Boring, boring Man United

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
The problem is fans seem to think that our glory days comprised of nothing but Ronaldo hat tricks and highlight reels constantly. So they think now we are dreadful to watch compared to how amazing we were in every match in the SAF era. No one takes into account that pretty much all teams have crap boring games, especially if certain players aren’t fit. Add into that the fact that football in general is so tactical based and structured compared to the old days. Just go watch a game from the 90’s and look at how much space there is on the pitch compared to the top UCL games these days between two great teams.

Yes we are quite terrible to watch when our players aren’t executing properly, especially without our best XI because we already lack technicality in the midfield and defense. However in full flow agaisnt a team giving us space it’s great to watch. Comparing us to Leeds is just idiotic considering we’d probably be worse off results wise even if we entertained the moaning fans a bit more with how they play.
Football is far more offensive now than in the early 90s. Football as a whole wasn't pretty in the first half of that decade specially.

Anyway, this particular season has been affected by insanely tight schedules, tiredness and injuries. No team is at its best, aside from City. But even City doesn't try to steamroll teams as often as before, to preserve energy and avoid fatigue. City controls the game more

Lemon Moon

I think its just modern football in general. It's not boring but it's not what it used to be.

It probably links back to there being too much money in the game, or too much risk. It kind of forces everyone to be 'beige' and not have a personality or say or do anything that may jeopardise their status or fame, effectively cost them money.
There's no characters in the game anymore, give me Di Canio, Gattuso, Bullard, King Eric & kung fu kicks, seagulls and brilliance! Give me little buggers like Denis Wise and rivalries like Keane vs Viera, give me young and hungry Jose Mourinho who believes he's gods gift to football, give me nutters like Gordon Strachan! & Nobby Stiles.

Not the drab, beige personalities of today (its not their fault)

Same can be said in the Music Scene, as well as other walks of life.

Life just isn't as fun today as it was 'back in the day'.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I would certainly question how many 90 minute performances people are watching outside of United. I dont think I've ever watched as much football as I have this year due to lockdown boredom, and the quality of football by and large is not great.

I'm expecting a real stinker of a European Championships this summer too because of the level of fatigue. Very grateful for the distraction of football this past year, but its obviously taken its toll on the players and United have suffered from schedule overkill more than every other team.

A little perspective is always a vital element towards having an informed opinion or state of mind, and its lacking amongst our fanbase. We wanted a better league position - we've got it. We wanted a comfortable top 4 finish - we've got it. We do love a good old moan though, so lets zero in on the entertainment value now because no amount of factual & actual progress can convince anyone that they're wrong on that one!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I honestly think fans have been waiting for these big, decisive moments to the point winning is just getting in the way. We need to win 5-0 or routinely lose to finally answer the Ole question. Comfortably winning is just getting in the way.
Yes. Very well put.

theklr

Id say our «Main» XI is pretty fluid snd fun, but whenever we change it by 2 or more players it tends to be slower and more erratic.

But the fatigue thing is very real, we’ve played 49 games in all comps this season so far, which is more than nearly every other team in Europe. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but we have played midweek almost constantly because of that. When you dont have a squad like City that is gonna affect playstyle and intensity massively.

Case in point is the Leicester cup game where we were far better against them earlier in the season when legs were fresher.

OneUnited24

Id say our «Main» XI is pretty fluid snd fun, but whenever we change it by 2 or more players it tends to be slower and more erratic.

But the fatigue thing is very real, we’ve played 49 games in all comps this season so far, which is more than nearly every other team in Europe. And, correct me if I’m wrong, but we have played midweek almost constantly because of that. When you dont have a squad like City that is gonna affect playstyle and intensity massively.

Case in point is the Leicester cup game where we were far better against them earlier in the season when legs were fresher.
This x1000.

I think I saw a stat a few days ago that said we haven't had a midweek break since November! Thats a long time to go playing a game every 3/4 days. It doesnt allow for any real rest period and i'm surprised we haven't had more injuries. We did well to improve the squad quality from last season but we are miles off having a squad like Chelsea or City who can afford to rest players and know the players coming in can do a job. Ole has made mistakes but given the number of games we've played with a thin squad all that matters at the moment is winning - which we are doing

RedDevil@84

I would certainly question how many 90 minute performances people are watching outside of United. I dont think I've ever watched as much football as I have this year due to lockdown boredom, and the quality of football by and large is not great.
I watched a few City games and got bored as well. And they are running away with the title.

