Breaking - Elon Musk says he will not buy Manchester United

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Elon would be a great owner. He would do what he does with all his projects, which is hire top people to run it and back them up. Owning this team is not a task for the ordinary.
Except Hyperloop which was propaganda.

Sviken

I don't think he'd do it, but it's still good for us. It brings publicity and attention towards our ownership and that's exactly what we need.

Sviken

You wonder about his actual wealth though. Was surprised how much he had to struggle to buy Twitter. Asset rich but poor liquidity?
It's not that he struggled to buy Twitter, it's that Twitter is way overvalued and not at all profitable. Turns out that a huge majority of that site are bots and he chickened out since other than a source of information, it's not exactly anything he can use in a business sense. At least with United he won't have that problem and we'd be waaaaaaaay cheaper, BUT I don't see an actual businessman buying a football club. He has no need for it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
So what does that make him an amazing innovator when young? Lucky? Successful? And of course many will hate him?

Personally I have not thought about him too much until his fake tweet that he's buying my beloved United! haha
Maybe guys have one hit only. He is smart enough to probably recognise that and then moved into a different role of the startup. Other than his first startup, the rest of his startups were never his ideas or his inventions.
So like in starts, you require smarts -- that's a required ingredient for all for sure but most of all its about timing, funding network and luck.

Boondog

Except Hyperloop which was propaganda.
I'm not concerned with the mistakes or tombstones he's left in his wake. If you live life the right way you're gonna have enemies, triumphs, and failures. People judge, but most cannot see what is important and get hung up on nonsense.

Dear God I just used 20% of my post allowance on a pipe dream thread. What is wrong with me.

sglowrider

At least with United he won't have that problem and we'd be waaaaaaaay cheaper, BUT I don't see an actual businessman buying a football club. He has no need for it.
I am sure there is a part of him who will love to have the attention-generating machine that is United. Its not that expensive vis a vis his actual wealth.

Cantonagotmehere

Maybe guys have one hit only. He is smart enough to probably recognise that and then moved into a different role of the startup. Other than his first startup, the rest of his startups were never his ideas or his inventions.
So like in starts, you require smarts -- that's a required ingredient for all for sure but most of all its about timing, funding network and luck.
Cheers, thanks for the feedback

Genius_Cap

Post-Fergie, the entire club structure has been poor. No point trying to run the club like it was in the 90-00s, the whole football world/economy is different now, and we’ve managed this poorly by bringing in and retaining people with limited vision.

I’m not a fan of Elon, but if it meant radicalizing the entire structure of the club and how it is run, I’m all for it, it can’t get any worse than this.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If he buys, he expect the best. Utd will be top club in the world in 5 years time. I pray that he is serious.

andyp

I'm taking that this is complete BS, but is there anyway that this could be a positive in terms of reducing/increasing the value of the club temporalily to force the hands of the Glazers?

sglowrider

I'm not concerned with the mistakes or tombstones he's left in his wake. If you live life the right way you're gonna have enemies, triumphs, and failures. People judge, but most cannot see what is important and get hung up on nonsense.
8 or 9 out of 10 start-ups will fail within 24 months. If you do startups, you will fail more than you will succeed. Fact.

Thats the difference.

You learn to brush off the failure and get up and fight another day. Most can't do that.

FujiVice

He's one of the richest men in the world. Buying Manchester United should be something he'd do on a Tuesday night while bored.

abundance

Supports
Inter
He also backed out of Twitter (or trying to) because the price dropped dramatically and he is overpaying. United share prices won't drop significantly.
Yep, he is trying to back out of Twitter acquisition, it's going to be a long soap opera in court and it's not clear if he can succeed.

As for why... good luck figuring that out. Twitter share price never actually tanked, so that's not the reason.

Tesla stock isn't doing particularly well in the last months so maybe he regretted committing to sell a sizable chunk of his shares to fund the acquisition...
Else, he got bored , or never really meant it in the first place, or whatever goes on in his mind.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's one of the richest men in the world. Buying Manchester United should be something he'd do on a Tuesday night while bored.
He's cash poor (in relative terms). He'd need to put together a consortium, finance the acquisition with debt, or sell a bunch of the stock he has in his companies.

mav_9me

Yep, he is trying to back out of Twitter acquisition, it's going to be a long soap opera in court and it's not clear if he can succeed.

As for why... good luck figuring that out. Twitter share price never actually tanked, so that's not the reason.

Tesla stock isn't doing particularly well in the last months so maybe he regretted committing to sell a sizable chunk of his shares to fund the acquisition...
Else, he got bored , or never really meant it in the first place, or whatever goes on in his mind.
It's totally fine. Was at a high close to 1200$ or so, now at 920$ or so.

sglowrider

Dear God I just used 20% of my post allowance on a pipe dream thread. What is wrong with me.
We used to be allowed to post semi-dressed women on the Caf. So count yourself lucky with this wastage of 20%.

the_cliff

He's cash poor (in relative terms). He'd need to put together a consortium, finance the acquisition with debt, or sell a bunch of the stock he has in his companies.
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/elon-musk-sells-792-million-tesla-shares-worth-69-billion-sec-filing-2022-08-10/#:~:text=Aug 10 (Reuters) - Tesla,with the social media platform.

He can easily buy the club if he wanted to.

Question is, does he really want to ?

He's probably trolling and thought we were private.

BaneIsPain

anything is better than glazers right now.
Do it, Elon. ( I know he's joking)