Brentford, Liverpool and the coming of age of football analytics?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Also not sure who argued more tackles - better defender thing. I was arguing against the point that "tackling = bad positioning" myth, especially for FBs.
No one did, I was just arguing on the other side of the spectrum. Tackling = bad positioning is not true but if someone would say that tackling = good defending isn't also necessarily true (but it's one of the arguments which is used when saying that AWB is great defensively).

Oranges038

Sure.

You make sure you buy "cliche for football beginner's" book.
At the end of day, when all is said and done and taking all things into consideration. I don't believe I used a cliche in my original comment.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No one did, I was just arguing on the other side of the spectrum. Tackling = bad positioning is not true but if someone would say that tackling = good defending isn't also necessarily true (but it's one of the arguments which is used when saying that AWB is great defensively).
I don't know who uses that, I remember people saying AWB is arguably the best 1v1 defender, not overall best defender as he makes mistakes not defending the far post and makes it way too many times.

AWB wins many tackles as many wingers tries to take him on and around 90-95% of the time they will fail and we have seen that for 2 years.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wouldn't draw that conclusion. Take ManUtd as example, no matter which team we palyed, we always attacked from left wing, not because opponent RB was weak, it's because we had only one functioning side.

Lot of factors to consider to make any conclusion, for example AWB is a great defender 1v1, almost nothing goes past him but overall he is good defender but nowhere near as his one v one defending quality. Shaw as a defender is better. But if we face tricky wingers, I always want them to go against AWB as you know he will block that side completely. When the cross comes in from the Left side, AWB's weakness is exposed as he is poor header of the ball and lacks concentration to defend far post.
Exactly my point. People love to draw a conclusion based on one stat, when in fact if combined with another stat it'd give a completely different reading.

One of the best examples is Fred and passing under pressure. Looking at stats, you'd see that he's pretty good there. Most passes under pressure, but people forget that the reason he's being pressed that much is because opposition believes that they can draw an error from him which can give them an easy shot.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just on the Ole point - The issue of how useful real time data is again relates to how the manager in question is able to contextualise this data and come up with the right response for it under the pressure of the game.

Glad this thread was made - just been getting into Python and Tableau - making basic data visualisations, so getting some info off guys more experienced would be great. Anyone know how much access to real time data costs? Or event data for current season?

roonster09

Scout
Exactly my point. People love to draw a conclusion based on one stat, when in fact if combined with another stat it'd give a completely different reading.

One of the best examples is Fred and passing under pressure. Looking at stats, you'd see that he's pretty good there. Most passes under pressure, but people forget that the reason he's being pressed that much is because opposition believes that they can draw an error from him which can give them an easy shot.
Yeah agree with that. Many stats in isolation doesn't give full picture.

My favourite was people abusing "never dribbled past" "lost possession" stats.

Classical Mechanic

Do Liverpool or Brentford really play such a special role here? Or are they just the ones who have been featured in the press? I know for example that Sven Mislintat (co) founded his own data analysis company and I once heard a podcast with him where he spoke about how big a role such analysis plays in identifying transfer targets. I imagine nearly all clubs who can afford it rely on data analysis these days, it's just such a no-brainer.
The Brentford owner is an Oxford Physics graduate who made his millions with a company called Smartodds which uses statisitics to calculate the outcomes of games to beat the bookies. Whilst most clubs use increasinging amounts of data to make decisions few have been as dedicated or successful as Brentford with the approach. They managed to get promoted to the Premier League for the first time since the 40s whilst making a profit from transfer market dealings, they're one of the poorest clubs in the Championship in terms of other revenue sources.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Good thread. When it comes to advanced analytics in football, yeah, lots of clubs have good internal models nowadays and use it extensively. It obviously gives you an edge. Real time stats can confirm or disprove eye-test impressions of what is happening on the pitch, give information that was missed, etc

In scouting and player development is useful to identify a player's strenghts and weaknesses, etc

I also want to point out that at barcelona bartomeu spent a lot of money to build one of the best departments in the sport, so good other clubs went to them to learn new stuff, entirely as a PR move, while the club did not actually use them at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

pyro07

Supports
Real Madrid
KDB's team used data analytics of his performances in his recent contract negotiation with City.
Really? If so, that's pretty smart of them and probably helped him get more bonuses, etc?

