Boubakary Soumaré

jamesjimmybyrondean

Does anybody have an idea of his passing ability. We need creative midfielders that can unlock low block teams. Can this guy do it?

theklr

Looks like a bigger and better version of McT, although hard to assess correctly because of the league he’s playing in.

Since we have a system and players used to having that kind of player, that means he and us would hopefully spend less time integrating him. Important signing now that McT is out. Hope its not just unfounded rumours.

Would be weird if Spurs signed him seeing they have lots of midfielders.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks like a bigger and better version of McT, although hard to assess correctly because of the league he’s playing in.

Since we have a system and players used to having that kind of player, that means he and us would hopefully spend less time integrating him. Important signing now that McT is out. Hope its not just unfounded rumours.

Would be weird if Spurs signed him seeing they have lots of midfielders.
We have the same amount of midfielders as Spurs.

Spurs

Ndombele Dier Winks Sissoko Wanyama

Lo Celso, Erisken and Alli can all play in a three, which Mourinho very rarely does.

Man Utd

Pogba Fred McTominay Matic Garner

Pereira, Lingard and Mata can play in a three, which Ole very rarely does.

The quality remains to be seen, but both teams are well stocked regards quantity. Unfortunately for us, we've had injury after injury in that department, so it feels like we've got only a few midfielders but we haven't.

For any other team, especially those who play a double pivot like we do, four midfielders, with a academy product is enough.

I'm not too familiar with Soumaré. I've watched him a few times, but nowhere near enough to give an accurate assessment. However, I do think if Matic goes, (which seems to be the rumours) then we'll possibly bring Soumaré in.

theklr

Spurs

Lo Celso, Erisken and Alli can all play in a three, which Mourinho very rarely does.

Man Utd

The quality remains to be seen, but both teams are well stocked regards quantity. Unfortunately for us, we've had injury after injury in that department, so it feels like we've got only a few midfielders but we haven't.

For any other team, especially those who play a double pivot like we do, four midfielders, with a academy product is enough.

I'm not too familiar with Soumaré. I've watched him a few times, but nowhere near enough to give an accurate assessment. However, I do think if Matic goes, (which seems to be the rumours) then we'll possibly bring Soumaré in.
Yeah agree.

Think counting Garner in is a bit of a stretch though , seeing he has close to 0 PL experience and is quite young.

Jericholyte2

Spurs

Man Utd

My god, when you see it like that in black and white that lack of quality and depth is shocking!

Mark Pawelek

Does anybody have an idea of his passing ability. We need creative midfielders that can unlock low block teams. Can this guy do it?
He's a holding midfielder with very good passing. He's not known for goals, assists, key passes, ... Better, as in: more experienced holding midfielders are available for more money. Right now, I'd call him a BTEC Declan Rice; at a BTEC price. But still young enough to improve. His ceiling is higher. In his Champions League performances, he looks better than Rice. But for league performances you'd want Rice. Inconsistent is the word. Take only his best performances and he looks very good.

Last edited:

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's a holding midfielder with very good passing. He's not known for goals, assists, key passes, ... Better, as in: more experienced holding midfielders are available for more money. Right now, I'd call him a BTEC Declan Rice; at a BTEC price. But still young enough to improve. His ceiling is higher. In his Champions League performances, he looks better than Rice. But for league performances you'd want Rice. Inconsistent is the word. Take only his best performances and he looks very good.
From the YouTube highlights of Soumare I saw nothing to suggest he's a very good passer though that's why I'm concerned.

Also seems like you're the only one who rates Rice. How has he been this season

Adnan

Talent Spotter

"But England is viewed as Soumaré’s likely preferred destination, with two sides currently in serious contention. The first is Manchester United, who the player likes the idea of joining, especially should Paul Pogba depart. The second is Tottenham Hotspur, who are very much waiting on him for a decision. Any deal is expected to cost clubs €50m to €60m including bonuses"

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...nited-tottenham-all-in-for-boubakary-soumare/

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Seems promising. We definitely wouldn't sign him.
And neither should he sign for Spurs. Jose would expect him to hit the ground running, score a shed load of goals, not get into any Instagram promotion, play in goal if there’s an injury and basically bend the knee to king Jose

Mark Pawelek

"But England is viewed as Soumaré’s likely preferred destination, with two sides currently in serious contention. The first is Manchester United, who the player likes the idea of joining, especially should Paul Pogba depart. The second is Tottenham Hotspur, who are very much waiting on him for a decision. Any deal is expected to cost clubs €50m to €60m including bonuses"

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...nited-tottenham-all-in-for-boubakary-soumare/
Seen nothing to suggest he's a €50m to €60m player. There's a number of better, cheaper, South American's I'd prefer to him. This is a rip-off market.

Nickelodeon

And neither should he sign for Spurs. Jose would expect him to hit the ground running, score a shed load of goals, not get into any Instagram promotion, play in goal if there’s an injury and basically bend the knee to king Jose
Not really bothered about Jose. He seems to have identified N'Dombele as his Pogba at Spurs there. Plus his antics have already begun and its only his second month. No way are Spurs spending that kind of money on a midfielder so soon after N'Dombele.

Inigo Montoya

Seen nothing to suggest he's a €50m to €60m player. There's a number of better, cheaper, South American's I'd prefer to him. This is a rip-off market.
Cheaper and better? Where Utd are concerned there’s no such thing as ‘cheaper.’

