Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm actually not opposed to ending freedom of movement as long as we have a sensible immigration policy. It's the outcome not the mechanism thats important
You're not able to get rid of FOM and avoid a hard Irish border though, are you? Seems like unicorn territory again.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I'm actually not opposed to ending freedom of movement as long as we have a sensible immigration policy. It's the outcome not the mechanism thats important
I think there also needs to be an understanding it's not only stopping people coming to the UK... It's also taking away everybody right to live and work in Europe as well... I think the taking away of that right is pretty important and that currently it is stopping people coming rather than protecting our rights to live and work abroad that takes priority
It is of course a two way negotiation but only one side of it seems to get any attention

Smores

I'm not saying i want rid of it I'm saying that in itself isn't an issue to me. It's a footnote compared to the actual issues.

I think there would be adequote reciprocal arrangements to deliver these rights. They're mutually beneficial

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't wait for the Corbyn fanatics to come in here and defend him

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
one would hope not... but who knows
Gut feel is that in the national interest people should work together...
practicalities are (in both parties) that working with the "enemy" is not acceptable and as somebody else mentioned on here... both could implode
This is rich coming from someone whose actions have resulted in people commiting suicide.

Smores

Gordon Bennett
It's the most fundamental of all.
It might be to the EU project I'm not arguing otherwise. In terms of long term impacts it might be detrimental with anti-immigrant parties rising too.

If our own government followed the likes of Germany in loosened immigration laws and dropped the high wage threshold etc then it's impact would be minimised in the short term. It requires arrangement with a lot of countries rather than the block though

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
The way I understand it, any deal with Europe will involve a backstop. They'll insist on it regardless. Only a no-deal crash out would avoid it, and risk a hard border instead.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It might be to the EU project I'm not arguing otherwise. In terms of long term impacts it might be detrimental with anti-immigrant parties rising too.

If our own government followed the likes of Germany in loosened immigration laws and dropped the high wage threshold etc then it's impact would be minimised in the short term. It requires arrangement with a lot of countries rather than the block though
But the UK have never implemented the rights they already have and would continue to have which is that immigrants have to not be a burden on the state. Why not implement this?

Immigration isn't going to reduce. You've seen that whilst EU immigration has reduced considerably since 2016 it has been replaced by immigration from the rest of the world and supposedly the UK have full control over non-EU immigrants.

Yes it would require 27 different agreements. Single Market is vital to the UK , not "access" to it. All countries have access to it in different ways, it's meaningless. Custom's Union alone is a crumb of comfort , that's all. But you need both.

madzo2007

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even in an no-deal there would be some sort of backstop to keep the border open, just to add to the chaos if it did happen.

www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardelli/eu-uk-brexit-choices-no-deal-delay
Exactly. At a minimum the backstop (in one form or another) is inevitable. It's just a question of how much damage the UK first decides to do to itself, Ireland, the EU and the relationships between all three.

A No Deal Brexit sees the UK having to make the same compromises, just from a much worse position.

caid

The way I understand it, any deal with Europe will involve a backstop. They'll insist on it regardless. Only a no-deal crash out would avoid it, and risk a hard border instead.
A no deal crash out wouldn't create a risk of a hard border. It'd create a hard border. And it would avoid the backstop for about a week until you decide you'd like to be able to trade with the rest of Europe and it'd be the first thing put back on the table.
No deal doesn't solve any problems. They dont go away if you crash out.

Tarrou

why is no deal still 3/1 with the bookies?

it feels kind of 50/50 to me, at this point (although admittedly I have no clue)

Tarrou

we're gonna crash out and the entire country is going to blame Corbyn and Labour :lol:

DavidDeSchmikes

we're gonna crash out and the entire country is going to blame Corbyn and Labour :lol:
that's what May could do, then once an election comes around, the Conservative can turn around and say 'don't vote for Labour and commie Corbyn because he didn't vote for May's deal'

Infra-red

Not paid attention for last few days - any significant progress?
The PM and Corbyn are holding a series of meetings to see whether they can come to an agreement about a way forward vis-à-vis the Withdrawal Agreement.

The swivel-eyed loons and ERG-types on the right of the Tory Party are furious that May is legitimising a "Marxist who wants to destroy the country" (they know that one of them will be standing against him in a General Election pretty soon and so hate the idea that the PM is giving him an opportunity to look statesmen-like).

Meanwhile, Parliament have decided that they don't want to give themselves the opportunity to make any more decisions about anything, and so have voted against having any more indicative votes.

The general feeling seems to be that 'no deal' is now the inevitable outcome and that all anyone in Parliament is really worried about at this point is ensuring that someone else gets the blame when we spiral in to chaos and ruin at the end of next week.

Smores

I'm sure no one else is watching as not much happening but Bill Cash is having a right strop calling Letwin an idiot, the bill rubbish. Said to another MP that he was too incompetent to understand what he's saying.

Proper play ground stuff :lol:

I'm shocked the tories have got away with so much today. Seems Bill Cash is now trying to fillibuster effectively

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Pretty sorry exchange right now.

Cash: "We have to give democratic legitimacy to this bill by requiring consent from the devolved assemblies"

Lab MP: When do you think Stormont will next sit?

Cash: "After exit date, ho ho ho, that's the point."

Scots Nat MP: How come you suddenly now give a damn about the opinion of devolved institutions when throughout this entire process you've ridden roughshod over them?

Cash: "Because I want to cause trouble."​

What a tosser this Cash bloke is.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Nick Boles:
I am no longer a member of the Conservative Party. So I can be blunt where previously I might have been discreet. The PM’s head of communications Robbie Gibb is a hard Brexiter who wants to destroy the PM’s new search for a cross party compromise.