Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It is better to be a little hypocritical while increasing net good than to be perfectly consistent at doing jack shit.
I've never advocating doing nothing though, atleast you've admitted it which has been hard for some.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He literally just posted a picture. If anything, he's highlighting the hypocrisy, which he's allowed to do.
"germany player protested in qatar by covering their mouths"

"yeah what about that time they silenced ozil"
The point could be:

"it is a shame German Football Association are hypocrites, hence untrustworthy which is bound to make their rightful pro-LGBT stance inaudible..."
The most important thing about it: it never happened as portrayed in the cartoon.

The cartoon's insinuation that "the West" (symbolized by the EU) has silenced Özil for speaking out over the persecution of the Uighurs is fiction. The takeaway that it was the DFB that did so (not actually explicated, but implicated by the cartoon) is just as false. The cartoon mixes up several incidents and puts them together in a wrong way:

1. The reason Özil came under heavy criticism in Germany was that he and Gündogan were promoting Erdogan in a photo OP in 2018, while Erdogan was doing an election campaign. A brief summary of events, the DFB's reaction, and the reasons why Özil subsequently quit the NT can be found on wikipedia. I'd say a message supporting the Uighurs would be largely accepted and rather popular in Germany.

2. It was Arsenal who shunned Özil over his social media message about the persecution of the Uighurs. This happened 1,5 years after the events described above, which means displaying Özil in a Germany NT shirt doesn't make any sense. Arsenal was reported to have business interests in China:
The club sought to limit any damage caused to its business in China, where it has numerous commercial interests including a chain of restaurants, by releasing a statement on Weibo – a leading Chinese social media site – as well as other platforms stressing it is apolitical and does not associate itself with Özil’s views.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-from-mesut-ozil-comments-china-uighur-people
Repercussions and censorship from Chinese state/media were reported afterwards.

3. In his IG message (I have to presume the translation is correct), Özil actually acknowledged the highlighting of China's treatment of the Uighurs "even in the Western media and states", but criticized the Muslim world for not doing the same. Yet the cartoon shows Özil being "silenced" by an "EU"-flagged hand, obviously standing for "the West".

This means: if the cartoon is aimed at the DFB, Özil would have to exclaim "Erdogan" there instead of "Uighurs". Doesn't really fly. If it's aimed at the pushback against Özil over his China/Uighurs message, it would have to be an "Arsenal" or "China" hand which silences him. Wouldn't really help delegitimising pro-LGBT protests in Qatar, as is the intention. So these incidents are recombined creatively to serve the purpose.

The cartoon uses alternative facts to push its talking point inside the online discourse. Reverse image search says it has seen some spread on social media, although I can't be arsed to find out how much. But it has made its way into the Caf, and judging by its reception, its messaging has worked pretty well.

Last edited:

JarkiJarko

Seems like Germany is the only country that's really boycotting the WC. Ratings are at historical lows and it's not even close either. Yesterday was - by a country mile - the least watched German game at at WC or Euro and other games aren't getting ratings either.
For comparison: the game with the overall worst ratings in Germany from last WC (Morocco - Iran) drew almost as many viewers as Germany's game Japan. To add to that it only had a bit more than half the viewership of what previously was the German game with worst viewership at a WC or Euro. Wow!

Pintu

The most important thing about it: it never happened as portrayed in the cartoon.

The cartoon's insinuation that "the West" (symbolized by the EU) has silenced Özil for speaking out over the persecution of the Uighurs is fiction. The takeaway that it was the DFB that did so (not actually explicated, but implicated by the cartoon) is just as false. The cartoon mixes up several incidents and puts them together in a wrong way:

1. The reason Özil came under heavy criticism in Germany was that he and Gündogan were promoting Erdogan in a photo OP in 2018, while Erdogan was doing an election campaign. A brief summary of events, the DFB's reaction, and the reasons why Özil subsequently quit the NT can be found on wikipedia. I'd say a message supporting the Uighurs would be largely accepted and rather popular in Germany.