Ludens the Red

On a personal note. I’d say I’ve watched about 75% of games this season, full ninety minutes. And I’d agree that by large most teams have looked poor for the most part.

I’d say city, Brighton, Southampton, Leicester and I hate to say it Leeds have pretty much played a good standard of progressive football throughout this season.

Liverpool were fairly decent up until January. Chelsea are hit and miss. West Ham and Villa aren’t always pretty but they’re effective. Spurs have had a few good ones scattered in amongst mostly crap.
Everton are a bit like us, I genuinely have no idea what they’re doing most games but they’ve got a manager players will play for, and some good players, so they win games and score goals.

The likes of Arsenal, Wolves and Palace have been trash to watch. Arsenal in particular are an absolute abomination of a team. Pound for pound they’re the worse team to watch in this league. The stuff they played under Wenger compared to now is like another sport.

Then you’ve got the obvious change the channel trash like Burnley, Newcastle and Sheffield . Fulham and West Brom slightly better.

But yes the standard overall is poor but that’s not gonna stop expecting United to do much better.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I think its just modern football in general. It's not boring but it's not what it used to be.

It probably links back to there being too much money in the game, or too much risk. It kind of forces everyone to be 'beige' and not have a personality or say or do anything that may jeopardise their status or fame, effectively cost them money.
There's no characters in the game anymore, give me Di Canio, Gattuso, Bullard, King Eric & kung fu kicks, seagulls and brilliance! Give me little buggers like Denis Wise and rivalries like Keane vs Viera, give me young and hungry Jose Mourinho who believes he's gods gift to football, give me nutters like Gordon Strachan! & Nobby Stiles.

Not the drab, beige personalities of today (its not their fault)

Same can be said in the Music Scene, as well as other walks of life.

Life just isn't as fun today as it was 'back in the day'.
Agree with most of what you say. As a kid I loved George Best, Denis Law a close second and Bobby not far behind Law.
I loved Gerry Daly, Gordon Hill, Stuart Pearson, Sammy McIlroy, Bryan Robson, Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath, Mark Hughes, Eric, Peter Schmeichel, Denis Irwin, Roy, Giggs, Becks, Yorke, Cole, OGS, Ruud, Jaap, Steve Bruce, Edwin, Cristiano, Rooney, Scholes and many more.
Its hard to "love" this present bunch. No big, confident characters. It's all got a bit bland.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
I watched a few City games and got bored as well. And they are running away with the title.
Mainly if the opponent parks the bus. But even when that's not case, City this season hasn't played with the same intensity of previous seasons because they can't afford and look more to simply control the games. They can step up and play amazing football, but often they don't need to do so and instead look to preserve energy.

The tight schedules of this season have really taken their toll in the teams. In my opinion, it's the main reason why Bayern, for example has been more inconsistent in this season compared to past one.

Agree with most of what you say. As a kid I loved George Best, Denis Law a close second and Bobby not far behind Law.
I loved Gerry Daly, Gordon Hill, Stuart Pearson, Sammy McIlroy, Bryan Robson, Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath, Mark Hughes, Eric, Peter Schmeichel, Denis Irwin, Roy, Giggs, Becks, Yorke, Cole, OGS, Ruud, Jaap, Steve Bruce, Edwin, Cristiano, Rooney, Scholes and many more.
Its hard to "love" this present bunch. No big, confident characters. It's all got a bit bland.
The problem is with the public too. If the players public personas are bland, it's because we made them bland, we always demand total respect and so on. The United supporters here, for example, often trashing Liverpool's players whenever they gave cocky declarations of superiority.

Ibrahimovic is a confident character, yet he is massacred by many. The world has become too politically correct. We glorify the polemic figures of the past while lambasting the ones we have now. We are hypocrite.

Personally, my favorite football personality ever is Romário.

Last edited:

alexthelion

I'm expecting a real stinker of a European Championships this summer too because of the level of fatigue. Very grateful for the distraction of football this past year, but its obviously taken its toll on the players and United have suffered from schedule overkill more than every other team.

A little perspective is always a vital element towards having an informed opinion or state of mind, and its lacking amongst our fanbase. We wanted a better league position - we've got it. We wanted a comfortable top 4 finish - we've got it. We do love a good old moan though, so lets zero in on the entertainment value now because no amount of factual & actual progress can convince anyone that they're wrong on that one!
Talking sense on the caf, whatever next?

alexthelion

I think people are being disingenious when comparing Ole's football to SAF's.

