Boehly is going to ruin Chelsea (hopefully)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He and his wife divorced - they'd been together for a decade-plus as well and apparently it was fairly acrimonious.
That's sad to hear. Would have definitely been a strain in his personal life affecting his performance at Chelsea.

You'd think the very least he could have been was more accommodating to new ownership, in the way his peers are. He possibly would have rode out that period of underachievement.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That's sad to hear. Would have definitely been a strain in his personal life affecting his performance at Chelsea.

You'd think the very least he could have been was more accommodating to new ownership, in the way his peers are. He possibly would have rode out that period of underachievement.
Oh I completely agree. I'm of the opinion that sacking Tuchel was the second stupidest thing Chelsea have ever done - close to but not quite exceeding selling Kevin de Bruyne for €‎18m when he still had 3.5 years left on his contract because Mourinho decided he was bad after one half of an FA Cup tie.

I also just find the argument that many Chelsea fans have put forward that "it was also bad under Tuchel" to be completely lacking in perspective - Potter averaged 1.27 points per game for Chelsea. Even in his first games this season when it was apparently so bad as to be unsustainable, Tuchel averaged 1.67 points per game - and that goes up to 2.0 points per game if Mike Dean doesn't ignore literally the most blatant red card of the season because he's a daft bald dipshit.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Imagine being gifted Thomas Tuchel as a manager, sacking him and replacing him with Potter AND then Lampard…

Imagine how many yes-men you must have around you to pull stuff like that.

The Firestarter

Imagine being gifted Thomas Tuchel as a manager, sacking him and replacing him with Potter AND then Lampard…

A rich man thinking they can be good at anything wonder where I have seen this lately

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
So, again, do we know how fecked they are without European football next season?

Surely they won’t be able to make significant transfers at that point, given what has already been spent on sure things like Mudryk.

HookedOnAPhelan

So, again, do we know how fecked they are without European football next season?

Surely they won’t be able to make significant transfers at that point, given what has already been spent on sure things like Mudryk.

Depends on how much they sell for I would think. They have plenty of players to sell, with their bloated squad.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

And they won't be able to sell players that no one wants for miraculously exorbitant fees, now Abramovitch has gone, either.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
What an odd comment. He was fired in 07 September, that's hardly the business end of the season is it? It's not like he was shooting for peak performance in August and Sept.
The problem Tuchel has is he’s great on the training ground, but once a transfer window opens he goes a bit mental. He ended up in a massive fall out with Dortmund over Oliver Torres, Lukaku at Chelsea, and I got the impression he was playing up at Chelsea last summer, despite Boehly being a clueless cnut.

They used to be well versed.. this isn’t the same club.

They will be facing a monster payout as he’s been at the club over 6 months. It may not end up being the full £50m however I’d wager it will be bigger than the £25 Conte got.

When you factor in the £21m the paid to get him, the money it cost to poach all the staff who will now leave, and even the head of recruitment, this is going to be the most expensive fiascos in history I imagine.

That’s not even mentioning Tuchel’s payout in the same season (and the cost of the new, new manager who will already be demanding more than the 12m x 5 year deal they handed Potter…
Heard somewhere they’ve paid him nothing like the five years. I can see it being like that. Potter is a drip and would probably give it up without a fuss. They even said he was going to collaborate with them in moving on from him! It’s a shame because he should have took them to the cleaners, that’s what everyone else is doing…

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Depends on how much they sell for I would think. They have plenty of players to sell, with their bloated squad.
Love how they brief that they put the players on long contracts (8 years) on lower wages. If those players do well, they will push for a raise to top wages ASAP. If they don’t, your stuck paying them forever.

It’s the kind of briefing you’d get with Woodward saying he renewed all contracts to “keep value” or gave Solksjaer the job after OGS write down his dream United team of 2025!

Except for I think Boehly is more dangerous…

RedOrange

That didn't help Potter very much.

He needs to feel like Boehly Big Bollocks all the time, but all he can really do is sack the manager and buy more players. He's just going to keep mashing those buttons until the money runs out or he is removed.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The guy is a clown as most of us predicted.

Its becoming increasingly obvious he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club. I mean we knew that anyway when he signed loads of bang average players to 8 year deals.

elisha27

While Boehly's certainly the face of the new Chelsea, didn't The Athletic report that Eghbali calls the shots and Boehly's more his right-hand man? If so, Eghbali is doing a smooth job of staying out of the media's glare so far.

Woziak

Can’t wait for PL Northern All stars vs PL Southern Superstars game he wants to start , in all seriousness where do Americans get off wanting to reinvent the game that has been played for centuries all over the world and they are the last to the party.

Enjoy it, embrace it for what it is, if you don’t like the jeopardy of a highly competitive league and relegation and promotion it’s probably not for you.

I say a this and yet there is that little light of hope that Chelsea May go and do the impossible and win the CL

Woziak

The guy is a clown as most of us predicted.

Its becoming increasingly obvious he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club. I mean we knew that anyway when he signed loads of bang average players to 8 year deals.
Your right, this guy’s incompetence might make Woodward look like some sort of Nirvana of Transfer Guru’s?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
This is a most excellent period in football. When you think of all the money they spent this season its unbelieveable that we are witnessing such levels of incompetency.