2. It was Arsenal who shunned Özil over his social media message about the persecution of the Uighurs. This happened 1,5 years after the events described above, which means displaying Özil in a Germany NT shirt doesn't make any sense. Arsenal was reported to have business interests in China:

3. In his IG message (I have to presume the translation is correct), Özil actually acknowledged the highlighting of China's treatment of the Uighurs "even in the Western media and states", but criticized the Muslim world for not doing the same. Yet the cartoon shows Özil being "silenced" by an "EU"-flagged hand, obviously standing for "the West".

This means: if the cartoon is aimed at the DFB, Özil would have to exclaim "Erdogan" there instead of "Uighurs". Doesn't really fly. If it's aimed at the pushback against Özil over his China/Uighurs message, it would have to be an "Arsenal" or "China" hand which silences him. Wouldn't really help delegimitising pro-LGBT protests in Qatar, as is the intention. So these incidents are recombined creatively to serve the purpose.

The cartoon uses alternative facts to push its talking point inside the online discourse. Reverse image search says it has seen some spread on social media, although I can't be arsed to find out how much. But it has made its way into the Caf, and judging by its reception, its messaging has worked pretty well.
Ok.Your reading of the cartoon seems a little bit pedantic. In my view, Özil is depicted as talking about a variety of issues, including the Uighurs, the “…” suggests it’s not the only topic (Özil complained about being faced with some racism in the DBF).

Many in the western establishment (symbolized by the EU) do shut people up and are very quick with canceling and censorship when you speak against their interests. Arsenal is just one example, it would be rather misguided to target them in particular when we know that most football organizations and clubs are no free speech champions either…

I agree that the Uighurs subject in particular would be very welcome in Germany (because the perpetrator is not an ally). But we both know criticism against Apartheid practices by the Israeli regime on the other hand could be very costly…

Last edited:

Red Star One

This means: if the cartoon is aimed at the DFB, Özil would have to exclaim "Erdogan" there instead of "Uighurs". Doesn't really fly. If it's aimed at the pushback against Özil over his China/Uighurs message, it would have to be an "Arsenal" or "China" hand which silences him. Wouldn't really help delegimitising pro-LGBT protests in Qatar, as is the intention. So these incidents are recombined creatively to serve the purpose.

That’s a great breakdown but we’re at the stage where facts hardly matter hence popularity of such bullshit. People feeling obliged to hold extreme positions and falling for convenient fakes is topic for another discussion I guess

Pintu

That’s a great breakdown but we’re at the stage where facts hardly matter hence popularity of such bullshit. People feeling obliged to hold extreme positions and falling for convenient fakes is topic for another discussion I guess
is it an extreme position to demand that the self proclaimed human rights champions (in this case Europe footballing elite) not engage in censorship against other human rights issues?

Pintu

It is better to be a little hypocritical while increasing net good than to be perfectly consistent at doing jack shit.

That is the problem with the accusations that get called "whataboutism" here. When people here say "why don't you support this and not that?" they are not actually asking you to support this and that. They are just asking you to shut up.
That’s probably true for some. It’s definitely not my position. And not that of most here. I‘m happy to see the hypocrites Europeans shed some light on the abuses by Qatari regime (at least until there is a threat of a yellow card..). And I wish some of the other football association would be brave enough to speak up about European/Western war crimes (because let’s face it Europeans will not do it)… The gullibility of our public opinion here is shameful and we need it to be confronted every now and then.

Last edited:

Abizzz

is it an extreme position to demand that the self proclaimed human rights champions (in this case Europe footballing elite) not engage in censorship against other human rights issues?
What the feck?

MUnchies

This has nothing to do with people insulting players.

Argue with the post, don't attack the poster. It was just an opinion and I fail to see how he was being a 'fecking hypocrite'.

It's been used to death and its tricky when shouted into the ether, you made the mistake of directing it at somebody who was engaging in good faith and politely.
Understood

You didn’t just call him a hypocrite, you said ‘you’re all hypocrites’, which is very odd as you’re now generalising against what I’m guessing is anyone criticising qatar’s disgusting treatment of migrant workers or their pathetic, unjust treatment of gay people… which is a very odd and aggro stance for you to take.