SAF's football for the first four or so years was sometimes incredibly bad, even worse than Ole's (not saying Ole is better before some of you jump in). Even during the "glory years" it was not always brilliant. Cretainly a lot of rose-tinted nostalgia being shown here.

Yagami

Good post resistant
When you look at the resources a club like us has, and factor in we're one of the biggest clubs in the world, I think the standard of our football for over a decade has been poor when taking in those factors.

06/07 was probably the last time we played consistent, entertaining stuff. 07/08, 08/09 and 12/13 were great, too, but that was more to do with individual brilliance (Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov in the two aforementioned seasons, and RvP in the latter) than us playing consistently great, attacking football as a team.

meamth

Since when football became an end to end, high scoring sports?

It's always been this dull. Football is a highlights sport, even in FM with extreme tiki taka setting you don't watch the whole 90 minutes.

Try playing Fifa wit 90 minutes setting you got bored, and that's video game.

mav_9me

Figured this is as good a thread as any to post this.

That's insane.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Not since the days of giggs rooney ronaldo berba nani Scholes days we been nice to watch. To be fair not many top side can claim that as well. Football has moved on i guess and it is what it is.

Dr Foo

Figured this is as good a thread as any to post this.

That's insane.
On hindsight, genuine question, do people think we should have prioritised and deprioritised some cups from the start to know our limitations and manage the squad? We kinda went full tilt in the league cup and FA cup (until we couldn't Vs Leicester so late into the run)

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Agreed on all of this.
LVG also had the same experience with Leicester, when we lost 5-3. Even in that game when we were winning 3-1, we were playing free-flowing very attractive football. It was a carnival-type atmosphere with Angel Di Maria given full license to score and assist from all areas of the pitch.
Then Jamie Vardy happened and LVG went into his shell, parking the bus in every match by hogging the ball.

Ole's Leicester moment came against Spurs and from that point onwards playing dire football has been the order of the day.

Jose Van Solkjaer.
No offense, but that ridiculous.

Are you suggesting LvG and Ole got so damaged by two individual results they completely changed their entire approach to football?

LvG did not want to play boring football, but he did because his approach was a terrible fit for the squad, who by large lacked the technical ability required to play that kind of football in an effective manner.

The very next game after Spurs we scored 4, and since then has scored 3 goals or more 10 times since then. These days we mostly face parked buses and combined with the fact that we have played twice a week since the start of the season and pretty much our entire attacking line up is in poor form its no wonder we look a bit sluggish going forward

MrBest

Number of games this season has clearly been an issue, as many have suggested but I partly blame the lack of rotation from Ole as the reason we look exhausted. Rashford is playing with injuries, Bruno never rested, Harry will only rest when he retires, we only use AWB at right back, Lindeloff has had a back injury most of the season, his decisions are questionable and many games we have only used 1 or no subs. There is a clear lack of trust from Ole to the rest of his squad, whether that is justified, we will not know as we dont know what goes on behind closed doors.

The other issue is the protection we offer to Harry and Victor. We need a centre back, someone who can bring the ball out and has the recovery pace to chase back. We use the double pivot to compensate for this and often see players like Scott and Pogba so deep, even though they should be much higher up. I believe Ole wanted a CB in the summer, so I put this on the board for not backing him.

Ole will naturally take the hit, some of which is justified but also some of which is the accountability of the board. I am Ole out but I would also be prepared to have him stay another year if he actually gets what he wants. DVB is not his kind of player, neither is Telles and Cavani was a panic purchase. The man is operating with almost the same squad for 1 year, with only Bruno, AWB and Maguire being the first team signings in his 30 month reign here. Boring or not, we can complain, i will complain, but Ole does deserve credit for never complaining publicly and getting on with the job. 2nd, a bunch of semi finals and 2nd year of champions league qualification. He needs backing so we can see what he can do otherwise this is just painful to watch.

theklr

On hindsight, genuine question, do people think we should have prioritised and deprioritised some cups from the start to know our limitations and manage the squad? We kinda went full tilt in the league cup and FA cup (until we couldn't Vs Leicester so late into the run)
100%. At least the League cup should have been deprioritized from the start. Only City and Chelsea can compete on all fronts.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Agreed. Everyone, from fans to players to staff, was on the same page that we were going the wrong way under Jose.

