Brands: JLINGZ, JJO, Fierce, AM9, JM8, Paul Pogba Collection

Loublaze

ATLien
Bullshit, utter bullshit. I don’t need see inside a guys head. I can see his level of commitment in his actions. Ya know, with my eyes!
Chances are he might even care about the club more than most of us do, being a lifelong United fan and growing up in Manchester.

Reddy Rederson

I really do not think you can question Lingard's effort on the pitch. You ca definitely question his quality but, not his effort.
And yet, I can and have. I’ve seen him more than once this season jogging up the middle of the field while Rashford is bombing up the wing on,y to get caught in possession because he has no options. Running around a lot means feck all when he slows down to a crawl when it’s time to put in a challenge and then ball watches. When was the last time him, or any of them looked bothered by a loss? Or a draw? They don’t, they shake hands, have a hug and laugh. That’s what a 100 grand a week buys? Not for me. The club, the fans, the sport deserves better. If he’s shit, he’s shit. Nothing he can do about that. I would say anything about him if he was just shit. Fellaini was shit, but he put in maximum effort. Can’t fault that at all. Lingard making countless pointless sprints means nothing, because they ultimately pointless runs.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think they're implying the perception this kind of behaviour brings. Sometimes it's not what it is that's important, it's what it looks like it is that takes priority.
I understand that, but it doesn't make it right to harshly criticize them in this manner IMO, they are still people with interests outside of football

Reddy Rederson

They’re contracted to train, play and commit to certain media. They do that. I assume they have bonuses for assists and goals etc, if they don’t achieve it then they don’t get bonuses. If the CL contract thing is true then they’ll be docked some money for that. To my knowledge no United player this season has breached the terms of their contract.

You give a player a bigger or better contract as a reward but they have no obligation to play amazingly, it’s just morally questionable. I do not think that players such as Rashford and Lingard aren’t trying though.
I didn’t say play amazingly, to the best of their ability, yes. 11 messis running around, no. 100 grand a week to jog around? I don’t think that’s contract in terms or spirit.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I didn’t say play amazingly, to the best of their ability, yes. 11 messis running around, no. 100 grand a week to jog around? I don’t think that’s contract in terms or spirit.
I think they do play to the best of their ability.

I think the problem is with the fans. What’s happened is that you’ve lived through an era where United were top quality on the pitch and wages were relatively low. You’ve suddenly started to get poorer during the time of the wage bill boom meaning that players that aren’t as good at all as this prior to the boom under SAF are getting big money due to the commercial success of United. Victims of your own past success so to speak. It also means that a bunch of United fans can’t think rationally as their mindset is of winning/dominance so to sit through this period is horrible and everything that the players do will trigger them.

Reddy Rederson

Chances are he might even care about the club more than most of us do, being a lifelong United fan and growing up in Manchester.
Funny way of showing it if it does. I’ve cared more about the contents of the toilet paper after wiping my arse than he appears to about the club. Actions say a lot. He puts in the effort, he can feck donkeys in high heels at weekends for all I care. We’ve seen him playing well under Jose, so where the feck did that effort level go? We saw him continue to play well for a few weeks under ole, where did that effort level go?

I look at our rivals and see the so called mercenaries of city giving everything for 90 minutes. Where’s that dedication to united? You say he’s manc and life long fan. Where’s the passion for the club, or even the sport? I don’t see it, not from him. All I see is this stupid jlingz pish. And I’m not even looking for it.

Loublaze

ATLien
Funny way of showing it if it does. I’ve cared more about the contents of the toilet paper after wiping my arse than he appears to about the club. Actions say a lot. He puts in the effort, he can feck donkeys in high heels at weekends for all I care. We’ve seen him playing well under Jose, so where the feck did that effort level go? We saw him continue to play well for a few weeks under ole, where did that effort level go?

I look at our rivals and see the so called mercenaries of city giving everything for 90 minutes. Where’s that dedication to united? You say he’s manc and life long fan. Where’s the passion for the club, or even the sport? I don’t see it, not from him. All I see is this stupid jlingz pish. And I’m not even looking for it.
All the points you're making can easily be made about the majority of the squad. You're just using his business interests to vent out your frustration. Lingard is not first team quality IMO but he's proved to be a good squad player these last few seasons. Besides his social media activity he's made numerous efforts to engage with fans on a personal level, many of which go unnoticed or seldom mentioned.

Coxy

Personally I find it pathetic, but hey maybe I’m old fashioned.

Are they footballers or models?

Reddy Rederson

I think they do play to the best of their ability.