I’d wind your neck in to be honest mate.
No! hypocrites as in the poster defending Keane and Keane himself. How you are trying to generalize it to include everyone so you can have your say is just attention seeking.
Don't tell me to wind my neck in and don't call me mate. Go away

I suppose he could have but he chose to do it in Qatar on national TV which might have a bit more impact. If he stayed in the UK I'm not sure what platform he would have been using to convey the same message.

This word is bandied about so much in these threads that I'm genuinely starting to wonder if some people don't actually understand what it means.
Keane could start his own podcast or sports show in UK and people will tune in and that's facts. He doesn't have to go Qatar to get his voice heard.

Again you haven't answered my question. Isn't Keane helping their economy by paying for flight, hotel, food etc? How is that not hypocrisy

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
All these protests by footballers/pundits are just for virtue signaling. If they really cared about all this stuff they wouldn't have come to play football in Qatar would they? And then you see comments on social media praising these acts. Like c'mon are you so easily brainwashed? All it does is to get some extra points with the woke social justice warriors.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Absolutely fantastic post, if I could add to your rep points I would.

Synco, the slayer of whataboutism.

Pickle85

All these protests by footballers/pundits are just for virtue signaling. If they really cared about all this stuff they wouldn't have come to play football in Qatar would they? And then you see comments on social media praising these acts. Like c'mon are you so easily brainwashed? All it does is to get some extra points with the woke social justice warriors.
Shudder

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Please tell us more about current or ongoing European/Western war crimes, @Pintu :nervous:
I guess civilian casualties in drone strikes might play into it. And selling weapons to Saudi Arabia in their campaign in Yemen. Of course we could back track to Iraq and Afghanistan and all that. Depends on how far back we want to go.

MUnchies

Mate, why does it bother you so much if a few pundits are critical of an oppressive regime…?

Will your posting history back up such a high level of ‘crusading against anything you deem minor hypocrisy’? I really hope so…

Otherwise people might easily have you down as a homophobic troll who steers threads off topic and is impolite when called on doing so.
OMG have you actually read my original post? I don't mind people criticizing pundits or whoever. Ofcourse inhumane activity against any human( boy, girl, black, white, gay, straight,disabled etc) is as bad as it can get.

I am criticizing Keane saying the world cup shouldn't be in Qatar but yet he is there helping their economy by paying for flight, hotel, food etc. If you don't like how they treat their people, don't go there simple as that. He could have refused to go there and made his voice heard in UK. Do you get it now?

If me saying that means I am in support of homophobia or any other mistreatment of people in Qatar then check yourself. Bye

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Which is 'the side' that poster agrees with? The one that doesn't approve of migrant worker rights abuses and human rights abuses? Are these things you disagree with? Otherwise, I'm not sure what side you're referring to.
Exactly what you should be asking him so we can understand where the whataboutism is occuring. Nobody is arguing for human rights abuses. Try following along next time.
Don't start crying pedantry because you're imprecise in your posting. Try harder. Whataboutism is a diversionary tactic and a cheap one at that. It's not an attempt to counter the substance of the points made against Qatar.
This isn't the debate club and it's not whataboutism. Learn what the word means.

Pickle85

Exactly what you should be asking him so we can understand where the whataboutism is occuring. Nobody is arguing for human rights abuses. Try following along next time.

This isn't the debate club and it's not whataboutism. Learn what the word means.
But I asked you, as you are the one who brought up 'sides' in this context, which seems dim and a massive oversimplification to me.

This isn't debate club, no. That said, your level of debate is, frankly, pretty pathetic. It seems to revolve largely around telling people they don't understand certain words (with no foundation for that) and desperately trying to patronize your way out of your dug in position.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

This is a sensible post and, to clarify, I was really defending his right to post without silly accusations of "whataboutism". I wasn't aware of the details. Compare what you posted to some of the useless responses to his post.

Fridge chutney

Then why the shitting crikey are you clearly more riled up about Keane using his platform to point these things out than you are about the things themselves? Think about that properly before going off any further.

Doesn’t that make YOU the hypocrite?

Also, you have absolutely no idea about what Keane or any pundit is doing with their wages (money from from ITV / BBC - NOT QATAR), for all you know the guy could be donating every penny to support migrant workers or persecuted gays in qatar.

