel's poor form as manager.

I reckon he's just an easy target as he's seen as this clueless American bloke so he's immediately not going to get much credit. But let's see, he'll have to own the managerial decision and as always in football your manager covers over a lot or makes things worse.
He is so-called interim director of football.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah. The second I saw that Matt Law article about Boehly wanting to be involved and bounce ideas off the coach as their new culture... That's when you know they're fecked. Football is very much a "know your place" sort of thing. Boehly seems excited and eager and all, but he's clueless and he's blown 280m on players who don't really make them better bar Sterling. Whoever they get as manager, if the owners want to have that much control on football side, they'll be a bit fecked long term. Might have good years here and there, but it never works when the owner wants to be the center of attention.
If that’s true about Boehly then I would say it’s pretty concerning

He’s fallen out with Marina, Cech and Tuchel now in a few months. All have now left the club.

Do you think he’ll actually get a DoF?

Abraxas

He is so-called interim director of football.
Interesting, that seems bizarre. I wonder what the meaning of that is, whether he's making unilateral decisions or it really just symbolises his role in facilitating deals. It would be incredibly strange to think a smart man like that is just throwing money at names he's Googled.