Television Breaking Bad

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not sure if this has been already mentioned, but why did Walt want Jesse to shoot him? Was it because he thought killing him would help Jesse? Or because it would haunt Jesse and maybe get him in further trouble? Or did he just want a quick end at that stage?

kps88

To be fair, whilst I'm all for debate on the show does stuff like this really matter? The shows over, never going to find out. Could start a debate "Whath appened to Jesse? I reckon he was in a car accident!"

I reckon he got a block down the road and the cops swarmed all over him.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
:rolleyes:

Any competent investigators (and since the case involves two dead federal agents I think they will do more than a herpa derp 'death meth cook died in lab its his lab' retard logic investigation) will piece together the evidence at least well enough to realise that Walt left Arizona and assumed a new identity after Hank's death (since they will find his wallet with his recently made false ID) and that he's been living there for a month or so while the Nazis operate from that lab. The evidence will corroborate with the story that Skyler passes on, and they will have to pin the murders on the nazis.
I don't know what Arizona has to do with anything.

The news report that the Scwartz's were on speculated that as the blue meth was still around that was evidence enough to suggest Heisenberg was still out there. Yes, they will conclude that Walt killed the Nazi's and that Walt was in New Hampshire for a while. But you can't suggest that there wouldn't be huge evidence that this was all Heisenberg's operation. His finger prints wouldn't have to be all over teh lab as it wouldn't have to be him doing the actual cooking. He was the kingpin after all. They could also conclude that things went south with the Nazi's for any number of reasons, including them trying to cut ties with Heisenberg because of the extra heat it brings because he is now known to the cops. You're assuming the the police will come to the perfect conclusion when they have been wrong on so many occasions already. They have Walter White blamed for more than he was actually guilty of. Marie will have told them what Hank had found out and that he was a drug kingpin as opposed to Gus's cook, which is what we know.

I still fail to see how this will absolve him of blame for Hanks death. Hank had Walter in handcuffs and then Hank is found dead. Walter points to where they're buried while blaming someone else for their murder. I doubt they'll just take that story and assume it to be true. If they do conclude that the Nazi's killed Hank and Gomie then it only points further to the fact that the Nazi's were working for Walt and that they came to save him. It was Walt that called them to go to the desert. There would be phone records for that. It then suggests that there are further ties between them, including the possibility that he was still behind the meth operation. So the shooting at the end could have been as a result of a falling out between partners as wouldn't be uncommon. (See, Walt/Jesse, Walt/Gus, Walt/Mike). I'm not saying this is the only possibility but it's a big jump to say he'll be found in the meth lab and they'll conclude that he came back to save Jesse and the Nazi's killed Hank and Gomie and it had nothing to do with Walt. If anything it's evidence that Walt was behind Hank's death.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not sure if this has been already mentioned, but why did Walt want Jesse to shoot him? Was it because he thought killing him would help Jesse? Or because it would haunt Jesse and maybe get him in further trouble? Or did he just want a quick end at that stage?
Walt and Jesse both knew it was the end of days for Walt. I think Jesse knew it because of the situation and the Cancer, Walt knew it was much more final with the shrapnel injury. He wanted a quick death and I think he thought it might help Jesse if he did it. As it was, it did help Jesse because he finally got to make a decision that would suit himself and he left feeling in control and free for the first time.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Hands down the greatest TV show I have ever seen. Can't believe it's over. I remember when I first started watching this, how I'd watch episode after episode, staying up all night because I was desperate to see what happened next. I've never done that about any other show.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Another bit of Walt taking characteristics off people he has killed, did anyone think the way he spoke to Elliot was just like Mike?

The calmess with which he said "If you're going to go down that route, you're going to need a bigger knife" was just like him, he had that tone to his voice that it's all very tiresome and he's in control here.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Very good final episode to a show which can now go down as one of the all-time greats. It was perhaps a bit predictable at times, but I'd rather slightly predictable as opposed to being different for the sake of being different and it not working out. The Nazis didn't have enough development or sympathy going for them at all where them winning would've seemed in any way a satisfactory ending. Walt killing them may have been predictable, but no one who loves the show can say that they didn't love Jesse strangling Todd or Walt putting a bullet in Jack's head. Same with the ricin. It was predictable, but if anyone was going to get caught out then it would've been someone who had such a set routine like Lydia. Plus we all loved hearing that phonecall from Walt.

Some other great scenes in there too. I thought the one with Elliot and Gretchen was great and the moment afterwards was superb. I loved how when Walt entered he was kind of looking around with a "what could have been" look on his face. Once again the show manages to slightly cut the tension with one of those comedic bits they've always been great at.

