Brexit related judicial reviews: Supreme Court | Judgment: Prorogation was unlawful

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Proper Trumpian, that No 10 source stuff.

owlo

Sounds like they are getting ready to ignore the supreme court if they don't like the decision
Crazy. Buckland and Cox staying silent is even crazier.

It seems likely that the Court is going to rule against the government, according to experts.
Any in particular? Or just the majority jumping on the bandwagon after reading the infamous owlo on redcafe!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They’re now implying that the judges are suffering from extreme mental health episodes? Lovely.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Sounds like they are getting ready to ignore the supreme court if they don't like the decision
"feck the Scots, they don't count"

That's not what he's said, but that's how the SNP will take it. Idiotic comments from people who think that they're untouchable.

SteveJ

Scout
'In tomorrow's soaraway Sun: free dartboards with a bunch of treacherous judges' faces on them!'

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
One rumour doing the rounds is they would move forward with a queen's speech that included brexit on 31st October with no deal
And remove the whip from any vonservative mp who did not back it ... Then immediately prorouge (win or loose)
Presumably it would take 2 weeks again to decide if they prorogation was legal
Not sure how / when this will all end but I wouldn't be surprised to see the courts involved again over the next month whatever the decsion

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The "source" should be sacked for using the word remainiac.
This is the worst crime of all to be honest. I'm not saying politics has to be completely professional, facts only, thirty seconds to answer a question and another fifteen to retort, but the just get rid of the cringey soundbites.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The "source" should be sacked for using the word remainiac.
Technically didn't best for Britain fund some of the legal costs?
Naomi Smith runs best for Britain and also the remaniacs podcast?
I would suspect that is their "logic" but yeah it's not very priministerial ... More like something trump would say

owlo

Ah the 'we dont look at evidence but circumstantial court happenings as evidence' crowd! Still, they serve a function :)

Not to mention the whole bringing into question the impartiality of the justice system
Hence my comment about Buckland and Cox. How can they let this stand.

One rumour doing the rounds is they would move forward with a queen's speech that included brexit on 31st October with no deal
And remove the whip from any vonservative mp who did not back it ... Then immediately prorouge (win or loose)
Presumably it would take 2 weeks again to decide if they prorogation was legal
Not sure how / when this will all end but I wouldn't be surprised to see the courts involved again over the next month whatever the decsion
He can't. I could write a paragraph or two about next steps, but it would be helpful to see the judgement and any orders first. The government didn't even lose yet. But in short, he can't.

SteveJ

Scout
The Mail, inevitably:

Full bodied red

Isn't it crazy ??

The Government lies through its teeth that this isn't about Brexit.

Miller and Pannick lie through their teeth that this isn't about Brexit

The star witness lied to his wife for years while he was banging Ms Curry and did exactly the same thing that he's now claiming is unconstitutional.

And all this bollocks is, well, exactly what the EU planned all along and has been advising Benn, Hammond and the others how to delay / prevent / stop the UK leaving.

Although I did read something the other day which might be Johnson's get out of jail free card.

Benn's ammendment could be declared unconstitutional as it commits the Government to spending more money that it has already committed to spend ( or something very much like that ) under SO50, is it ? The extra money being the continued contributions to the EU after 31st October.

We need OWLO to explain / confirm SO50 ( is it SO50 ?? ) which prevents Opposition ammendments which cause the government to have to spend more money.

Last edited:

owlo

Benn's ammendment could be declared unconstitutional as it commits the Government to spending more money that it has already committed to spend ( or something very much like that ) under SO50, is it ? The extra money being the continued contributions to the EU after 31st October.

We need OWLO to explain / confirm SO50 ( is it SO50 ?? ) which prevents Opposition ammendments which cause the government to have to spend more money.
To my knowledge there is no problem with the Benn act. Parliament is sovereign; it can enact a bill to give all the money to the dolphins if it so chooses. Looks like some article you've read has twisted logic. Feel free to link it. (Note this is not an amendment, it is a bill.)

There was some talk that the letter was unconstitutional, but it isn't.

Full bodied red

To my knowledge there is no problem with the Benn act. Parliament is sovereign; it can enact a bill to give all the money to the dolphins if it so chooses. Looks like some article you've read has twisted logic. Feel free to link it. (Note this is not an amendment, it is a bill.)

There was some talk that the letter was unconstitutional, but it isn't.

No link - it was a reader's message posted in a US newspaper quoting US radio ( NBC ) discussing SC events on Friday evening.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I've stopped even trying to guess what will happen and what the resulting Tory led stupidity will be.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Nope, but there will be an announcement on timings.

I do think that the stop Brexit bill will also be challenged legally as unconstitutional, and that is why Boris says he won't follow it.
tbf there is a realistic chance boris wont have to as he could be out by 19th?

I assume there will almost instantly be a confidence motion once parliament returns to prevent him trying to prorouge again

i dont think there is any chance boris wins that... equally i dont think there is any chance corbyn can command a majority either but its not inconceivable a compromise candidate couldn't be in place by the 19th to write the extension letter to request time for a GE or referendum

owlo

Nope, but there will be an announcement on timings.

I do think that the stop Brexit bill will also be challenged legally as unconstitutional, and that is why Boris says he won't follow it.
On what grounds? That BJ and the ERG don't like it ??

tbf there is a realistic chance boris wont have to as he could be out by 19th?

I assume there will almost instantly be a confidence motion once parliament returns to prevent him trying to prorouge again

i dont think there is any chance boris wins that... equally i dont think there is any chance corbyn can command a majority either but its not inconceivable a compromise candidate couldn't be in place by the 19th to write the extension letter to request time for a GE or referendum
I suspect he'll try to resign to preempt a confidence vote and impeachment proceedings. There is a very real risk of jail if he tries to prorogue again or push through no deal.

