Television Breaking Bad

Dominos

People will be disappointed because they were expecting something mental to happen.
I think it ended how most people were expecting surely? He machine gunned the Nazis, Jesse got revenge on Todd and Walt died.

Really surprised people are lamenting the fact Walt didn't have big showdowns or heart to hearts with Skyler or Jesse. They've had endless screaming arguments in both relationships and there was nothing more to be said. For me the two most moving scenes were Walt saying goodbye to Holly and Skyler's reaction in the background, and the nods of acknowledgement that Jesse and Walt shared in the car park before Jesse drove off to freedom. In both scenes the grief, lingering affection and the weight of the horrible, unique situations they've been through were conveyed, with the acknowledgement that it was the end for Walt and the start of a different life for each of them with him no longer in it. I thought they were brilliantly pointed scenes and for me, any huge heart to hearts or confess alls with every character attempting to voice such a complex set of emotions and thoughts would merely have demeaned the episode and the subtlty of the show.
There could have been a lot more to be said if the writers felt the need. They never had the chance to discuss Brock or Jane, Walt never got the chance to express either his remorse or lack of it to Jesse, they never got in to Jesse working with DEA, and there is tons more that could have been said, even if it wasn't specific. As for the rest, I simply disagree, the ending would have felt more fulfilling for me if the shows 2 main characters had exchanged more than a simple look, before parting ways.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Their relationship was long since broken beyond repair. As has already been said, the lack of emotion spoke louder than anything else could have.

Walt telling Skyler he did it all for himself and that all the money was gone was also a pretty powerful act of self sacrifice - he made sure his wife thought as little of him as possible before he died so that she'd accept the money when it came to Junior. Then him saying goodbye to Holly.

The whole episode was done brilliantly for me. The epic showpiece some people seem have been hoping for was done 2 episodes ago. This was the closure to the show.

JohnLocke

Been thinking about the finale since watching it, and think I am of the opinion that it was a bit too straightforward and I would have liked some kind of twist in end. Just something to give a holy shit moment, but it wasn't that at all.

It was very good overall and there were some good scenes in the last couple of episodes, and I know it could be argued that at least all the loose ends were tied up and there are very few questions remaing, but I would have liked them to take a bit of risk at the end and went for something more profound.

The end of a series can make or break its legacy, but I don't think the end of BB did anything to enhance or lessen its reputation.

9/10 overall as it was excellent, and I'm a fussy cnut.

Agent Red

Good post Agent. Spot on

Did you get a sense of mixed emotions in Jesse's scream as he drove off? Total heartbreak and joy mixed into one.

If they were meant to convey that, he did it very well
Jesse I got more of a sense of sheer adrenaline fuelled, maniacal elation. But obviously in his case the assumption has to be that that will quickly subside into utter heartbreak, as you say. The minute he's alone he has to deal with the fact Andrea's been murdered, he's been kept as a slave for months, is responsible for the murders of several people (directly or indirectly) and that the one person who has a shadow of understanding of what he's been through is now gone. On the surface of things he's young and free to do as he wishes, but it's very hard to imagine him having a happy life once that initial elation has gone.

Skyler I thought was more interesting. After saying goodbye to Holly, the looks Skyler and Walt share before he leaves the room and the way Skyler clenches her fist after he's walked out, as though part of her had wanted him to say goodbye to her as well, I thought was very intersting. To me it showed that no matter how much he'd done, how she'd accepted he was no longer the man she loved and that for him to die was the best outcome, part of her still held affection for him and wanted him to reach to her in that moment.

In both cases I think they still either saw glimmers of the old Walt or felt that the memories were still strong enough that they could remember he was once a good man.

Hmm, hard to explain any of this without sounding like a wanker really...

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Watched most of it again, never realised Walt could be seen in the coffee shop before Lydia arrived. I know obviously he had to have been to get the ricin deployed, but the 1st time I noticed him 1st time around was when he sat at their table.

Oggmonster

Watched most of it again, never realised Walt could be seen in the coffee shop before Lydia arrived. I know obviously he had to have been to get the ricin deployed, but the 1st time I noticed him 1st time around was when he sat at their table.

I was the same! Didn't notice him at all until he turns to the table, watched it back and it's blatantly obvious to, the camera is pretty much focused on him.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah dunno how some people didn't see him. Noticed him straight away.

Kinky Melinky

I was quite surprised by some people who never realized the Ricin poisoning until right at the end when Walt talked to her on the phone and asked her how she was feeling, flu symptoms etc. You could tell by the camera angle that she had just dropped Ricin into her own herbal tea.

Lovely move and good riddance. She was way out of her depth with the whole meth thing

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
She was hot though, I totally would... sans ricin poisoning of course.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Was just looking at Aaron Paul's timeline on twitter and R.J.Mitte's account popped up in the 'who to follow' section, his tagline made me chuckle:

"I'm RJ aka Walt Jr. aka Flynn aka your favorite breakfast eater on@BreakingBad_AMC"

vuc

First Team Serb
We need to keep this thread going on and on despite the end of the show. It's great to hear so much debate about one of the best shows ever.