Think on.
Well fecking said. It's one thing if someone called Rhyme Animal says anything on an internet forum about the issue. The reach and impacr is limited, in isolation.

Keane raising awareness and voicing his legitimate opinion, as a prominent football personality, is much more powerful.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
But I asked you, as you are the one who brought up 'sides' in this context, which seems dim and a massive oversimplification to me.
Because you aren't following along and just going on rants. I explained to him that nobody is saying Qatar good and Germany bad. I used the word "side" since he was implying it was a whataboutism (which requires an argument to be made mind you)

This isn't debate club, no. That said, your level of debate is, frankly, pretty pathetic. It seems to revolve largely around telling people they don't understand certain words (with no foundation for that) and desperately trying to patronize your way out of your dug in position.
No, I'm telling YOU directly you don't understand the word and it's pretty obvious. I explained already why it isn't whataboutism. I would advise following along with the thread or simply read the definition of the word. What dug-in position is that? You're just saying things.

The bolded gave me secondhand embarrassment for you. Bless.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
That's an impressively shit post, that manages to summarise a lot of the arguments made. Well done

Abizzz

That's an impressively shit post, that manages to summarise a lot of the arguments made. Well done
Yeah and I award him double points for the anti woke social justice warriors side.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whataboutism is a term used by primarily Western commentators to avoid accountability and signals Western fragility.
It’s also an appeal to hypocrisy as a device to obfuscate from answering the central topic, usually because one can’t defend the indefensible.

Pickle85

Because you aren't following along and just going on rants. I explained to him that nobody is saying Qatar good and Germany bad. I used the word "side" since he was implying it was a whataboutism (which requires an argument to be made mind you)

No, I'm telling YOU directly you don't understand the word and it's pretty obvious. I explained already why it isn't whataboutism. I would advise following along with the thread or simply read the definition of the word. What dug-in position is that? You're just saying things.

The bolded gave me secondhand embarrassment for you. Bless.
Just because you keep saying this, it doesn't make it true. You even say: 'But b/c we all understand the implications of the picture, we scream whataboutism'...so you acknowledge that the tacit implication is 'well what about this situation?' To make it really simple for you:

Whataboutism: the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.

Does that clear things up?! Or do you still not accept that posting that picture was raising a different issue?

I'd save your embarrassment on my behalf...the way you've been going in this thread you'll need it all for yourself.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How is it a shit post? Did you even see all the marketing about the qatar protests? And then nothing happened as soon as they got warned by FIFA

It's insane how easily people get brainwashed in this day and age.

Abizzz

How is it a shit post? Did you even see all the marketing about the qatar protests? And then nothing happened as soon as they got warned by FIFA

It's insane how easily people get brainwashed in this day and age.
3 points already.

You're on a roll.

Pintu

Please tell us more about current or ongoing European/Western war crimes, @Pintu :nervous:
Do you really need me to tell you about current/ongoing European participation and complicity in different war crimes and human rights abuses?

Abizzz

Do you really need me to tell you about current/ongoing European participation and complicity in different war crimes and human rights abuses?
Probably not but I still need you to tell me who proclaimed themselves human rights champion ?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Just because you keep saying this, it doesn't make it true. You even say: 'But b/c we all understand the implications of the picture, we scream whataboutism'...so you acknowledge that the tacit implication is 'well what about this situation?' To make it really simple for you:

Whataboutism: the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.

Does that clear things up?! Or do you still not accept that posting that picture was raising a different issue?

I'd save your embarrassment on my behalf...the way you've been going in this thread you'll need it all for yourself.
The implication as in the meaning of the picture (ie. what it implies). And you do realize one can express a tangential opinion that's not an argument, right? This isn't a difficult concept to understand.

Exactly what was the question or accusation he was responding to? I'll wait. Just admit you had no idea what the word meant so we can move on. It's ok to be wrong.

MUnchies

Then why the shitting crikey are you clearly more riled up about Keane using his platform to point these things out than you are about the things themselves? Think about that properly before going off any further.

Doesn’t that make YOU the hypocrite?

Also, you have absolutely no idea about what Keane or any pundit is doing with their wages (money from from ITV / BBC - NOT QATAR), for all you know the guy could be donating every penny to support migrant workers or persecuted gays in qatar.