If he wants to prorogue again, he surely wouldn't let parliament sit between the 2 prorogations.

WensleyMU

I really hope we don't start down this road of crying impeachment like the yanks.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I really hope we don't start down this road of crying impeachment like the yanks.
is there even an actual process for impeachment - I know Boris tried it a few years ago against Blair but it went nowhere
without a written constitution I guess it would be quite vague as to to how a process could unfold in both terms of timescales and process?

owlo

is there even an actual process for impeachment - I know Boris tried it a few years ago against Blair but it went nowhere
without a written constitution I guess it would be quite vague as to to how a process could unfold in both terms of timescales and process?
Yes. The attempt against Blair should give an idea of process. Also note that historically, remand [prison until completion] is possible.

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_motion_to_impeach_Tony_Blair

edit part2: you can likely assume Bercow would be a-ok.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
If he wants to prorogue again, he surely wouldn't let parliament sit between the 2 prorogations.
I honestly don’t think they have the balls for that. It would cause absolute chaos on a scale that dwarfed anything we’ve seen so far.

WensleyMU

I honestly don’t think they have the balls for that. It would cause absolute chaos on a scale that dwarfed anything we’ve seen so far.
It may well cause chaos. But it may also further increase the Tory's standing in the polls which so far have grown despite all that's gone before.

There's a growing section of the public who might see it as actually doing something.

WensleyMU

I think whatever happens things are going to get worse... I dont see any senario where it de-escalates
An election, if the result gives a sizeable majority to a party, might see the end of all this.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It may well cause chaos. But it may also further increase the Tory's standing in the polls which so far have grown despite all that's gone before.

There's a growing section of the public who might see it as actually doing something.
Polling can swing very quickly. If the court rules the last prorogation was illegal and they impose another one without parliament having a chance to hold them to account for it, the noise level is going to go up to 100.

WensleyMU

Polling can swing very quickly. If the court rules the last prorogation was illegal and they impose another one without parliament having a chance to hold them to account for it, the noise level is going to go up to 100.
I think the people who will be angry about it are the ones already angry.

As for polling, I don't think it will change. If anything I can see the Tories extending their lead, to the point we might see some polls give a 20pt margin. We have already seen 15pt.

I think the primary reason for this is political fatigue. Put simply the public, a very large section of it are fed up of it. The people who aren't invested in this as either hardcore leave or remain voters, but just want to see progress.

Just to add, Polls do range from a 2pt lead to a 15pt lead depending on which you look at. Average seems to be 7/8pt.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

The star witness lied to his wife for years while he was banging Ms Curry and did exactly the same thing that he's now claiming is unconstitutional.
Yes, this could help Boris's team launch a counter-offensive if the result goes against him, it wont deny the verdict but could muddy the waters even further, who in their right mind let Major get involved?

Just thought, Major's not bringing out a book, like Cameron...is he?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think the people who will be angry about it are the ones already angry.

As for polling, I don't think it will change. If anything I can see the Tories extending their lead, to the point we might see some polls give a 20pt margin. We have already seen 15pt.

I think the primary reason for this is political fatigue. Put simply the public, a very large section of it are fed up of it. The people who aren't invested in this as either hardcore leave or remain voters, but just want to see progress.

Just to add, Polls do range from a 2pt lead to a 15pt lead depending on which you look at. Average seems to be 7/8pt.
If you don’t have strong feelings about Brexit, you’re likely to be just as angry if the government is breaking the law. At its heart it’s about democracy not Brexit.

The astounding thing is that leave supporters are apparently considering lawless behavior by the government acceptable just because it’s to enact something they agree with. It shows a remarkable lack of foresight about how they’ll feel if a precedent is set and a future government starts breaking the law to do things they very much don’t agree with.

owlo

I think whatever happens things are going to get worse... I dont see any senario where it de-escalates
I know its unintended, but this line is directly from the #10 Dominic Goebbels playbook. Make the opposition and the court thinks that whatever happens, you will escalate, and therefore resistance is not only futile but making things worse. Look at the statement yesterday.

I agree. We're nearing the end game if the court rules it was illegal. Divisional court would just strike down his prorogation anyway. More likely he tries to delay the return for as long as possible after the ruling.

Likely we'll hear about closed door negotiating instead, an easing of the position and an obeying the extension bill in return for Parliament not going after him personally/criminally, so he still has his election opportunity as a martyr.

Full bodied red

If you don’t have strong feelings about Brexit, you’re likely to be just as angry if the government is breaking the law. At its heart it’s about democracy not Brexit.

The astounding thing is that leave supporters are apparently considering lawless behavior by the government acceptable just because it’s to enact something they agree with. It shows a remarkable lack of foresight about how they’ll feel if a precedent is set and a future government starts breaking the law to do things they very much don’t agree with.

WHAT ????

It's everything to do with Brexit.

As I said last week - who brought the case in Scotland ? Pro-Brexit supporters ??

Who has now brought this case at the Supreme Court ? Pro-Brexit supporters ??

Almost every single Labour, SNP and LibDem UK politician ( and throw in a few Tories ) has shown that they don't give a shit about Democracy during the past three years - some a lot more than others.

Not too sure about lawless behaviour - the UK is hardly France or Spain or Italy. British people have a remarkably high tolerance of idiots that others in Europe don't have.

But the more that people like Miller and Benn try to ' do it ' their way, and deny the democracy of the Referendum, the more the risk arises of what you suggest. A few thousand Gilets Jaunes in Central London might concentrate the minds very quickly.

But of course, then it will be Johnson's fault. Well. on here at least....