And that's what makes this season so disappointing. We were in such good shape post lockdown. We had an established technical first 11, with a lethal front 3, 2 potent offensive midfielders and an attacking fullback. At that point it seemed we just needed depth and a replacement for an ageing Matic in order to win while playing some really good stuff. It seemed like we were really building something, but it's all gone out the window this season.

If we can get back to that level somehow then I'm sure there will be no complaints from anyone on the forum regarding the style of football, but for this season there's no question that we seem to have regressed stylistically..
The difference then and now was that everyone was well rested and MMM were playing at their very best, the system, tactics and line up was pretty much the same as it is today

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No. It sounds somewhat sensible in theory but a United manager needs titles behind him before he can do that. Ole and the club needs to win a trophy.

big rons sovereign

100%. At least the League cup should have been deprioritized from the start. Only City and Chelsea can compete on all fronts.
Trouble is if we did that, then the waah waahs would be all over the manager for showing a lack of ambition. As well as spouting the same 'lower standards' bullshit.
There'd be at least another 10 threads by the same names bemoaning our lack of effort in the cup competitions.....

crossy1686

career ending
Trouble is if we did that, then the waah waahs would be all over the manager for showing a lack of ambition. As well as spouting the same 'lower standards' bullshit.
There'd be at least another 10 threads by the same names bemoaning our lack of effort in the cup competitions.....
Solskjaer wants to win a trophy to stop that exact noise but I do think our squad is far too thin to be trying to compete for everything, especially in this season.

justsomebloke

I don't think it's a coincidence that topics like this wax and wane with recent results, which I think people tend to over-emphasise.

Right now it's certainly hard to feel hugely entertained, with, what, 10 goals scored in the last 10 games? We're clearly in a stretch where we're not sparkling offensively, which does make us a bit boring and frustrating to watch. But I wouldn't put too much into that, it happens. Including to other top teams. Especially this season. You don't see Chelsea, Liverpool or even City roll out the fireworks consistently either. City keeps winning, but look at the number of chances they're creating - they're no longer a team who go out and blitz the opposition. They keep a tight back end, pass the ball around, go through long stretches in matches of not really creating much offensively but turn up a small handful of good chances and bury one or two of them. It's enough. It's a control game, and we seem to be doing much the same thing, if not in the same way. With City, that is a direct and conscious adaptation to the particular demands of this strange season (stated aim: run less). It seems obvious that similar factors are at play for us, and the further into the season we go, the more that seems likely to be the case.

Looking at the season as a whole, I don't think I'd call us a boring team to watch generally. Clearly, we often try and quite often succeed in playing offensively dynamic football. But also, things are not yet where they need to be if we're going to seriously challenge the 90+ points clubs. It's hard to say of course, but it feels very much like we're seeing the contours of the limitations of the squad - that we really can't expect them to become a lot better than this without further reinforcements.

hubbuh

That's fair enough. Maybe football is boring everywhere at the moment. It'd be interesting to hear from avid followers of the Bundesliga (@Zehner, @do.ob and co.?), La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1. I disagree with a lot of what other people have said though, that football is always like this and that it's just a boring thing in general.

'Progress' is a bit of a blanket word that keeps getting tossed about. I don't think we're all in agreement on what constitutes progress. Everyone wants to be entertained, though. It's what football is about when you strip it all back.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Boring is obviously one of the most subjective terms there is..

For me, United is boring as hell as there is so little creativity and initiative when we are in possession and there we are very passive when we dont have the ball.. We are purely relying on moments of brilliance of individuals, so ofcourse.. When Bruno gives us a moment of brilliance thats far from boring, but overall.. United games are boring as hell...

I could also argue City are boring.. Same as Barca some years ago.. Because its also so calculated and patient and playing left and rights until a space opens up and the througball pass is given.. Its all worldclass and its all incredibly difficult, but its getting to a point where hardly anything unexpected ever happens anymore..

So it obviously all depends through with which lense you watch a football game..

theklr

I don't think it's a coincidence that topics like this wax and wane with recent results, which I think people tend to over-emphasise.

Right now it's certainly hard to feel hugely entertained, with, what, 10 goals scored in the last 10 games? We're clearly in a stretch where we're not sparkling offensively, which does make us a bit boring and frustrating to watch. But I wouldn't put too much into that, it happens. Including to other top teams. Especially this season. You don't see Chelsea, Liverpool or even City roll out the fireworks consistently either. City keeps winning, but look at the number of chances they're creating - they're no longer a team who go out and blitz the opposition. They keep a tight back end, pass the ball around, go through long stretches in matches of not really creating much offensively but turn up a small handful of good chances and bury one or two of them. It's enough. It's a control game, and we seem to be doing much the same thing, if not in the same way. With City, that is a direct and conscious adaptation to the particular demands of this strange season (stated aim: run less). It seems obvious that similar factors are at play for us, and the further into the season we go, the more that seems likely to be the case.
Yeah, exactly. And I actually think its a good trait by OGS to understand that we need to evolve into the kind of team that can win games with minimum effort. Otherwise you wont last the whole season.