Think on.
I am riled up? Ok. You don't make sense still but go on
Don't bother replying

Pintu

Probably not but I still need you to tell me who proclaimed themselves human rights champion ?
It’s a figure of speech but I meant the 7 associations from “the UEFA Working Group on Human and Labour Rights” that said they will make their captains wear One love armbands, until it become too risky. Yellow card risky for them to stand up for gay rights.

They said in their statement among other great things that “Human rights are universal and they apply everywhere”. We both know they don’t mean that. And now we’ve learned that even in the places where human rights apply (like in Qatar) they are not worth a yellow card.

Last edited:

MUnchies

Your entire ‘point’ is supposedly that you can’t stand the ‘hypocrisy’ of pundits voicing their dislike of the oppression of gays and free speech and the mistreatment of migrant workers.

Yet, you also claim that there’s ‘NOTHING WORSE than the oppression of minority groups’…

Thus, you are clearly being, at best, a hypocritical pedant, and, at worse, an obvious troll.

So, which is it? Which is more worthy of your ire?

A. Roy Keane for speaking against the behaviour of the qatar government, or

B. The behaviour of the qatar government?

Which bothers you more? A, or B?
Are you ignoring me saying my only issue is Keane being in Qatar himself saying the world cup shouldn't be there?
Keane could have been in UK and stated his disgust about Qatar just like many pundits are doing but you keep ignoring that. It's like you want me to be ok with Qatar's belief. Weird.

I have already stated my stance, you can play mental gymnastics to disagree with me. I know what I believe in

Abizzz

It’s a figure of speech but I meant the 7 associations from “the UEFA Working Group on Human and Labour Rights” that said they will make their captains wear One love armbands, until it become too risky. Yellow card risky for them to stand up for gay rights.

They said in their statement among other great things that “Human rights are universal and they apply everywhere”. We both know they don’t mean that. And now we’ve learned that even in the places where human rights apply (like in Qatar) they are not worth a yellow card.
First off thanks for the clarification.

I'll take your "figure of speech" as somehow meaning something else than what I understand it to mean then.

However on your last point, I don't know that. For me they are universal, they can only be impinged upon. That some people have their human rights impinged doesn't make them any less universal. The only ones I could possible exclude is any nation that declined to be part of the convention or abstained. However while I acknowledge this I don't respect it because I don't respect the regimes that decided to decline or abstain (i.e authoritarian countries).

Pickle85

The implication as in the meaning of the picture (ie. what it implies). And you do realize one can express a tangential opinion that's not an argument, right? This isn't a difficult concept to understand.

Exactly what was the question or accusation he was responding to? I'll wait. Just admit you had no idea what the word meant so we can move on. It's ok to be wrong.
Can you direct me to where I implied it was an argument, please? I'll wait. Or is that just a non sequitur.

The poster was clearly responding to the criticism directed by the German national team at the 'censoring'. Or do you think it was just a random cartoon that could have been posted in any thread?

Pintu

First off thanks for the clarification.

I'll take your "figure of speech" as somehow meaning something else than what I understand it to mean then.

However on your last point, I don't know that. For me they are universal, they can only be impinged upon. That some people have their human rights impinged doesn't make them any less universal. The only ones I could possible exclude is any nation that declined to be part of the convention or abstained. However while I acknowledge this I don't respect it because I don't respect the regimes that decided to decline or abstain (i.e authoritarian countries).
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I say, "They don't mean that". The "they" refers again to the 7 associations. I don't believe for one second that the aforementioned associations intend to speak up on human rights abuses when they participate in sporting events in other places. And I don't believe they are sincere about "labor rights" given the contracts they have with different brands that use modern slavery in the Asian sweatshops.

Abizzz

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. When I say, "They don't mean that". The "they" refers again to the 7 associations. I don't believe for one second that the aforementioned associations intend to speak up on human rights abuses when they participate in sporting events in other places. And I don't believe they are sincere about "labor rights" given the contracts they have with different brands that use modern slavery in the Asian sweatshops.
Again, thanks for the needed (on my part) clarification. And while I don't agree with your view I can at least understand it now.