I know it was a couple of episodes ago but I thought that the old dude who 'hid' Walt was a cnut for asking for $10,000 to sit with Walt for an hour after all the money he already gave the guy. I would have made him play 52 card pickup in the snow.

Agent Red

Guessing you mean season, not series?

Have people been calling for big heart to hearts? Not seen that myself.

For me I would have liked to see more to the scene with Jesse, that doesn't mean reconciliation as I said above.. Just something a bit more than what we got. The relationship between Walt and Jesse was the heart of the show and it barely got any screen time.
Yeah well I got the impression from Dominos posts (above) and also his post below that he would have liked more from each of these encounters, as he described the Walt/Skyler final scene as 'half baked'. Personally I felt the lack of words in both scenes was right as it symbolised the understanding between the two. In Skyler's case, this whole series has been one of a quiet understanding between them that is testament to how well they know each other from their years of marriage. When Walt did his false phone call to Skylar with the police listening, it was clear she understood what he was doing and the motivation behind it, and I felt again with their final scene, they didn't need to say anyting beyond Walt's confession that he did it for himself, because all the other things he could have said he knew Skylar already understood, and in return Walt understood Skylar's feelings towards him now.

Jesse I think there's more of a case for extended dialogue, but again to me, how they ended it felt right. Jesse is completely broken from the past couple of years and his time as a slave with the Nazis. But what is a further exchange going to show? They know what they've been through together and they know that they've both betrayed each other, something they never would have done earlier in the show. Over the past couple of seasons we've seen them move apart, separated by Jesse's morality and Walt's plunge into darker and darker depths. Jesse knows Walt is dying, he's made his anger clear in their past exchanges, in his willingness to rat Walt out to the DEA. And equally I think that despite this anger, there's still a level in Jesse where he remembers who Walt used to be, and is grateful to him for freeing him for the Nazis, an act that fits with the Mr. White he knew and liked, rather than the Heisenberg he despised. As with Skyler, I think their relationship was developed enough that they didn't need to say everything they felt out loud, because it was understood in those silent exchanges. I think Jesse's lingering morality and affection for Walt meant that it was enough for him that Walt was going to die, without him feeling the need to hurt him or have it out before Walt finally went.

There could have been a lot more to be said if the writers felt the need. They never had the chance to discuss Brock or Jane, Walt never got the chance to express either his remorse or lack of it to Jesse, they never got in to Jesse working with DEA, and there is tons more that could have been said, even if it wasn't specific. As for the rest, I simply disagree, the ending would have felt more fulfilling for me if the shows 2 main characters had exchanged more than a simple look, before parting ways.
Yeah, they could have said a lot more, but as explained above, I personally preferred that they didn't say it and left it to be conveyed silently. There would be no conclusion to the conversations about Brock or Jane, Jesse would have found these actions unforgivable no matter what Walt had said, and Walt knows there is no significant explanation he can provide that will alter things in any way. For me both characters understood this and Walt also understood why Jesse went to the DEA. Personally I liked it being understated, but can completely understand others didn't - it's just personal preference.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Don't have a problem with the silent nod at all but like I said earlier in the thread I definitely think they ran out of ideas with what to do with Jesse this season.

We basically had a revisit of the slightly tedious post traumatic stress breakdown which followed on from him shooting Gael.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Everyone has cool surnames in the BB world.

Boetticher, Ehrmantraut, Rodarte-Quayle, Alquist, Fring, Schrader, White, Pinkman, Goodman, Babineaux, Kuby.

Kinky Melinky

The camera angle when Jesse drove off was quite cool. For a split second there's a possibility he's going to run over Walt

Agent Red

Don't have a problem with the silent nod at all but like I said earlier in the thread I definitely think they ran out of ideas with what to do with Jesse this season.

We basically had a revisit of the slightly tedious post traumatic stress breakdown which followed on from him shooting Gael.
Yes I think that's fair. To me that's more about not enough Jesse on his own this series rather than I felt the Walt/Jesse finale wasn't right.

Zen

I remember hearing about a 3 minute alternate ending being a DVD set extra or something, how long before that's on youtube?

Probably like 2 days before the DVD hits shelves.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I just watched the final 2 episodes, decided to save them to watch at the same time and only just got the chance. I'm saddened that its finally over but happy that Jesse got to escape. You have to say, he's the character that's gone through the most shit from start to finish.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Just watched it, thought it was a great ending to probably the best TV show I've ever seen.

I'll fecking miss this.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The Jesse love-in from fans is probably the one aspect of the show I find hardest to stomach.

"Oh, Jesse deserves that ending."

What shite. He was trying to stitch up Walt and sell him down the river, despite him being guilty of some hideous crimes himself. His treatment at the hands of the Nazis wasn't nice, but for him to sail away into the sunset wasn't a satisfactory ending for him, for me.

Genius Me!