I think the problem is with the fans. What’s happened is that you’ve lived through an era where United were top quality on the pitch and wages were relatively low. You’ve suddenly started to get poorer during the time of the wage bill boom meaning that players that aren’t as good at all as this prior to the boom under SAF are getting big money due to the commercial success of United. Victims of your own past success so to speak. It also means that a bunch of United fans can’t think rationally as their mindset is of winning/dominance so to sit through this period is horrible and everything that the players do will trigger them.
It’s so utterly disingenuous to call us spoiled. Lingard played well under Jose. He played well for a couple weeks under ole, now he’s back to ball watching and jogging around. I couldn’t care less about winning everything. I just want to enjoy a game. To watch my team try their best. If they fail, they fail. But to not even bother to try is inexcusable. This isn’t their level. They have and can play better than what they have over the past couple of months. It’s disgusting to watch mctomminy bust his arse while the so called stars fanny about doing tricks or just not bothering.

As for wages, don’t care how much you’re getting paid. Your paid to do the job to the best of your ability. You would stand for some guy in McDonald’s throwing a poorly made burger at you, why would you stand for poor service in any other profession? And I’ve now lost all interest in this conversation as I just watched Liverpool score two goals in as many minutes against Barca. What the actual feck?

Reddy Rederson

All the points you're making can easily be made about the majority of the squad. You're just using his business interests to vent out your frustration. Lingard is not first team quality IMO but he's proved to be a good squad player these last few seasons. Besides his social media activity he's made numerous efforts to engage with fans on a personal level, many of which go unnoticed or seldom mentioned.
And I’ve mentioned the other players in the squad.

Green_Red

It was problematic in terms of perception. Sir Alex quite reasonably didn't want one of his key players to be spending so much energy running off to Europe and around the UK for photo-shoots etc as he was a footballer first, model second.

It was also an issue of media attention - you can't complain of media intrusion as Becks and Victoria did when you re-invented your image after the World Cup debacle in France with the encouragement of your partner and that meant pushing yourself as a brand in tandem with your pop star partner. Becks also did photo sessions outside of the UK where he unauthorisedly used the England shirt for his own personal enrichment in product promotion - it's just the FA was too weak to haul him over the coals for it as he was St Beckham, English Captain at the time.

However, unlike all of the players pictured Becks had the character to continually produce on the pitch and keep his disagreements with Alex Ferguson muted until he wanted to go to Real Madrid and then had his publicists leaking stuff.
Sorry I meant for the fans.

ryansgirl

I think Jess L, Marcus and Anthony to name three do care about United. Especially Jess. He has a lot of local connections and correct me if I`m wrong but he does fit the mould of a fan who plays for the club.

I just think having your own brand as a pro sportsperson or entertainer or top flight whatever necessitates having the level of success to justify it. Jess should be concentrating on becoming that consistently excellent player whose brand is valuable precisely because it is based on what he does for a living.

The instability of Manchester United has knocked the stuffing out of some of the younger ones. Including Lukaka. Jose was good for his confidence and he expressed that publicly. I think with the right handling he will be much better as will the other three. Bailly, sorry I forget his first name, is another one. He does care - you can see it in his style of play when he is healthy. The younger lads have suffered from a lack of good leaders and role models in the team.

I think this is where Ole will do some of his best work.

Giggs86

Personally I find it pathetic, but hey maybe I’m old fashioned.

Are they footballers or models?
They're cnuts who don't give a shit about United, that's who they are. Being a model didn't have any impact on Beckham who gave everything he had for United every single game.

Giggs86

Our transformation into Arsenal is 99% complete. A bunch of 4th place trophy hunting, dressing room selfie taking, social media whores. When we play teams now it is men vs boys, only that we are the "boys" every fecking time.

thejtrain

You won't know until they start playing badly
Maybe I don't follow other clubs enough to comment, but our problem seems unique to me. For starters, you can only see this at a rich club, so that rules out majority of the clubs out there. With the rest, I have honestly never heard about this situation at all. In terms of player power, maybe Chelsea, Real, but that's about it.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think Jess L, Marcus and Anthony to name three do care about United. Especially Jess. He has a lot of local connections and correct me if I`m wrong but he does fit the mould of a fan who plays for the club.

I just think having your own brand as a pro sportsperson or entertainer or top flight whatever necessitates having the level of success to justify it. Jess should be concentrating on becoming that consistently excellent player whose brand is valuable precisely because it is based on what he does for a living.

The instability of Manchester United has knocked the stuffing out of some of the younger ones. Including Lukaka. Jose was good for his confidence and he expressed that publicly. I think with the right handling he will be much better as will the other three. Bailly, sorry I forget his first name, is another one. He does care - you can see it in his style of play when he is healthy. The younger lads have suffered from a lack of good leaders and role models in the team.