Like , we could have probably won the Granada game 4/5-0 if we put out our best XI and gave maximum effort, but then we woild be completly depleted against Spurs.

Member 101269

Boring?

We've seen Liverpool try to play their normal football without VVS and they're getting spanked. Their previously high performing players look garbage. I hope united get a better CD to push on.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Nothing is more boring than people constantly complaining about United being boring.
In the end unless the right result is there end to end stuff / 3-4 or 2-3 scores will also be called naive or bad defending whereas big 0-1 wins will be called boring by some and tactical masterclass by others.
Take United: Up to 2007 we were entertaining but at times less successful and naive especially in Europe, after that we were according to a lot of people much less entertaining but more successful / an experienced European side and all that.

tomaldinho1

Honestly, nothing would make me happier than the league cup being scrapped or made into an U23s comp.

The FA cup would become a lot more meaningful whereas now I think most fans think it’s a bit of a tin pot.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That's fair enough. Maybe football is boring everywhere at the moment. It'd be interesting to hear from avid followers of the Bundesliga (@Zehner, @do.ob and co.?), La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1. I disagree with a lot of what other people have said though, that football is always like this and that it's just a boring thing in general.

'Progress' is a bit of a blanket word that keeps getting tossed about. I don't think we're all in agreement on what constitutes progress. Everyone wants to be entertained, though. It's what football is about when you strip it all back.
Football loses something irreplaceable when they aren't fans in the stadium. I can only imagine what it must feel like for the players. Maybe relief not having an angry mob screaming in your direction, but more likely they miss them just as much as we do. Don't forget, we have canned crowd noise on TV to distract us from the silence. The players don't.

Its telling that there hasn't been a single classic match in the PL this season. The motivation that a full stadium adds to football has never been more apparent

MinGin

Since Jun 2020 the game resumption, we played 63 matches so far. Are the stamina of players in our thin squad really enough to play a attractive, entertaining and winning football in 295 days (around 4 days per match) and the counted matches are not including the nation matches.

We have 10 players played 35+ matches this season so far
(our Captain is played over 4000+ minutes and other 3 players are played over 3400 mins)
ManCity - 9 players over 35+ matches (highest play minutes - 3432 mins)
Liverpool - 6 players over 35+ matches (highest play minutes - 3509 mins)
Leicester - 3 players over 35+ matches (highest play - 3537 mins)
Chelsea - 4 players over 35+ matches (highest play minutes - 3121 mins)

Fatigue is the one of the factor to be considered. Moving and off the ball, passing accurate, pace, acceleration, dribble are also affected by fatigue. So will it cost us not to move that forward ?

Also, if we play one game within one week or two week, I do not think Ole will set a boring tactics, and the players will push 110% work hard to that game, BUT, we need to play another game in two or three days after, can you accept we play a sex game in weekend and feck off in mid-week? if we lose,,then someone will come out and moan that Ole out again. Ole manage well in a toughest schedule and achieve a not too bad result. (we are still in 2nd position)

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Outplaying in terms of entertainment.

The point I am making is that United are stronger and more entertaining than 99% of world football. We score more, have more shots and have more posession than most teams in the league.

THIS is what football is. If you think United are a completely boring side.. you don’t like football.
Bruh...

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Oh so that’s how it works. Who needs a strategy and clever investment with quality players who want to play for this club to win stuff?
All we need is world class players who don’t even want to be at United such as Di Maria, Sanchez and Co. + Ole and the fans talking about ambitions and winning titles all the time. That’s all that is stopping us from winning titles with McFred, an injured Cavani and a non existent RW.

iHicksy

Leeds play suicidal football, and our last match against them we showed how much better we are if a team wants to approach us like that. Give me a break with Brighton too
The guy said nicer football. E.g nicer to watch, all those teams play "nicer" football than us. I'm not arguing if it's more effective or not and you can't tell unless they have the same quality in their squads that we do. One of our players costs more than both teams put together of course we should beat them.