Rewatched the scene in the diner, really couldn't see it at the time but sometimes you have to rewatch things in breaking bad to realise how excellent it is.

But how did he get the ricin in the closed packet?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Feel a little empty after watching it, didn't quite live up to the billing of prior episodes but no doubt for me, the best TV show I've watched in terms of enjoyment. It is easy to say the last episode could've been better but what else could they have done in terms of an ending - farewell breaking bad :(

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I remember hearing about a 3 minute alternate ending being a DVD set extra or something, how long before that's on youtube?
Knowing what this cast are like I suspect it'll be a piss take ending rather than a serious alternative. Sounds like the writers wrapped it up pretty much how they wanted to.

As it's only 3 minutes it's probably only the Jesse/Walt bit that they tinker with if they did have a genuine alternative. Maybe they speak to each other?

The Jesse love-in from fans is probably the one aspect of the show I find hardest to stomach.

What shite. He was trying to stitch up Walt and sell him down the river, despite him being guilty of some hideous crimes himself. His treatment at the hands of the Nazis wasn't nice, but for him to sail away into the sunset wasn't a satisfactory ending for him, for me.
You think that was a good ending for him? He's fecked imo. I see an overdose in his near future.

Rewatched the scene in the diner, really couldn't see it at the time but sometimes you have to rewatch things in breaking bad to realise how excellent it is.

But how did he get the ricin in the closed packet?

Don't go there GM.

Genius Me!

Just reading through, I see you've already gone there cass.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
We're gonna run out of things to say about this show and the thread will slip away like Walts meth empire. Surely terrestrial tv has to put this on at some point?

Oh here's the end of Mr Magoriums Wonder Emporium (spoilers obviously)....

Goooose

Jesse is the only character in the show that really showed any remorse for the terrible things he's done. He starts out as this aimless kid who just gets manipulated time and time again. If anyone in the show deserved a happy ending, it was Jesse.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Jesse is the only character in the show that really showed any remorse for the terrible things he's done. He starts out as this aimless kid who just gets manipulated time and time again. If anyone in the show deserved a happy ending, it was Jesse.

While he showed remorse for what he did though, he still did them and while he's certainly not as bad a person as Walt, he was still a criminal and did some shocking things. I'd say someone like Hank was much more deserving of a happy ending than Jesse was.

Plus, like has been said, he escaped but it's not really a happy ending. With the torment he'll have experienced throughout what's happened, as well as the guilt he'll feel, I could see him turning back to drugs soon and falling down the same path again. Hopefully not though.

Goooose

Happy-ish. My point was that Jesse was only ever doing terrible things for someone else, not himself. Every other character has selfish motives.

Adebesi

Been thinking about the finale since watching it, and think I am of the opinion that it was a bit too straightforward and I would have liked some kind of twist in end. Just something to give a holy shit moment, but it wasn't that at all.

It was very good overall and there were some good scenes in the last couple of episodes, and I know it could be argued that at least all the loose ends were tied up and there are very few questions remaing, but I would have liked them to take a bit of risk at the end and went for something more profound.

The end of a series can make or break its legacy, but I don't think the end of BB did anything to enhance or lessen its reputation.

9/10 overall as it was excellent, and I'm a fussy cnut.
A very fair assessment I'd say.

Jesse I got more of a sense of sheer adrenaline fuelled, maniacal elation. But obviously in his case the assumption has to be that that will quickly subside into utter heartbreak, as you say. The minute he's alone he has to deal with the fact Andrea's been murdered, he's been kept as a slave for months, is responsible for the murders of several people (directly or indirectly) and that the one person who has a shadow of understanding of what he's been through is now gone. On the surface of things he's young and free to do as he wishes, but it's very hard to imagine him having a happy life once that initial elation has gone.

Skyler I thought was more interesting. After saying goodbye to Holly, the looks Skyler and Walt share before he leaves the room and the way Skyler clenches her fist after he's walked out, as though part of her had wanted him to say goodbye to her as well, I thought was very intersting. To me it showed that no matter how much he'd done, how she'd accepted he was no longer the man she loved and that for him to die was the best outcome, part of her still held affection for him and wanted him to reach to her in that moment.

In both cases I think they still either saw glimmers of the old Walt or felt that the memories were still strong enough that they could remember he was once a good man.

Hmm, hard to explain any of this without sounding like a wanker really...
Despite the fact she hated him, she realised a very small part of her still loved him.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Watched a the episodes at once. The last episode was predictable but still great viewing. We knew Walt would die and he would clean things up before he did. There was not much left to do honestly.

Some great moments.

Isaac 'Hank' Schrater's death was a great one. Walt's emotion when he was killed poured through the screen, that was Cranston at his best. Todd was an interesting character I always felt he had the potential to betray his uncle and the others, almost like he wasn't as sadistic, but he just went about his job in a different way. That poor kid who's mother he killed. Jesse will most likely look after the kid. Would have been great to her Jesse and Walt have it out they hadn't really spoken one on one all season. Walt loved him though.....