I think this is where Ole will do some of his best work.
You make some valid points but I personally don't see anything wrong with these players looking at the bigger picture beyond their short football careers. Michael Owen and Robbie Fowler were busy creating empires while their careers faded and no one cared, probably because they already had successful spells on the pitch and there wasn't much scrutiny and no social media back then. It still applies in this case IMO, but the optics don't go down well with some supporters

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Our transformation into Arsenal is 99% complete. A bunch of 4th place trophy hunting, dressing room selfie taking, social media whores. When we play teams now it is men vs boys, only that we are the "boys" every fecking time.
Even if that's true, the (bad) example is being set by those in charge: top 4 is all-important to the board. The decay seeps down from the top.

Boxing Clever

Supports
Southend United
Even if that's true, the (bad) example is being set by those in charge: top 4 is all-important to the board. The decay seeps down from the top.
Oh please. What makes you and others so convinced that Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs boards are so much more ambitious than your own? As far as I know, none of those have sacked a manager that finished in tbe top four since Ranieri. It's the same pot of gold for all boards and owners without a 'sugar daddy', and even with one, in Chelsea's case.

Yet United fans are so convinced that their board is so awful and so unambitious, and even more bizarrely some fans think that they don't spend enough. Please.

The board can't win. They had to make a decision on Ole before Molde's season started, and they would have been damn hell to pay with fans if they never appointed him.

Reactions: Sultan

Micky Targaryen

I keep seeing this Mata 1% thing, do people realise that's only £10 in every thousand he earns. .

If you think this is charitable giving you really need to assess your own. Borders on shameless self promotion to me. There's plenty of footballers who donate far more than 1% of their salary and don't feel the need to be recognised for it.

We've turned into the club that I thought City would turn into, but this is what happens when you lose strong characters like Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic and Scholes and don't replace them. The kids run the playground. That's partly why the amount of money we spend this summer is irrelevant to me, it's about bringing in the right characters and most of those would be nearing the end of their careers rather than at their peak.
Oh god.. only on Redcafe you will find people criticizing others for being charitable. Giving to charity is a noble act on its own, do you really need to find fault on how it's being done? How much are you donating? If you are indeed donating more than them, feel free to post on social media. In fact, giving publicity for Common Goal is the best way to reach out to all athletes around the world.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't like it. I never did. Now, with some people I can accept it. People who are top of their profession have something to say. Clowns don't. Focus on your game and have the hunger to improve your game and maybe then you won't be a clown. Until then, you are a clown and if you want to be a clown, leave.

It's not just the lack of hunger. It's the fact so very few players actually seem to improve from all the training they do. We don't see much evolution or trying new things. They live in a bubble.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I don't like it. I never did. Now, with some people I can accept it. People who are top of their profession have something to say. Clowns don't. Focus on your game and have the hunger to improve your game and maybe then you won't be a clown. Until then, you are a clown and if you want to be a clown, leave.
They are at the top of their profession.

crossy1686

career ending

It's not just the lack of hunger. It's the fact so very few players actually seem to improve from all the training they do. We don't see much evolution or trying new things. They live in a bubble.
Personally, I don't mind that they have outside ventures, it's probably a healthy escape and more productive than drinking and gambling. However, I don't understand the business sense it makes to own your own brand or clothing line when you're a footballer.

Football is tribal, if your own fans aren't going to buy your product, no one else is. Messi and Ronaldo almost transcend the tribal nature of football due to being perhaps the greatest footballers of all time but there are still fans out there who wouldn't be caught dead in a Messi or Ronaldo shirt due to club allegiances.

Zlatan's clothing line, that was just underwear, closed down last summer after losing £18m over two years. He's way more successful than the likes of Lingard, played all over the world and a god in Sweden, yet he can't shift clothes for love nor money.

You have to think that these guys are incredibly ill advised by shit agents seeing pound signs or their ego's are hugely inflated. Probably a mix of both...

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Personally, I don't mind that they have outside ventures, it's probably a healthy escape and more productive than drinking and gambling. However, I don't understand the business sense it makes to own your own brand or clothing line when you're a footballer.

Football is tribal, if your own fans aren't going to buy your product, no one else is. Messi and Ronaldo almost transcend the tribal nature of football due to being perhaps the greatest footballers of all time but there are still fans out there who wouldn't be caught dead in a Messi or Ronaldo shirt due to club allegiances.

Zlatan's clothing line, that was just underwear, closed down last summer after losing £18m over two years. He's way more successful than the likes of Lingard, played all over the world and a god in Sweden, yet he can't shift clothes for love nor money.

