Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
My initial thought was along these lines. But I've since been convinced that finding option for the second referendum will be difficult. In your example there is only 1 in 4 remain options. Surely this bill would be hard to get everyone to agree on?
Single transferable vote. Although there is only one remain option the first votes for the least liked option will go on to their next preference and so on, it would almost certainly come down to remain v the most popular leave option, which would be fair.

Look at this way, if there is merely a confirmatory vote then Farage's lot will say people only had a choice between crap remain and a crap deal, so the vote didn't count. Put no deal in as an option and they'd get what, 10%?, they would lose anyway, and would that not be a good thing?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I'm not sure lack of losers' consent got us to here. May's deal would have passed if it had had the consent of all of the winners, i.e. Brexiteers. Failing that, she could have compromised sufficiently to pass a deal acceptable to some remainers and most Brexiteers. We got to here because of Brexiteers kept shifting the goalposts towards a harder and harder version of Brexit and May's failure to reach out to the losers.

Regarding the election, if Tories win, we will exit with their deal. They will claim disingenuously that it is the 'will of the people', even if it most likely has no majority in the country. Presumably, the losers - remainers and soft Brexiteers among them- will have no choice but to consent to it.

Compared to that, I think Labour's offer is likelier to get wide acceptance amongst the electorate.
If the Tories win I will be saying there should be a second referendum of all the choices, just the same. It looks like neither party will offer that, unfortunately.

Fully Fledged

Does that mean it was probably just as well Labour didn't win last time regarding Brexit? Waiting with bated breath for the new version.
I don't know a lot depends on where we end up on Friday 13th. If we are headed for a Tory/Brexit Party coalition then we might have been better leaving under Corbyn's softer Brexit deal 2 years ago.

RedChip

If the Tories win I will be saying there should be a second referendum of all the choices, just the same. It looks like neither party will offer that, unfortunately.
Except the Tories are not offering one. So, it sounds like you are holding Labour to a higher standard of fairness.

Fluctuation0161

Single transferable vote. Although there is only one remain option the first votes for the least liked option will go on to their next preference and so on, it would almost certainly come down to remain v the most popular leave option, which would be fair.

Look at this way, if there is merely a confirmatory vote then Farage's lot will say people only had a choice between crap remain and a crap deal, so the vote didn't count. Put no deal in as an option and they'd get what, 10%?, they would lose anyway, and would that not be a good thing?
I see your point.
How many preference votes would you put in? Just 2, or 3? That's 4 options with at least 2 preferences minimum.

At what point, in your opinion, does it become too complicated for a public vote?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I see your point.
How many preference votes would you put in? Just 2, or 3? That's 4 options with at least 2 preferences minimum.

At what point, in your opinion, does it become too complicated for a public vote?
I don't think ranking 3 or 4 as 1,2,3,4 is too complicated. I would choose STV for general elections personally, but that's another subject again.

Eire Red United

When we vote on GE we know there's an end date.

Your arguing apples and oranges.
The Brexit question was a ridiculous one that really never should have been put to the people. Even people who are fairly clued up and actively interested don’t fully understand the complexities of Britains relationship with the EU and what a deal would entail. No one knew what leaving the EU meant. Customs Union? Single Market? Norway? Canada? Would Brexit pass now that people realise the mess it it going to cause no matter the deal?

Not to mention the pure indefensible lies of the £350 million a week which would be put into the NHS, how many votes did that lie win? Also, no matter how much Brexiteers try to deny it, a huge chunk of votes were based on nothing more than xenophobia and “those bloody foreigners taking our jobs init”. Would people have voted for Brexit if they’d even stopped to consider the shit storm its going to cause in relation to a border in Ireland?

I think the question needs put to the people again for sure.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He never got to negotiate a deal so we don't know what the deal he would have got would have looked like. I just don't think it would have been as bad as a Tory/Brexit Party deal would be.
You just said we would have been better leaving under a non-existent deal, which no one knows anything about. I don't think so.

Fully Fledged

They don't back either May's or BJ's deal.

Any deal is better than no deal. Unfortunately, I can't see anyway out of this shit. Unless there is another hung Parliament and somehow we get a second referendum out of it.
That's what I mean it would have to be a worse deal than is on the table now or no deal for them to back the Tories.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I don't know a lot depends on where we end up on Friday 13th. If we are headed for a Tory/Brexit Party coalition then we might have been better leaving under Corbyn's softer Brexit deal 2 years ago.
But that is an utterly pointless Brexit, what's the point in leaving to stay so close to the EU? It satisfies neither Brexiteers nor Remainers. The whole thing is a shit show though and there are no easy outs. Let's just have another Civil War and chop the Queen's head off.

Fluctuation0161

I don't think ranking 3 or 4 as 1,2,3,4 is too complicated. I would choose STV for general elections personally, but that's another subject again.
Everyone needs to understand the nuances of each plan. Would it not discourage non politically motivated people?