Djemba-Djemba

Just insane to think how awful last season felt for Utd fans, and yet this current Chelsea season is almost twice as bad as the one we had.

They've been staggeringly bad.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just insane to think how awful last season felt for Utd fans, and yet this current Chelsea season is almost twice as bad as the one we had.

They've been staggeringly bad.
Especially when you consider how much they have spent. Not saying all the signings are shit but they’ve blown through half of the Clearlake money, two managers and look like missing out of CL revenue next season.

I don’t think it could have gone any worse tbh.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
£600m spent. Shitloads more on 3 different managers. 11th in the league with less goals than games played :lol::lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't really think sacking Tuchel was a mistake sering as he was managing and talking like he was asking to be sacked. Maybe he just realised his new boss was an idiot and wanted to get out before his reputation started getting caught up in the sea of incompetence.

It's just, well literally everything else that's been the problem. Potter might have been ok if they didn't immediately sign him about 20 players that he obviously had no say in, and that made about as much sense as buying 30 new tracksuits to address the fact you have no clothes to wear to your job at the anti tracksuit wearing factory.

The 8 year contracts thing is so dumb. What if the players turn out to be rubbish, or want to leave? Or don't want to leave but you've finished 11th so have to offload some? It's like the the anti version of Woodward. Equally dumb but in the opposite way.

Why did they sack Potter of the alternative was Lampard?

Now they have a manager of Chelsea who has already been sacked this season for being bad at managing, and has also already been sacked from Chelsea for being bad at managing Chelsea.

Chief123

As a Utd fan I’m absolutely delighted the short, medium and long term future of Chelsea is in the hands of Boehly. I’m convinced there can be no success under this guy. It’s even better than them having a mediocre manager. An owner is hard to get rid of. Long may the ClearFake project continue.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
To be honest they're not too far away. The first XI is pretty strong bar 2/3 players. They are a summer transfer window and a good coach appointment from getting it right.

Dan_F

Would imagine they can take the hit for one season, but it puts a lot of pressure on getting it right next year.

SAFMUTD

The 8 year contracts thing is so dumb.
It's not smart or dumb it's just very risky. Its seen as dumb at the moment when the players are underperforming but if Chelsea were flying everyone would be saying that it was a genius move.

Pros: you tie potential players to long contracts so you hold control over the transfers, they can't pressure you with leaving for free in the short term.

You frozen the wages, no need for improved contracts to keep players at year 3-4.

Financially you distribute the cost in 8 years so it's amortized and allows you to play with FFP.

Cons: if the player is shit you're stuck with him for longer.

Even though you have the players on long contracts if they feel they deserve a pay raise they'll ask for it and it may create an unpleasant situation for both parts.

You may have to offer bigger wages than normally due to the length of the contract.

At the end of the line I think players have more to lose than clubs by signing these type of long contracts. The club can sell them at any point but players are stuck if they want to move they lose negotiation power.

Anyway I think it's been prohibited by fifa already so we won't see any more clubs doing it.

city-puma

It’s hard at the moment to predict if he made long lasting damage, but Blackburn jumps to my mind. Blackburn is currently fighting for playoff. It’s a very long time since they sacked big Sam.

The Firestarter

It's not smart or dumb it's just very risky. Its seen as dumb at the moment when the players are underperforming but if Chelsea were flying everyone would be saying that it was a genius move.

Pros: you tie potential players to long contracts so you hold control over the transfers, they can't pressure you with leaving for free in the short term.

You frozen the wages, no need for improved contracts to keep players at year 3-4.

Financially you distribute the cost in 8 years so it's amortized and allows you to play with FFP.

Cons: if the player is shit you're stuck with him for longer.

Even though you have the players on long contracts if they feel they deserve a pay raise they'll ask for it and it may create an unpleasant situation for both parts.

You may have to offer bigger wages than normally due to the length of the contract.

At the end of the line I think players have more to lose than clubs by signing these type of long contracts. The club can sell them at any point but players are stuck if they want to move they lose negotiation power.

Anyway I think it's been prohibited by fifa already so we won't see any more clubs doing it.
Which makes it dumb precisely due to the increased risk.

Someone

Something
He's clueless. You don't spend 600m without a clear football structure in place and a long term vision. It's also very poor leadership in general to walk into a new role and try to make a lot of changes so soon. He didn't give himself any time to learn and understand how things work so he could make informed decisions, and hire the right people to help.

If he isn't a complete idiot he could still get it right next season, but some of his decisions could still have long term consequences, specially the long contracts, which is in fact dumb and won't work simply because we know that not all signings work, and they'll definitely end up with few players flopping.

Goes to show that spending money isn't everything, and I hope to God that this could be a cautionary tale to whomever our new owners will be.

In Rainbows

That's giving way too much credit to Boehly. The Dodgers have a collaborative approach set up by their president of baseball operations (who was a former GM ie a DOF), Andrew Friedman. The guy is so good at his job and setting up that culture that Boehly comes across as arrogant for thinking he can replicate Friedman's success.

He comes across as impatient, which was the opposite of the Dodgers. It took them a while to replace their manager after the ownership group took over.
I knew Boehly was a fraud. I never understood why they tried to pass him off as the reason for the Dodgers success.