Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Isolationism is a curious word to use. Britain will seek trade deals with countries that it couldn't previously due to the EU and trade deals with the rest of the world.
Sure, you can, you must and you will. But what makes you think these trade deals could be better than the ones the EU had? If your country wants to set up a deal with China, why should China give a country of 60 million people better conditions than to an economic block of 400 million? In such negotiations the stronger partner dictates the terms. You've opted to become a much smaller partner...

Kostur

海尔的老板
Sure, you can, you must and you will. But what makes you think these trade deals could be better than the ones the EU had? If your country wants to set up a deal with China, why should China give a country of 60 million people better conditions than to an economic block of 400 million? In such negotiations the stronger partner dictates the terms. You've opted to become a much smaller partner...
You again fail to recognise that EU won't last for much longer. It's a domino effect hopefully that will now take place.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
You again fail to recognise that EU won't last for much longer. It's a domino effect hopefully that will now take place.
Well, I don't share your sentiment. But let's assume it happens. What is exactly is so great about every european nation forced to deal with a country like China on their own terms?

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
It's time to start my campaign I've had in mind, to declare Cheltenham, The Cotswolds and London as an independent state. We will annex the A40 to link is up, taking Oxford along the way so @Silva will be happy too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Obviously the UK will seek to trade with the EU as well, given that we are one of Germany's biggest trading partners and third largest export market, they might be interested in doing business too.

Calling it 'Isolationism' has been a remain buzzword throughout campaigning but it is largely disingenuous to term it that way. It isn't like we are going to start trading local and employing protectionist trade policies for UK goods. It is a globalised world and the UK will continue to be a part of that, just not as part of the EU.
Tbh, not just the stay camp,... But the whole world deems it isolationist. Many world leaders have openly spoken against leave. EU will play hardball. US already said Britain will be at back of queue. India and China counselled against this. It's way way tougher than the leave camp realises. You're going to be surprised if you think the world will just accept trade deals like business usual.

Revan

Assumptionman
The EU is in trouble now. There's a real danger of other countries wanting to do the same now.
And that is why they will feck UK in the negotiations. I think hat from EU point of view, UK must not be allowed to survive this without being severely punished. Otherwise, other states might want to do the same. In France, the far right wing of Le Pen is getting more powerful, and in Italy there is a relatively small party (around 8%) who shares the same view, but more importantly, there is a chaotic party who is gaining power (just won the mayor of Rome) who are against everything (EU, Nato, Russia, China, Italy etc).

Kostur

海尔的老板
Well, I don't share your sentiment. But let's assume it happens. What is exactly is so great about every european nation forced to deal with a country like China on their own terms?
That they are no longer constrained by idiotic European laws which force them to do x and don't allow them do y.

There's no more bloody hivemind that was forced upon us.

Classical Mechanic

A smaller partner yes but one with absolute control of its destiny. Personally I voted remain because there will be short term pain with Brexit.

Sheer size doesn't guarantee prosperity. The Eurozone as a whole has been performing very poorly economically since the recession in comparative terms and has a whole world of its own problems to face.

Brexit has happened so we have to start to look to the future. I see no point in crying.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
And that is why they will feck UK in the negotiations. I think hat from EU point of view, UK must not be allowed to survive this without being severely punished. Otherwise, other states might want to do the same. In France, the far right wing of Le Pen is getting more powerful, and in Italy there is a relatively small party (around 8%) who shares the same view, but more importantly, there is a chaotic party who is gaining power (just won the mayor of Rome) who are against everything (EU, Nato, Russia, China, Italy etc).
Staying to the usual terms is feck up enough. I think the positive of the outcome is, that upcoming anti-EU campaigns will have to deliver substantial arguments, instead of blatant desinformation and appeals to fear.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
That's a grossly inflated opinion of UKs importance to EU.

I really don't get this. Most leave voters don't just want UK to leave..... But really want EU to fail too.

"I don't want this, so nobody else should too! "

Smores

Yeah because that worked well going into this referendum. The EU pulling such moves would backfire heavily and show the citizens of other countries they should leave.

HabeasC

Staying to the usual terms is feck up enough. I think the positive of the outcome is, that upcoming anti-EU campaigns will have to deliver substantial arguments, instead of blatant desinformation and appeals to fear.
Well that's the thing....

I wonder if 'take back control' is a sound economic plan to guide the country through this turmoil?

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
A smaller partner yes but one with absolute control of its destiny.
Well, China will surely care about that

Sheer size doesn't guarantee prosperity. The Eurozone as a whole has been performing very poorly economically since the recession in comparative terms and has a whole world of its own problems to face.
And what exactly implies that the Eurozone would have fared better, if every nation was to its own?

Brexit has happened so we have to start to look to the future. I see no point in crying.
No disagreement here. It happened, and we'll have to look forward.

Wolverine

No chance.

Corbyn's as good as gone.
Hmm you're right, he did say he wants to stay on on GMB but word is there is a coup being organised by Labour MPs. Wonder who'll lead them on if its not Corbyn. Chuka Umunna presumably has same issue that made him drop out. Liz Kendall, Yvette Cooper, one of the Milibands?

Classical Mechanic

Tbh, not just the stay camp,... But the whole world deems it isolationist. Many world leaders have openly spoken against leave. EU will play hardball. US already said Britain will be at back of queue. India and China counselled against this. It's way way tougher than the leave camp realises. You're going to be surprised if you think the world will just accept trade deals like business usual.
I don't think that they will. You have to realise that people with Remain interests (the whole world) used hyperbole for their own ends too. This simply wasn't some good vs evil Hollywood movie. The reality will be somewhere in between.

Revan

Assumptionman
A Polish guy wanting that is one of the weirdest thing I have seen in my life. Weirder than believing in lizard conspiracy.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm interested to hear, will any of you actually consider moving/emigrating now?
I've been out of the UK since last August and I've kind of been looking forward to going back but this has made me think about it a lot more. It really doesn't seem worth it but I miss my friends and family a lot. But if it's just those things that make me want to go back it's not a great sign.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yeah because that worked well going into this referendum. The EU pulling such moves would backfire heavily and show the citizens of other countries they should leave.
People will see UK suffering and think twice about doing the same. And the anti-EU feelings aren't nowhere near as big as in UK.

In two years, UK will be far worse than now, and no-one would want to be in the same position.

Ban

There was a joke that when we enter the EU it will collapse. I don't think EU will collapse anytime soon but this is some huge news.

Cameron has made a right move of resigning, let someone else take the brunt of that big decision.

I'm curious what's Scotland next step.