Technique: Shaw​
Shooting: Shaw​
Dribbling: Shaw​
Aggression/tenacity: Williams​
-----​
Overall: Shaw​

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Shaws best form puts him amongst the top LBs in the league and that was true even when he was very young. When’s he unfit or unmotivated he’s pretty useless though and he’s on massive wages.

Williams coming in and playing out of his skin has seemingly made Shaw kick on again and It’s a nice problem to have. If anything were to happen to shaw I’d be happy to give Brandon the chance to seriously stake his claim and evaluate from there. He’s earned it but there’s not much more you can say about it right now. Just my opinion but for me laird is the standout WB at youth level and if Brandon can make such a big impression I’m thinking Laird (if he can stay fit) could do the same on the right soon enough. I was initially slightly against the signing of AWB because of Laird but in hindsight AWB is a total beast and I’m really glad we went for him. We should have an established international and a real top youth prospect fighting hard for every position in the first team. Youth doesn’t push on sell and repeat until you find the right player to eventually take over.

Last edited:

Member 113277

I don't see it as a binary choice, we have two established fullbacks and a promising third who can cover either side. Given the inevitable need to rotate in a full season (when that comes back) and injuries/suspensions, Williams will get plenty of game time to help him develop his full potential.

This is a healthy position.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
1) Shaw best form
2) Williams 19/20
3) Shaw laze form

At their best...
Attack: Shaw​
Defend: Shaw​
Passing: Shaw​
Technique: Shaw​
Shooting: Shaw​
Dribbling: Shaw​
Aggression/tenacity: Williams​
-----​
Overall: Shaw​
Shaw at his best is a top player. I rarely see that player to be honest. His first touch is very good and his physicality is great for a full back. What I commonly see from him is failing to beat his man in the final third, interrupting the tempo and fluidity of our attacking game, and most alarmingly, many times when teams break on us and he's out of position, he fails to bust a gut to get back into position.

Williams has all the hunger I do not see in Shaw. Ideally, I'd sell Shaw and buy a great full back and have Williams as his understudy. I guess we'll just continue with the two and hope either Shaw finds consistency and the right mental application, or that Williams goes from strength to strength.

I'd also suggest that Williams is the better dribbler and has a better shot on him, and much more useful in attack in the sense that he both goes for it, and tracks back pronto. But the sample size is admittedly small.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Shaw more experienced and overall better, but then again he gets injured and losing all his great attributes for a very long time which can be a huge letdown.

Williams looks tougher than Shaw will ever be and steadily improving without injuries so chances looking very good for Brandon.

Last edited:

Canadianred17

Someone on here called Brandon Williams "Baby Maldini". Joke of a player this guy.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He doesn’t make even one good overlapping run. Shaw does so many during a game even though the end result of a pass or a cross isn’t there.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Someone on here called Brandon Williams "Baby Maldini". Joke of a player this guy.
He's got lots to work on for sure and I don't agree with the premise of the thread, but luckily I've probably got pubes that are older than this lad. The jury's out but why not give him a chance?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Great opportunity to bump this thread. One game. How many times has Shaw been absolutely useless? Knowing how reckless Ole is managing injured players, he's probably still suffering the aftereffects of a concussion.

billybee99

Great opportunity to bump this thread. One game. How many times has Shaw been absolutely useless? Knowing how reckless Ole is managing injured players, he's probably still suffering the aftereffects of a concussion.
This thread has aged well. Good one. Genius.

DarkXaero

People would be calling for Shaw's head here if he put in a performance like Brandon Williams did today.

MiceOnMeth

These "someone vs someone" threads never go well do they. Mbappe vs rashford, would you swap martial for Messi etc.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He could be the only LB at the club and he still wouldn’t be our best LB option

spiriticon

We'll just have to wait for Shaw to have a stinker so this topic can be bumped again..

Although tbh Shaw is meh as a LB. LCB on the other hand, solid.

RedIan

We have definitely missed Shaw The last couple of games. Brandon is young And still much to learn, he had a stinker today but he has been MOTM at least twice this season. His day will come.

YooNow

Joke of a full back really. In a modern game where a full back is required to make overlapping runs and get balls in the box, Williams does neither. Just an outlet to receive balls to the flank, is all.

DevilRed

Mental that people on here are blaming a teenager for a poor performance after getting concussed less than a week ago.

Clearly Brandon sucked it up and played the 90 minutes whilst not fully ready.

Love a player like that. Willing to die for the shirt. OGS ran him into the ground today though.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's never shown anything but tenacity. That was an improvement on Shaw at his worst but clearly nowhere near good enough for where United need to be

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Young kid doesn’t have a great game. Shocker.

Some people have the patience of a Nat.
Who is Nat? Apologise if I don’t think a right footed left back who offers very little going forward and appears extremely naively defensively isn’t good enough.

He’s young, yes. He’ll improve with time, yes. Little evidence to suggest he’ll be good enough for us, though.

Who is Nat? Apologise if I don’t think a right footed left back who offers very little going forward and appears extremely naively defensively isn’t good enough.

He’s young, yes. He’ll improve with time, yes. Little evidence to suggest he’ll be good enough for us, though.
I’ve seen Enough from Williams to see that he’s going to be a decent player. Not everyone is a star from day one. Thankfully we as a club give players a chance. Players like Fletcher, Phil Neville, McT all didn’t set the world on fire at the start.

Just give people some time. It’s not as if the rest of the team played well is it.

Nick7

H
Mental that people on here are blaming a teenager for a poor performance after getting concussed less than a week ago.

Love a player like that. Willing to die for the shirt. OGS ran him into the ground today though.
He shouldn’t have played today. But I’ve never thought he was all that. He has a lot of heart, and runs a lot. But he’s not actually that great. His attacking runs are suspect and his defensive work is pretty poor.

This thread was stupid reactionary nonsense and deserves to be laughed at, not because of his poor performance today, but because of the ridiculous premise.

Idxomer

It was.

People severely underrate Shaw.
He's the most important member of our backline. He has both the football intelligence and the physique to go with it, he's been covering Maguire's mistakes constantly during our unbeaten run.

DevilRed

H

He shouldn’t have played today. But I’ve never thought he was all that. He has a lot of heart, and runs a lot. But he’s not actually that great. His attacking runs are suspect and his defensive work is pretty poor.

This thread was stupid reactionary nonsense and deserves to be laughed at, not because of his poor performance today, but because of the ridiculous premise.
In hindsight definitely shouldn't have played.

TFM was decent against palace. That should have continued.

Nonetheless, we were let down by our more experienced players and some untimely injuries yet again.

kitress

He wasn't concussed. Get that falsehood outta here.