Breaking - Elon Musk says he will not buy Manchester United

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If its true then its a good move from his side. He will literally own more power. From twitter mobs, crypto, tech and now the most popular sports in the world, football. A bunch of people follow him. What would be better is for millions more to follow him regardless if theyre stupid or not.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He grew up in Pretoria -- where the main sports are cricket and rugby. Football is/was mainly a black sport when he grew up.
Oh , that makes sense, still would be weird trying to buy a football club and knowing nothing about how things work.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
His most retweeted tweet since 11 July. And it's only been 2 hours. He loves attention. Maybe he will buy us just to get more retweets
If he can't be the president of the United States, maybe he's thinking he can be the president of Manchester United (fans) Club. There are more United fans globally than the US population who would vote for him (even if he could run.)

Passitlikescholes

In what universe are they on the same level?

Musk is a bit of a dildo, but he isn't evil.
I don't mean on the same level of despicable, but in the same category of there's certain individuals who are shady enough that I could no longer support

Musk has his racism at his factories, his anti-union stuff, his willingness to support far right policies/politicians in so that it benefits him monetarily, as others have already noted how he treated his workers with Covid, the diamond blood money, the fact that he was heavily subsidized by governments but makes himself out to be this business genius and that his success is all down to him and only him, while at the same time publicly speaking out against any future government investment into other businesses looking at eclectic vehicles, his doge coin con-artist ways in which he is being sued for.

In my eyes, he's scum, certainly not on the same level as the Saudi's but he's still scum. I wouldn't want to support that.

sglowrider

I don't mean on the same level of despicable, but in the same category of there's certain individuals who are shady enough that I could no longer support

Musk has his racism at his factories, his anti-union stuff, his willingness to support far right policies/politicians in so that it benefits him monetarily, as others have already noted how he treated his workers with Covid, the diamond blood money, the fact that he was heavily subsidized by governments but makes himself out to be this business genius and that his success is all down to him and only him, while at the same time publicly speaking out against any future government investment into other businesses looking at eclectic vehicles, his doge coin con-artist ways in which he is being sued for.

In my eyes, he's scum, certainly not on the same level as the Saudi's but he's still scum. I wouldn't want to support that.
I think this is a perfect example of United fans wanting a new owner.

Even if we got one, there is no way the fan base can agree on one..... unless he is Paul Allen but who knows, maybe he is looked upon better now that he's dead. An alive Paul Allen I am sure will get his fair amount of stick from caftards too.

I am sure even Buddha if he could afford United would get a fair amount of stick and be seen as inappropriate. Lazy owner, Always laying around; Meditating? again?; Semi-clothed, whats up with that?

Gearbox Paddy

Looking forward to seeing Elon is the Tollgate enjoying a pint with some real fans.

Something no Glazer would ever do.

Sviken

The guy is cringe so please no, the banter alone won't be worth it.
Some of you guys... I'll never understand. The banter alone? We're in a perpetual state of banter for these past 10 years. I'd happily take his tweets over Glazer ownership any fecking day of the week.

mav_9me

Until you do the math -- that's only $6.9million. Not the billion he would need to buy United.
That's how options work. You pay for the calls. And it's most definitely not Musk with those calls. That would be insider trading. It stinks of someone who knew. That's why it's so unusual and that's why I think it could be real, but it doesn't make sense.

Aouer-United

Elon has sold his stocks worth 4 billions last week and United value have risen up in the last few days, then suddenly he want to buy United? We all thought he was joking about buying Twitter.

Sviken

His most retweeted tweet since 11 July. And it's only been 2 hours. He loves attention. Maybe he will buy us just to get more retweets
If that's what gets him off, I don't care. As long as he rids us of the Glazers, wipes the debt. Let him collect the applause and what not. But I am not getting my hopes up for this. No fecking way. This club is cursed since Ferige left and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

city-puma

That's how options work. You pay for the calls. And it's most definitely not Musk with those calls. That would be insider trading. It stinks of someone who knew. That's why it's so unusual and that's why I think it could be real, but it doesn't make sense.
It seems (based on some rumors circulating over last few days) that there are several groups working on it. With Elon Musk’s tweet, it is almost for sure that Glazers are willing to sell and it’s effectively an open secret now. Musk is one of those most likely.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Manchester United (NYSE: 'M.A.N.U') is a NYSE listed public company(or its subsidaty depends on the structure). Under SEC scrutiny Elon Musk cannot just trolling around saying buying a NYSE listed company unless there is a ongoing process.
As has been pointed out numerous times, he can't actually joke like that about a public listed company.

Someone has to, the stock market will react to these news in some way or another.
He never said he's acquiring the company. If he buys one share, he's technically "buying Manchester United".

ATXRedDevil

I was completely thinking it was a joke until I remembered this unusual options activity a few days ago. Now I am beginning to think this might be real.

The calls expire on 9/16, the day we announce earnings. Seems like an earnings play. The SEC already hates his guts. There's no way he'd be stupid enough to try to blatantly manipulate the market like that.

Alternative is that he's serious about the bid and someone else knows it and traded on MNPI. I find that possibility extremely remote.

My guess is someone has inside info on our year end results and knows we're going to beat wall street estimates.

Isle

Another Publicity Stunt most likely. Will believe it if something serious comes out
Stunt or not, mainstream media follows his every move. This has sparked a conversation about United and Glazers in the media and Glazers like to hide, this media attention is a good thing for us.

::sonny::

Image losing against Liverpool, zero points

Would be the total caos, something you have never seen before in history

Can happen everything

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously Musk being a wum as always. But anyway, if I entertain this as a scenario for a second.. As much of a dickhead as he is... He would almost certainly employ people who know what they're doing and do a lot data based decisions and would at least probably do things to make us successful. He'd also be annoying as feck on twitter and probably make some shite decisions for a while trying to get more involved. Won't happen though.

Drz

Even if it was in jest, best tweet of the transfer window I have woken up to.

Gearbox Paddy

Question guys, would you be happy for him to fund a new stadium if we gave up the naming rights?

The TESLA arena
TESLA New Trafford

sglowrider

Well, this thread has died in a New York minute!!

Remember -- Hope is what keeps us alive. But it's the reality that kills.