I'm defintely interested in how analystics have come into football so I'll be paying a lot of attention to this thread for more articles and information.

anant

Just on the Ole point - The issue of how useful real time data is again relates to how the manager in question is able to contextualise this data and come up with the right response for it under the pressure of the game.

Glad this thread was made - just been getting into Python and Tableau - making basic data visualisations, so getting some info off guys more experienced would be great. Anyone know how much access to real time data costs? Or event data for current season?
Not sure about how much data costs, but people have been extracting whoscored event data (limited but still pretty exhaustive)

This guy has actually developed a pretty cool dashboard, and you can view the code and extract the raw data(sourced from whoscored) if you want to just play around

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure about how much data costs, but people have been extracting whoscored event data (limited but still pretty exhaustive)

This guy has actually developed a pretty cool dashboard, and you can view the code and extract the raw data(sourced from whoscored) if you want to just play around
Sweet - does it have to be done through R or can it also be done via Python?

anant

It's a python code.

In the 1st code block, you can see the google drive link where the data is saved. So, you can maybe download the data from there for the games

Teja

@Teja I'm capable of visualising data however my web scraping skills suck and I'm a little lazy. Are there sources for Manchester United data? I tried to find some a year back for a project but found it difficult, even accepting I'd need to cleanse the dataset
There are ways to scrape the whoscored data. Think you'd have to use R-Selenium or some other way to automate scraping for all games, else it's going to be an extremely tiring process.

Having said that, whoscored data is limited in some ways - it can tell when a tackle was made, success and failure, etc. but things like press, jockey, closing down actions are unavailable as they don't capture the positions of all players at a given time on tv frame (something Statsbomb has now started providing to their clients)

Hey all! It's been a bit of a struggle getting access to good data. As Anant says, scraping seems to be the way to go.

If you're interesting in mucking around with scraping tools, Understat seems to be a popular target. This is a quick tutorial. He also has a bunch of other useful tutorials on visualizing football data.

There's also some really nice free data from statsbomb but this is historical. You can still build and test algorithms on this data though, it's just not quite instant gratification because 2017/18 feels like a long time ago. I think you can use their python api client (R available as well) to fetch more recent data. I have to play around with it to see what's here.

This playlist has a bunch of talks on how to model higher level things like pressing, threat etc. The whole thing is several hours long so be prepared for that if you start watching :)

And folks are probably familiar already but just scraping from fbref.com can help make interesting visualizations as well. (They use statsbomb data under the hood).

RK

For me the most frustrating thing about being a Man United fan is that we seem to disregard set pieces.
Most other top clubs have started paying attention analytically, some for a few years.
And in my opinion, even the best are many years away from optimal strategy, I genuinely think it could break the game at some point.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah agree with that. Many stats in isolation doesn't give full picture.

My favourite was people abusing "never dribbled past" "lost possession" stats.
I agree fully, stats only become interesting when you start combining lots of different inputs. And my understanding is that, even after all that, clubs will still get scouts to look at actual footage of the player.

Kinda as has been implied here, I think the one thing to keep in mind when it comes to well-run analytics department, is that these people won't simplify anything beyond what's absolutely necessary to keep things manageable. We at home don't have the time to consider everything there is and develop analytical models and watch the player - but those people are professionals who do this full-time, with big money and indeed the future of their clubs at stake. They're not going to take shortcuts.
It's a python code.