The scene between Walt and Skyler was great too. Walt finally admitting it was all for him was probably one of the very best things about the whole episode.

Thought the ending itself was apt and it worked, but I didn't like the music. It made the whole thing feel a bit light hearted, as opposed to poignant as it should have been. Overall though, the ending was well worked and suited the series. Great way to go out.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Another bit of Walt taking characteristics off people he has killed, did anyone think the way he spoke to Elliot was just like Mike?

The calmess with which he said "If you're going to go down that route, you're going to need a bigger knife" was just like him, he had that tone to his voice that it's all very tiresome and he's in control here.

Probably best he died then. Don't think I'd have enjoyed Nazi Walt in season 6.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think they had to much to include in one season finale so maybe they rushed things, the way Walt easily killed off the Nazis, what a joke that was.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah but we don't know who that guy was, how he got his number or anything. When first seeing the flashforward, I always assumed that Saul would perhaps give him a list of contacts or something.

Not a huge deal for me anyway, I hear in America you're never 5 feet away from a machine gun.
It would be a pretty stupid thing to show IMO. There's details and then there's detail.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Surprised some people are disappointed. Great end to the best tv show I've watched

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Like somebody said, he bought a gun off him in S3. He knew him.

amolbhatia50k

I think they had to much to include in one season finale so maybe they rushed things, the way Walt easily killed off the Nazis, what a joke that was.
Why was it a joke? It was awesome! Much better than a proper gunfight.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I don't think they had too much to show in this episode although there is an argument that they had too much to include in this final half season. Part of me wishes the likes of Todd, Lydia and Jack had been introduced earlier on in the series and had been given larger overall roles, but as for the episode itself I think they dealt with what they needed to quite well.

kouroux

Why was it a joke? It was awesome! Much better than a proper gunfight.
It was for me, like how he easily he just built that thing, how stupid the Nazi was to not check the car's trunk and how Walt got to his car key which was supposed to be "confiscated". The entire seemed dumb to me. I never expected a proper gunfight, I expected something else to resolve this but not what was written. It was OTT, it reminded how Walt easily escaped from Mike in an episode, that was also stupid. Mr Walt, "that nothing can stop once he puts his mind to it".

amolbhatia50k

Is it? As Brwned said, the Crazy 8 thing was silly, then you've the bath tub, the plane crash, the magnets, Gus, the twins etc etc.

Breaking Bad has always been about creating the ultimate TV drama full of suspense, action and emotion but in order to achieve those things there's always been a need to suspend some form of belief with it, the finale was no different.

I'm not sure why people are underwhelmed by the finale itself or feel that it was too predictable. What did you want them to do exactly? Not kill the Nazi's? Not kill Lydia? Not have closure between Walt and Skylar? Not have Jesse kill Todd? Not have Walt die? A few days ago these are exactly the things that everyone wanted to happen yet somehow now that they have, everyone is suddenly disappointed that they did.
I don't think those things are all that silly. The twins? They were odd chaps but what was unrealistic about them? Gus? Again, don't see it. Sometimes I think you need just look at the crazy shit than constantly happens in the real world to know that reality isn't as confined as it's often made out to be. Too often people see something that isn't perfectly logical to them as unrealistic.

Breaking bad is an extremely realistic tv series for me where every little detail is looked into and that's what makes it special. That doesnt mean the story isn't crazy. But it's crazy in a grounded way. That's what makes it so damn good.

And I agree about the finale. For me, it was the right ending. The way I see it, this show had a three episode ending. And putting those together, they've closed it better than I expected. First the explosion, then the repercussion and finally the closure.

And Bryan Cranston, take a bow. The guy is just ridiculous.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It was for me, like how he easily he just built that thing, how stupid the Nazi was to not check the car's trunk and how Walt got to his car key which was supposed to be "confiscated". The entire seemed dumb to me. I never expected a proper gunfight, I expected something else to resolve this but not what was written. It was OTT, it reminded how Walt easily escaped from Mike in an episode, that was also stupid. Mr Walt, "that nothing can stop once he puts his mind to it".
It made perfect sense how easily he got the car keys. It's not like they would give a shit how close to his reach they were, as to them they were just car keys. It doesn't seem impossible to have built it either. It doesn't tell you how long he worked on it but it didn't seem overly complicated at all.

amolbhatia50k

Perhaps he paid one of the minimum-wage dropouts working in the coffee shop $10k to give the ricin to Lydia? Perhaps he switched it whilst sat at the same table as her within easy reach?

