Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fergieisold

Firstly, why did you originally challenge the accuracy of the statement when you evidently knew full well Johnson made those comments?

Secondly, never underestimate the importance of language. It was inevitable that a leading political figure using such language would only embolden bigots.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...terboxes-burqa-islamphobia-rise-a9088476.html

I also worry about someone who would describe the comment that people wearing the hijab/burka resemble letterboxes and bank robbers as "comedy". Not because it's offensive, but because if that makes you laugh then your sense of humour must be pitiful. It's the sort of thing a few 12 year olds might find mildly amusing.
I don’t doubt the impact but the context is deliberately and persistently lied about by the left wing outrage crew. That’s what annoys me.

No he didn't. He used them as epithets of ridicule and threat in order to emphasise as well as he could his position. IE that he finds the niqab/burka ridiculous and oppressive, feels businesses and people in authority should be entitled to ask for their removal during professional interaction but that a blanket ban would be counterproductive and set dangerous precedent.
Did you read the article? It criticised burka bans and defended their right to wear whatever they want even if they do walk around looking like bank robbers etc. Lighten up!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don’t doubt the impact but the context is deliberately and persistently lied about by the left wing outrage crew. That’s what annoys me.

Did you read the article? It criticised burka bans and defended their right to wear whatever they want even if they do walk around looking like bank robbers etc. Lighten up!
Calling women who were the burka bank robbers and letterboxes is not OK, in any context. I thought this much would be obvious.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Kinnock et al are supposed to be trying to amend to bring back Theresa May’s deal I believe.
Not the TM Withdrawal Agreement. But as I understand it, the outcome of the joint TM and Labour discussions which were not presented to parliament.

DavidDeSchmikes

MPs have rejected an amendment which would have required them to have a debate on 21 October on either the existing deal negotiated by Theresa May or any new deal that is agreed with the EU.

Yes: 65
No: 495

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Reporter on Sky News said his sources telling him the EU would grant an extension
Why wouldn't they. Whatever people think about the EU, they have a vested interest in ensuring that the UK exit is as orderly as is possible

Classical Mechanic

“One Nation”, “1922 Committee”. Fecking hell. How many Tory sub-divisions are there? And do they all sound a bit fascist?
One nation Tories are the centrists like Cameron and Osbourne. I think the idea of the moniker is that they look after the common man as well as the rich cnuts. Boris was one once until he figured he could get into power by jumping on the Eurosceptic bandwagon.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
.Did you read the article? It criticised burka bans and defended their right to wear whatever they want even if they do walk around looking like bank robbers etc. Lighten up!
Yes. Evidently you did not as my description of its contents is entirely accurate.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just listening to BoJo is like listening to Trump.
Lies and more lies.
If anyone actually believe that the UK is better off by 'getting into bed' with the US and that we will get a favorable trade deal, compared with our current relationship with the EU, then think again.
The US will always ensure that any trade deal will be on their terms and that they get exactly what they want out of it. It will be on a take it or leave it basis.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
All the amendments?!?! What the feck does this leave us with?!

Or is this a desperate attempt by the Tories to try and get the final version voted down?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

So even after you've seen the tangible impact that Johnson's comments had in facilitating a rise in bigoted and Islamophobic attacks, you still defend the comments as light-hearted and their significance as overstated. Maybe, you could show some humility and accept that the precious snowflakes who were offended at the time were offended for good reason. You keep trying to place the comments 'in context', but there is no context that makes comments like that by a high-profile politician defensible or justifiable. Imagine the uproar in the press if Corbyn had written an otherwise perfectly reasonable article about Jewish rites but included within it comments that made jokes (and childish and unfunny ones at that) about the appearance of Jewish men when they wear the yarmulke.

Dante

Average bang
The passing of the Kinnock Amendment means that Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement is back on the table.

Well, well, well...

DavidDeSchmikes

From Sky

Sky said:
Amid some confusion among journalists and MPs in the chamber alike, they are now voting on the third reading of the bill, as amended (see below).

The legislation would compel Boris Johnson to delay Brexit to avoid no-deal on 31 October.

But in an intriguing twist, an amendment which essentially resurrects a version of Theresa May's deal has been passed as well and becomes part of the bill.

Smores

What's happened? Was putting little one to bed.

Don't believe they couldn't find a teller, did they not just go through unopposed?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Not with all those Brexit Party MEP's remaining in place in the EU Parliament and attempting to create havoc wherever possible, the Farage/Boris axis 'fifth column' writ large I suspect.

At the end of the day it has to be remain by revoking A50, or out with No deal... it cant be anything else.
The Brexit Party won't bother turning up after a while - same as UKIP. Not a great concern for the EU parliament.

I have the impression that the UK parliament are finding excuses not to leave (and that includes the Brexiters) and will delay it as long as possible but eventually will be no deal.

Dante

Average bang
"We need to take control back!"

*Steers right into a dtich. Gets out of the ditch. Steers right back in.

owlo

Apparently it was a government whip who failed to turn up.

Once last attempt from boris to engineer a fail on the bill?

DavidDeSchmikes

Bill to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October is passed by MPs and now goes to the House of Lords

VOTES FOR: 327
VOTES AGAINST: 299

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The passing of the Kinnock Amendment means that Theresa May's Withdrawal Agreement is back on the table.

Well, well, well...
Not quite. It apparently is the WA but with the changes resulting from the joint TM and Labour discussions.

Smores

Boris doesn't understand the bill he's bought the viral nonsense that we have to accept any extension the EU proposes.

It doesn't