In the 1st code block, you can see the google drive link where the data is saved. So, you can maybe download the data from there for the games
I think both R and Python have functions that allow you to insert code from the other and let it be used in the other environment. (I.e., insert Python code in R, within a function that does the conversion for you.) I do know R if ever that might be useful in this thread. I can't do much with its statistical modelling features, but I can handle data manipulation really well. (I love creating long tidyverse sequences. :D )

If I remember correctly, btw, a lot of the freely accessible data behind more complex indicators (like xG) is of relatively low-quality. The paid variant supposedly is better.

roonster09

Scout
I agree fully, stats only become interesting when you start combining lots of different inputs. And my understanding is that, even after all that, clubs will still get scouts to look at actual footage of the player.

Kinda as has been implied here, I think the one thing to keep in mind when it comes to well-run analytics department, is that these people won't simplify anything beyond what's absolutely necessary to keep things manageable. We at home don't have the time to consider everything there is and develop analytical models and watch the player - but those people are professionals who do this full-time, with big money and indeed the future of their clubs at stake. They're not going to take shortcuts.
I agree. Analytics should be combined with scout preparing their report watching the player. It should be both, not one or other.

Love what Brentford is doing, just brilliant to read their story and what they have achieved.

anant

I think both R and Python have functions that allow you to insert code from the other and let it be used in the other environment. (I.e., insert Python code in R, within a function that does the conversion for you.) I do know R if ever that might be useful in this thread. I can't do much with its statistical modelling features, but I can handle data manipulation really well. (I love creating long tidyverse sequences. :D )

If I remember correctly, btw, a lot of the freely accessible data behind more complex indicators (like xG) is of relatively low-quality. The paid variant supposedly is better.
Yeah, xG models of Statbomb uses a lot more variable including GK position, height at which contact was made, pressing at that time, etc. However, if someone wants, they can either model the xG weight themselves by running regressions on a million records or use Understat numbers. Shot over shot- numbers might vary by a significant margin (20% odd), but over a bigger sample, the difference wont be a lot, I believe

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We are in the age of Big Data.
The acquisition of data.
Turning the data into information.
The analysis of that information.
The learning of what the information is telling you.
The information led improvements.
And those who are best at that will be the most successful.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Regarding Midgetland, did they outspend other clubs in Denmark?

I'm sceptical. Didn't Liverpool buy Naby Keita because of his stats? He's been bang average. Didn't Arsenal buy Xhaka because of stats?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is a key bit for me. Take Wan Bissaka for example. He’s praised for his tackles, a lot of them last ditch ones, and he is legitimately excellent at them, but would another player with different positioning (a completely unmeasured and perhaps unmeasurable metric) simply have positioned himself so as not to need to make those tackles?
It is measurable. Probably not in a direct metric the layman would understand.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Comment from Reddit

Overall story is valid but misses that Matthew Benham has spent $200 Million of his own money to get us this far, including a new premier league quality stadium. He is leaving the player sales profits and the soon to be Premier League millions in the club to continue the journey. He even took out life insurance for the club so it can continue if anything happens to him. He is a true fan.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Its hilarious how this myth is taken as gospel. FBs will always have great tackling numbers because they face wingers 1v1. For CBs its different. So FBs no matter how good their positioning is, they have to win the tackle to stop winger who more often that not tries to take on FBs.

This is the prime example of this thread, people don't know how to use stats or give context to them, just go with "more tackles = bad positioning".
Yeah I agree. Look how many times a full back is left one-on-one compared to a centre back. And look at the relative risk of a full back making a tackle and risking a foul, almost always on the side of a pitch, as compared to a centre back, much more likely in or just outside their own penalty area. Stats are great if, and only if, they are presented in the context of all the intricacies of a football match.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I’m sure there’s a way it could be measured, but it’s very difficult. There are a lot of factors at play

adexkola

Supports
I’m sure there’s a way it could be measured, but it’s very difficult. There are a lot of factors at play
True.

Wouldn't put it beyond an advanced degree holder in the computational sciences to put something together. They obviously wouldn't be doing it for free, so the odds of me and you seeing it are nil for a while...

Jam

Definitely, in basic terms you’d be measuring interceptions and also looking at passes to that area of the pitch across a large sample size but have to consider other factors.