You have to think that these guys are incredibly ill advised by shit agents seeing pound signs or their ego's are hugely inflated. Probably a mix of both...
Lot of hangers on in football and a lot of mates saying they have a great idea, let's start a business to these guys

schmeical'sreusch

It's cringe-worthy stuff. But in their defence professional footballers have a LOT of spare time. I remember Ashley Cole saying how bored he would get after training every day. Spent most of it on his PlayStation. (I'm assuming that's before he started dating Cheryl...) So in that regard it's understandable they need other things to do, and with their potentially limited skills/education, this kind of venture is maybe all they can realistically get going.

SteveJ

Scout
Oh please. What makes you and others so convinced that Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs boards are so much more ambitious than your own? As far as I know, none of those have sacked a manager that finished in tbe top four since Ranieri. It's the same pot of gold for all boards and owners without a 'sugar daddy', and even with one, in Chelsea's case.

Yet United fans are so convinced that their board is so awful and so unambitious, and even more bizarrely some fans think that they don't spend enough. Please.

The board can't win. They had to make a decision on Ole before Molde's season started, and they would have been damn hell to pay with fans if they never appointed him.
Um...I didn't mention other clubs' boards, nor was I referring to Ole & his employment.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
A short career becomes a very costly career if you're on the bench at Stoke and are £18m in debt from your failed clothing line.
I remember the secret footballer (Dave Kitson) confirming although £10k per week sounds a lot, he had a £20k per month mortgage. (In Stoke!).

Easy to burn through it.

EireRed_GS

I think is one of the fundamental problems in our club. This 'marketing being prioritised before everything else' thing drives me mad.. It's no coincidence you don't see it too much at any other club, and you can see the difference in attitude and approach to our games. No wonder some of these lads think they are the finished article.. The club should not be playing up to and promoting their stupid brands so much.. Because it seems this is just more important now to them.

United need to have a long look at their priorities..
-stop promoting them like they are rappers/ fashion icons and not footballers.. you do that enough and they think thats whats most important.
-Stop with the ridiculous promo videos when signing someone, whether its playing a fckin piano, or like a grime music video of some muppet dabbing
- This one is prob on Sky rather than Utd, ..but i really hate the sky sports line up graphics before the games, when it shows our lads, they are posing like they are in a rap magazine rather than for a football team.. either way, Ole should put an end to it, the old classic Keano stance only :D.
- The players should have to run it past the club before launching fashion/aftershave etc during the season. launching your clothing range after getting hammered by a rival whilst you played absolute sh*te is just bad timing and idiotic.

any others i'm missing?

crossy1686

career ending
It's cringe-worthy stuff. But in their defence professional footballers have a LOT of spare time. I remember Ashley Cole saying how bored he would get after training every day. Spent most of it on his PlayStation. (I'm assuming that's before he started dating Cheryl...) So in that regard it's understandable they need other things to do, and with their potentially limited skills/education, this kind of venture is maybe all they can realistically get going.
fecking hell, read a book, learn to paint or play piano, go to a fan meet-up. Do something productive instead of listening to marketing men talking about how rich you're going to make them.

Ibrahimorich

Why should it? I assume because they make a lot of money? What constitutes total dedication? They honour the contract that their given and technically 'totally' dedicate themselves to that. What they do out of that contract does not break their dedication to it.
Because they're supposed to be competitive, world class athletes, playing for a club which regards itself as one of the biggest and best in the world. People who only "turn up and technically fulfil their contractual obligations" need not apply. It's like the difference between the army and the marines or the SAS. The best of the best. They're paid a lot of money, precisely so they can focus completely. That's what it's supposed to be a reward for. There's athletes out there training for the Olympics etc who get paid a pittance compared to this lot and I'll guarantee are way more dedicated.

Of course your outside activities can be a distraction to your work and especially physical and mental training. You're deluded if you think otherwise.

humdinger

I don’t care about it but I think they’re pretty deluded for thinking people will want buy their stuff just because it has their name on it. Beckham was an international icon, primarily due to how successful he was and his spectacular goals, becoming England captain etc. Our players seem to think that just playing for us means they’ll be put on a similar pedestal by fans even if they aren’t producing the goods on the pitch.

SteveJ

Scout
I don’t care about it but I think they’re pretty deluded for thinking people will want buy their stuff just because it has their name on it. Beckham was an international icon, primarily due to how successful he was and his spectacular goals, becoming England captain etc. Our players seem to think that just playing for us means they’ll be put on a similar pedestal by fans even if they aren’t producing the goods on the pitch.
It partly depends on the quality and aesthetics. For instance, I thought Zlatan's clothing line was pretty uninspiring, whereas I buy David Beckham Instinct deodorant because I like the smell; nothing to do with whose name is on the product.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
They're not deluded because that's how our weird world can work at times.
People with no particular talents manage to build some impressive income via social networking

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

JLings should retire from football so he can focus on rebuilding his clothing brand.