Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NWRed

Thread on what will be introduced on Monday

Smores

Would be a nice final act for Bercow, he'd love the opportunity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the government think this will be the case and are happy to allow the courts to go that route. Although i still think Boris will send it but do something childish like sign it from parliament.

Called it, was all just bravado to distance himself from it as if that's going to be enough to justify his broken promises again.

Also he'll be in the courts Monday. They promised to the court they wouldn't send another letter to frustrate the will of the law.

Flying high

Whataboutism. Neither is good.
The point is that she was mildly heckled and desevedly so for the divisive rhetoric she continually spouts in the media.

To then complain about it in a holier-than-thou manner is prize winning hypocrisy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Called it, was all just bravado to distance himself from it as if that's going to be enough to justify his broken promises again.

Also he'll be in the courts Monday. They promised to the court they wouldn't send another letter to frustrate the will of the law.
A former Tory cabinet minister said Johnson was clearly behaving in a way that was “against the spirit of the Benn act”, which required him to have asked for an extension by 11pm last night if no Brexit deal had been approved by parliament by then, or parliament had not given its backing to a no-deal outcome.
The former minister said: “I think this will end up in the courts again. This is clearly against the spirit of the Benn act and is not consistent with the assurances that were given by Downing Street to the Scottish courts about applying for an extension. It will also put government law officers in a very uncomfortable position.”
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/19/humiliated-boris-johnson-under-huge-pressure-to-seek-brexit-delay

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Not a bad day from Boris' point of view, he's still moving towards the 31st, and the big killer letter deadline everyone's been waiting for seems to have left the opposition more wondering what to do next rather than him.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Not a bad day from Boris' point of view, he's still moving towards the 31st, and the big killer letter deadline everyone's been waiting for seems to have left the opposition more wondering what to do next rather than him.
Well from what I can gather they won't have to wonder for long, the case will be in court on Monday.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Sending an unsigned letter, feck me we've got really childish (as if it wasn’t before). Dare I ask, does the letter have to be signed?

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
does an unsigned letter mean anything?
yeah, I know why he's doing it, just that he's not following the intent or even the letter of the law by not signing it, right? :confused:

Smores

Sending an unsigned letter, feck me we've got really childish (as if it wasn’t before). Dare I ask, does the letter have to be signed?
I've yet to see anyone suggest it has to be signed no. It's just all a big show of defiance from Boris so he can claim he didn't extend.

Now we just need the EU to do the sensible thing and give us enough time so we can get a referendum through. It's in their interests economically and as an example to other nations not to waste their time trying the same

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It is very juvenile. The Benn Act definitely stipulated explicitly that the PM had to sign it (actually, I think it said 'signed by the Prime Minister' so the fact he's sent a photocopy of that could, I suppose, count?) However, I suspect that the fact he has sent it and Tusk has confirmed that he has received it should suffice to make it immaterial, really. The potential trouble will be if the other letter can be deemed to be an attempt to frustrate the Act. I've read that the government's argument is supposed to be along the lines that because government policy prior to the Act was to oppose an extension then it is not contrary to the Act to restate what their policy was beforehand.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I've yet to see anyone suggest it has to be signed no. It's just all a big show of defiance from Boris so he can claim he didn't extend.

Now we just need the EU to do the sensible thing and give us enough time so we can get a referendum through. It's in their interests economically and as an example to other nations not to waste their time trying the same
It seems crazy to leave. The country is split, parliament is in turmoil, the leave vote proved to be based on lies, the government lying to the queen. What the feck are we achieving with this shite? We’re fighting for the right to feck our own economy, it’s not even like we’re causing all this mayhem for something worth while

Surely, with this much carnage, you should be retaining the status quo or at least having a confirmation

Smores

A lot of gammon on twitter angrily trying to argue that Boris has stuck to his word and hasn't actually sent a request because he's not signed it and its just a photocopy. Bless the knuckle draggers :lol:

Amadinho is the goat
Scout

The EU aren't stopping Labour proposing a Referendum Bill or adding it as an amendment though are they? Couldn't Labour have done that today?

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
The EU aren't stopping Labour proposing a Referendum Bill or adding it as an amendment though are they? Couldn't Labour have done that today?
There already was one today which was selected but as Letwin passed the house was not divided on anything else as the government effectively pulled the vote.

Labour know it does not have the numbers for a second ref as first and foremost it has a big problem within its ranks because of the MPs in big leave seats. They want to be seen to support their constiuents "wishes" because they probably will want to continue being their MP. Only way is to threaten them with deselection and that will make them fall in line but no point of that just yet as the numbers aren't there even if all of Labour supported it. The DUP however will shift the balance so we will see what happens.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It is very juvenile. The Benn Act definitely stipulated explicitly that the PM had to sign it (actually, I think it said 'signed by the Prime Minister' so the fact he's sent a photocopy of that could, I suppose, count?) However, I suspect that the fact he has sent it and Tusk has confirmed that he has received it should suffice to make it immaterial, really. The potential trouble will be if the other letter can be deemed to be an attempt to frustrate the Act. I've read that the government's argument is supposed to be along the lines that because government policy prior to the Act was to oppose an extension then it is not contrary to the Act to restate what their policy was beforehand.
not sure it did

Smores

As UG said there was one in a statement of support but it wasn't legally binding. A legally binding bill won't pass whilst there's no time to enact it and that can only be given by the EU.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
There already was one today which was selected but as Letwin passed the house was not divided on anything else as the government effectively pulled the vote.

Labour know it does not have the numbers for a second ref as first and foremost it has a big problem within its ranks because of the MPs in big leave seats. They want to be seen to support their constiuents "wishes" because they probably will want to continue being their MP. Only way is to threaten them with deselection and that will make them fall in line but no point of that just yet as the numbers aren't there even if all of Labour supported it. The DUP however will shift the balance so we will see what happens.
Thanks UB & Smores, I didn't know there had been one today. I too was thinking about the DUP, and whether if Corbyn whipped for a Repeal Act, or a Referendum, he might make it, if he wanted to that is. This letter-writing is nonsense as far as I can see, it's just playing into Johnson's hands. Should be more chances to come though.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
not sure it did

Yeah had another look and all I can see is the letter has to end with the phrase 'Your sincerely, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom...'. As I said, it seems immaterial anyway. The extension has been asked for. It will be the content of the other letter that could be problematic for him. We'll find out on Monday.

Abizzz

The point is that she was mildly heckled and desevedly so for the divisive rhetoric she continually spouts in the media.

To then complain about it in a holier-than-thou manner is prize winning hypocrisy.
Also the sheer arrogance of thinking people are so stupid that they believe stuff like:
Andrea Leadsom said:
In making it impossible for us to sign up to that( deal), it actually makes the problems with the Northern Irish border harder to solve, not easier to solve.

Respect is won by respectable people. I see no reason anyone should be respecting brexiteer tories at this point in time. Not after their behavior the past 3 years.