Mark Pawelek

Cheaper and better? Where Utd are concerned there’s no such thing as ‘cheaper.’
He signed for Lille 2½ years ago on a free from PSG; where he was a promising prospect who sometimes played in youth internationals. Lille converted him from B2B to holding midfield; presumably because he wasn't a great success at B2B. Do United want to convert him back to a B2B? Despite achieving nothing in his career, Lille think he's worth €55m.

At least his injury record is good. I can't find any injuries. I suppose that alone explains the outrageous price quoted?

Bestietom

He signed for Lille 2½ years ago on a free from PSG; where he was a promising prospect who sometimes played in youth internationals. Lille converted him from B2B to holding midfield; presumably because he wasn't a great success at B2B. Do United want to convert him back to a B2B? Despite achieving nothing in his career, Lille think he's worth €55m.

At least his injury record is good. I can't find any injuries. I suppose that alone explains the outrageous price quoted?
Fosu played as a DM while with our academy. But most fans are brushing him off without trying him there again.

Mark Pawelek

Fosu played as a DM while with our academy. But most fans are brushing him off without trying him there again.
I have no problem playing TFM as a holding midfield provided he's fully recovered and can show it with 1 or 2 good performances at U-23 first. We can also play Jones at #6.

I think United see a potential Pogba replacement in Soumare; which explains the press links to Soumare, Anguissa, and Gedson Fernandes. Three young players known for dribbling from midfield.

LoCalXT

Hope we get him, I've followed him since academy days. Think Fred's motor but more physical and the potential of Pogba skill wise.
Even if he can be half of Pogba, his work rate and defensive awareness is far superior even right now.

Joseunited

That'll soon change if he signs for us.

SparkedIntoLife

This has the whiff of Nicolas Gaitan (and various others) type rumours designed to make a fairly run of the mill player seem like hot property in the hope he'll get a big move. I may well be wrong as haven't seen him much but, by most accounts, he's really nothing special.

nainaisson

This has the whiff of Nicolas Gaitan (and various others) type rumours designed to make a fairly run of the mill player seem like hot property in the hope he'll get a big move. I may well be wrong as haven't seen him much but, by most accounts, he's really nothing special.
Agreed. This is identical to the strategy Lille used to sell Pepe last summer: lie about the top clubs' interest in a player and hope a DoF is dumb enough to fall for it, which turned out to be Arsenal's.

Inigo Montoya

Agreed. This is identical to the strategy Lille used to sell Pepe last summer: lie about the top clubs' interest in a player and hope a DoF is dumb enough to fall for it, which turned out to be Arsenal's.
Pepe isn’t a bad player though, just hugely overpriced.

There’s no way we should overpay for Soumare.

Bondi77

I have no problem playing TFM as a holding midfield provided he's fully recovered and can show it with 1 or 2 good performances at U-23 first. We can also play Jones at #6.

I think United see a potential Pogba replacement in Soumare; which explains the press links to Soumare, Anguissa, and Gedson Fernandes. Three young players known for dribbling from midfield.
Soumare is by all accounts a DM so I struggle to see how he would be a replacement for Pogba more like a replacement for Matic.
Gedson Fernandes would possibly play in the same position as Pogba but the guy is young and I would say we will get him on loan as he is the cheapest option and that is where we seem to be at the moment.
Either way if both or one of the two come and want to be at the club then I would rather that then keep someone at the club who does not want to be here.

MrBest

Never seen him play, only youtube videos, but he looks good. Looks to me like a Kante more than a pogba. Seems to have a defensive engine on him. If we bought him, surely he would play DM with two b2b midfielders ahead of him, ideally Fred and Pogba. He is still young though and years away from any potential.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Never seen him play, only youtube videos, but he looks good. Looks to me like a Kante more than a pogba. Seems to have a defensive engine on him. If we bought him, surely he would play DM with two b2b midfielders ahead of him, ideally Fred and Pogba. He is still young though and years away from any potential.
He's definitely more Kante. I would describe him as a defensive box to box #8 with world class potential.

Red_toad

If you see a train with no brakes rushing toward you, do you stand there and await physical evidence or try to avoid it all together as you can make a judgement?

Guy couldn't get games at Fulham nor Palace in midfield or central defence when on loan, but lets try him at United, in a position he's not played for near half a decade. What could go wrong :smirk:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He looked pretty skillful on youtube. How's his work rate?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He looked pretty skillful on youtube. How's his work rate?
His work rate is excellent from what I've seen. He's the type of player that gives the more creative players the platform to excell. Still has things to learn being so young, but at 20 he's an absolute unit with pace and power in abundance.

croadyman

Would be nice if we could get him and a creative option. They don't have to cost the earth either but try telling our board that

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His work rate is excellent from what I've seen. He's the type of player that gives the more creative players the platform to excell. Still has things to learn being so young, but at 20 he's an absolute unit with pace and power in abundance.
Good to know. Agreed that a dedicated DM gives us option to have more creative CM.

I always think that the reason we didn't have many CL under Fergie was the lack of a dedicated DM option. A player whose main duty is to whack opponents off when near our box.

theklr

As many other signings , make too much sense. Dont think they are selling either.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Guess we'd need to sign a creative player then.

Ranchero

We need creativity and he is has no assists and no goals. A no-brainer for an idiot. And we seem to have a few upstairs at Old Trafford.

Is it too much to expect to strengthen in areas that desperately need strengthened?