Television Breaking Bad

Drainy

They killed a woman on her front doorstep, without wearing anything to prevent potential witnesses from identifying them. I think it's fair to say they weren't exactly careful

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
True. They were the sort of guys who were going to slip up eventually and generally probably weren't as difficult to outsmart as Gus was.
Yeah, you needed to be clever to outwit Gus. Whereas the nazis were more about muscle and numbers, rather than intelligence of operations.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Very good final episode to a show which can now go down as one of the all-time greats. It was perhaps a bit predictable at times, but I'd rather slightly predictable as opposed to being different for the sake of being different and it not working out.

I guess that's a fair point. A damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario if ever there was one. They chose a safe, tidy and satisfying ending and you can't begrudge them that. Now I've pondered on it for a bit it makes the most sense.

The guy who plays Elliot was a bit shit though. I won't cede on that.

Scrumpet

There are no words
So no one else was completely lost about how Walt's phone call to get Gretchen and Elliot's address worked? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Let's be honest if he was quite happy to die then a big feck off bomb in the boot makes more sense than a motorized sentry gun. But it's not as cool and doesn't allow Jesse to strangle Todd or for him to have the last say with Jack and Lydia.

OneUnited24

So no one else was completely lost about how Walt's phone call to get Gretchen and Elliot's address worked? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
He pretended to be a reporter to attach a photo of them to a fake story he "wrote" about them

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Let's be honest if he was quite happy to die then a big feck off bomb in the boot makes more sense than a motorized sentry gun. But it's not as cool and doesn't allow Jesse to strangle Todd or for him to have the last say with Jack and Lydia.

Caught in two minds as to whether fulminated Mercury would've gone down nicely or whether it would've been too samey. The gun thing didn't cut it for me as a plan; they could've been scattered all over the facility in different rooms, there could've been guys outside the gate, the car could've been checked...didn't seem very Walter White-ish in terms of its planning.

Scrumpet

There are no words
He pretended to be a reporter to attach a photo of them to a fake story he "wrote" about them

Sure, but why did it work?

-This is David Lynn from the New York Times, may I speak to Susan?
-Hi Susan, it's David again.....
Who is Susan? Does Susan know David? Does Walt know Susan knows David? Why is Walt saying he phoned Susan before as David? I think I'm having a breakdown.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Thing is, why isn't carelessness allowed? People are careless all the time. Heck, Walt was careless when he got so caught up with the idea of his money being found by Jesse and he's a frickin genius. The nAzis were always brutal and gung-ho but a bit rash and sloppy for me. They enjoyed their lifestyle a bit too much rather than being perfectly organised.
I'm not saying it's not allowed, I'm saying I found it stupid. There have been many other stupid moments in the show.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Let's just assume that Walt rang Susan (who is Gretchen and Elliots secretary/P.A./general dogsbody) earlier posing as David and this was his follow up call.

It'd probably work better if he called initially to propose an article and then rang back later for the address rather than just ask for it outright.

Does that work for you Scrumpet?

Ivor Ballokov

I've been in work so this may have already been posted but my mate sent me a link to this

When the Breaking Bad Finale title was revealed as “Felina,” there were a lot of theories about what it could mean. The simplest explanation was that it was an anagram for finale. Another more complex explanation tied the letters Fe to Iron, Li to Lithium, and Na to Sodium to arrive at the message Blood, Meth, and Tears. Iron being the dominant chemical in blood, lithium being the most commonly used metal in the manufacture of meth, and sodium being a major element in tears.

However, the true meaning of the Felina title appears to have been the Marty Robbins’ song El Paso. When Walter White is rummaging through the glove compartment of a stolen car, a Marty Robbins’ cassette tape falls out. When he finds the keys and drives off in the car, the song El Paso starts playing.
The lyrics of El Paso are about a gunfighter who falls in love with a Mexican girl named Felina. Near the end of the song, the gunfighter gets in shootout, where he gets struck in the side by a bullet. At the end of the song, the gunfighter lays dying, while Felina kneels by his side. If you listen to the full song below, then you will notice that several lines of the song could be interpreted as laying out what happens in the Breaking Bad finale.

Depth

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Arguably positive: It was brilliant.

Arguably not so positive: It's ended, and I kinda dont feel there was enough of a climax slightly. Also, I miss Jesse.

kps88

Who is Susan? Does Susan know David? Does Walt know Susan knows David? Why is Walt saying he phoned Susan before as David? I think I'm having a breakdown.

:lol:

Maybe Walt is familiar with Grey Matter/the Schwartzs and knows Susan is their long time secretary.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Definitely not as cool. It would also have been nice if some redshirts had come running at the "clubhouse" at the end, just for Jesse and Walt to pick off.

LARulz

That scene where he's at Gretchen's house and gets the two lazers pointed on them was quality, I was even happier it turned out to be Badger and Skinny Pete with lazer pointers.

The actor who plays Jack kind of ruined it in terms of he basically said he'll die in an interview recently by saying he doesn't know how it ends and they had the choice of just seeing the scenes they were in or the whole thing. He chose just his scenes. But we all knew Walt was going to get them.

Couple questions, what happens to all the money now? And, if Walt never got shot and Jesse doesn't shoot him (which I can't tell if he knew he wouldn't or Jesse just took pity on him with him already being shot), would Walt have killed himself or let himself be arrested?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I guess that's a fair point. A damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario if ever there was one. They chose a safe, tidy and satisfying ending and you can't begrudge them that. Now I've pondered on it for a bit it makes the most sense.

The guy who plays Elliot was a bit shit though. I won't cede on that.

Yeah he was in all fairness. I always thought throughout the series that Elliot and Gretchen should have perhaps been involved considering how much their business influenced Walt and his actions, but the guy playing Elliot wasn't good at all. Still didn't stop it from being a very good scene though.

Liam147

On Probation
Not sure if this has been already mentioned, but why did Walt want Jesse to shoot him? Was it because he thought killing him would help Jesse? Or because it would haunt Jesse and maybe get him in further trouble? Or did he just want a quick end at that stage?
For me it's about his way of letting Jesse have one back. Walt threw him to the floor, and I think Jesse knew what was going on. There seemed to be a look as if to say "Follow my lead". Then when it was all done, Walt could've killed Jesse, but instead, knowing he'd die regardless, gave Jesse the chance to do it. Jesse wouldn't have felt worse for it, as he was dying anyway, but at least he could've given him the final bullet.

I'm sad that it's over. I'm sad that Walt's dead, and I'm said that we'll never find out what was next for Jesse. Does he look after Brock? Does he go back to doing drugs with Badger and Skinny Pete? Does he get back into the business? Does his life just tail off? That was the only thing I really wanted answering.

Another bit of Walt taking characteristics off people he has killed, did anyone think the way he spoke to Elliot was just like Mike?

The calmess with which he said "If you're going to go down that route, you're going to need a bigger knife" was just like him, he had that tone to his voice that it's all very tiresome and he's in control here.
Yes! I was too busy with the scene that I didn't think of that, but in the back of my mind it struck a chord as if to say "That wasn't quite right".

Jaap

Couple questions, what happens to all the money now? And, if Walt never got shot and Jesse doesn't shoot him (which I can't tell if he knew he wouldn't or Jesse just took pity on him with him already being shot), would Walt have killed himself or let himself be arrested?
It's the DEA's now, I guess. Perhaps the one thing that could have ruined Walt's masterful plan was Jesse's decision not to shoot him - but it obviously didn't. Maybe he would have blown up the lab along with himself?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I'm sad that it's over. I'm sad that Walt's dead, and I'm said that we'll never find out what was next for Jesse. Does he look after Brock? Does he go back to doing drugs with Badger and Skinny Pete? Does he get back into the business? Does his life just tail off? That was the only thing I really wanted answering.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Just watched the final two episodes. Loved them to bits, great ending (not the best, but entirely satisfying) to an excellent show. Some superb scenes in the finale, when he sees Elliott and Gretchen with the lasers, the scene with Skyler (loved how the camera panes in on to him), the showdown. Just sad it's over now. :(

JohnLocke

Just watched the final two episodes. Loved them to bits, great ending (not the best, but entirely satisfying) to an excellent show. Some superb scenes in the finale, when he sees Elliott and Gretchen with the lasers, the scene with Skyler (loved how the camera panes in on to him), the showdown. Just sad it's over now. :(
Same here.

I thought it was a good ending too, nice and neat, but hardly breaking new ground or controversial or shocking really.

Can't believe it's no more :(

Revan

Assumptionman
Liked the episode. Not looking at his car wasn't that bad. After all he was a criminal, but no-one would have expected that he is a big fighter. A lot of things we predicted happened, but I would have wanted Jesse to kill Walt, or Walt to explode the laboratory and die in process.

Anyway, I can't complain. Except that there isn't anymore Breaking Bad to wait for every Monday. One of the best (if not the best) TV show of all time. People will talk for this show decades from now. And Bryan Cranston is a God.

JohnLocke

Call me a sissy, but I wanted Andrea to live. It makes Jesse's survival much less fulfilling without her.
Yeah it was brutal to have her killed, especially the way it happened.

"Kill me, I'm not cooking"
Bang
"yes you fecking are"

It really showed how ruthless and sociopathic Todd was. I still quite like him as a character. I knew Jesse was gonna strangle his ass with the chain as soon as he went to the window.

Glad Jesse made it, even if he is a rat bastard. He's had some serious shit happen to him.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
For me, an excellent ending apart from me wanting Walt to ride off into the sunset, I shed a tear or two when he died

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
A decent ending. Pretty satisfying. The stuff with Skylar and Jesse was very good, that's the heart of the show. The Nazis and Lydia stuff fell a bit flat for me because they're superficial characters. I was never as keen on Todd as everyone else either.

I think all the characters more or less ended up where they should have. Walt getting Gretchen and Elliot to pass the money onto his family was great writing.

Fantastic show. Behind only The Sopranos for me in the obligatory 'best ever' rankings.

Shark

@NotShark
Sad to see this amazing show end, but it ended at just the right time and I have a feeling that one day, I'll just decide to watch them all again. Shed a bit of a tear at the end! :p

vanthaman

Winner
Sad to see this amazing show end, but it ended at just the right time and I have a feeling that one day, I'll just decide to watch them all again. Shed a bit of a tear at the end! :p
Im earmarking this time next year for another run though

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but the Sopranos had flawless acting for the most part. It's put on a pedastal rightfully.

I wouldn't rank Breaking Bad above the Sopranos (or the Wire for that matter) yet, but it's definitely in that echelon.
I was talking about the sort of stuff KingEric7's just said about it in this thread. The acting's great and there's so much depth to the characters, no arguments there. Meadow's storyline was more involving than any of the female storyline's in Breaking Bad which says it all really given how often the teenage kids are an afterthought 9 times out of 10. I just think this stuff about how deeply immersed they were in their roles and how you could see a hundred emotions in one glance from Tony Soprano is all the rest is a bit mental, but maybe it's just KE7 doing his usual thing and speaking in hyperbole from start to finish.

Anyway, I have to say I loved the Skyler ending. She looked like she'd had the heart ripped right out of her, and they did a great job with the makeup. She looked like all the life had been drained right out of her. The setting obviously helped too.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I was talking about the sort of stuff KingEric7's just said about it in this thread. The acting's great and there's so much depth to the characters, no arguments there. Meadow's storyline was more involving than any of the female storyline's in Breaking Bad which says it all really given how often the teenage kids are an afterthought 9 times out of 10. I just think this stuff about how deeply immersed they were in their roles and how you could see a hundred emotions in one glance from Tony Soprano is all the rest is a bit mental, but maybe it's just KE7 doing his usual thing and speaking in hyperbole from start to finish.

Anyway, I have to say I loved the Skyler ending. She looked like she'd had the heart ripped right out of her, and they did a great job with the makeup. She looked like all the life had been drained right out of her. The setting obviously helped too.

What's your problem, Brwned?

I think I remember saying that was exaggerated and poorly posted last time round, but I don't see the problem with anything that was written in this thread.