E.g. Percentage of balls played by Team A from Area C1 to area B3 across 10 games was 35% average but in game against Opposition X it was 15%, attributed to the positioning of Player Y making it an unusable option etc.

In layman’s terms that’s a basic way of creating a measurable metric but obviously there’s far more in-depth ways to conclude things like a full backs positioning.

adexkola

Supports
Definitely, in basic terms you’d be measuring interceptions and also looking at passes to that area of the pitch across a large sample size but have to consider other factors.

E.g. Percentage of balls played by Team A from Area C1 to area B3 across 10 games was 35% average but in game against Opposition X it was 15%, attributed to the positioning of Player Y making it an unusable option etc.

In layman’s terms that’s a basic way of creating a measurable metric but obviously there’s far more in-depth ways to conclude things like a full backs positioning.
100%.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
@Teja I'm capable of visualising data however my web scraping skills suck and I'm a little lazy. Are there sources for Manchester United data? I tried to find some a year back for a project but found it difficult, even accepting I'd need to cleanse the dataset
Fbref is going for showing per 90 minute stats and comparing players as a percentile across players in the big leagues for that rough position/role, my favourite one to look at though of course you always need to know how to use it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Plus even say you can successfully identify a weakness in a player using those stats, you'd then have to examine the cause of the weakness (i.e. is it something coaching can address relatively easily or a permanent feature of their game) and how that weakness fits into the structure and style of your team (i.e. is it something that will be exposed regularly or something that will largely have little impact due to the team's style of play and the other players in the team).
For sure. There's loads of variables at play in football but it's still useful to look at them and compare them with watching football and see how it stacks up. The problem is when people take it as gospel and especially when small differences are taken as meaningful, when it can easily be explained away by surrounding players/competition/team style. And in terms of scouting, it's not as simple as just even picking the perfect player. Mentality and adaptability of players is something that nobody can measure and realistically project how they'll go from one team to another with different pressures, different group of people and a different location.
But it for sure has its uses and i have no problem using data to compare players, especially as it's an easy way to gauge how a random players generally does over a season and their impact compared to watching them once in a big game a year ago.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Liverpool talking about how they use realtime analytics to affect the outcome of games: https://www.liverpool.com/liverpool-fc-news/features/liverpool-transfer-news-jurgen-klopp-17569689
I got round to reading this article now. It's very interesting - and covers a subjects that's probably as of yet underdeveloped in football.

The way I see it (and I don't think it's happening much yet), analysts should be working with match data in real-time to look at things like available areas of play and other things that help figure out what spaces are available or need to be plugged on the field. They can then communicate their observations to an assistant coach who can make recommendations to the main coach. Are there any rules against players have some kind of earpiece? (I suppose most are annoying physically, but probably something could be developed that players could wear that's not dangerous and does not interfere with their play.) Cause once you have that in place as well, then the tactical battle can really go up a notch, with coaches directing team shape and actions in real-time to react to what the opposition is and isn't doing - kinda like what's happening in American Football already, except without all the breaks in play. ;)

I'm sceptical. Didn't Liverpool buy Naby Keita because of his stats? He's been bang average. Didn't Arsenal buy Xhaka because of stats?
Even with all the stats in the world in play and used correctly, not every transfer won't be a success. Football is a complex game, and stats anyway can't take into account how tactics and personnel might change at the player's new club and how that might affect him, or what else might happent to a player's form. (And in Keita's case, it doesn't help either that he is injured all the time.) Also, if Keita is the only high-profile failure among Liverpool's transfers since they went all-in on analytics, then their transfer business has become a lot more effective than it used to be. (Low-key transfer fit a different conversation, since more risk can be taken with those.)