Does it matter how he did it? It's obviously not an impossible thing to arrange, so the fact that he did it should be enough; why do you lot need to know exactly how everything was done and see it as being incredible if you're not walked through the explanation for absolutely everything?
Yep. I think it's counter productive to explain every single thing to the viewer. If they told you about how the ricin was used to poison broc or how walter bought weapons or how he got ricin into a little pouch, it would kill the show.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I think Flynn wearing combats and desert boots showed how he aligned more with 'good' authority such as Hank, the DEA and the Military rather than dressing with say, low slung jeans or something that gives off a 'G' impression. I think it was his transition into being a man. Interesting anyway.

kouroux

It made perfect sense how easily he got the car keys. It's not like they would give a shit how close to his reach they were, as to them they were just car keys. It doesn't seem impossible to have built it either. It doesn't tell you how long he worked on it but it didn't seem overly complicated at all.
It doesn't make it any less silly to me, all in all it really was easy for him to kill them all. This was supposed to be his revenge, it just went down too quickly for me.

amolbhatia50k

That's the point. He IS supposed to be an evil(ish) genius, that's the whole premise of the show. Sure the nazis could have checked the trunk, but why are we assuming they're this super organised fantastic criminal outfit that has brilliant checks and balances?

amolbhatia50k

Exactly. They just thought they were car keys and kept them on the table. Doubt they gave a shit about taking it off him in the first place apart from needling him a bit anyway.

kouroux

That's the point. He IS supposed to be an evil(ish) genius, that's the whole premise of the show. Sure the nazis could have checked the trunk, but why are we assuming they're this super organised fantastic criminal outfit that has brilliant checks and balances?
You're the one who mentioned that BB was realistic but just he fact alone that the trunk wasn't checked shows the entire opposite. They know how dangerous Walt is, they took his money, they should have been more cautious is my point. We're talking about supposed experienced criminals right ?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I kind of got the impression they were always a bit rash. They were brutal and could get the job done, but they got a bit lucky with Walt's world falling apart at the right time for them. Todd was always a bit of an idiot and without Jesse, who would've eventually given up anyway after a long time, they didn't actually have a decent cook.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You're the one who mentioned that BB was realistic but just he fact alone that the trunk wasn't checked shows the entire opposite. They know how dangerous Walt is, they took his money, they should have been more cautious is my point. We're talking about supposed experienced criminals right ?
We also know they're dumb as feck. Todd and Jack are both really stupid and they're basically the two in charge, it's hardly a surprise when one of their henchmen fecks up. Todd, Jack and all of the Nazi's thought they had Walt cornered. Their plan was to lure him in to do business and then kill him. Not one of them considered that he might not want to do business, they thought they'd outsmarted him.

kouroux

I know I'm sounding pedantic but checking out the car's truck doesn't take a lot of criminal experience or even intelligence. It's just common sense, you have an outsider come inside your comfort zone, he's the most wanted man in the country etc etc ... Then again it's all part of the writing so by focusing too much even the greatest shows get full of loopholes.

buckooo1978

Just watched it and it was a great ending.....

Part of me would have loved a reconciliation for Walt and his family and perhaps for him to live....Jesse killing him would have been wrong and it was symbolic on some ways that he died saving Jesse

The ending was apt though for such a great show that didn't drop its quality from Season 1 until the end

RIP Walt!

amolbhatia50k

I kind of got the impression they were always a bit rash. They were brutal and could get the job done, but they got a bit lucky with Walt's world falling apart at the right time for them. Todd was always a bit of an idiot and without Jesse, who would've eventually given up anyway after a long time, they didn't actually have a decent cook.
Yep. They always came across as gung-ho but rash.

amolbhatia50k

I know I'm sounding pedantic but checking out the car's truck doesn't take a lot of criminal experience or even intelligence. It's just common sense, you have an outsider come inside your comfort zone, he's the most wanted man in the country etc etc ... Then again it's all part of the writing so by focusing too much even the greatest shows get full of loopholes.
Thing is, why isn't carelessness allowed? People are careless all the time. Heck, Walt was careless when he got so caught up with the idea of his money being found by Jesse and he's a frickin genius. The nAzis were always brutal and gung-ho but a bit rash and sloppy for me. They enjoyed their lifestyle a bit too much rather than being perfectly organised.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
When Walt pressed the button and the HMG started kicking off, did anyone else get a flashback to Jesse saying "we're going to build a robot?!"?