I may be playing devils advocate here though. Because I do agree that another referendum is probably the only way to go. We are in such a mess that putting complex questions to the public may be the only way to resolve.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Corbyn's proposal two years ago was impossible but even supposing it was, it wasn't a soft Brexit. Being in a customs union (like Turkey) and conducting your own trade policy would mean a customs border ( big trouble for the UK and NI/Irish border). Secondly removing Freedom of movement automatically rules out the Single Market. So it was more of a dead duck than May's deal, which still remains the best realistic possibility so far without actually remaining but it's a long way removed from Remain.

If Corbyn proposes the same nonsense again in the 2019 manifesto...it's really beyond belief.

Sweet Square

Does it not? I mean, he's retweeting some random "jokes" from other folk. Thought it was a wind up personally.
Yeah mostly likely although this stuff had thinking it might be not a troll account

Just sounds like one the tories on here. Might be giving him too much credit calling him a troll.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
So the people will have a choice between Labour's deal, which will include freedom of movement, and Remain, also with freedom of movement. Which is great for those that want freedom of movement, but those that do not won't exactly have a choice will they? Corbyn must be hoping there aren't too many of them around in five week's time, and Farage has been hiding under a rock somewhere I suppose. Glad his position's clear now anyway.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
So the people will have a choice between Labour's deal, which will include freedom of movement, and Remain, also with freedom of movement. Which is great for those that want freedom of movement, but those that do not won't exactly have a choice will they? Corbyn must be hoping there aren't too many of them around in five week's time, and Farage has been hiding under a rock somewhere I suppose. Glad his position's clear now anyway.
If you want to have a chance of severing all ties with the EU vote the Brexit party. *

If you want to have a chance to leave in a non damaging way vote Labour. *

If you want to have a chance at remaining vote Labour. *

If you want to have a chance at leaving with the current deal vote Conservative. *

If you don't really care what happens but want to feel like you did something anyway vote remain alliance Lib Dem, Plaid & Greens. *

If you're a racist cnut vote UKIP. *

If you're an idiot don't vote. *

* not you personally but the population in general.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You've highlighted the problem with Corbyn's approach/potential deal but you can apply the same deductive reasoning to absolutely anyone's approach. 17.4m voted for Brexit and there is hundreds of different interpretation/expectations. If you get a deal it will be considered too soft a Brexit by some and too hard by others and the other half of the country don't want a deal at all.

It's funny how Boris's position doesn't come under the same scrutiny.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
You've highlighted the problem with Corbyn's approach/potential deal but you can apply the same deductive reasoning to absolutely anyone's approach. 17.4m voted for Brexit and there is hundreds of different interpretation/expectations. If you get a deal it will be considered too soft a Brexit by some and too hard by others and the other half of the country don't want a deal at all.

It's funny how Boris's position doesn't come under the same scrutiny.
I agree. Perhaps I should have included the point I made in earlier posts that any new referendum should give voters a range of choices, as that is my main point. Apart from obvioius fairness if people aren't given the chance to vote for something approximating to their wishes they will claim fix and rigging and we'll be back to square one, Farage and all, in a few year's time.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If you want to have a chance of severing all ties with the EU vote the Brexit party. *

If you want to have a chance at leaving with the current deal vote Conservative. *

If you don't really care what happens but want to feel like you did something anyway vote remain alliance Lib Dem, Plaid & Greens. *

'A chance of remaining'. With a clear powerful message like that what could possibly go wrong?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I agree. Perhaps I should have included the point I made in earlier posts that any new referendum should give voters a range of choices, as that is my main point. Apart from obvioius fairness if people aren't given the chance to vote for something approximating to their wishes they will claim fix and rigging and we'll be back to square one, Farage and all, in a few year's time.
Have you tried to plan a list of choices before? It's a shit show and the more you try to make it fair the less fair it becomes. If you start making it ranked choices and building decision trees it becomes an absolute mess.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
'A chance of remaining'. With a clear powerful message like that what could possibly go wrong?
Its the best chance possible. If there's a better chance let's discuss it as long as you don't say Lib Dems because that's just plain stupid.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Does anyone, even Corbyn, know what this credible deal is? Are the EU likely to accept this credible deal, whatever it is? Can they do all of it in 3 months when it took May 3 years to get her deal on paper and Johnson 3 months to amend that deal a little bit?

Drainy

We can always implement restrictions on people from the EU who live here for more than 3 months without a job or proof of means, like we always had the option to but decided it wasn't worth our while.

If you aren't happy with that it says a lot about you.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

You are kidding, presumably.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

If you want to have a chance of remaining vote for the party who want to leave in a non damaging way (even though there apparently isn't a non damaging way)
Well that's cleared that up

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We can always implement restrictions on people from the EU who live here for more than 3 months without a job or proof of means, like we always had the option to but decided it wasn't worth our while.

If you aren't happy with that it says a lot about you.
That could well be highlighted in a future remain campaign. It seems I have to be tiresome and say once again my point is that if there is another referendum people should have a range of choices to vote for, and not just a rigged two.

Drainy

That could well be highlighted in a future remain campaign. It seems I have to be tiresome and say once again my point is that if there is another referendum people should have a range of choices to vote for, and not just a rigged two.
I guess that would be ok if there was alternative voting in place.