Teja

The way I see it (and I don't think it's happening much yet), analysts should be working with match data in real-time to look at things like available areas of play and other things that help figure out what spaces are available or need to be plugged on the field. They can then communicate their observations to an assistant coach who can make recommendations to the main coach. Are there any rules against players have some kind of earpiece? (I suppose most are annoying physically, but probably something could be developed that players could wear that's not dangerous and does not interfere with their play.) Cause once you have that in place as well, then the tactical battle can really go up a notch, with coaches directing team shape and actions in real-time to react to what the opposition is and isn't doing - kinda like what's happening in American Football already, except without all the breaks in play. ;)
I'll probably date myself a bit ;) but I remember Hansie Cronje (South African Cricket Captain) wearing bluetooth earphones against India back in '99 and getting instructions from the coaching staff. That blew up into scandal territory back then.

If you put on your black mirror hat a bit, you can even imagine a world where you have coaches yelling instructions realtime into players' ears and almost controlling them like it's a FIFA game. Or why stop at a coach, you can have a game AI updating its model and yelling out these instructions. I imagine it's football nirvana for control freaks like Bielsa.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
The OP was a really good read, especially the Brentford twitter thread

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Well, you don't buy a player because of 'stats', hopefully. You try to use data to create a model, that you think will make for good player assessment. It is guaranteed to give you some failures, since there's inputs you probably can't quantify that well and some you won't even try adding. Then ideally you'd analyze the failures to try and find what the original model didn't pick up.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

We also bought Alisson, van dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Salah and Mane because of stats.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

If you're doing it for kicks and to learn, many sites have embedded tables which you can pull directly to whatever BI tools you're using. I did it from fbref to Power BI. The dataset is modeled once in Power Query and then you just click refresh after each game. But I've never tried it on live data, what would be very interesting to see especially if you can put some AI on top of the stream of data against historical data.
I also want to point out that at barcelona bartomeu spent a lot of money to build one of the best departments in the sport, so good other clubs went to them to learn new stuff, entirely as a PR move, while the club did not actually use them at all :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is that true?
We are in the age of Big Data.
The acquisition of data.
Turning the data into information.
The analysis of that information.
The learning of what the information is telling you.
The information led improvements.
And those who are best at that will be the most successful.
Do you work in Automotive? Because that sounds like 6 stage Industry 4.0 description we use. But it probably applies to all areas.
I'll probably date myself a bit ;) but I remember Hansie Cronje (South African Cricket Captain) wearing bluetooth earphones against India back in '99 and getting instructions from the coaching staff. That blew up into scandal territory back then.

If you put on your black mirror hat a bit, you can even imagine a world where you have coaches yelling instructions realtime into players' ears and almost controlling them like it's a FIFA game. Or why stop at a coach, you can have a game AI updating its model and yelling out these instructions. I imagine it's football nirvana for control freaks like Bielsa.
I got round to reading this article now. It's very interesting - and covers a subjects that's probably as of yet underdeveloped in football.

Even with all the stats in the world in play and used correctly, not every transfer won't be a success. Football is a complex game, and stats anyway can't take into account how tactics and personnel might change at the player's new club and how that might affect him, or what else might happent to a player's form. (And in Keita's case, it doesn't help either that he is injured all the time.) Also, if Keita is the only high-profile failure among Liverpool's transfers since they went all-in on analytics, then their transfer business has become a lot more effective than it used to be. (Low-key transfer fit a different conversation, since more risk can be taken with those.)
With the development of bone conduction headphone technology, it doesn't even need to be in the ear. I'd expect that to happen in next 3 years.

I'd say most people consider stats as a tool to compare player cards like in fifa. This isn't really what clubs are doing with it. Finding weaknesses in opponents, looking for patterns of play to counter them, in which circumstances there is acceptable risk of fullback attacking, players getting tired etc - I'd say at the very least this it the level in which pro football analysts operate. If they are not using AI to detect change in shape or playing style from opponent, I'd expect them to start doing it very soon.
@Teja as a ML specialist, where do you see applications for this technology in football?

Thanks @Cheimoon for the notification, I would've missed a very interesting thread.

I'd be shocked if any club across all top leagues doesn't have an analyst team in place. I mean, I have a friend who works as second coach/ analyst in 2nd tier woman volleyball team in Poland.

Last edited: