Brandon Williams (out) - Ipswich, loan, option to buy

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Bet we're still paying over half his obscene wages.
I think someone said their highest earning player is on 10k/week so yes, we're almost certainly paying the vast majority of his wages.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Think this is the perfect example of why the club are now making quicker sale decisions on young players.
This. A couple years ago when he got a run in the first team, before we extended his contract, we could've probably gotten a decent fee for him.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think someone said their highest earning player is on 10k/week so yes, we're almost certainly paying the vast majority of his wages.
Yep, that was me- we have 2 players on more than 10k apparently, the rest lower. I wonder if there is some kind of loan fee too.

RedUnited86

Can see the way this is going to go.

We'll trigger his extension in the hope of receiving the transfer fee from Ipswich. They'll change their mind and we're lumbered with him for another 12 months.

mintyred

We'll trigger his extension in the hope of receiving the transfer fee from Ipswich. They'll change their mind and we're lumbered with him for another 12 months.
They won't buy him unless he drops his wages which is unlikely.

Gandalf

Well hopefully it will be done the smart way where it is all negotiated in advance. We did that with Chong and Levitt last summer, negotiated the transfers and had the players agree terms before triggering the option.

Onerealunited

This isn’t so bad a transfer as some suggest.

Whether we use the option or not depends on how he performs. If he has a spectacular season with Ipswich then we will and should of course activate the clause and let Ipswich or someone else pay to get him permanently… However, if he on the other hand has a season with limited to no games or performs so bad that his value decreases then of course the club won’t and shouldn’t activate his option in which case he’ll leave the club for free… so in all case a win-win situation for both the club and/or Ipswich

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
For those who know more about him than me; what position would he likely play if it’s not LB? That position is probably our least week position on the pitch. I’m guessing RB?

Mickson

For those who know more about him than me; what position would he likely play if it’s not LB? That position is probably our least week position on the pitch. I’m guessing RB?
RB or some sort of wing-back (on both sides). McKenna said he can play CB too but from what I've seen of Williams (couple of years in the academy and first-team too) I would say he can't.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He was a RB until Ethan Laird came through and he became a rampaging LB. He is comfortable both sides

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Good for him, get that value up Brandon.

Devil81

Weird one Williams, I thought he did well during all his appearances.

Yet he wasn't ever really well received. I hope he does well with his career.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Top player we should be looking at signing someone like him instead of that fraud Rashford #GGMU

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Top player we should be looking at signing someone like him instead of that fraud Rashford #GGMU
He plays with passion and doesn't get distracted by feeding kids. Sign him up! He did more in that run vs Preston than I saw from Rashford in all of last season.

GazTheLegend

Weird one Williams, I thought he did well during all his appearances.

Yet he wasn't ever really well received. I hope he does well with his career.
Saw him play live and he looked like a good player to me, never really understood why he didn't kick on at Man Utd. Was the one that impressed me the most in person, you sometimes get a vibe with a player live that you don't get watching on TV. I don't expect to see him back but it's a bit disappointing, because it's not like Dalot and Wan Bissaka have been anything special (and Williams never seemed to mind playing on the left either). Strange one.

Felt the same way about Henderson too to be honest.

lex talionis

Williams always looked a decent option at LB and I never understood the mistreatment he got from the club or abuse from club supporters. Maybe he’s another one who was shite in training, the old saw that gets wheeled out, but when given the chance to perform in competitive matches gave it 100% and showed some quality. More quality than Malacia, though I like the job Malacia did for us before he was felled with injury.

Idxomer

Let's not rewrite history, he hasn't played a good game for United since losing to Liverpool in early 2020.

It would be good if Ipswich takes the option to buy.

CallyRed

Now he has scored a goal I firmly believe we should have kept him

lsd

The Oracle
Now he has scored a goal I firmly believe we should have kept him

Crazy that Erik has never given him a chance and sent him on loan knowing we were struggling for fit full backs

SoCross

Happy to see him doing well. Our academy is incredible in that regard, so many graduates in the professional game.

crossy1686

career ending
Crazy that Erik has never given him a chance and sent him on loan knowing we were struggling for fit full backs
It’s not though is it? He has been poor for United because he lacks discipline and can’t defend. He also only played LB because Laird was a better RB than him despite him being a natural RB. So he would have been 3rd or 4th choice RB behind Dalot, AWB, maybe Lindelöf. He’s better off being on loan and getting games.

Red00012

No? The professional english leagues are littered with our graduates. They may not all make it here with us but they make it in football.
Our academy is to produce players for the 1st team not for League 1/2 clubs . We’ve won the youth cup twice in 20 years.

SoCross

Our academy is to produce players for the 1st team not for League 1/2 clubs . We’ve won the youth cup twice in 20 years.
Man, some of you just love negativity. The United academy has for years been the most productive in the country, with the most number of graduates playing across the English leagues. Standards are slipping as a whole across the club but it’s still good to see our graduates like Williams doing well in the game, at other clubs.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Our academy is to produce professional footballers (of which we’ve done more than any club) not win meaningless youth tournaments (which we’ve also done more than any club coincidentally).